• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Wonko_C

Got the game last friday... just doin keyboard/controller for now. I've got a GTX Titan X 1080Ti (12GB) with an i7-5960X and 32gb of RAM. I'm getting like semi-solid 30fps at 1080 with ultra preset. I've tried to make adjustments to get a higher fps, but even High feels like a gigantic step down in terrain detail. Are my expectations misaligned here? Even if I upgrade to a 3080 later this year, should I still expect sub 60fps at 1080 ultra? I thought I had a beast machine.. but this game is making it feel old af. Is this just how it is? or do they need to do better optimization? I am running it off a SSD. "lollipop_disappointed: Makes me worried my machine won't handle Cyberpunk well.

I did a short hop from Ibiza to a nearby island yesterday - gorgeous.
I also did a night hop in Africa onto a very short unlit dirt runway and it was an absolutely terrifying landing experience.

Never expect 60fps in a flight simulator, they have always been incredibly taxing on the CPU. Set it up so you get stable 30fps in the most demanding scenarios (big cities, harsh weather) with the best visuals you can.

I still don't know how will they pull off VR in this title, how is it going to get constant 60fps? Let alone 90.

Do you know what that's like these days? We've got the fucking U.S. Navy all over the place. You got frogmen. You got EC-2 aircraft with satellite tracking shit. You got fucking Bell 2-09 assault choppers up our asses, man. We are losing one out of every nine loads. That's no duck walk anymore, let me tell you.

Have those who have bought the deluxe or premium deluxe editions made enough use of the additional content to feel they are a worthwhile purchase? The price per item makes them good value compared to buying a stack of 3rd party ones, of course.

Wonko_C

That was fast. I'm curious about the performance in VR. Digital Foundry should be all over this but I guess since it's VR the chances for that are slim.

pr0cs

Any good tips/videos on improving control.

Using your standard gamepad controller just doesn't work, not enough buttons/mapping to be terribly user friendly.
Using M/K just isn't fun at all, flying with keypad is exercise in frustration, at least with default keymaps, analog flying with digital keys is just goofy.
Unless a HOTAS etc are simply required to make the experience less frustrating?

Rex_DX

Gold Member

Using your standard gamepad controller just doesn't work, not enough buttons/mapping to be terribly user friendly.
Using M/K just isn't fun at all, flying with keypad is exercise in frustration, at least with default keymaps, analog flying with digital keys is just goofy.
Controller is absolutely viable but not with advanced settings. Turn down the "difficulty" by putting a lot of things on automatic and a controller is perfectly fine.

If you do want to use more functions, and you're opposed to mouse and keyboard as it seems, then ... yeah a HOTAS is your best bet. They can be had on the cheap but my advice is to buy something midrange. A super cheap HOTAS will just compound the aggravation a complex peripheral can entail in the setup.

Let me know if you'd like some recommendations.

That was fast. I'm curious about the performance in VR. Digital Foundry should be all over this but I guess since it's VR the chances for that are slim.
Performance in VR is...bad. :D

On a Quest 2 using Link cable:
If I set the VR resolution in-game down to about 60 percent and reduce almost every setting to LOW (and a few set to OFF), then I can ALMOST hold 72fps on a 10900K with 64GB RAM and a 3080.

But even then, it's still a little weird, as the movement in the cockpit is still a little hitchy for some reason. Could be the NVIDIA drivers which seem to be causing odd performance issues in VR for a lot of people right now.

Just use a controller and m&k at the same time. Plenty of buttons.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Performance in VR is...bad. :D

On a Quest 2 using Link cable:
If I set the VR resolution in-game down to about 60 percent and reduce almost every setting to LOW (and a few set to OFF), then I can ALMOST hold 72fps on a 10900K with 64GB RAM and a 3080.

But even then, it's still a little weird, as the movement in the cockpit is still a little hitchy for some reason. Could be the NVIDIA drivers which seem to be causing odd performance issues in VR for a lot of people right now.

There are LOT of gains in tweaking this thing. When I first started playing it was indeed horrendous for me as well.. I'm running it in VR (HP Reverb G2, WMR) with a GTX1080 (still waiting for my 3080) at 1970 MHz, a 8700K CPU at 4.3 GHz and 32GB RAM, and after tuning the sim is running quite good (relatively so) now (especially in the cockpit of smaller aircrafts). I can't tell you exactly what to do because we're on different platforms, and the G2 has 4K resolution.. But since I've got a much slower GPU there must be plenty for you to do to improve things.

