• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Exec Bill Stillwell: “We have a better console; we’re not worried about power”

They both need to tall about games its not like its all smooth sailing with sony with disasters like the order 1886,days gone and drive club.

I think sony had slightly better gen with spiderman, god of war and uncharted 4, but I spent just as much time on sea of thieves, gears 4,5 and halo 5. I think the sony first party advantage is greatly over exaggerated most of the time.

Playstation 4 is an interesting business case study in how to dominate a generation.

#1 - have your main competitor commit harakiri at the very inception.
#2 - have the PS4 GPU be 50% more powerful than XB1
#3 - because of #2 PS4 gets to dominate multiplat AAA for the first several years
#4 - have an amazing stretch from 2016-2018 where you release all your 'system sellers'
#4 - because of #4, 2019 to present flopping of new 1st party doesn't matter(Days Gone, Death Stranding)

XBox has a lot of image problem in the EU, Japan, South Korea to overcome. I don't think they can ever overcome it on the console level. At best they might gain entry via new appealing games with Project xCloud. One thing in the EU, Japan & South Korea is a lot of people commute on subway systems and having the ability to play AAA games on their mobile device of choice would be a game-changer.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Playstation 4 is an interesting business case study in how to dominate a generation.

#1 - have your main competitor commit harakiri at the very inception.
#2 - have the PS4 GPU be 50% more powerful than XB1
#3 - because of #2 PS4 gets to dominate multiplat AAA for the first several years
#4 - have an amazing stretch from 2016-2018 where you release all your 'system sellers'
#4 - because of #4, 2019 to present flopping of new 1st party doesn't matter(Days Gone, Death Stranding)

XBox has a lot of image problem in the EU, Japan, South Korea to overcome. I don't think they can ever overcome it on the console level. At best they might gain entry via new appealing games with Project xCloud. One thing in the EU, Japan & South Korea is a lot of people commute on subway systems and having the ability to play AAA games on their mobile device of choice would be a game-changer.

Yes, I agree PS5 will end up with more users, but gamers are very fickle, Xbox has already righted some wrongs by having the most powerful console, leading the charge with BC.
All it will take is a few 90+ metacritic xbox exclusives to put them close to there 360 days(in terms of users on the xbox platform). if Xbox can lose about 40 million gamers, they can get them back.

hyperbertha

I'm a little out of the loop on this. But haven't they shown more games than Sony has?
You mean grounded and Sea of thieves? Hardly what people mean when they say 'games'. Right now neither sony nor Xbox has shown a valid reason to buy their console.

Hardware wise I have good reason to beileve Sony's SSD will make more of a difference than the Tflops so I'm not buying into the better console narrative. Ultimately exclusives will decide who will win.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
No, they weren't. Stop with the lying and exaggerating.
By the looks of it, you haven't tried any, other than in your console warring mind. Pathetic.
Yes they were. We even had recent complaining about that

I knew what to expect before I clicked the thread. Still not disappointed.

War never changes.

Bottom line is the XsX is more powerful on paper, and I assume will be more powerful in practice as well (for most third party games anyway).

Sony has the clear games advantage. This isn’t an overnight fix kinda thing. They have planted seeds and will keep planting seeds and hopefully over the course of the next 4-6 years their first party catalog competes with Sony’s.

I believe they will bridge the games gap, it just takes time.

Having the XsX monster to showcase those games will help too

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I'm a little out of the loop on this. But haven't they shown more games than Sony has?
They've shown a bunch of little cartoony shit that no one cares about. Sony is riding on the eventual Game of the Generation in TLOU 2 and another fantastic looking new AAA IP in Ghosts of Tsushima. We know the next gen heavy hitters are coming from Sony too, all from proven studios. We don't know shit about Microsoft.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Yes, I agree PS5 will end up with more users, but gamers are very fickle, Xbox has already righted some wrongs by having the most powerful console, leading the charge with BC.
All it will take is a few 90+ metacritic xbox exclusives to put them close to there 360 days(in terms of users on the xbox platform). if Xbox can lose about 40 million gamers, they can get them back.

Since 2017 xbox dominates power. Where are your games where are your 40milliin users that xbox will get back?
If it didnt happen with xonex what makes you think it will happen now? Why did no one switch already?

