• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Exec Bill Stillwell: “We have a better console; we’re not worried about power”

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It seems however that Microsoft are confident in their power advantage. Bill Stillwell of Microsoft Cognition Team, formerly of Xbox, said as much in a recent YouTube video. Full credit to Dealer_Gaming. In a 2 hour long YouTube live stream, Bill said this when asked about the power of PS5 vs Xbox One:

“I think what you saw [with the PS5 reveal] was the unfortunate by-product of a GDC talk being turned into a marketing event. I loved Sony’s talk, I think they’ve got some cool tech. I personally think we have a better console, we’re not worried about the power narrative.”

I dont think it matters as developers are going to develop for the lowest denominator first.

The PC has always existed yet devs focus on consoles first and pc last.

Jtibh

Banned

It seems however that Microsoft are confident in their power advantage. Bill Stillwell of Microsoft Cognition Team, formerly of Xbox, said as much in a recent YouTube video. Full credit to Dealer_Gaming. In a 2 hour long YouTube live stream, Bill said this when asked about the power of PS5 vs Xbox One:

“I think what you saw [with the PS5 reveal] was the unfortunate by-product of a GDC talk being turned into a marketing event. I loved Sony’s talk, I think they’ve got some cool tech. I personally think we have a better console, we’re not worried about the power narrative.”

Fuck dealer.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Games you stupid fuck. Having better games is what its about. Your console doesn't mean shit without good games. God damn this is why I won't buy anymore Xbox systems, all they care about is hardware.
Games are not revealed in YouTube interviews. They have an online event for that. Infact they have already shown some games before this event - Halo Infinite, Hellblade II, Project Mara, Everwild and Flight Simulator. The next would be Playground Games RPG project.

MaulerX

They already have the power narative since 2017 with the one x and that didnt do anything for them. When will they realise when it comes to the two options, people rather have great exclusive games than power.

If you're talking about sales the gen was already decided by then. The One X wasn't going to change that.

In terms of them being host to the best looking third party games then yes, it did alot. If you, as a consumer, want the best looking third party games on console then you get an Xbox. If you don't care about power then keep playing on your Atari 2600.

Bernkastel

Oh, I don't mean the comparison to other consoles, just the in general... "we have enough power now" speil, all of them always give you.
Sony also did this in PS3 reveal by showing misleading CGI trailers while Xbox showed games very close to final product. Microsoft never flaunted to the "Power of Cell" level.

Last edited:

Shin

Banned
0hQyd5L.gif

MaulerX

Games you stupid fuck. Having better games is what its about. Your console doesn't mean shit without good games. God damn this is why I won't buy anymore Xbox systems, all they care about is hardware.

The irony in this statement is that Series X will have more games available at launch than PS5. Their backward compatibility program is second to none. And not just backwards compatible. But enhanced. With auto HDR, improved frame rates and resolutions.

And that's not mentioning all the unannounced games their first party studios are working on. This "no games" narrative is nothing but bullshit you've conjured and honestly couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Microsoft never flaunt to the "Power of Cell" level

Power of the Cloud was way more of an empty promise that did not produce any tangible result for devs or consumer while CELL, albeit hard to program for, was indeed powerful and if third party games were able to look anywhere near the Xbox 360 games and in some rarer cases even better (Oblivion actually looked better on PS3, not to talk about the first party titles) it is because of the CELL CPU more than the obsolete GPU nVIDIA sold them (which had good tools on the software side at least): https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1460125/ . But keep with twisting facts and half truths ;).

Bernkastel

The irony in this statement is that Series X will have more games available at launch than PS5. Their backward compatibility program is second to none. And not just backwards compatible. But enhanced. With auto HDR, improved frame rates and resolutions.

And that's not mentioning all the unannounced games their first party studios are working on. This "no games" narrative is nothing but bullshit you've conjured and honestly couldn't be further from the truth.
To be frank Sony also has PS4 backwards compatibility but I get your point. Halo Infinite, Hellblade II, and Playground Games RPG will definitely come before any PS5 first party game because of how long they are in development(also Forza Motorsport 8 to show off ray tracing). Xbox has a stronger lineup for the first year. After that it will be a war between newer Xbox studios like Obsidian and Sony first party studios.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Its crazy the only narrative they jump to is the one that no longer applies. We're still seeing the only, "Halo, Gears and Forza" meme. That's wild and hilarious!

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Games are not revealed in YouTube interviews. They have an online event for that. Infact they have already shown some games before this event - Halo Infinite, Hellblade II, Project Mara, Everwild and Flight Simulator. The next would be Playground Games RPG project.

Exactly.

And what has Sony shown? Oh that's right, a meme-worthy controller and that God awful Godfall - sure to be system seller.

Grinchy

Banned

Didn't they already admit that their unannounced first party games are 12+ months away from the XSX launch? So yeah, they sure do have more "enhanced" games, and potentially only that. I wonder if it'll bite them in the ass that their only first party releases for at least a whole year are just enhanced last-gen games.

cireza

Banned
Feels only natural for Microsoft to be confident. They have the better hardware, and their communication has been pretty much perfect until now.

They need to deliver on the games level, with single player games as well (and not only multi-player/co-op games) and have the right price tag.

Bernkastel

Power of the Cloud was way more of an empty promise that did not produce any tangible result for devs or consumer while CELL, albeit hard to program for, was indeed powerful and if third party games were able to look anywhere near the Xbox 360 games and in some rarer cases even better (Oblivion actually looked better on PS3, not to talk about the first party titles) it is because of the CELL CPU more than the obsolete GPU nVIDIA sold them (which had good tools on the software side at least): https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1460125/ . But keep with twisting facts and half truths ;).
Majority(instead of some one of cases like Oblivion it happened most of the time) of the third party titles looked better on Xbox 360 and this is not same Xbox One - PS4, this is way more. No matter how much you revision facts this wont change. If PS5 games magically looked better than XSX, no one cares how powerful XSX is.
Power of the Cloud was way more of an empty promise that did not produce any tangible result
Since, Last of Us came out at the end of last gen and was believed to showcase 'Power of Cell', then why not this ?

Last edited:

Bernkastel

As long as they don't sell it for $100 more, pack-in a camera, and say it can't work without it. They may actually compete this gen.
The pack in camera has become its own thing now

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
The power is fine, everyone knows this. It's games that they need to start talking about.

They both need to tall about games its not like its all smooth sailing with sony with disasters like the order 1886,days gone and drive club.

I think sony had slightly better gen with spiderman, god of war and uncharted 4, but I spent just as much time on sea of thieves, gears 4,5 and halo 5. I think the sony first party advantage is greatly over exaggerated most of the time.

NonPhixion

The pack in camera has become its own thing now

Oh right on, good to see them trying different avenues with the technology seeing as it didn't do a whole lot in the gaming space.

Top Bottom