• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

VFXVeteran

Banned
So I'm nearing the end of the training session and I realize that there aren't many gameplay modes to venture forth into. That leaves this sim pretty sparse as far as content is concerned. I'll give them a pass however as they worked really hard on the tech just to get the sim into the form it's in. It's based off the old software OOP design "closed for modification but open for extension". They have a masterpiece here. I can't wait to see what types of additions they make for the sim in the coming months.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Guys, I really need to play this game. My current rig can’t handle it properly so I will be building a new one after Ampere is available but, what CPU would be better for it: 3900X/3900XT or 10900K?

Running a 3900x and it's smooth as silk.

Not sure how the 10900k compares.

Quite a few of the bigger youtubers who cover this game are also on AMD CPU's. Gamermuscle is on a 3900x and Squirrel is on a 3950x.

GHG

Gold Member
So I'm nearing the end of the training session and I realize that there aren't many gameplay modes to venture forth into. That leaves this sim pretty sparse as far as content is concerned. I'll give them a pass however as they worked really hard on the tech just to get the sim into the form it's in. It's based off the old software OOP design "closed for modification but open for extension". They have a masterpiece here. I can't wait to see what types of additions they make for the sim in the coming months.

Wut.

Pick a plane, pick and airport and get flying. You have the whole world at your disposal, what more do you need?

This is a simulator first, not some game with ADHD considerations. Would you like some XP with your trim adjustment sir?

VFXVeteran

Banned
Wut.

Pick a plane, pick and airport and get flying. You have the whole world at your disposal, what more do you need?

This is a simulator first, not some game with ADHD considerations. Would you like some XP with your trim adjustment sir?

Oh absolutely. I can pick a plane and go flying for sure. I can even do cross country.

BUT it wouldn't hurt to have a goal of some sort where you are graded for performance. DCS (digital combat simulator) had missions for every single plane you bought. Goals to complete. I'm sure FS2020 will have some eventually.

GHG

Gold Member
Oh absolutely. I can pick a plane and go flying for sure. I can even do cross country.

BUT it wouldn't hurt to have a goal of some sort where you are graded for performance. DCS (digital combat simulator) had missions for every single plane you bought. Goals to complete. I'm sure FS2020 will have some eventually.

I get that but for me it's more fun to just pick some random airport and go flying rather than be led down any particular path. Me and the wife flew around Madagascar today and ended up finding some old dusty abandoned airport to land on in a place called Ambodiatafa because we were running out of fuel.

There are quite a few very challenging landing challenges that will take you some time to complete though (especially if you're not satisfied with being way down the leader boards) . The A320 at Gibraltar is no joke.

If I land at a starred airport, any idea why it doesn't add to my starred airport count in my profile? It's still on one. I didn't get the flight over screen, I've never managed to get that!

Again, help please. Anyone?

Airplane Boneyard, Arizona

EMo0R8B.jpg

TitanNut88

Yes but the boards they go into can be quite different.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII hero or Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero, those are the boards I was checking. Prices in Spain are quite similar also but I’m not sure if both boards performance is similar though.

Running a 3900x and it's smooth as silk.

Not sure how the 10900k compares.

Quite a few of the bigger youtubers who cover this game are also on AMD CPU's. Gamermuscle is on a 3900x and Squirrel is on a 3950x.

Thanks for that!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII hero or Asus ROG Maximus XII Hero, those are the boards I was checking. Prices in Spain are quite similar also but I’m not sure if both boards performance is similar though.

Thanks for that!

The 3900x tends to be cheaper over in the states by about $50-$60 last time I checked for a drop of about 7-10 percent (again last time I checked)

But if this is strictly a gaming centrist machine I think you are in way overkill territory at 3900x to begin with. What GPU and resolution are you going for?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Still no go....
Around 10-20 fps and some times I just crash because there’s no refresh .

It may be because is downloading game map? I will turn that option off and check.