Xbox has no games period.
You will see a bunch of effort in the first year like it was the case with xone and then it will fade away cuz of small user base and it will be just a third party machine again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jtibh

Banned
They've shown a bunch of little cartoony shit that no one cares about. Sony is riding on the eventual Game of the Generation in TLOU 2 and another fantastic looking new AAA IP in Ghosts of Tsushima. We know the next gen heavy hitters are coming, all from proven studios. We don't know shit about Microsoft.
Why is no one talking about nioh 2?
You dont need to wait till those come out.

Go get nioh 2

Bernkastel

Slashbringinghasher?

Come on Lady, don't be like this. You're better than that.
I posted them not for the OP, but because both are full of examples of PS3 underperforming compared to Xbox 360 in 3rd party. There were games where PS3 had the advantage, but they were vastly outnumbered. Also, usually it would be cases like GTA V looked slightly better on PS3 than Xbox 360 compared with Skyrim being almost broken on PS3.

Jtibh

Banned
I knew what to expect before I clicked the thread. Still not disappointed.

War never changes.

Bottom line is the XsX is more powerful on paper, and I assume will be more powerful in practice as well (for most third party games anyway).

Sony has the clear games advantage. This isn’t an overnight fix kinda thing. They have planted seeds and will keep planting seeds and hopefully over the course of the next 4-6 years their first party catalog competes with Sony’s.

I believe they will bridge the games gap, it just takes time.

Having the XsX monster to showcase those games will help too
For xbox to be ahead they have to release way before sony.
They will have more lead way and will have a larger library by the time sony shows up as well they would have a price advantage.

Come on microsoft dont be a pussy lets get started.

Mr Hyde

Also, usually it would be cases like GTA V looked slightly better on PS3 than Xbox 360 compared with Skyrim being almost broken on PS3.

There is a difference between "looking slightly better" and "looking like complete shit". Yes, some PS3-titles were underperforming compared to their 360-outings (with Skyrim being downright broken, no denying that) but saying that the majority of PS3-titles visually looked and ran like complete shit is nothing but lies and exaggeration. It's fanboy nonsense and you know this.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We need some awesome gritty sci-ri/rpgs like those artists concept pics.

We got Gears, Forza, KI for the gritty stuff (maybe I'm missing some), but a lot of the other games are cartoonish.... Rare, NT, that We Happy Few dev etc.... Even Obsidian's RPG was colours gone crazy.

Bernkastel

We need some awesome gritty sci-ri/rpgs like those artists concept pics.

We got Gears, Forza, KI for the gritty stuff (maybe I'm missing some), but a lot of the other games are cartoonish.... Rare, NT, that We Happy Few dev etc.... Even Obsidian's RPG was colours gone crazy.
Outer Worlds was done with a very limited budget and time.

Honestly, doesnt Hellblae II look gritty enough.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yes they were. We even had recent complaining about that

SlashBash threads?

GTFO, FFS gaming side.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Majority(instead of some one of cases like Oblivion it happened most of the time) of the third party titles looked better on Xbox 360
A point nobody was debating, conveniently not what I was saying at all.

No matter how much you revision facts this wont change. If PS5 games magically looked better than XSX, no one cares how powerful XSX is.
What are you going off on a tangent about here?

Since, Last of Us came out at the end of last gen and was believed to showcase 'Power of Cell', then why not this ?

A (jaw dropping my beautiful) flight simulator game that is not even out on PC yet and that takes advantage of data model streaming (emphasis is on the massive size of the data set you are streaming from rather than adding compute resources from the cloud aka “The Power of the Cloud” spiel they were going on about in 2013). Manu first party and third party games were taking advantage of the power of the CELL, not just the first party ones that looked more impressive technically.

Posting the B3D link for you (an act of pure naive optimism) : https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1460125/

(aka the workload that CELL carried on its shoulders to overcome nVIDIA’s GPU shortcomings, missing features, and or bugs).

That's not how it happens. I've yet to see any kind of huge recovery like that. Blackberry still exists, but they are a shell. Nokia still exists, but a shell. XBox seems to be headed down that same road. Super niche.

is fine to have a ferrari, not so much when you have to stick to the 55mph speed limit. if you know what i mean.

So what you're saying is Microsoft is not taking advantage of their power and prioritizing the wrong parts of the pipeline. Instant loading will be the buzzword for 2020 when PS5 is shown later this year and nobody will talk about resolution/frame-rate. As if those things never mattered. Only non-existent loading time.

