• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Expresses Interest in Acquiring Warner Game Unit

I would really hate this purchase if it means future games will be Xbox exclusive, but I can see how this can fit into the existing Xbox game studios library of games.

A Killer Instinct vs Mortal Kombat would make me buy an my first Xbox. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Genx3

This would be huge for XGS.

$4 Billion is a drop in the bucket for MS and worth every penny if and only if MS gets all the IP WB currently owns with it.

Without the IP MS is better off gobbling up some more small studios or Capcom.

Do it Microsoft... maybe then Sony will wake up and start doing what they need to do!

Leyou games...what are they thinking!?
Leyou makes more sense for Sony than this. Leyou’s studios will allow Sony’s first party studios to focus on Single player games. While they develop stand alone multiplayer games on Sony’s IP.
Question out of ignorance: what IP's does Warner own that would warrant that much money?
Warner has alot of IP. This sale would include none of the major names. 5 year license maybe?

Ultimately I see activision buying.

Genx3

Leyou makes more sense for Sony than this. Leyou’s studios will allow Sony’s first party studios to focus on Single player games. While they develop stand alone multiplayer games on Sony’s IP.

Warner has alot of IP. This sale would include none of the major names. 5 year license maybe?

Ultimately I see activision buying.

How do you know which IP is being dangled and for how long?

Banned

it makes absolutely zero sense for Sony.
Digital Extremes is currently working on a complete remake for all their level sets in Warframe, they barely can release updates on all the systems it is on in a timely manner... that studio is completely filled with work. and if SOny would make them stop updating warframe, they would get a shitstorm the size of our solar system.

and the other studios are honestly not that great. they basically just make multiplayer modes for already existing games... not a lot of talent there IMO

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
I said in a different thread where somebody suggested Sony should buy them and I'll say it again here. Warner should remain a 3rd party publisher. We need more games for everybody not less.

Do you remember what I told you I would say if Microsoft bought them? :messenger_beaming:

Banned
I’m pretty sure none of them would buy it unless they had some licensing deal for their games

I actually think that Rocksteady alone is worth the acquisition. no matter the IP, that studio will make great games.
also netherrealm and the Mortal Kombat IP would most likely bet part of that deal. and that's a semi big IP.

Last edited:

withincells

IGN is saying the MK IP would be included with NetherRealm. Why is that? Why would WB sell the IP? It's still a popular franchise, they just released an animated movie and are in post-production on a live action movie. Wouldn't they just work with the new owner of NetherRealm for future MK games rather they straight up sell the IP?

IGN is saying the MK IP would be included with NetherRealm. Why is that? Why would WB sell the IP? It's still a popular franchise, they just released an animated movie and are in post-production on a live action movie. Wouldn't they just work with the new owner of NetherRealm for future MK games rather they straight up sell the IP?

Why would they sell WB Games at all? They have many successful teams that produce successful products, so they most likely just want to get some cash to pay off debt, and they will sell things that are the most distant from their core business (movies and television).

Zero707

If I carry on trolling, report me.
bruh these studios without IPs are not worth it for 2B-4B

NetherRealm has owned the ip since the 90's. WB probably doesn't want the ip, nor plans to make movies with it.

withincells

NetherRealm has owned the ip since the 90's. WB probably doesn't want the ip, nor plans to make movies with it.

Like, I said, they already have one in post. Maybe that doesn't bode well but I guess they would retain the film rights if it happens to turn out successful.

Andodalf

Banned
2 Possibilities if this is a new interest: The asking price is way down because no one wanted to pay 4 Bil for those studios and now it's more in a price range Xbox can swing, or the deal now includes IP license for games, and that's enough to get MS Corp money involved.

Banned

uhhhm...

mp-mk2021-03.jpg

Last edited:
How do you know which IP is being dangled and for how long?
None of them are being dangled. It would be beyond stupid and shortsighted... And way more than 4 billion dollars. Mortal Kombat and other Midway property would be included. 4 billion is just for the studios. A limited time license for some titles would be a sweetener.
it makes absolutely zero sense for Sony.
Digital Extremes is currently working on a complete remake for all their level sets in Warframe, they barely can release updates on all the systems it is on in a timely manner... that studio is completely filled with work. and if SOny would make them stop updating warframe, they would get a shitstorm the size of our solar system.

and the other studios are honestly not that great. they basically just make multiplayer modes for already existing games... not a lot of talent there IMO
Sony can continue Warframe for 3 more years. Game doesnt have to be support indefinitely. Most certainly not after 10 years. “Sony is hoping that it can edge out other bidders with greater certainty of financing,” Multiplayer gamers for already existing games is exactly what they need. Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Santa Monica, etc would be focused on single player. The multiplayer focus of these teams would certainly plug a gap in PlayStation’s portfolio. There’s alot of multiplayer talent in these studios. Any of these studios can do what Bluepoint does, if needed too.

I think if Microsoft wants to buy it they will. It certainly seems like less of a stretch financially (Microsoft is the size of 25 Activisions), and it fits right in with their focus on subscription models in every market they are in.
All these games would be removed from Gamepass when the license turns over in 5 years. I doubt Gears of War5, Crackdown 3, or any of their output has been hugely profitable. They’ll are probably selling higher-ups on netflix membership size potential. All their purchases have been game studios that fit the gamepass model. In the end I only see Activision going for it. But in the end it might be EA.

iorek21

All LEGO games would become MS proprieties, including Marvel/Disney ones... That’s actually very funny

I wouldn’t doubt if Sony made a move on Take Two as a response.

Everyone is talking about microsoft makeing these games on all platforms if they got WB Why would they? Maybe mortal kombat to bring in money. Would sony do that? No they wouldn't Everyone seems to think if microsoft does it it has to be multiplatform. I can see them getting all these studios and having them make nothing but xbox exclusives. I know that rubs some people the wrong way but I would much rather see xbox or sony acquire WB than EA Activision, take 2 or worse facebook or amazon.

Everyone is talking about microsoft makeing these games on all platforms if they got WB Why would they? Maybe mortal kombat to bring in money. Would sony do that? No they wouldn't Everyone seems to think if microsoft does it it has to be multiplatform. I can see them getting all these studios and having them make nothing but xbox exclusives. I know that rubs some people the wrong way but I would much rather see xbox or sony acquire WB than EA Activision, take 2 or worse facebook or amazon.

My guess would be that all future games by these studios that are not in current development would be exclusive to Xbox/PC with them being available on PS5 ONLY via Gamepass. That would force Sony into accept Gamepass on PS5. That's how MS gets there services/ecosystem on PS

Last edited:
All LEGO games would become MS proprieties, including Marvel/Disney ones... That’s actually very funny

I wouldn’t doubt if Sony made a move on Take Two as a response.
MS wouldn't allow it. This isn't even up for debate. If Rockstar were for sale, the much bigger companies like MS, Apple, Amazon, Google,Facebook would step in and outbid Sony.

And no, the Lego games would stay with WB since WB owns the Batman, HP,etc ips.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
WB Games does not own Batman. Harry Potter or Lego. They are all sublicensed from their respective copyright holders.

The Alien

Banned
Question out of ignorance: what IP's does Warner own that would warrant that much money?
Of all that's been mentioned I think Microsoft would be the best fit and also the ones who would fuck gamers the least. I can see then dripping games into GamePass a few weeks before wider launches, but EA, Take Two, and (gasp) Activision would absolutely plunder these titles.

There are about 8 or 9 studios involved in the deal (Rocksteady, Netherrealm, Monolith, Tt, and a bunch of WB titles studios, etc.). Rocksteady and Netherealm being pretty high quality.

There are a number of IPs aside from the Batman, Harry Potter, LOTR, Lego. I believe FEAR and Scribblenauts are in there as well.

I think this would certainly be used to drive GamePass interest but can see the games coming to all platforms as well. They'd make this money back in a few years.

Dabaus

Banned
Worst case scenario here. A bidding war for publishers between first parties is a worst case scenario and of course if it’s bad for the gaming industry it’s Microsoft leading the charge.

theclaw135

Banned
WB Games does not own Batman. Harry Potter or Lego. They are all sublicensed from their respective copyright holders.

Yeah Batman is a different WB division from the gaming IPs.

Some other odds and ends won't be included either. The RBI Baseball name was sold to Major League Baseball

SaucyJack

Indeed

Warner Bros (though not the gaming division) is actually the owner of DC though so retaining the license for a period would reasonably be part of any deal.

I'm pretty sceptical on this though, I can’t find a single credible source (in the business media) to corroborate any interest from Microsoft.

And tbh I actually think it’ll be tough for AT&T to get a deal done on this for the whole gaming division at all - the asking price is too high and the business is not particularly consistent or profitable overall.

Kerotan

Oh yeah, Microsoft would be 100% open to make those games available on Switch and Playstation.
As long as Nintendo and Sony allow Gamepass to work on their platforms. If not, good luck.
For a 30% cut of gamepass revenue through playstation and Nintendo? I'd say they'd be delighted to accept the free money.

As a Sony fan I hope this doesn't happen. In fact I'd love Sony to buy. Imagine a lord of the rings Trilogy made by Sony Santa Monica? That would be glorious.

Top Bottom