In WMD I've installed "Open XR" and set it to 50% render scale and disabled reprojection. Depending on the area I'm flying in I can use 100% down to 70% render scale inside the flight sim settings. The clarity is in general still top notch, I can read the cockpit dials easily.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So for some reason I got this game in my YouTube recommendations and... I binged on lot of official videos. I have XSX so I guess as was posted above the game by default will have a lot of things on automatic?

Is this just a sandbox game or are there any missions / challenges / achievements?

Also, I'm fascinated by the tech behind this game - does it use any sort of Azure or map service to recreate perfectly the locales?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So for some reason I got this game in my YouTube recommendations and... I binged on lot of official videos. I have XSX so I guess as was posted above the game by default will have a lot of things on automatic?

Is this just a sandbox game or are there any missions / challenges / achievements?

Also, I'm fascinated by the tech behind this game - does it use any sort of Azure or map service to recreate perfectly the locales?
You are going to enjoy this:

Schmick

It uses Bing maps to get it mapping data. Some places are even using photogrammetry technology.
The image below is a good example of photogrammetry in use. I believe Bing Maps has an update cycle every 28 days so as Bing Maps improves so does FS2020 albeit you tend to have to wait for official updates from Asobo.

Weather data is provided by Meteoblue giving accurate resprentation of the weather in real time albeit this can be buggy sometimes but Asobo are always updating this game and we have been told that they will continue to support FS for 10 years. Its quite exciting to think about how FS will look over that time.

There are not missions as such. Its a flight simulator, you fly from to A to B but taking in the spectacular scenery and weather and setting your own routes.. There is for the PC mods that add missions and they are supposed to be very good. I'm hoping that Asobo allows modding on the XBX/S versions.

7LhOyex.png

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You are going to enjoy this:

Thank you - I like noClip and their documentaries (the one for Witcher 3 and FFXIV was great). Incredible achievement, I am surprised there was no large gaming publication that gave this game GotY 2020, looks like it pushes entertainment in a new direction.
It uses Bing maps to get it mapping data. Some places are even using photogrammetry technology.
The image below is a good example of photogrammetry in use. I believe Bing Maps has an update cycle every 28 days so as Bing Maps improves so does FS2020 albeit you tend to have to wait for official updates from Asobo.

Weather data is provided by Meteoblue giving accurate resprentation of the weather in real time albeit this can be buggy sometimes but Asobo are always updating this game and we have been told that they will continue to support FS for 10 years. Its quite exciting to think about how FS will look over that time.

There are not missions as such. Its a flight simulator, you fly from to A to B but taking in the spectacular scenery and weather and setting your own routes.. There is for the PC mods that add missions and they are supposed to be very good. I'm hoping that Asobo allows modding on the XBX/S versions.

7LhOyex.png
Can't wait to play it on my Series X, you will probably be able to tweak a lot of things including 'just chill mode' with a controller, which is what exactly what I need.

sCHOCOLATE

7LhOyex.png
The detail for the Yokohama Bay area is impressive.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Really cool video. I'm in awe of what Asobo was able to accomplish.
Double Yes, as I said MSFS2020 is a killer app for me.

The NoClip guy has talent for making the games sound awesome though: I resigned after watching his FF XIV 2.0 series :LOL: (already had intention to buy this game and the XSX for it before though hehe...glad I did because finding XSX units would have been hard for months).

Last edited:

It's crazy to me just how much is being simulated at the same time in MFS.

To get an idea how accurate their propwash model is, you can go to this location in Valdez Alaska and do this kind of thing to a lesser extreme in the game with the Beachcraft. Stand on the brake and throttle up, the tail will pick right up and if the wind is in your favor the plane will take off in the length of a midsize car.

The weather model uses a global tool that accurately measure wind conditions around the globe. For an example of this tech go here:

In MFS you can opt to make the weather however you want with extreme conditions allowing you to take off while parked with the engine off if you want.

Last edited:

Lux77

Is there any similar app for tablets that are real pilots using, with airfield charts and real-time map tracking? Don't mind if its payable.
RL example

Top Bottom