My download speed is around 70 Mb/s But is not helping at all.

take a screen of your graphics settings.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Erm no maybe not the approach gates aid, just the marker pin that says pattern entry. Is that different?

There's an option in "Aids" part of Settings I think ... it turns on the flight path ... big help on landing because it shows you where you enter the pattern and the path it takes. Also helps with speed management. There's a taxiway visual aid as well - a must have IMO if you don't happen to have a binder of airport information in front of you

Stuart360

Oh wow guys, you want an ever BETTER looking version of the game?, do the manual caching in the Data options.
There were parts around New York, like Nework for example, that looked bad because the data hadnt loaded in, and wouldnt for me even when circling the area for ages. I did the manual caching of New York, and Nework, and all the other problem areas looked beautiful!.
I'm betting a lot of the dodgy pics and vids havent done manual caching
Going to try it on some other areas i noticed that had problems.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Seriously, no help yet?

This game isn't relaxing at all, it's stressful. Nothing works and nothing explained.

Trying the last training mission. Flying to the gold club but it doesn't clear the objective. I think I'm at the right direction and have been going for more than long enough.

What's going on? Don't know. Game doesn't tell me and no one in the 'community' will help.

Man, f this pos buggy mess.
I had the same problem, turned out I was no where near the golf club.

Fly directly over the runway leaving the departure airport on the correct heading, once you get to the first destination start looking at the ground for the golf club 'its in the middle of the town irc. Fly directly over it at the new heading towards sedona.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Fly directly over the runway leaving the departure airport on the correct heading, once you get to the first destination start looking at the ground for the golf club 'its in the middle of the town irc. Fly directly over it at the new heading towards sedona.
Use the compass degrees and it will lead you to it.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Oh wow guys, you want an ever BETTER looking version of the game?, do the manual caching in the Data options.
There were parts around New York, like Nework for example, that looked bad because the data hadnt loaded in, and wouldnt for me even when circling the area for ages. I did the manual caching of New York, and Nework, and all the other problem areas looked beautiful!.

What's the catch?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
How do you do that? I was digging through the menus and couldn't figure it out. It didn't seem like I had a big problem with this but I also don't know what the max quality looks like.

I did notice the suburbs near my dad's house seemed lower quality but it's not near any landmarks I could spawn at, I kind of have to navigate there by feel from thenl nearest major city and it was difficult to find so, it wouldn't surprise me if the game couldn't figure out where I was going to load it in.

Last edited:

Thanks, I did all of that the first time and missed it.

Tried again and it was fine and managed to clear the tutorial. Thanks for the help.

How does multiplayer with randoms work? I'm worried that I'll mess up the pattern near an airport, jump the queue and cause a crash or something, ruining people's game. Is that possible or likely? Can people radio me to yell at the noob who is ruining the immersion?

M.W.

Great tool to plan our routes

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What is everyone doing with controls? 360 controller is twitchy as fuck.
I had to set my deadzones as they were at 0% and was constantly pitching and rolling.

Set deadzones to 15% and sensitivity to -50% or so to get better granularity over the controls.

Last edited:
Trying to trim with an Xbox controller is a nightmare. I'm using default controls, so hold y and then up and down on d pad, and it's really hard to determine how much you're moving it. I've given up and just adjust the trim wheel with my mouse pointer in the cockpit (only flying a sesna 175 at the mo).

Even then I can't fly steady, it's always either slowly up or down.

Schmick

Trying to trim with an Xbox controller is a nightmare. I'm using default controls, so hold y and then up and down on d pad, and it's really hard to determine how much you're moving it. I've given up and just adjust the trim wheel with my mouse pointer in the cockpit (only flying a sesna 175 at the mo).

Yea setting Trim with controller is a pain. I've been using numpad 7 (nose down) and 1 (nose up). That way I can still see out the window and attitude guage without having to direct my view towards the trim wheel.

Yea setting Trim with controller is a pain. I've been using numpad 7 (nose down) and 1 (nose up). That way I can still see out the window and attitude guage without having to direct my view towards the trim wheel.
Ok good tip, I'll try that too.

