• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft filed a trademark application for Xbox Series XS in the last week of 2020

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On December 29th 2020 (Cheers, TT), Microsoft filed an application to trademark the phrase “Xbox Series XS.”

The details of the trademark, which can be read in full here, are very similar to those of the Xbox Series X trademark filing on the same site though don’t really make clear whether this is the name of a new console, service, or something else entirely.

It could be a new console but such a name would cause even more confusion amongst consumers who have trouble telling the difference between the Xbox One X, Xbox Series X, and Xbox Series S.

A more likely scenario is that Microsoft is simply covering their bases to prevent other groups from using the phrase. Another possibility, and one that makes a lot of sense, is that this phrase is being trademarked so that it can be used more when referring to video games or accessories designed for both the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles. Microsoft already uses “Xbox Series X|S” when describing some video games after all and this phrase is essentially the same.

Curiously, the same site also shows a new application for the “Xbox Series S” trademark that was made on the same day as the “Xbox Series XS” one. The Xbox Series S console has obviously already been released which makes this application very curious indeed and suggests that this whole thing is just Microsoft dotting the ‘I’s and crossing the ‘T’s to prevent any future legal troubles with competitors.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They needs Series XS, SEX, XES and a few more now.

Banned
uhm, so yeah...

thats what they call the X and S... combined... you know

1200px-Xbox_Series_X_S_black.svg.png

Last edited:
My main console is Xbox, so I'm definitely a fan, but if they actually come out with a Series XS I will give them nonstop crap for it. Their naming schemes are so odd......

cryptoadam

Banned
Ya going with dont want anyone else saying the plural of series X. Probably to cheap to afford the apostrophe. Money dont grow on trees.

sunnysideup

Banned
Ms naming strategy and the series s console has to be the biggest blunder ever. What where they thinking.

I doubt any casual understand what xbox they are going to buy. series s, series x, xbox one x. box x s

Rename series x, to something memorable, and throw everything else out.

Top Bottom