• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator announced for Xbox One, PC

Mista

Banned

Microsoft announced Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox One and Windows 10 during the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. It will launch first for Windows 10 in 2020, followed by Xbox One at a later date.

Here is an overview of the game, via Microsoft:
Microsoft Flight Simulator is the next generation of one of the most beloved simulation franchises. From light planes to wide-body jets, fly highly detailed and stunning aircraft in an incredibly realistic world. Create your flight plan and fly anywhere on the planet. Enjoy flying day or night and face realistic, challenging weather conditions.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is specifically designed to celebrate flight simulation fans through a focus on the authenticity of flying and visually stunning environments. By revamping our tech, working in close collaboration with the community and pursuing the best partnerships across the industry, we intend to deliver the best-in-class flight simulation experience.

Last edited:
What a time to be a kid, they have flight simulator looking this real! I'm really jelous I didn't have such tools to practice piloting!

55daefcc7c6d836b1d998fb1

1_1.jpg

God, I remember playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 for the first time. So confusing, crashed so bad, but it was so fucking fun. If this is VR compatible, then I'm in heaven.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Microsoft announced Microsoft Flight Simulator for Xbox One and PC during the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference. It will launch in 2020.

Here is an overview of the game, via Microsoft:

🤩 they upped the realism up a notch and brought the full experience to consoles... great 👍!!!

mango drank

Aw yiss. Last one I played was FS 2004, and I spent like an entire summer on it. Love the new PBR materials / lighting / realism.

VR would be cool, but in my experience with cockpit sims (EVE Valkyrie, GT Sport), VR isn't that big a deal for these IMO. You see the cockpit in 3D, and that feels cool for a second, but the scenery outside is so far away it barely feels 3D, just feels like a distant backdrop. Doesn't add much aside from a sense of larger scale. That said, it'd be sweet to try. Definitely looking forward to this.

Last edited:

Stuart360

This was my game of the show, simply because i know it will have full controller support on PC because of the XB1 version.

This is the fucking Game of the Show. Holy fuck. Any VR info? Microsoft Flight Simulator was such a big deal back in the day, but it fell off at some point and I'm unsure why. Now was definitely the perfect time to bring it back, especially if it supports VR.

DUDE could you imagine if we got a joystick with the same level of attention that they put into elite controllers??

Just think if we got a Sidewinder elite joystick. :messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_smiling_hearts:

Microsoft deserve a lot of praise for this. The target audience must be tiny, yet they still did it. I know it was a staple PC game way back when. So, well done Microsoft

pr0cs

+1 for VR support. X-Plane 11 is good but I can't help but think it's time for a new flight sim refresh

Ascend

Yeah it really looked impressive... Definitely the best announcement of the show, apart from Halo Infinite.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This looks gorgeous. Respect to Microsoft for re-entering this niche. It's a show of good faith to PC gamers, no doubt about it.

EDIT: also cool that it is coming to Xbox One. For some reason, I thought it was PC-only. :pie_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Paperboy

Nice scenery and all, but where's the gameplay footage..? :messenger_winking:

God, I remember playing Microsoft Flight Simulator 98 for the first time. So confusing, crashed so bad, but it was so fucking fun. If this is VR compatible, then I'm in heaven.

There will be VR support, official or not. Microsoft would be leaving money on the table if they didn't implemented av VR mode.

JimiNutz

Banned
Highlight of the conference for me and I've never even played a flight sim before.
Looked unbelievably good in terms of graphics anyway.

Solomeena

Banned
This is the fucking Game of the Show. Holy fuck. Any VR info? Microsoft Flight Simulator was such a big deal back in the day, but it fell off at some point and I'm unsure why. Now was definitely the perfect time to bring it back, especially if it supports VR.

It fell off because MS betrayed PC gaming to bring Xbox to the world, that is why.

Buzzy42

Neo Member
Very excited for this, probably moreso than anything else specifically announced. This is the sort of game I'd imagine AI and cloud stuff would actually work really well for. Probably a day one for me...