I did think maybe just the little bouncy Sesna would always be in a very slight climb out decent and then I watched Squirrel hold steady easily.

Schmick

Ok good tip, I'll try that too.

I did think maybe just the little bouncy Sesna would always be in a very slight climb out decent and then I watched Squirrel hold steady easily.
Trim is set to neutral during take off, which i'm assuming is slightly nose up. once you leave the ground you want to be on that Trim straight away although still maintaining positive rate of climb. dont be crazy with the trim either sometimes it can be a few taps of the numpad key to get the right adjustment but i do find that after take off its a few more taps. i find that once im level flying i'm adjusting the trim more to keep level than the stick.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Trim is supposed to be adjusted at very small increments.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Drifting left and right or up and down?
Both, there is a screen in the menu that shows current stick positions and it was virtually never resting in the centre.

After setting deadzones, I can use trims to get nice stable flight in low wind conditions.

Last edited:

Stuart360

How do you do that? I was digging through the menus and couldn't figure it out. It didn't seem like I had a big problem with this but I also don't know what the max quality looks like.

I did notice the suburbs near my dad's house seemed lower quality but it's not near any landmarks I could spawn at, I kind of have to navigate there by feel from thenl nearest major city and it was difficult to find so, it wouldn't surprise me if the game couldn't figure out where I was going to load it in.
You need to go to Options, then down to Data. Scroll down a bit and you will see Manual Cache, or something like that. Click on it, and scroll down to 'View File'. Click on View File, and you will be taken to a map screen. On the right you will see an option for how big you want to make the cache file, i made it 20gb. When you chose how big you want it, you have to wait for about 5mins for the file to be created. When its done, you use the map to go to an area you want to cache, like New York for example. On the right hand side you will see 3 boxes with Low, Medium, High, thats the deatil. You cant click the boxes, what you have to do is zoom in on the map, until the 'High' box is highlighted. After than you will see an option saying 'Download File', just click that and the game downloads the cache for that area, it only takes a few seconds depending on your internet.
And thats it. Not sure how wide an area the cache files are that you download cover, but i went about 20 miles from Manhattan, and the ground and buildings etc were still super detailed.

Last edited:

amigastar

Maybe somebody can help me, i have everything on in Data Menu but only get flat buildings like in Tokyo for example. What are my possibilities here?

xStoyax

Banned
In my profile it says i've done 23/24 landings. But I can't figure out a way to see which one I need to do. Anyone have a clue? Wish it gave you a checkmark or something on the activity once you've completed it.

I also noticed that on my Bush Trips, I had completed one leg and it shows an icon that i've completed it. But it won't let me move on to the second leg. It only lights up that I can start the 1st leg over again.

amigastar

It still doesn't work. After i choose Tokyo in my cache (low) i check it to on but when i return to the manual cache screen its unchecked again and doesn't work even in game.
I will try to change the cache folder.
Edit: changing the cache folder didn't work out
Anyways would love to get the caching inside the flight sim to do the work for me, this video explains the differences pretty much:

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can't find my TrackIR.. It's somewhere in the house, but yeah vanished.. So what's the best head tracking software for cameras anyway?

Last edited:

TheMan

Not gonna lie, I'm itching badly for VR support. Frustrated that Oculus wont' even be supported initially.

amigastar

I can't find my TrackIR.. It's somewhere in the house, but yeah vanished.. So what's the best head tracking software for cameras anyway?
Well, for one there is Opentrack and Facetracknoir. I recommend Opentrack though. But Facetracknoir can track you face without the need for LEDs.
I use Opentrack with the Delanclip.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Well, for one there is Opentrack and Facetracknoir. I recommend Opentrack though. But Facetracknoir can track you face without the need for LEDs.
I use Opentrack with the Delanclip.

Thanks brother. Tried to download Opentrack from both Sourceforge and Github but MS antivirus went bananas, lol. Will check out Facetracknoir now.

Top Bottom