• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator comes on 10 discs, according to Aerosoft

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fancy getting a physical copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator instead of the digital version? Then expect it to come on 10 discs.

01_microsoft_flight_simulator_standard.jpg

"Aerosoft will bring the two boxed versions of this venerable simulator to customers in Europe," Aerosoft's Mathijs Kok wrote in a forum post. "Including 10 (!) double-layer DVDs and a printed manual in a spectacular box, it is an ideal way of entering the new age of flight simulation."

So, what do you get for your 10 discs? Well, the retail version of Microsoft Flight Simulator contains the simulator code itself (which is relatively small in terms of data), and the virtual world it's set in, which, according to Aerosoft, is around 90GB. There's also "optional online streamed content", and optional third-party files.

The standard edition costs €69.99, and the premium edition costs €129.99. Both come on 10 discs. Feels old-school, but I like it.

microsoft-flight-sim-2020-hardware-specs.jpg

=======

Why not use a single UHD Blu-ray (100GB)? Still fits XSX with a single disc, this is the PC version. DVD's are the new floppy disks.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is really cute. Like they know that a lot of the boomers playing Flight Sims will still want to own a physical copy and install it from disc.

I'm quite excited, so's my girlfriend since she's a bit of a travel/plane nerd and - before yesterday - didn't even realise flight sims were a thing. Showed her some footage and she's gobsmacked.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
90 GB is a bit low for 10 disks, isn't it? Should have been much bigger since the entire world is in the game!

It's more than 2,000TB for the whole thing, that's why you need a good internet connection for streaming. And here are the recommended settings.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
this is ridiculous. who on PC still uses a disc drive? i could see the use of a bluray drive but even at that it'd only be an external one for....illegal things (argh me m8y these be salty seas!!)

just fire the game on Steam or even MS Store. there is no need to release a physical version for PC. i could agree with it for console but even then...it's just stupidity.

LordOfChaos

Why not use a single UHD Blu-ray (100GB)? Still fits XSX with a single disc, this is the PC version. DVD's are the new floppy disks.

The install base is tiny on PC. It's small for blu ray at all on desktops, and a fraction of that for UHD. Physical being the "just in case you don't have great internet" option, that cross section would cover almost no one.

As hilarious as 10 disks is, still makes more sense than UHD blu ray for PC.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
It's more than 2,000TB for the whole thing, that's why you need a good internet connection for streaming. And here are the recommended settings.

jeez we need a solid 50Mbps internet connection? i mean, i get a solid 200+Mb/s and play on PC over wired so not really a problem for me. i'm thinking of people with shit internet over wifi and of course console owners.

they will need to add a setting for low quality satellite data for consoles and on PC for those playing on min spec.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The install base is tiny on PC. It's small for blu ray at all on desktops, and a fraction of that for UHD. Physical being the "just in case you don't have great internet" option, that cross section would cover almost no one.

As hilarious as 10 disks is, still makes more sense than UHD blu ray for PC.

You can have an external UHD Blu-ray? I have no discs on mine actually.

jeez we need a solid 50Mbps internet connection? i mean, i get a solid 200+Mb/s and play on PC over wired so not really a problem for me. i'm thinking of people with shit internet over wifi and of course console owners.

they will need to add a setting for low quality satellite data for consoles and on PC for those playing on min spec.

Well, I think many future Xbox SX owners would still have access to such speeds. I don't think XSX would need low quality settings, but it's a given that it'll have different LOD's for different speeds/HW as the chart suggests. But Radeon VII is actually 16GB VRAM not 8, but that's the needed portion.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Isn't the streamed satellite data optional in the first place? I don't think you even need constant internet connection in the first place.

TheMan

Honestly not seeing the point. I get that some people don't have internet, but a game like this will accumulate many gigabytes of patches just in the first year anyway. Plus, the tech requires a robust internet connection to stream the scenery. So you'll be stuck with an ugly broken game if your internet sucks.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
2 PB of Bing Maps data was used to create the game world. Not 2 PB of game data.

So magically those 2,000,000GB are now 90GB? No, you need 90GB for a starter and your planes and offline small setups, good for Universities and Flight Academies, if you wanna travel the world, you need 50Mbps connection to stream on the fly. Go check the recommendation chart.

dispensergoinup

Gold Member
I had hoped the physical version would be a cool big box homage to the older games.

If you're gunna send out 10 discs might as well make it look grand. Right now it looks like a brochure.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I had hoped the physical version would be a cool big box homage to the older games.

If you're gunna send out 10 discs might as well make it look grand. Right now it looks like a brochure.

We should move on from DVD's, CD's are still relevant for high quality music, I guess.

14mb-floppy-disk-64gb-usb-drive-5tb-hard-drive-1000000-tb-image-123rf-angry-gf-remembering-all-of-my-past-mistakes-18fKz.jpg

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
So magically those 2,000,000GB are now 90GB? No, you need 90GB for a starter and your planes and offline small setups, good for Universities and Flight Academies, if you wanna travel the world, you need 50Mbps connection to stream on the fly. Go check the recommendation chart.
Maybe you should have gone back and read my post. Nowhere I said 2 PB magically became 90 GB.
There's 2 petabytes of geographical data behind that game, that they're then using Azure AI to stitch the seams together so as you're flying, you're seeing a seamlessly connected Earth.
Flight Simulator will feature Asobo's in-house developed game engine, and leverage Bing Maps data, accessing over two petabytes of data from the cloud on demand.
Thats not game data. The Game Engine will use Bing Maps to generate the world, but thats not game data.
It's more than 2,000TB for the whole thing

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Maybe you should have gone back and read my post. Nowhere I said 2 PB magically became 90 GB.

Thats not game data. The Game Engine will use Bing Maps to generate the world, but thats not game data.

You know what's the problem with your post? That I didn't disagree with you in the first place in those points. The maps are still 2,000TB in size and you would need a 50Mbps connection to stream and travel around the globe seamlessly.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
You know what's the problem with your post? That I didn't disagree with you in the first place in those points. The maps are still 2,000TB in size and you would need a 50Mbps connection to stream and travel around the globe seamlessly.
And I never said the map magically became 90 GB. And I now you need a solid internet connection for this.
So magically those 2,000,000GB are now 90GB? No, you need 90GB for a starter and your planes and offline small setups, good for Universities and Flight Academies,
For reference I am the one who made the 2 PB news thread
I didnt mean to trigger a response chain, we can stop if you thought that was a misunderstanding. I just quoted you because you said actual size of the game is 2 PB.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Maybe for some fast switching of regions? Like without loading...

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You can still travel around the globe without internet connection, the scenery just won't look as great.

Skyr

I didn't buy a physical PC game since Need for Speed Underground in 2003.

Retired my DVDRW drive about 8 years ago.

This is for the hardcore boomers.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
And I never said the map magically became 90 GB. And I now you need a solid internet connection for this.

For reference I am the one who made the 2 PB news thread
I didnt mean to trigger a response chain, we can stop if you thought that was a misunderstanding. I just quoted you because you said actual size of the game is 2 PB.

Ok, let's see some offline gaming of it when it's released and compare and see how that turns out.

Top Bottom