It fell off because MS betrayed PC gaming to bring Xbox to the world, that is why.

Yeah, though I think a part of gaming also abandoned PC outside of certain genres, for quite a while (but a lot of genres have a had a comeback the recent years). FSX, P3D and XP seems to be the sims for enthusiasts atm, but I hope the new Flight Simulator game will take things to a next level. I'm ready to invest in a nice set of flight controllers if this is good and VR compatible (not a must, but greatly appreciated at least and likely will be implemented some way through mods, though best if it was designed to work with it).
I do share my concerns that they won't go all in on the sim aspect and that it won't at least be somewhat moddable.

Interesting. Flight Simulator was literally the first game Microsoft ever made, a long time before XBox even existed. This is Microsoft getting back to its roots!

egocrata

Banned
This will confirm its status as the oldest active gaming franchise ever. 35 years old under MS, more than 40 overall. It is literally older than me. It is not even really a game, you can actually learn to fly a plane with this.

I still have my FS 5.1 disk somewhere. My 486 DX2 was built around it.

Pallas

Gold Member
The visuals looks amazing with this game! I haven’t played a Flight Simulator game in ages and would love to play the next one on console! Thank you Microsoft.

Hari Seldon

Those visuals looked stunning. Pretty cool that it is coming to console as well. Time to get back into siming. I have a CH yoke and rudder pedals collecting dust haha.

Wonko_C

Aw yiss. Last one I played was FS 2004, and I spent like an entire summer on it. Love the new PBR materials / lighting / realism.

VR would be cool, but in my experience with cockpit sims (EVE Valkyrie, GT Sport), VR isn't that big a deal for these IMO. You see the cockpit in 3D, and that feels cool for a second, but the scenery outside is so far away it barely feels 3D, just feels like a distant backdrop. Doesn't add much aside from a sense of larger scale. That said, it'd be sweet to try. Definitely looking forward to this.

You just described my general experience with Ultrawings/Rush VR and other games that show you great heights: It feels "flat" somehow.

It would still be a cool option. We really need a flight sim that doesn't run like crap even on the most powerful modern PCs because it was made before multicore CPUs took off.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was blown away by the visuals. I mean - it's Flight Simulator, you know what you're getting and it's always been exactly what they say on the tin.

But damn this looked incredible.

What a time to be a kid, they have flight simulator looking this real! I'm really jelous I didn't have such tools to practice piloting!
I was blown away by the visuals. I mean - it's Flight Simulator, you know what you're getting and it's always been exactly what they say on the tin.

But damn this looked incredible.

Pretty cool for casual market but I am not investing in another flightsim.

This Prepar3d which is what Lockheed Martin made when the bought the original FSX engine this is what I use as a dedicated flight simmer the 737 is made by a company called pmdg and its study level addon with everything as it is in real life.

Here is another video showing the Boeing 777 also made by pmdg

Last edited:

Makariel

I used to play MS flight simulator 4.0 a lot. The graphics were blowing my mind at the time.

94118-Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_4.0a_(1989)(Microsoft_Game_Studios)-1495961663.png

I still have my old CH flightstick somewhere, too bad modern computers don't have joyports anymore.

As a fan of the older games and as someone currently studying for their recreational pilots license, this was one of the major highlights of the show for me. What a great announcement.

Last edited:

T-Cake

I've always wanted to play Flight Simulator but never had the patience to learn it. Now I'm older and wiser (and the controls will be configured for gamepad) I might finally get to give it a go. Well, if it's on Game Pass, I'll definitely give it a go. It's going to look beautiful on a big 4K television.

Last edited:

C4lukin2

Banned
This is my favorite announcement at E3. So far.

And looking at old school Flight Simulator, it was like you could fly from airport to airport, and 20 bucks to visit Hawaii.

This could be super fun... if you are into flying a plane..

The ideal best is you will not buy each plane. Maybe you buy a faster plane, It the entire planet is yours if you are willing to wait

Top Bottom