• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Expresses Interest in Acquiring Warner Game Unit

You mean in Asylum? With that idiot running at you every 15 seconds and then getting a batarang to the face and falling off the wooden rafts?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You actually think that's good!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You mean in Asylum? With that idiot running at you every 15 seconds and then getting a batarang to the face and falling off the wooden rafts?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*deep breath*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You actually think that's good!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I do! The Rocksteady Batman games are the highest rated and best super hero games of all time. If this was sony in talks with buying them, we all know the story..."Teh the greatest devs in the world", PLEASE BUY THEM SONY!!111

Again, good luck argueing their pedigree or downplaying how huge this will be for MS if it comes to fruition.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Phil already stated they are not looking to make future games on other consoles unless they are already under contract.
In other words, if they buy WBGS only games already in development for other platforms would release there but all new games would be Xbox Exclusive once those games are released.
Phil Ranks right under Satya Nadella these days so its not like he answers to anyone else.

I don't know if even games already in development couldn't also be Xbox/PC exclusives. They aren't buying an individual studio with a game under contract to another publishing company. They would be buying the entire publishing company. Wouldn't XGS then become the publisher able to do whatever they want with those games or am I missing something here?

Neither are Microsoft on that list, that’s only forum speculation

You know that the only credible reports on this deal list the interested parties as Take-Two Interactive, Electronic Arts and Activision Blizzard, right?
Thats not speculation. It's confirmed. Credible reports? Credible enough that Geoff Keighley, other respected insiders found it noteworthy enough to post.

It's interesting that MS discredited the rumor EA acquisition like a day after. MS has yet to dismiss this.

Chiggs

I do! The Rocksteady Batman games are the highest rated and best super hero games of all time. If this was sony in talks with buying them, we all know the story..."Teh the greatest devs in the world", PLEASE BUY THEM SONY!!111

Again, good luck arguing their pedigree or downplaying how huge this will be for MS if it comes to fruition.

Where did I say the Batman games sucked or Rocksteady was terrible? I just critiqued the boss fights and even labeled the post with a sarcastic hot take prefix.

withincells

Of that list WB only OWN Batman (and other DC properties) and Mortal Kombat. The DC rights would not be sold, only licensed.

Mad Max is owned by George Miller and Byron Kennedy.
The Matrix is owned by the Wachowski Sisters
Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling
Lord of the Rings is owned by the Tolkien estate
Dying Light is owned by Techland, WB only published it.

Are you sure the Wachowskis own The Matrix? Could have sworn WB owns the rights.

Genx3

I don't know if even games already in development couldn't also be Xbox/PC exclusives. They aren't buying an individual studio with a game under contract to another publishing company. They would be buying the entire publishing company. Wouldn't XGS then become the publisher able to do whatever they want with those games or am I missing something here?

That's correct they technically could axe the launch of any game on any platform once they buy the Pub.
Why throw away all that hard work when they could make some money off of it?
Then afterwards just make all new developed games exclusive.

If i were Phil/Matt Booty in this situation. My goals would be the following:

Acquire all the studios (if you can't acquire them individually) and get the MK ip.
Only go after using the Batman and Superman licenses in a long term deal
Put Rocksteady on a new Superman after whatever they're currently working on.
Leave WB Montreal on the Batman franchise, unless Court of Owls bombs.
Have NetherRealm rotate between MK and KI every couple of years like Forza Motorsport/Forza Horizon
Monolith-Work on an original new ip or existing ip in MS chest.
Travelers Tale- Continue working on Lego Batman or Superman(staying multiplat)...or work on new ip or a existing MS ip(Banjo Kazooie)?
Avalanche- Work on new ip or existing MS ip (Banjo Kazooie)?
WB SF,LA,NY,Boston-continue working as supportive roles throughout all of MS Game Studios OR phase those studios out and offer eveybody effected other jobs throughout MS Game Studios

That way you get 4/5 elite studios. Have the 1/2 punch of Batman and Superman rotate. Have Batman and Superman in MK and for the Travelers Tale lego games.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I feel like MS is the best option here, but I can't help feel like Mortal Kombat is laying in its deathbed...
Somebody tweet at Ed Boon that he needs to start courting investors to buy his studio and Mortal Kombat and go independent.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Acquire all the studios (if you can't acquire them individually) and get the MK ip.
Have NetherRealm rotate between MK and KI every couple of years like Forza Motorsport/Forza Horizon
Travelers Tale- Continue working on Lego Batman or Superman(staying multiplat)...or work on new ip or a existing MS ip(Banjo Kazooie)?
WB SF,LA,NY,Boston-continue working as supportive roles throughout all of MS Game Studios OR phase those studios out and offer eveybody effected other jobs throughout MS Game Studios
My take is; no matter who acquires the studios, jobs will be lost no matter what. Not sure MS would be willing to float an added 10+ teams? I just dont think they'd be willing to keep everyone but they would certainly try to accomadate as many as they could.

Bryank75

Banned
According to Sony's March 31, 2020 earnings call they have 960billion Yen or $8.9 billion dollars cash on hand.
Where are you getting that?

Their Cash on hand is 30.93 Billion dollars or 3.360 Trillion yen

Confirmed by 2 sources

Their accounts via Yahoo (owned by Microsoft)

Look under balance sheet, extent assets.

Their cash hasn't been as low as 10 billion for years....

My take is; no matter who acquires the studios, jobs will be lost no matter what. Not sure MS would be willing to float an added 10+ teams? I just dont think they'd be willing to keep everyone but they would certainly try to accomadate as many as they could.
Well, WB Boston, NY,LA,SF are very small supportive teams aren't they? Close those down and offer them jobs to other teams hiring like InXile.

I'd say they could trim the fat to 5/6 studios:
Rocksteady
WB Montreal
NetherRealm
Monolith
Traveler's Tale
Avalanche is the big unknown for me, as i don't know what they're pedigree or size is. Maybe they'd be willing to go independent ala like SE did with iOi

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

quest

Not Banned from OT
Well, WB Boston, NY,LA,SF are very small supportive teams aren't they? Close those down and offer them jobs to other teams hiring like InXile.

Rocksteady
WB Montreal
NetherRealm
Monolith
Traveler's Tale
Avalanche is the big unknown for me, as i don't know what they're pedigree or size is. Maybe they'd be willing to go independent ala like SE did with iOi
That is a good take the new Microsoft studios like inexile obsidian, ninja theory and playground rpg need bodies. This would be perfect no one loses jobs and those other studios fill out faster. On the publishing side most of those jobs would be lost. I still can't see it unless it is closer to 2 billion with no IP with a seperate agreement on the big ones like DC for a decade at the going rate.

I bet MS has been waiting for an opportunity like this to swoop up a bunch of devs at once. They're going to need a lot of content to become the Netflix of video games.

They could just purchase Gamefly and be there already but I know it brings some cognitive dissonance to the marketing push.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
I bet MS has been waiting for an opportunity like this to swoop up a bunch of devs at once. They're going to need a lot of content to become the Netflix of video games.
Yup! This is right up their alley. And some of these dev houses are world class AAA studios.

Shin

Banned
They need to land a Japanese studio.
They really do, if it's not to capture Japanese gamers then for the western ones that like Japanese games.
Business wise maybe it's hard to justify if sales are declining in Japan overall, not only for Xbox.

You buy the people and their talent, not a studio and because of its name. This is where the others (Nin/Sony) have a stronghold, the people that are in their employment are more creative collectively IMO.

Dnice1

Their Cash on hand is 30.93 Billion dollars or 3.360 Trillion yen

Confirmed by 2 sources

Their accounts via Yahoo (owned by Microsoft)

Look under balance sheet, extent assets.

Their cash hasn't been as low as 10 billion for years....

I got that from Sony's own earnings call.

Yes Sony is able to draw down more cash, but they don't count investments in Sony Financial Services, Lines of Credit, and Commercial Paper as cash on hand.
"Sony has established a global cash management system to ensure liquidity. The total outstanding balance of cash and cash equivalents for consolidated Sony excluding the Financial Services segment at March 31, 2020 was 962.3 billion yen, which Sony considers a sufficient amount of cash on hand. In addition, as of April 1, 2020, Sony had approximately 570 billion yen in committed lines of credit from major banking institutions inside and outside of Japan, as well as an approximately 1 trillion yen commercial paper facility, none of which were being utilized as of May 13, 2020. Thus, Sony believes that it has sufficient liquidity.
"

Last edited:

Again, good luck argueing their pedigree or downplaying how huge this will be for MS if it comes to fruition.

Not every "Sony" gamer agrees with that opinion. Rocksteady revolutionized not just the way super hero games are made/designed/structured story wise but the free-flow combat system also revolutionized brawler melee combat (where countless others had failed in the past to get beat-em ups into the 3D space). You can see that DNA copied in a ton of titles afterward (including Spiderman by Insomniac). Rocksteady is the best AAA studio out of the bunch and anyone that gets them has a winner on their hands. Obviously if massive departures occur, and if there is too much internal reshufling as a result of an acquisition (like with RARE), it would be Rocksteady in name only. Just like 343 has been unable to successfully fill Bungie's shoes (despite having some of the original talent).

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I got that from Sony's own earnings call.

Yes Sony is able to draw down more cash, but they don't count investments in Sony Financial Services, Lines of Credit, and Commercial Paper as cash on hand.
"
Ah, I see.... you're reading it different to an accountant! LOL

'Cash on hand can be defined as cash deposits at financial institutions that can immediately be withdrawn at any time, and investments maturing in one year or less that are highly liquid and therefore regarded as cash equivalents and reported with or near cash line items.'

Sony have a load of securities which are the same as cash in the eyes of an accountant... they are liquid assets.

So when you calculate 'cash on hand' you generally include securities the company owns. That's why all of the sources contradict what you are quoting.

Last edited:

Dnice1

Ah, I see.... you're reading it different to an accountant! LOL

'Cash on hand can be defined as cash deposits at financial institutions that can immediately be withdrawn at any time, and investments maturing in one year or less that are highly liquid and therefore regarded as cash equivalents and reported with or near cash line items.'

Sony have a load of securities which are the same as cash in the eyes of an accountant... they are liquid assets.

So when you calculate 'cash on hand' you generally include securities the company owns. That's why all of the sources contradict what you are quoting.
I'm not quoting "sources". Its Sony's own words.

Last edited:
Not every "Sony" gamer agrees with that opinion. Rocksteady revolutionized not just the way super hero games are made/designed/structured story wise but the free-flow combat system also revolutionized brawler melee combat (where countless others had failed in the past to get beat-em ups into the 3D space). You can see that DNA copied in a ton of titles afterward (including Spiderman by Insomniac). Rocksteady is the best AAA studio out of the bunch and anyone that gets them has a winner on their hands. Obviously if massive departures occur, and if there is too much internal reshufling as a result of an acquisition (like with RARE), it would be Rocksteady in name only. Just like 343 has been unable to successfully fill Bungie's shoes (despite having some of the original talent).

Rare has most of its departures before MS baught them. It explains why Nintendo decided to sell its stake in the company.

I'm confused. Why would there be massive departures at Rocksteady? MS provides more resources, financial backing, and job security. MS already has Rare, Ninja Theory, and Playground in the UK, all of which are flourishing and expanding. Rocksteady would fit perfectly with those British studios and can even share technology while working on UE5. Matt Booty has made it clear that he wants devs working on whatever they're pationate about. This is not the Don Mattrick era. Double Fine, InXile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Playground, etc are all growing and seem very happy with MS. Again, there is no evidence to suggest some kind of massive layoffs. Devs are not console fanboys. They're looking for job security,work on something they're passionate about, and culture.

Bryank75

Banned
I'm not quoting "sources". Its Sony's own words.
Yes but they've left out all their cash equivalents... like they're trying to hide it... LOL

You can ignore it if you like, it doesn't mean that it's not there.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Rare has most of its departures before MS baught them. It explains why Nintendo decided to sell its stake in the company.

I'm confused. Why would there be massive departures at Rocksteady? MS provides more resources, financial backing, and job security. MS already has Rare, Ninja Theory, and Playground in the UK, all of which are flourishing and expanding. Rocksteady would fit perfectly with those British studios and can even share technology while working on UE5. Matt Booty has made it clear that he wants devs working on whatever they're pationate about. This is not the Don Mattrick era. Double Fine, InXile, Obsidian, Ninja Theory, Playground, etc are all growing and seem very happy with MS. Again, there is no evidence to suggest some kind of massive layoffs. Devs are not console fanboys. They're looking for job security,work on something they're passionate about, and culture.

