• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 | We Don't Need Roads

Wonko_C

Oh okay, res definitely needs to be high priority, how about dioptric correction? I have -1.5, can I use it normally? I have glasses for 2 years and I have to say they are fucking obnoxious. And I don't want a contacts, it's not recommended for transplant patients.
I use my glasses with PSVR so I haven't looked much into it but prescription lenses could be worth the investment.

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I don't use glasses myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but I know several people with a couple different HMDs who rave about the prescription lenses and say its a night and day difference. They're not cheap, mind you, but they're not terribly expensive either. I guess it depends on how much you plan to use VR and for how long at a session.

Here's a question - I'm currently downloading a 125.70GB update. The speed is terrible - 10-40Mbits/s - can I close the game before it ends and have it resume where it left off? Haven't played much lately and I remember the launcher/download around launch was *terrible* and you had to download it all in one go or start over. Has that been fixed?

Last edited:

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I don't use glasses myself, so take it with a grain of salt, but I know several people with a couple different HMDs who rave about the prescription lenses and say its a night and day difference. They're not cheap, mind you, but they're not terribly expensive either. I guess it depends on how much you plan to use VR and for how long at a session.

Here's a question - I'm currently downloading a 125.70GB update. The speed is terrible - 10-40Mbits/s - can I close the game before it ends and have it resume where it left off? Haven't played much lately and I remember the launcher/download around launch was *terrible* and you had to download it all in one go or start over. Has that been fixed?
I'll answer my own question in case anyone stumbles upon this - the issue seems to be fixed. You can pause the download and quit the installer and it will pick up where you left off (mostly, I'm 3GB behind where I was).

Big upgrade from a year ago, but good god the updater system they have is still the worst part of the game by a wide margin, even a year later.

Schmick

I had a very interesting and also nerve-racking flight a couple nights ago.

A majority of my time spent with FS I tend to fly aircraft fitted with AP so I can spend more time admiring the views but lately I decided to get back to the basics of flying and navigating. Theres no better plane for this than the Cessna 152. No AP and no GPS.

I wanted to test my navigation by opting to fly at night and navigating via VOR. My flight started at Mallorca with the destination being Menorca so not a very long flight and actually the flight plan consisted of very few way points. If I am remembering correctly I was flying between 12 & 1am.

Once I was in the air, to say it was dark is an understatement. I could see fuck all up in the sky. My parents have an apartment in Mallorca so I know the island fairly well and so I knew that with the direction I was flying I would be flying towards mountains. But I couldn't seem them at all.

This is where FS really shines.

It just so happens that I was flying at the same time a lightning storm was hovering over the island. Everytime there was a flash of lightning the island was lit for a second or two. It looked fantastic. Not only could I see the mountains ahead I could see the clouds illuminated by the spark.

Regardless of where I was in real life (safe on my sit at my desk) it was nerve-racking. I was heavily reliant on the lightning as a visual aid so that I didn't crash into the mountains. At the same time keeping a beady eye on the flight instruments, checking my air speed and ensuring I'm on the right heading to my first way point.

Navigating this way is very satisfying (as opposed to setting the GPS and AP). I eventually made it too the destination airport at which point the storm provides a real show!

I got to say though the latest update has really made this game so playable. I play on PC, not a very powerful PC mind (4th gen i7 with 1070GTX) but achieving respectable FPS (30-35) with high end settings and clouds set to ultra.

Perhaps the most stand out addition that comes with the latest update, in my opinion, is the changes made to the Xbox controller key bindings. I'd say they are close to perfect now. Just the way you can control the trim now is so much better and feels more natural then it ever did before. No doubt I'll get a flight stick in the future but for now using the controller is spot on.

I actually recorded the flight and linked below if you are at all interested. About 6 minutes into the video you see the mountains, at about 48 mins you see beginning of the landing and at about 52 mins you'll see the lightning show

Last edited:
Um yeah fuck it. It's weekend and time to get back to this game. Last time I took it for a test flight and actually enjoyed it.

WIll go back with optimized settings this time. My 3080 was starting to tap out 😂

Rex_DX

Gold Member
I had a very interesting and also nerve-racking flight a couple nights ago.

A majority of my time spent with FS I tend to fly aircraft fitted with AP so I can spend more time admiring the views but lately I decided to get back to the basics of flying and navigating. Theres no better plane for this than the Cessna 152. No AP and no GPS.

