• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Anyone have the coords of a good place to takeoff and then see the hurricane? I tried but I think I was just in the middle and it was all just grey and rainy. Also I couldn't get above the clouds, what altitude is usually above clouds?

GHG

Gold Member
28.0529341,-92.797164

A lot of people flying around hurricane laura currently scenery is beautiful yet scary. If any GAF members live near stay safe!

Going to check it out now.

Seen a lot of great shots from the area.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I flew to the storm earlier. 1000 feet and above:

JCNID.jpg

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-27-08-2020-22-53-22.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-27-08-2020-22-45-34.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-27-08-2020-22-23-45.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-27-08-2020-22-37-52.png

But then above ~32,000 feet:

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-27-08-2020-21-24-56.png

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-27-08-2020-21-25-13.png

Checked google maps for the the location of Hurricane Laura, went there and it was chaos. Lots of activity though from other people checking it out.

This tech is incredible.

Last edited:

Catphish

Just loving this game so much.

Me and a buddy have been making our way from Chicago to Dallas, in short 1-2 hour flights, stopping in STL and Arkansas. Today we flew over Ft Worth into Dallas, and it was pure zen. Just checking out the lay of the land, checking out the farms and wind turbines, seeing little towns nestled into riverbends, past AT&T Stadium and into the density of Dallas proper... just friggin awesome.

A sight-seers delight, and this is just the boring shit in the great plains. 👍

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Wish I could play this with like a jet pack. Let me fly around like Iron Man kind thing. Still. Looks incredible. Game is an achievement.

So how does the realtime weather actually work? It's not actually replicating the satilite images of the weather is it? Surely it just knows it's rainy, or partly cloudy, or a hurricane and then just produces it's own image of that weather type?

GHG

Gold Member
So how does the realtime weather actually work? It's not actually replicating the satilite images of the weather is it? Surely it just knows it's rainy, or partly cloudy, or a hurricane and then just produces it's own image of that weather type?

It grabs the conditions for the area you are in (wind, temperature, precipitation, humidity, cloud coverage, etc, etc) from online on the fly and then renders them in-game.

It's not based on live satellite images, it's data that's being fed to the rendering engine that is then able to accurately simulate the conditions.

Honestly, this game should have been a marquee XSX launch title, marketed heavily highlighting its unique features. There really is nothing like it, and even though I use my co pilot to fly the plane, im simply in AWE seeing the world in its purest form with live weather. Its really an amazing experience.

I explored hurricane laura

021kBC.png

0211p9.png

021ZSm.png

02tcqq.png

02t5we.png

02tyza.png

02txCQ.png

02tff0.png

Last edited:

Droxcy

It seems like a perfect fit to me to merge Forza with this tech and give us a driving simulator that allows you to drive anywhere in the world.

I'm moist just thinking about it.

That's what I'm hoping the new Test Drive takes on but I'm sure they'll just make an island like before

Jonsoncao

Banned

Someone used the slew mode (a fast travel god mode without plane physics) to outrun the landscape auto-generation system...
to watch how AI creates 3D cities from 2D imagery data (in the link above, time-stamp'd).

Anyone have problems with the trim, or know why mine might go full nose up or down when engaging autopilot? Even if I'm just using heading mode it will sometimes just go into a nosedive so I switch to the outside view and can see my trim is all the way up? It's weird. When I try to correct it, it fights against me until I turn to ap off.

It's ruined two flights already today.

Wow this thread died quickly.

Anyway thought I'd mention that the update is live. It's not very big and i didn't have any issues with it. Can't notice any improvement to fps or loading time but that was never promised.

Dane

Microsoft TGS show will have something in regards of Flight Simulator, perhaps Tokyo fully scanned?

GHG

Gold Member
Wow this thread died quickly.

Anyway thought I'd mention that the update is live. It's not very big and i didn't have any issues with it. Can't notice any improvement to fps or loading time but that was never promised.

Not played it since Wasteland 3 released but I will definitely return to it.

Interested to see what TGS brings but not expecting much TBH.

tryDEATH

I wanna see how much you can push this on a RTX 3090, it just looks so breath taking.

The only thing I wish they would have added was a fighter jet and a helicopter in the launch line up of aircraft's, hopefully we won't have to wait too long to get them.

Not played it since Wasteland 3 released but I will definitely return to it.

Interested to see what TGS brings but not expecting much TBH.
Fair enough, I'm almost itching to play something else - something more gameified but then I fire up flight sim and am blown away all over again. I wish I had time for multiple games but I don't usually. I am tempted by Grounded on gamepass though, apparently it's a looker.

Anyway, I'm currently going East to West across America in stages in my little Cessna caravan (VFR), taking in the sights and learning about the places below. It's awesome. Currently in West Virginia. I'm also trying to learn how to navigate the airspace and trying to read sky vector but man it's complicated. I've watched a few videos on VFR charts but still struggling a little.

I'm also circumventing the British isles in the caravan, currently in Cornwall. I also take breaks from these two trips to load up places for sightseeing and screenshots, and I'm trying the landing challenges too. Might try a bush trip this evening.

Bit of a waffle but I'm bored in an uber lol.

Reactions: GHG
I wish it had more training scenarios and challenges.

I'm not good at coming up with stuff to do myself. I need the devs to say do this thing, in this area that looks great btw, in this weather and time of day.

GHG

Gold Member
How is that possible? I thought there were no fighter planes in this game yet?

WIP mod. The amount mods for this game are going to be insane once people get to grip with the tools.

I wish it had more training scenarios and challenges.

I'm not good at coming up with stuff to do myself. I need the devs to say do this thing, in this area that looks great btw, in this weather and time of day.

Try reddit flight sim for some route ideas. Failing that just pick a country you're interested in seeing the topography of and pick a couple of random airports that will take the right amount of travel time for you.

GHG

Gold Member
I think Microsoft should make sure FS 2020 is a launch title for XSX.

They need to drop the idea of trying to squeeze this into the current gen consoles and go full steam ahead with this.

This sim is the best thing they have going for themselves at the moment and they are not using it like they should be.

So just play the game on medium? Watching the first handful of examples, there's zero difference between med and high, and ultra is just a bit finer shadows.

For some settings ( like water or grass ) medium should be fine but others you'll definitely want Ultra.

Ultra for clouds for sure. Also Ultra for Windshield effects.

Some of the other effects I'm not really sure what they do. Maybe the guy didn't choose a scene that's suited to show off the differces - for example Contact Shadows.

They need to drop the idea of trying to squeeze this into the current gen consoles and go full steam ahead with this.

This sim is the best thing they have going for themselves at the moment and they are not using it like they should be.

All the next gen console SSD / compression / load time blablabla could really prove itself with this title. Even with a SSD it takes freaking ages to load the game just into main menu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom