• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Expresses Interest in Acquiring Warner Game Unit

Andodalf

Banned
Just catching up on this thread finally and after reading all the "concern" I really hope ms actually does buy it just to spite people.

Sure there may be some licensing issues to workout but I highly doubt ms would buy those studios and not pursue those licenses for such established franchises like Batman and MK.

Those “concerned” people, would Suddenly decide they have apparently always hated Batman, MK, Harry Potter, LotR, and possibly gaming in general

SleepDoctor

Banned
Those “concerned” people, would Suddenly decide they have apparently always hated Batman, MK, Harry Potter, LotR, and possibly gaming in general

Pretty much. Moving goal posts has been the theme for next gen.

Would be great if at the end of the event they announce the acquisition and all the games.

Not a big problem for me, honestly

Batman series said everything it could, and Knight felt like milking to me, missing something special Asylum and City had;

Lotr? Played and liked the Mordor games but I'm not a big fan of the franchise, i'd die only if they do a remake of the gamecube era return of the King games, man, that was awesome! Otherwise, exclusive Lotr games would almost be non existent to me;

Harry Potter? This would be AN heartbreak for me, currently that rumoured game is my most wanted, I'm literally craving a new Harry Potter game since the Two awesome ps1 game
And Also a win win for Microsoft, the hunger is real among fans

Dc games? Nah, I don't think anything significant like arkham series would come out , they had the chance with green arrow when the cw series was at his peak, but now...
And no one demostrated to be able to do a decent Superman game, so whatever

Other dc superheroes like green lantern and such are low tier, niche characters, and the suicide squad gaas...ewww

Ok, Injustice and my boy Mortal Kombat, if exclusive ( impossible this could happen, but still...) would be a tremendous hit, I love MK since the first game days, so i'd cry

MK XI was freakin awesome and loved it

oldergamer

Thinking about this some more. Microsoft has a lot more to offer WB's parent company then all the other suitors.

- Media content relationships. MS sells access to TV shows and Movies made by WB
- Cloud computing and cloud storage services. MS was already working with the WB parent on a permanent form of storage using glass to preserve content from being degraded
- Potential investment and stock deals

If MS really wanted it to happen, they could offer more then others. I'm not saying that will happen, but just thinking about it more strategically outside of games.

oldergamer

Also one thing to add, at least in America, Xbox as a video streaming platform, is doing better then some dedicated streaming devices from data i've recently seen. More video content was streamed to Xbox consoles, then streamed directly via samsung smart tv's in 2019

On Demand

Banned
Yes, and the corollary to that is the group of people who will now hold up as the most important system selling games ever a bunch of games that until now they never bought.

Exactly. Fanboys trying to act like it works one way. Games like LoTR would be used as "the best thing ever" first party game for console wars.

This is irrelevant anyway as this isn't happening. Especially all those license games. There's so much renegotiating that has to happen with the parent company.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
If Microsoft acquires WB Games, first, I see a few of the studios being eliminated or condensed into the main studios. Second, even without any licensing, doesn't matter. Acquiring Rocksteady for example gives Microsoft a top 10, maybe top 5 developer in the industry itself. Talent alone, the purchase is worth it.

Licenses would just be the icing on the cake. Of course, I would only acquire the licenses if the studios want to keep working on those licensed properties. If for example, Rocksteady wants to create their own IP and do their own thing, I would let them.

On Demand

Banned
Studios without the license is practically a shell. Those license are what made them who they are today. People can leave too.

Rocksteady for example

Rocksteady with no license ain't a very good deal. On top potentially talent leaving. There's so many asterisk that comes with this for anybody who buys WB.

Caffeine

Just catching up on this thread finally and after reading all the "concern" I really hope ms actually does buy it just to spite people.

Sure there may be some licensing issues to workout but I highly doubt ms would buy those studios and not pursue those licenses for such established franchises like Batman and MK.
ye I just have concern with licensing. honestly microsoft would be the best publisher of the bunch though.

Studios without the license is practically a shell. Those license are what made them who they are today. People can leave too.

Rocksteady for example

Rocksteady with no license ain't a very good deal. On top potentially talent leaving. There's so many asterisk that comes with this for anybody who buys WB.

They would be buying them from WB, owners of DC. Im sure a deal can be made at the same time so that those licenses would be used exclusively by them for an amount of time. Its what i would do.

Talent only leave when theyre unhappy. MS pretty much let all the new studios do what they want. Only thing that really changes for them, is that big money cushion underneath them.

But that being said, i didnt think Mixer would die, so who knows. Maybe they aint so safe.

Megatron

I would assume the real hook for MS is the library of existing games to put on GS. All those licenses wouldn’t come as part of the deal except for maybe stuff like Mortal Kombat.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The more I think about it the more I want Microsoft to do it. Ten year license included. It will start an arms race, and we only live once, so get on with it.

Yes, and the corollary to that is the group of people who will now hold up as the most important system selling games ever a bunch of games that until now they never bought.
For someone who claims to not hold a bias, you sure seem biased and a bit salty. Weak arguement as well. The Batman games are considered the best superhero video games of all time. They're the highest rated and have sold very well. They're highy praised and the new Batman Court of Owls and new Rocksteady games are two of the most anticipated Next Gen games at this years E3.

Last edited:

NullZ3r0

Banned
WB owns the Midway library. It's a sizable catalog.
Mortal Kombat, Spy Hunter, The Suffering, Stranglehold, Rampage, Gauntlet, Paperboy, Marble Madness, Area 51...
Matt Booty who is over XGS was the CEO at Midway, so he intimately knows what they have and probably is the main reason why MS is involved in talks.

Last edited:
Warner would be fucking stupid to sell their gaming unit in an age where people are more likely than ever in human history, to be stuck inside and looking for entertainment.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Warner would be fucking stupid to sell their gaming unit in an age where people are more likely than ever in human history, to be stuck inside and looking for entertainment.
Not if they can find a fool to pay 4 billion for 1.5 billion in assets. Then they can license out to EA for more money. Shave off 4 billion off that debt quickly plus the lisence revenue and get rid of a ton of payroll on something that has long investment periods with no real guarantee and a new generation turn over that will mean less sales while the new consoles build up user bases.

On Demand

Banned
Well this changes the whole conversation

I thought the were selling them because they didn't have money to keep them open. Not because "hey we need the cash. If not whatever".

In this case nobody should buy WB. Let the studio stand as is and continue multiplatform.

And that poll result is embarrassing.

On Demand

Banned
They would be buying them from WB, owners of DC. Im sure a deal can be made at the same time so that those licenses would be used exclusively by them for an amount of time. Its what i would do.

Talent only leave when theyre unhappy. MS pretty much let all the new studios do what they want. Only thing that really changes for them, is that big money cushion underneath them.

But that being said, i didnt think Mixer would die, so who knows. Maybe they aint so safe.

AT&T is selling. A new license deal would have to be made with WB. And i doubt they would their franchise limited to MS platforms.

Yes talent leaving when they're not Happy with something is pretty common. Like this news is already worrying them.

It's not like Microsoft could not give them any license...

Not guaranteed.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
AT&T is selling. A new license deal would have to be made with WB. And i doubt they would their franchise limited to MS platforms.

Yes talent leaving when they're not Happy with something is pretty common. Like this news is already worrying them.

Not guaranteed.
If Microsoft bought them there would be zero reason for anyone to leave. Phil has done a 180 with all the new studios and let them choose their projects. I figure this would be welcome at places that are sequel mills. Deep pockets and freedom just have to deliver a good game. They are even allowing small passion projects at these newly on boarded studios.

I thought the were selling them because they didn't have money to keep them open. Not because "hey we need the cash. If not whatever".

In this case nobody should buy WB. Let the studio stand as is and continue multiplatform.

They will be trying to sell a lot of assets to pay down a monster debt after a foolhardy spending spree. This one actually has value if they would bundle properly or price it right. Things like old direct tv satellite division well good luck trying to sell that now days.

You not wanting something to happen doesnt mean it cant happen.

If i pay 4 billion for studios that already work with these franchises on a regular basis, (and some on games for DC that have yet to come out) im sure as hell going to try and make sure that those licenses are part of the deal, at the very least for a certain amount of time.

This is not something thats unlikely. The original Star wars KOTOR was exclusive to xbox. The original elder scrolls was exclusive to xbox. Mass effect1 was an xbox exclusive.

These things happen.

Striking a license deal is not some impossible feat. It happens all the time. Of course any deal of this magnitude would factor in long term licensing deals. MS would be a good fit because they'd put there games on Xbox/PC/Gamepass/Xcloud/possibly Steam. A few select titles may even go to Nintendo/Sony.

It would greatly benefit MS in their goals of expanding their marketshare and adding significant value to Gamepass.

There is no evidence that their would be some massive walk out over MS acquiring these studios. Devs want financial backing, stable jobs, and MS would give that to them. And i'm sure MS would visit these studios before making such a deal. People still seem stuck in the Don Mattrick era.

MS has a strong foothold in the UK. Imagine Rocksteady, Rare, Ninja Theory, Playground all sharing knowledge/technology using the UE5?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Most of these dudes who look down on the deal or think the licenses wouldnt be exclusive are the same ones who dont want to miss out on the IP's that have been multiplatform games. All that would end if this deal happens. So naturally there will be some push back.