I wanted to test my navigation by opting to fly at night and navigating via VOR. My flight started at Mallorca with the destination being Menorca so not a very long flight and actually the flight plan consisted of very few way points. If I am remembering correctly I was flying between 12 & 1am.

Once I was in the air, to say it was dark is an understatement. I could see fuck all up in the sky. My parents have an apartment in Mallorca so I know the island fairly well and so I knew that with the direction I was flying I would be flying towards mountains. But I couldn't seem them at all.

This is where FS really shines.

It just so happens that I was flying at the same time a lightning storm was hovering over the island. Everytime there was a flash of lightning the island was lit for a second or two. It looked fantastic. Not only could I see the mountains ahead I could see the clouds illuminated by the spark.

Regardless of where I was in real life (safe on my sit at my desk) it was nerve-racking. I was heavily reliant on the lightning as a visual aid so that I didn't crash into the mountains. At the same time keeping a beady eye on the flight instruments, checking my air speed and ensuring I'm on the right heading to my first way point.

Navigating this way is very satisfying (as opposed to setting the GPS and AP). I eventually made it too the destination airport at which point the storm provides a real show!

I got to say though the latest update has really made this game so playable. I play on PC, not a very powerful PC mind (4th gen i7 with 1070GTX) but achieving respectable FPS (30-35) with high end settings and clouds set to ultra.

Perhaps the most stand out addition that comes with the latest update, in my opinion, is the changes made to the Xbox controller key bindings. I'd say they are close to perfect now. Just the way you can control the trim now is so much better and feels more natural then it ever did before. No doubt I'll get a flight stick in the future but for now using the controller is spot on.

I actually recorded the flight and linked below if you are at all interested. About 6 minutes into the video you see the mountains, at about 48 mins you see beginning of the landing and at about 52 mins you'll see the lightning show

Beautiful post, beautiful video.

Last edited:

Schmick

Um yeah fuck it. It's weekend and time to get back to this game. Last time I took it for a test flight and actually enjoyed it.

WIll go back with optimized settings this time. My 3080 was starting to tap out 😂
This is quite old now I suppose but I found this thread quite interesting and useful.

One day I hope to have something like a 3080 to experience VR.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This is quite old now I suppose but I found this thread quite interesting and useful.

One day I hope to have something like a 3080 to experience VR.

Just keep in mind that Sim update 5 borked some of the gfx settings, amongst other things LOD settings which has an impact on performance. They patched it a few days later, but I'm unsure how much this affects the recommendations in the video.

Caio

The screaming. LOL
ahaha yeah it's so funny, and believe me, most passengers are so scared by bad weather that I was used to do very relaxing PA to reassure them and make them feel safe...and...you will not believe, many pilots as well, they can get so nervous and uncomfortable with bad weather...maybe I shouldn't say that :D

sCHOCOLATE

The screaming. LOL
You know what mod this sim needs? An "Airplane!" (the movie) pack:

1. Inflatable autopilot.
2. Lloyd Bridges (Steve McCroskey) and Robert Stack (Cpt. Rex Kramer) voicing ATC and Ground Control.
3. Robert Hays (Ted Striker) and Julie Haggerty (Elaine Dickinson) models for the flight crew.
4. Leslie Nielsen (Dr. Rumack) on the cabin PA.
5. Switch the engine sound effects of the 747, 787 and A320 from turbofan to prop.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Install size issues for anyone else? I only have the online element installed at 42gb (no offline map) however, it was taking up much more than that. I uninstalled all of the world updates but the space wasn’t freed up on my SSD. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game which gained me 20gb back however according to my rough maths it’s still taking between 50gb and 60gb up, not 42gb.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

Just been watching Gamescom 2021 with Jorg Neumann being interviewed on future updates to Flight Sim, and it's mighty impressive. The guy seems so passionate and from what he's describing about adding points of interest to the map and working with museums to scan historic aircraft it seems Flight Simulator is just getting started.

This is going to be one for the ages!

Last edited:
The Flight Sim stuff was easily my personal highlight of the show. To think they will be improving the map and adding content like they showed for the next 10 YEARS is amazing.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Coming September 7, 2021! World Update VI – Germany, Austria, Switzerland features new aerial imagery, high-resolution elevation maps, and 3D cities, including Frankfurt and Wuppertal in Germany, Basel in Switzerland, and Graz and Vienna in Austria. The team has also hand crafted 100 famous locations and several new airports such as Lübeck, Stuttgart, Klagenfurt, and St. Gallen. This update will also include new discovery flights, fresh landing challenges, and bush trips that showcase this beautiful region of our planet.

This update will be FREE to all Microsoft Flight Simulator players.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Just been watching Gamescom 2021 with Jorg Neumann being interviewed on future updates to Flight Sim, and it's mighty impressive. The guy seems so passionate and from what he's describing about adding points of interest to the map and working with museums to scan historic aircraft it seems Flight Simulator is just getting started.

This is going to be one for the ages!

I for one am hoping for a scan of a SR-71.. , I need to experience this fascinating beast in VR..

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

With the release of Microsoft Flight Simulator on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, the long running flight sim has finally made the jump to consoles. While Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 might be the newest edition, Microsoft has been helping flight sim enthusiasts grace digital skies for over 40 years. Whether you're a long time MSFS fan or new to MSFS 2020, here are 5 things you (probably) didn’t know about Microsoft Flight Simulator.

One of the first things you’ll learn about Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS), is that it actually started as the graduate thesis of Bruce Artwick. After college, Bruce would start a company, SubLogic, that would publish the first Flight Simulator (FS1) on the Apple II in 1980.

The vector graphics aren’t much compared to the next-gen powered graphics of FS2020, but they were a start and more than enough to impress Microsoft, who would approach Bruce Atwick to develop a flight simulator for the new IBM PC.

Microsoft would eventually develop its own combat flight simulators with the Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator series, but early versions of Flight Simulator had WWI combat modes.

Finally, we’ll talk about the cottage industry of hardware MSFS addons that could really make your fake flights feel real. Sure there are some Logitech MSFS addons that could really help your desk cosplay as a Cessna cockpit. But if you’re a digital aviator who has some money to plunk down, there are fully-functioning 737 cockpits available that run seamlessly with older flight sims like Microsoft Flight Simulator X (or better known as FSX). Hopefully, all that hardware will eventually be made compatible with MSFS2020.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alright I have to say that the game performance is a depended on quality of connection quite a lot (I know, no shit), I went to my weekend house, where I only have 25mbps VDSL (I don't have much higher latency, than on 1gbps fiber, which I have in home) and the game runs like dogs shit and I don't mean that it does not load fast enough the scenery, rather it suffers massive frame drops. And this is with the offline world map downloaded.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available now! World Update VI – Germany, Austria, Switzerland features new aerial imagery, high-resolution elevation maps, and 3D cities, including Frankfurt and Wuppertal in Germany, Basel in Switzerland, and Graz and Vienna in Austria. The team has also hand crafted 100 famous locations and several new airports such as Lübeck, Stuttgart, Klagenfurt, and St. Gallen. This update also includes new discovery flights, fresh landing challenges, and bush trips that showcase this beautiful region of our planet.

This update is FREE to all Microsoft Flight Simulator players.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available now! The Microsoft Flight Simulator team is thrilled to release an incredibly detailed Junkers JU-52 add-on for the platform.

In Germany, the Junkers JU-52 is lovingly called “Tante JU” or “Aunt JU.” The team has gone to great lengths to recreate the plane as authentically and accurately as possible, working with the grandson of the original designer, Hugo Junkers, and with an organization that preserves one of the last surviving examples of this historically significant aircraft.

The sky is calling!

Nico_D

I've been having a lot of fun with this. I started my own bush trip going around the world. I just check the map and take an approximate heading and try to find my target.

I started from Finland (Helsinki-Vantaa). Flew to Tallinn, Pärnu and then to Riga.

The following legs were
Berlin
Leipzig
Vienna
Innsbruck
Milan
Matterhorn (sightseeing)
Mont Blanc (that landing took couple of tries with Daher)
and from there to Nizza where I'm currently at.

From there my plan is
Rome
Madrid
Gibraltar
Cairo
Down the Nile and to Congo to check out rainforests
Johannesburg

Then I'll learn to fly 747 and fly to Perth.
Melbourne
Singapore
Hong Kong
Shanghai
Beijing

After that I don't have spesific targets but probably:

Japan
Canada
Iceland
Norway
Sweden
Finland

elliot5

FYI the GOTY update will not include the Reno expansion even though they release at the same time. That's $20 minimum for some planes and access. $60 for the full collection of planes.

FYI the GOTY update will not include the Reno expansion even though they release at the same time. That's $20 minimum for some planes and access. $60 for the full collection of planes.
Sounds expensive but simulators just are like that. People are spending hundreds of dollars on trains in Train Sim :messenger_expressionless:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Coming November 18! We are thrilled to announce the Microsoft Flight Simulator Game of the Year Edition as a "thank you" to our fans who have made the sim such a phenomenon. The Game of the Year Edition is enhanced with 5 brand new aircraft and 8 additional handcrafted airports along with new missions, tutorials, features, photogrammetry cities, and includes all of the content updates released since launch in 2020.

This update is FREE to all existing Microsoft Flight Simulator players. The sky is calling!

Available November 18 for Xbox Series X|S and PC with Xbox Game Pass, and on the Microsoft Store, Windows, and Steam

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available now - the Reno Air Races Expansion! Take off in the world’s fastest motorsport in this exhilarating online multiplayer racing experience. Choose from dozens of highly detailed racing aircraft, developed in close collaboration with the Reno Air Racing Association.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available now - the stunning wonders of Australia are brought to life in Microsoft Flight Simulator!

Soar over the renowned Great Barrier Reef, visit the vast regions of Western Australia, and marvel at the natural beauty of Mount Wellington. From the dusty red outback to shimmering coastlines and sugar white sand beaches, explore the country’s most spectacular sights with Microsoft Flight Simulator’s World Update VII: Australia.

A country known for being as diverse as it is beautiful, this great Southern land presents a bucket list of jaw-dropping natural formations and modern man-made wonders – now enhanced with exceptional graphic improvements, new discovery flights, fresh landing challenges, and bush trips that showcase this beautiful region of our planet.

This update is free to all Microsoft Flight Simulator players.

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I repurchased a Series X and I must say that MS really needs to add an ultra easy friendly mode of flying. My brother is almost a non gamer and he wants to flight like he can drive around in GTA but the controls are too complicated.

Unless there is one and I do not know about... someone please help me if they can.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I repurchased a Series X and I must say that MS really needs to add an ultra easy friendly mode of flying. My brother is almost a non gamer and he wants to flight like he can drive around in GTA but the controls are too complicated.

Unless there is one and I do not know about... someone please help me if they can.
You can literary fly a plane using the xbox controller with little time needed to learn the controls.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Available today! “The Cadillac of the Sky” is ready for takeoff.

Microsoft Flight Simulator is excited to announce the release of the Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing, a celebrated classic of the Golden Era of Aviation that is in a class of its own. With its bold and elegant design, this biplane has earned praise through the decades as one of the most beautiful and prestigious aircraft ever created. Meticulously recreated by Carenado for Microsoft Flight Simulator, the Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing is the first aircraft in our new series called “Famous Flyers,” a line that commemorates aviation history’s most notable and iconic aircraft.

The Beechcraft Model 17 Staggerwing is available now for $14.99 in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Marketplace - the sky is calling!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Dornier Do J Wal, the third plane in Microsoft Flight Simulator's Local Legends series, is available now in the Microsoft Flight Simulator Marketplace. Watch the trailer to get a look at the Dornier Do J Wal--a twin-engine, high-wing monoplane flying boat designed by German aviation firm, Dornier.

• LOL
Reactions: JLB

JLB

Banned

How I Met Your Mother Sitcom GIF by Laff

pqueue

Imagine using this tech for a space-based mining game. could use hte tech to procedurally generate entire ecologically diverse planets, you touch down, do mining, settlement building, etc.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Were you looking to take your space battles and flight simulations to a new realm of immersion? Well, you're not going to get there using a stock controller setup. The best way to fly is with a dedicated flight stick or yoke, and we've found three that should fit your budgetary, aviation, and space-faring needs. Whether you can get by with something simple and inexpensive or feel the need... for speed, we've got you covered on this episode of Budget to Best.

00:00 - Intro
01:03 - Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus Edition
03:28 - Honeycomb Aeronautical Alpha Flight Yoke
05:28 - Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog
07:40 - Closing Thoughts

Rex_DX

Gold Member
As a Warthog owner, I love the thing for Elite and DCS as those games actually have combat. It just feels weird to use it in MSFS though. Doesn't feel right for civilian planes at all.

Bought a Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo and never looked back.

Top Bottom