I wouldn't worry about people leaving. Usually when there's an acquisition they have people sign a "non compete" contract. They can't all just up and leave nor would they for no reason.

Xplainin

Banned
The sale would have to include IPs, as it's not worth the sale price otherwise.
Not to mention all the work already done by the studios would have to be scrapped.

The other side of the coin is the Lionhead closure and the shelving of Fable for a whole generation or Bungie seeking independence aka internal rebellion against the publisher etc. It's like a Naughty Dog rebelling against Sony big. Who knows why departures may occur? Why did Rod Fergusson leave the Coalition after Gears 5? That sort of beef between publisher and studio heads comes about organically and is unique from studio to studio as to the circumstances. It's a possibility. What I do know is that they happen, and reorganizations also happen... some netting positive results, others netting negative results. Job #1 is to get the studio, but just as crucial as job #1 is job #2: making sure everyone crucial within that studio buys in and is happy to be part of your organization. Naturally everything usually smell like roses at the beginning, but things can turn ugly as time passes.

Last edited:

Dnice1

Yes but they've left out all their cash equivalents... like they're trying to hide it... LOL

You can ignore it if you like, it doesn't mean that it's not there.

I'm not ignoring anything. You replied to my post.
I simply provided you the information directly from the source. So are you implying Sony is misinformed about what they consider cash on hand? Interesting.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
The other side of the coin is the Lionhead closure and the shelving of Fable for a whole generation or Bungie seeking independence aka internal rebellion against the publisher etc. It's like a Naughty Dog rebelling against Sony big. Who knows why departures may occur? Why did Rod Fergusson leave the Coalition after Gears 5? That sort of beef between publisher and studio heads comes about organically and is unique from studio to studio as to the circumstances. It's a possibility. What I do know is that they happen, and reorganizations also happen... some netting positive results, others netting negative results. Job #1 is to get the studio, but just as crucial as job #1 is job #2: making sure everyone crucial within that studio buys in and is happy to be part of your organization. Naturally everything usually smell like roses at the beginning, but things can turn ugly as time passes.

Well fortunately for Xbox it seems to have turned around under Phil. Now it's mostly Sony people leaving to go Xbox studios.

Goodness. If we're going to go by that standard, Sony should never buy another studio either. There will be massive layoffs! Sony closed Evolution Studios, they closed Zipper Interactive, Sony Liverpool (Wipeout)etc... No company is immune to a studio closing at some point. Naughty Dog practially lost over 60% of their staff just in the past few years(many who are lead and senior people).Why'd Bruce Strailey leave? Amy Henig? One entire team at Sony Santa Monica(Stig Asmussen's team) shuttered with massive layoffs. By your logic, Sony should never buy another studio again!

Why did Shawn Layten leave?

What i do know, is that certain sony fans who are salty at the very idea of MS completing such a megaton deal, hence the downplaying and glass half empty nonsense. I get it.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Well fortunately for Xbox it seems to have turned around under Phil. Now it's mostly Sony people leaving to go Xbox studios.
Shannon Studstill went to Stadia, just because people go doesn't mean their product will be of the same standard. A bigger paycheque or incentive cannot reproduce a culture of excellence.

I wouldn't worry about people leaving. Usually when there's an acquisition they have people sign a "non compete" contract. They can't all just up and leave nor would they for no reason.
Oh, i know. The "massive layoff" nonsense is nothing more than damage control and concern trolling. You then have to think, why the concern trolling and damage control? It's pretty obvious why.

Last edited:
Shannon Studstill went to Stadia, just because people go doesn't mean their product will be of the same standard. A bigger paycheque or incentive cannot reproduce a culture of excellence.

Or Amy going to EA etc etc etc... Previous Naughty Dog/Santa Monica employees are spread everywhere in the industry. You still only get the Naughty Dog/SSM experience in one place. The culture and committment to quality is kept throughout. All the turnover in those studios throughout the years has not drastically impacted the output of the studios. These studios are literally performing better than ever. The same can't be said for other studios in the industry, and that includes MS managed studios. BTW they know that... just being purposefully naive.

Goodness. If we're going to go by that standard, Sony should never buy another studio either.

That is not the framing. The framing is that one publisher is better than the other at managing studios and talent - and we base that on the quality to quantity ratio of their games output. Never has anyone uttered that Sony is immune to these things. What Sony has shown is that they're just much better at managing these things considering the total number of studios and the games output. Like I've said before, out of the current bidders; Take-two and MS are the best of the 4 options. Ideally WB Games would survive and there wouldn't be a need for this conversation but lets not act like all publishers handle studios and talent with equal efficacy and adequately. There is a reason no one wants to see those studios at the hands of studio killer EA or COD churner Activision. Just cause MS is an improvement doesn't mean they're the pinnacle of studio management - far from it - their exclusive output alone this generation is partly testament to that.

Last edited:
Mid way into playing Control for some weird reason I had the thought come to my mind that Remedy would be the perfect developer for the Matrix.

Ozzie666

Any chance Google or Amazon try to pick them all up?
It's like picking the lesser of evils. Microsoft would most likely, eventually, mean exclusive development. Even potentially for MK.

It's like picking the lesser of evils. Microsoft would most likely, eventually, mean exclusive development. Even potentially for MK.
Google? Seriously? Sure if you want it exclusive to Stadia.
MS at least puts their games on Xbox/PC

quest

Not Banned from OT
So you want a flighting game streaming only on stadia lol jesus people? Microsoft puts games on PC a neutral platform ffs. Amazon yay turn MK into a cell phone tablet game that would be awesome lol.

Ozzie666

So you want a flighting game streaming only on stadia lol jesus people? Microsoft puts games on PC a neutral platform ffs. Amazon yay turn MK into a cell phone tablet game that would be awesome lol.

No, I'm actually scared Google, Tencent or Amazon will swoop in. Not in support of most those outcomes.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

That way you get 4/5 elite studios. Have the 1/2 punch of Batman and Superman rotate. Have Batman and Superman in MK and for the Travelers Tale lego games.

If I was Phil/Matt Booty I'd run a mile because as a group its way overvalued. TT games was the real money-maker amongst their studios, and everything I've heard suggests to me that its in total disarray after years of god-awful management decisions following Jon Burton's departure.

This particular golden goose may not quite be foie gras yet, but its most certainly not the overperforming unit it once was.

SaucyJack

Of course that's a possibility, but none of these is reported as being interested at this point.

However, I think there's a better than even chance that no one buys them.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
If I was Phil/Matt Booty I'd run a mile because as a group its way overvalued. TT games was the real money-maker amongst their studios, and everything I've heard suggests to me that its in total disarray after years of god-awful management decisions following Jon Burton's departure.

This particular golden goose may not quite be foie gras yet, but its most certainly not the overperforming unit it once was.
I don't think Phil and Microsoft are fools they are kicking the tires. If they can't get a fair price they won't pull the trigger. They know what these are really worth now days with how much them and Sony have paid for studios in the last few years. If this does not work out they will continue to buy up smaller studios around the world and try to grow them. There is no harm in talking with a potential seller on something like this. If they can talk them down to around 1.5-2 billion this becomes viable.

SaucyJack

The Venturebeat report on this deal said ....

"A major game company said it was not interested in the purchase because WBIE only intermittently makes money, and it does not own some of the major franchises that are at the core of its major games."

Genx3

Disney bought the whole of Marvel Comics and every IP for $4 Billion and also bought the whole of Lucas Films and all of Star Wars IP for $4 Billion.
Why do people think MS will not get WB's IP's gaming rights for $4 Billion???

No way any company is paying $4 Billion and not getting permanent gaming rights to the IP. Especially when Marvel and Lucas Film have already shown what $4 Billion gets you.

Genx3

Rocksteady
WB Montreal
NetherRealm
Monolith
Traveler's Tale

OR

They could expand their smaller studios into descent sized studios.
The Goal: 1 AAA Game per month launching on Game Pass.
That would be 1 way to do it.
They would also have studios all over the USA allowing them to bring in talent from everywhere.

dilbag

If this happens we might get a mortal kombat x Killer instinct game.

and Raam might finally be in mortal kombat lol

Top Bottom