LordOfChaos

"I think what you saw [with the PS5 reveal] was the unfortunate by-product of a GDC talk being turned into a marketing event. I loved Sony’s talk, I think they’ve got some cool tech"

^Agreed. I don't find much disagreeable in what he said. They're each going to say theirs is the better system but this was charitable and entirely correct, the GDC talk was not meant for a mass market, but with as hungry as people are for PS5 news it became a whole thing, and Sony could have managed that, maybe not even recorded it.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Of course Sony has way more plans for PS5 launch than they have shown.

Why would Sony be saying too much about PS5, when they still have bucketloads of money to make selling PS4 games? For the same reason Nintendo lies that they don't have plans for new hardware any time soon...they are giving their current, VERY profitable stuff room to shine. There's no reason to rush it and steal their own thunder.

Once PS4 has "used up" it's final hurrah they will reinvigorate the brand with a deluge of PS5 info, including games. Revealing the controller now was a good move to keep anticipation strong, without showing anything that would distract you from PS4.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
You mean grounded and Sea of thieves? Hardly what people mean when they say 'games'. Right now neither sony nor Xbox has shown a valid reason to buy their console.

Hardware wise I have good reason to beileve Sony's SSD will make more of a difference than the Tflops so I'm not buying into the better console narrative. Ultimately exclusives will decide who will win.
The more you guys keep banging on about that SSD the more desperate it sounds. Holy shyte! Y'all straight like, "If we imagine the SSD can translate into more power, yes! Yes it does equal more flops. Maybe even 13tf!" Lol.

The power narrative is set and match. Time to let that go. Games are another matter, I agree. But, Sony won't produce the only bangers next gen either. You can count on it. Theres definitely some crazy shit coming down the pike on team Green.

Jtibh

Banned
So what you're saying is Microsoft is not taking advantage of their power and prioritizing the wrong parts of the pipeline. Instant loading will be the buzzword for 2020 when PS5 is shown later this year and nobody will talk about resolution/frame-rate. As if those things never mattered. Only non-existent loading time.
I guess he is implying that xbox wont be pushed to the limit due to low user base and will end up just upresing third party titles as is the case currently.
You can see how sony's first party titles always pushed beyond what we seen on microsoft consoles with exception of original xbox.
But even then we had god of war 2 on ps2 that was mind blowing for such a weak console.
Microsoft could have 16 teroflop if noone is making any exclusives that take advantage of 16 teraflop due to low return of investment whats the point.

NonPhixion

Maybe Sony should launch the PS5 at $599, use a controller style from the year 2000, and give Microsoft a year head start? Certainly helped the 360 vs PS3, that you all seem to be talking about. Might make things closer again?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
flopping of new 1st party doesn't matter(Days Gone
Since when did this title flop? About Death Stranding and other games, they sold more than decently overal and gathered a lot of publicity and critical acclaim. For first party titles that need to drive the platform and help establish the ecosystem and provide variety, it is a title that other platforms would have gotten as exclusive if they had the chance.

Tamy

Banned
At launch the only thing that really matters is:

1. The price
2. The power of the console

Games do not matter that much at launch! Just look at the launch lineup of the PS4:

PS4 exclusive launch games from Sony back then:

Sony Computer Entertainment Titles:

Killzone Shadow Fall: 73% at Metacritic
Knack: 54% at Metacritic

at launch.

Later on, so not even at launch, we had more exclusive games like:

Driveclub 71% at Metacritic
The Order: 1886: 63% at Metacritic

So, it will take years until we see all those games you are talking about! I don't think we will see horizon 2 or god of war at launch! At least, Sony did not announce anything like that for the launch

And yes games are very important in the long run, but not at the start of the generation! And well, what did sony show though?

So far:

Godfall
Quantum Error

Do these games convince people to get a PS5 at launch? Will people buy a PS5 for these games? Can you compare those games to The Last of Us Part II? I doubt it.
I hope that Sony will announce more games for launch, there is still plenty of time, but well, the last console launch didn't really have acclaimed games.

Xbox on the contrary has Halo Infinite confirmed for console launch, this games has been in development since 2015, so, I think this will convince at least a few people to get a new xbox. And MS bought a lot of new studios, who are working on new games, and I hope MS will also unveil more games around June.

Last edited:
Top Bottom