I personally feel like Microsoft needs this deal. It would, once and for all, get rid of the stigma that MS doesnt have the first party strength of Sony or Nintendo. This is exactly the kind of deal that would accomplish just that.

On Demand

Banned
You not wanting something to happen doesnt mean it cant happen.

If i pay 4 billion for studios that already work with these franchises on a regular basis, (and some on games for DC that have yet to come out) im sure as hell going to try and make sure that those licenses are part of the deal, at the very least for a certain amount of time.

This is not something thats unlikely. The original Star wars KOTOR was exclusive to xbox. The original elder scrolls was exclusive to xbox. Mass effect1 was an xbox exclusive.

These things happen.

Please don't put words in my mouth. Thanks!

Last edited:

Castef

Banned
Not guaranteed.

"Not guaranteed" what?

That Microsoft is able to provide a license of a valid IP to them?

Or that Microsoft already own important IPs that could be used?

Because I don't think that Rocksteady could automatically become incapable of developing good games if they no longer work on Batman...

Dabaus

Banned

I dont see how Matt's comment changes anything. I still think this is Microsoft stringing its diminishing base along here. Its just the new "MS is going to acquire EA, Platinum, sega" rumor of the week. Yeah their "interested" and "looking into it" but that doesnt mean anything. I myself can sit here and "look into it" with no actual intent to do anything.

Kokoloko85

Lookslike MS wants to buy franchises to get ahead in the console war..... I dont think Nintendo, Sega or Playstation have ever bought anything so big

Castef

Banned
Lookslike MS wants to buy franchises to get ahead in the console war..... I dont think Nintendo, Sega or Playstation have ever bought anything so big

I don't know.

I mean... yes, franchises are interesting and IPs important.

Yet, recent history shown that you can create new IPs in a relatively short time: just three years ago Horizon: Zero Dawn wasn't even published and now its sequel is one of the most anticipated games on PS5.

I think that in this case buying studios and their talent-competence is more important and if you look at the gaming division of WB you it contains eleven studios, with some of them large enough to develop more games at once. Some of them are historic studios such as Traveller's Tales or Netherrealms and, given enough resources (Microsoft has them) they could become a powerhouse, especially if you have a service like Game Pass that you want to feed with enough original content.

Under this aspect it is a match made in heaven, so I would not be surprised if Microsoft would look for an agreement.

As per the iPS, just think at a Killer Instinct game developed by Netherrealm, at a possible Mortal Kombat VS Killer Instinct, at a Too Human game by Rocksteady (that setting is still in the hands of Microsoft and it is actually a very nice and original one...) or a new Kameo by Traveller's Tales...

And I could go on and on and on...

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
The thing is, besides Mortal Kombat, they are not actually getting that many franchises, unless they plan to reboot abunch of defunct Midway IP. Batman and lego are licenced properties. By buying publishers MS is opening pandoras box here with repercussions. Sony doesnt have as much cash on hand but they have enough to go after a major publisher if they needed to, same with nintendo.

The thing is, besides Mortal Kombat, they are not actually getting that many franchises, unless they plan to reboot abunch of defunct Midway IP. Batman and lego are licenced properties. By buying publishers MS is opening pandoras box here with repercussions. Sony doesnt have as much cash on hand but they have enough to go after a major publisher if they needed to, same with nintendo.

If it was Sony doing this everyone would be happy or saying Xbox is dead. Xbox has a lot to gain here. People try saying what if developers leave? Why would they leave a place that gives them a secure job and creative freedom. Before I didn’t care if Microsoft got them or not now I hope they get wb just to see the haters cry

They don't sell them day 1 they do it up to a year later. Bring a game out 1 year after release well it hardly worth it no one wants it anymore. Its day 1 making Sony economy better or not at all making the Microsoft ecosystem better. Its an all or nothing as i see it in gaming. I must of missed where Sony released spiderman on any other platforms. Its funny that Microsoft should do multiplatform but Sony be exclusive so they get all games lol.

You probably also missed the part where Sony isn't looking to buy WB. You are right it is all or nothing, either Microsoft buys WB and releases games on all platforms... or they don't buy them at all.

It is a matter of what makes financial sense. If Microsoft wants to invest $4 billion in exclusives, they already own a publishing company... just invest the money in your own business. Buying someone elses business then immediately destroying over half its value makes no sense.

However what does make sense, is buying the company... not destroying its value but instead leveraging it to improve gamepass/xcloud. You get to benefit your platform, without unnecessarily wasting billions of dollars in the process. I agree the most difficult challenge facing Microsoft will be trying to explain to gamers why they have a separate multiplatform publishing arm, because gamers obviously can't understand the concept that businesses don't like making bad investments.

Chiggs

Hot take: Mr. Freeze was the only good boss fight ever produced by Rocksteady in a Batman game! Once acquired, MS needs to send these chumps back to Boss School or toss them onto the ash heap of history, like FASA, Digital Anvil, Ensemble, Lionhead, and Press Play (comedy option: Rare).

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

Ok kids. Let me explain some stuff to you all.

Thing is Batman license will go back DC after Sale. New buyer will have to re-negotiate license with DC and to convince DC to not to release on PS will require MS to come up with something good.

Main thing MS will get from this deal studio talent that is Rocksteady, Netherlearms studio talent and Monolith as well.

MK IP owned by WB and Netherlearms, so that MK IP will get transferred to MS if they buy them.

MS hungry for quality studios and WB got some AAA HQ talent. I say go for it. 2-4billion is nothing for MS.

Batman, Lego, Harry Potter and LOTR licenses will go back to their respective license holders and MS will have to renegotiate deal for games again.

Games which already in development for PS5 will come for PS5, MS will not cancel them and im pretty sure they will release it to on as many platforms possible via Xcloud.

Native releases could be exclusive to Xbox and PC ecosystem via Game pass.

They are (allegedly) buying a Warner division, including the name, with the Warner affiliation, as long as Warner licences the Batman ip then there's no reason why they won't have the game rights.

Genx3

Why would MS/Xbox buy WB's gaming studios only to keep them on other platforms?
That would make zero sense.
The point would be to get people tempted to go into MS/XB' eco system. Mine Craft was a special case. Doubt this would be anything like that and if so Xbox would be dead imo.
Might as well buy the competitors console (where you still get the games) once you don't have any faith in your own product.

If MS bought those studios only to keep them multi plat I'd simply buy a PS5.

Why support a company that doesn't believe in its own products?

Why would MS/Xbox buy WB's gaming studios only to keep them on other platforms?
That would make zero sense.
The point would be to get people tempted to go into MS/XB' eco system. Mine Craft was a special case. Doubt this would be anything like that and if so Xbox would be dead imo.
Might as well buy the competitors console (where you still get the games) once you don't have any faith in your own product.

If MS bought those studios only to keep them multi plat I'd simply buy a PS5.

Why support a company that doesn't believe in its own products?

PC and Xbox natively and everywhere else via Cloud. ?

SleepDoctor

Banned
They are (allegedly) buying a Warner division, including the name, with the Warner affiliation, as long as Warner licences the Batman ip then there's no reason why they won't have the game rights.

Pretty much this. If WB has a 6 game deal for example for Batman, ms is now entitled to 2 more games.

Either way I think its unlikely but I'd love the outrage if it happens.

Genx3

PC and Xbox natively and everywhere else via Cloud. ?

Problem is this would undermine their whole Xbox business and would really show a lack of confidence in their own product if they launch their games on their competitor's consoles.

Mine Craft made sense because it was already available everywhere and wasn't really a game that would push hardware sales.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You probably also missed the part where Sony isn't looking to buy WB. You are right it is all or nothing, either Microsoft buys WB and releases games on all platforms... or they don't buy them at all.

It is a matter of what makes financial sense. If Microsoft wants to invest $4 billion in exclusives, they already own a publishing company... just invest the money in your own business. Buying someone elses business then immediately destroying over half its value makes no sense.

However what does make sense, is buying the company... not destroying its value but instead leveraging it to improve gamepass/xcloud. You get to benefit your platform, without unnecessarily wasting billions of dollars in the process. I agree the most difficult challenge facing Microsoft will be trying to explain to gamers why they have a separate multiplatform publishing arm, because gamers obviously can't understand the concept that businesses don't like making bad investments.

No need to make them available on all systems, maybe port some appropriate games to Nintendo, but as has already been mentioned in this thread, Xbox already releases all their games on PC so PS5 only players can use those gaming PCs they all claim to have and everyone is covered.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I really hope they do it. Not a big fan of platform exclusivity but at least MSoft has the deceny to put all their games on PC now. If I had to choose between them shutting the doors/or downsizing these studios, I'd be happy with them buying exclusivity. It'd be a hell of a purchase and a smart business move if those I.P.'s are on the table. Much less valuable if they aren't. I can't imagine that MS would want all those studios without access to those I.P.'s though.

I really hope they do it. Not a big fan of platform exclusivity but at least MSoft has the deceny to put all their games on PC now. If I had to choose between them shutting the doors/or downsizing these studios, I'd be happy with them buying exclusivity. It'd be a hell of a purchase and a smart business move if those I.P.'s are on the table. Much less valuable if they aren't. I can't imagine that MS would want all those studios without access to those I.P.'s though.

Plus, gamepass. Hell you wouldnt even have to buy the games. Sign me up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom