• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Earning Report FY22 Q4 | Gaming Revenue Down 7% YoY

Lognor

Banned

Last quarter xbox consoles were more readily available compared to Q3 and to 2021.

A quarter where supply issues eased and supply got better globally for everything but because MS made an off hand comment about a supply issue you think supply was lower in Q4 compared to Q3 and to 2021 even.
We had this thread right at the beginning of April (Q4)

Titled "It looks like XSX shortage finally coming to an end"

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/it-l...hortage-are-finally-coming-to-an-end.1633908/

With the usual suspects talking about MS unbelievable ramp up in production and "[2021 being] the height of scarcity anyway and MS was also updating Xcloud with SXs". Bernd even mentioning MS supply buying power. Now when I say people are spending less this quarter and demand has gone down all of a sudden this was the worst quarter for supply constraints.
Besides I don't think somebody who lost a bet so badly should be talking about being clueless.

You really are this clueless, huh? You say last QUARTER Xbox consoles were more readily available. Okay, that's fine. But this 7% decrease is year over year. So what about the three quarters before that? Were Xbox consoles more readily available the prior three quarters? If not, how can you expect ONE quarter where they were more readily available to overcome three prior quarters of severe supply constraints? Well you're clueless so I suppose you could expect that. You might be best to stay away from sales threads. You aren't adding anything. You just end up looking clueless (which you are).

Fredrik

Stock is up nearly 7%, what’s happening? I see that Nvidia is up too. Has something happened in the US today that could spike the stock market?

DaGwaphics

You really are this clueless, huh? You say last QUARTER Xbox consoles were more readily available. Okay, that's fine. But this 7% decrease is year over year. So what about the three quarters before that? Were Xbox consoles more readily available the prior three quarters? If not, how can you expect ONE quarter where they were more readily available to overcome three prior quarters of severe supply constraints? Well you're clueless so I suppose you could expect that. You might be best to stay away from sales threads. You aren't adding anything. You just end up looking clueless (which you are).

That article and thread proved to be more of an anomaly than the new norm anyway. Some posters like to use the European market where Xbox isn't quite as strong to begin with and use that to paint the picture for NA.

It's a crazy argument to have in the first place. I hope these consoles do get to sitting on shelves on the regular, that's the way it should be 2yrs in. Better for everyone, but we aren't there yet.

Kvally

Banned
It shows as available to me.

Also, here is a picture that I took from a Best Buy near me (and I believe they had more in the back):
KvjRVcX.png
None within 250 miles of me.

sainraja

Must not be an Xbox town. Not one within 250 miles of me at BB.
The stores that I see, that don't have one available for pick up today, state that you can order now and pick up on Friday or the following Friday (which suggests to me they are expecting a shipment very soon) and I have only seen Best Buy do this for products they know they will have in stock soon (otherwise you can't buy those items, the buy or add to cart option just isn't there.) So, I mean, I am definitely starting to see them in stores now. I am not saying this is a bad thing....I am just saying that I see them available more now compared to before.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

The stores that I see, that don't have one available for pick up today, state that you can order now and pick up on Friday or the following Friday (which suggests to me they are expecting a shipment very soon) and I have only seen Best Buy do this for products they know they will have in stock soon (otherwise you can't buy those items, the buy or add to cart option just isn't there.) So, I mean, I am definitely starting to see them in stores now.

BB is allowing you to order for shipping now, they weren't this morning. Looks like they have another wave coming. As long as the ebb and flow remains, supply isn't that good.

Last edited:

sainraja

BB is allowing you to order for shipping now, they weren't this morning. Looks like they have another wave coming. As long as the ebb and flow remains, supply isn't that good.
They were for me (I could have ordered one this morning) + I could also go into a store to pick one up nearby. That's besides the point though. The fact that you can order one easily, shows that it's gotten better. Where I am, you can go to a store to pick it up (in some cases you are only waiting a day or two, or until their next shipment) or just order it online.

Last edited:

Rivet

Stock is up nearly 7%, what’s happening? I see that Nvidia is up too. Has something happened in the US today that could spike the stock market?

It's just the 0.75 rate hike by Powell. Markets sell that expected bad news, so it goes up.

Markets usually work in that counterintuitive way.

They reflect the evolution of expectations, not the news themselves.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

They were for me and I could also go into a store to pick one up nearby. That's besides the point though. The fact that you can order one easily, shows that it's gotten better. In my area, you can go to a store to pick it up or just order it online.

Must vary by location, still nothing local around me. People have different ideas of what is easy. To me, if you can't buy it on any given day, at any given store that sells it, it isn't as available as it could/should be. That's me.

Last edited:

sainraja

People have different ideas of what is easy. To me, if you can't buy it on any given day, at any given store that sells it, it isn't as available as it could/should be. That's me.
So if I had gone ahead and ordered one this morning that was available for me to pick up...isn't easy?
Or if if I place an order for one now and get it next Thursday by Aug 4th...isn't easy?

Most items you order online you have to wait 3-5 business days anyway! lol If waiting a couple days isn't easy then ordering most things online isn't easy and you can say the same about their availability - not as available as they should/could be. I am just saying that if I wanted to get another XSX right now, I could.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
So if I had gone ahead and ordered one this morning that was available for me to pick up...isn't easy?
Or if if I place an order for one now and get it next Thursday by Aug 4th...isn't easy?

Most items you order online you have to wait 3-5 business days anyway! lol
You're speaking of your own anecdotal evidence. IF we speak in generalities, it still is not easy to find. It comes in and out of stock, so it is more readily available, but it's not sitting on every major retailer's shelves. The Switch is. The Switch is easily available. Series X, not so much.

DaGwaphics

Most items you order online you have to wait 3-5 business days anyway! lol

You're being intentionally obtuse. Obviously, checking out at a store isn't difficult. Many stores are still sold out of these consoles, you can't just go and get one when you want. Today was a good day for you, Aug 6th maybe not so much. People are having no luck around me at BB, Walmart, or Target in store, and can only ship from BB or Walmart (if you hit one of the little windows they are offering). What about other weeks, etc. A good day today, or even a good week means nothing for the next week and so on. If you have products that are sometimes sold out for 6 or 7 days at a time, that's not great supply. Plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Most items you order online you have to wait 3-5 business days anyway! lol If waiting a couple days isn't easy then ordering most things online isn't easy and you can say the same about their availability - not as available as they should/could be. I am just saying that if I wanted to get another XSX right now, I could.
The point is if little Timmy's birthday was two weeks ago maybe you couldn't get one for him in time. It's likely that when this shipment sells through, you again won't be able to order one.

sainraja

You're being intentionally obtuse. Obviously, checking out at a store isn't difficult. Many stores are still sold out of these consoles, you can't just go and get one when you want. Today was a good day for you, Aug 6th maybe not so much. People are having no luck around me at BB, Walmart, or Target in store, and can only ship from BB or Walmart (if you hit one of the little windows they are offering). What about other weeks, etc. A good day today, or even a good week means nothing for the next week and so on. If you have products that are sometimes sold out for 6 or 7 days at a time, that's not great supply. Plenty of room for improvement.
I also made the point earlier that when these things were really hard to get, you couldn't even place an order for one at all. Best Buy is taking order for these things and even giving you a date for when you can pick it up or have it delivered. Sure, we can argue back and forth about the level of demand, but that's not my point. It's not that hard to get an XSX now if you really want to get one. I also haven't dismissed the idea that availability of the thing can vary from one area to the next.

Not sure why some of you are thinking XSX being a little more available now then before is a bad thing.

Last edited:

Three

That article and thread proved to be more of an anomaly than the new norm anyway. Some posters like to use the European market where Xbox isn't quite as strong to begin with and use that to paint the picture for NA.

It's a crazy argument to have in the first place. I hope these consoles do get to sitting on shelves on the regular, that's the way it should be 2yrs in. Better for everyone, but we aren't there yet.
Which article. The article is from NA. The UK mostly follows the US in stock ups and downs.

I think you don't get what YoY means. The last three previous quarters have nothing to do with anything. Besides I'm talking about prior quarter to this quarter not YoY. YoY means April, May, June 2022 vs April May June 2021. That's how clueless you are not me.

Last edited:

reksveks

It's just the 0.75 rate hike by Powell. Markets sell that expected bad news, so it goes up.

Microsoft was up before that news. it did help but it was up like 3% before the Fed news around interest rates. Both Alphabet and Microsoft largely kept their aftermarket bumps yesterday.

In terms of the wider market, the fed news definitely gave a boost.

Neofire

There’s zero overlap between the PC OS business and Netflix. And Microsoft doesn’t have an ‘essential monopoly’.

The fact that you can’t see how AT&T - T-Mobile is dramatically different from Microsoft - Netflix comes as no great surprise, given the level of posts you put up here.
Says the individual on a game forum frothing over a company buying another and neither giving two shits about said individual.

Anyone with the shill blinders taken off can see that one market leader buying another market leader would disrupt industries.

Keep wishing and hoping I guess but I digress.

DaGwaphics

Not sure why some of you are thinking XSX being a little more available now then before is a bad thing.

I don't think it's a bad thing at all. It's just hyperbolic to say that it is readily available across the country (which is what was being implied). A bit improved at certain times, with periods of being completely unavailable simply isn't that.

I'd like stock to even out. That's when we get custom consoles shipping with pack-in games at MSRP. I'd like to get a special edition XSX of some kind, since those typically sell for $50-$100 more at generations end.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

So you're saying FUD has no actual impact on the stocks and a company's perceived success ? hmm ..

Last edited:

Rivet

Microsoft was up before that news. it did help but it was up like 3% before the Fed news around interest rates. Both Alphabet and Microsoft largely kept their aftermarket bumps yesterday.

In terms of the wider market, the fed news definitely gave a boost.

His question was about the market, not MSFT. But yes, MSFT did great too, which tells us nothing about its gaming division, a very minor part of MSFT.

The rate hike news was largely expected, which is why market was drifting higher even before the news.

More generally, the upward wave relies on the belief inflation is temporary and rate hikes will ultimately stop soon.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Says the individual on a game forum frothing over a company buying another and neither giving two shits about said individual.

Anyone with the shill blinders taken off can see that one market leader buying another market leader would disrupt industries.

Keep wishing and hoping I guess but I digress.

Lmao. Why would I wish Microsoft would buy Netflix? What is that to me?

You’re simply throwing a hissy fit simply because I pointed out that it’s unlikely that the FTC would block such an acquisition since there aren’t really any antitrust concerns. Netflix is on everything, and will stay on everything.

Not a single thing I’ve said indicates I want that acquisition. I’d imagine that would be a colossal waste of resources for MS. Imagine making up shit just because you got corrected in an enthusiast gaming forum.

reksveks

His question was about the market, not MSFT. But yes, MSFT did great too, which tells us nothing about its gaming division, a very minor part of MSFT.

The rate hike news was largely expected, which is why market was drifting higher even before the news.

More generally, the upward wave relies on the hope inflation is temporary and rate hikes will ultimately stop soon.
Yeah, shareholders don't largely care about the 7/8% that currently xbox/gaming makes up MSFT.

Yeah, the rate hike has been predictable for a while.

KingT731

A nice little graph to help people visualize the performance:

It should be the best year(revenue) for them as this is the first full year of them officially owning Bethesda as well. The same thing will happen when the AB purchase goes through it will then be their best year ever and not due to anything they actually did besides the purchases.

Neofire

Lmao. Why would I wish Microsoft would buy Netflix? What is that to me?

You’re simply throwing a hissy fit simply because I pointed out that it’s unlikely that the FTC would block such an acquisition since there aren’t really any antitrust concerns. Netflix is on everything, and will stay on everything.

Not a single thing I’ve said indicates I want that acquisition. I’d imagine that would be a colossal waste of resources for MS. Imagine making up shit just because you got corrected in an enthusiast gaming forum.
Hissy fit? 🤣 Look at who replayed to who first. I could care less what your opinion is but to insinuate my opinion is invalid is the problem. The only thing you've correct is my underestimation of how big of a shill you come off as lol.

You can carry on with your rhetoric with someone else.

It should be the best year(revenue) for them as this is the first full year of them officially owning Bethesda as well. The same thing will happen when the AB purchase goes through it will then be their best year ever and not due to anything they actually did besides the purchases.

Microsoft Gaming Revenue schould reach $20bn this year already if the $ATVI goes through this calendar year already.
2023 will also see a lot of first party titles, that increase revenue.

$25bn in FY2024.

This is all on the condition of a minor recession. Not some super depression.

oldergamer

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 and the zillion other deals announced as launch exclusives/exclusives that fill up MS 2021/2022 conferences are a figment of my imagination, I suppose. Yeah, I am getting senile and dreaming things, alright. Either that, or you are clearly showing your ass here, hiding behind the guise of MS supposed magnanimity, when reality itself contradicts your stance.
I'll let the others judge the exchange...
There is a difference in paying for an exclusive vs voluntarily choosing to only release on a single platform (not paying for an exclusive). A difference in paying to permanently keep game off your competition for the entire generation. yes you are clearly dreaming things up.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can't wait to see some of the energy on Friday if sonys numbers aren't anything but massive.

Launched sequel to horizon, the first gran turismo in years and God of war confirmed for this year I imagine there numbers will be huge right nominedomine nominedomine ?

Topher

Gold Member
There is a difference in paying for an exclusive vs voluntarily choosing to only release on a single platform (not paying for an exclusive). A difference in paying to permanently keep game off your competition for the entire generation. yes you are clearly dreaming things up.

You think Microsoft's timed exclusives are not paid?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Three let me just ask you this, and its not soley directed at you, but you and others are going in hard with this, and i wouldnt expect anything less, but what are you going to to say if Sony also reports a similar decline?, and then later on when we get Nintendo;s data, Nintendo also show a similar decline?
I'm just interested what your take will be on it becuae comparing to last year where we were deep in a pandemic, and to this quarter where the world is about to go into a recession and covid is a thing of the past, i honestly will be surprised if all of the big 3 have not shown some kind of decline compared to last year.

This is a great post and I agree. I'm interested to see numbers from the other two big players and see if the conversation is that demand for switch and ps5 has dropped also, or will it be spun that those consoles are in constraint and there's no waybthat demand can be waining for anything but the xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How are these companies ever going to sell a unit if they don't have stock available for you to order ever...how is that shit being spun as a negative?

I'm baffled!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I don't see this as a great result purely on the basis of the massive increase in expenditure involved in broadening out their first-party portfolio. Even if most of these acquisitions are yet to properly bear fruit (i.e. Starfield releases) you'd expect more uplift simply based on the promise, especially so when ultimately its going to end up a value add to their core offering of Gamepass on PC and console.

Same deal to a large extent with ABK buyout, surely a big deal by itself, but its also an epic PR coup - and if that isn't driving demand big-time, you have to wonder what exactly is going to move that competitive needle?

sainraja

I don't think it's a bad thing at all. It's just hyperbolic to say that it is readily available across the country (which is what was being implied). A bit improved at certain times, with periods of being completely unavailable simply isn't that.

I'd like stock to even out. That's when we get custom consoles shipping with pack-in games at MSRP. I'd like to get a special edition XSX of some kind, since those typically sell for $50-$100 more at generations end.
Readily available vs better availability compared to before. My point in later conversation has been, that availability has been better now than before. Supply and demand is somewhat normalizing or beginning to, I think so anyway — based on what I have seen around me. We've obviously moved beyond the initial point, the reason I even entered the conversation — Topher shared links to Best Buy and Walmart, and adams responded saying there is no availability (based on him checking), to which I countered by pointing out there is availability (based on my own checking) and sharing a picture that I took of the XSX. Somehow that turned into a back and forth between us.

I mean, we can keep going in circles but it seems silly to me at this point. But to make it absolutely clear, I never stated that availability of the console is "normal" but if someone really wants one, they can get it easily given that Best Buy isn't stopping people from placing an order** even if they may not have one in stock right away. They know when they are going to get another batch and are willing to take the order for it. This was never the case before AT ALL.

** They may not be offering this in your area, but you can place an order now and get it by Thursday next week where I am.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't see this as a great result purely on the basis of the massive increase in expenditure involved in broadening out their first-party portfolio. Even if most of these acquisitions are yet to properly bear fruit (i.e. Starfield releases) you'd expect more uplift simply based on the promise, especially so when ultimately its going to end up a value add to their core offering of Gamepass on PC and console.

Same deal to a large extent with ABK buyout, surely a big deal by itself, but its also an epic PR coup - and if that isn't driving demand big-time, you have to wonder what exactly is going to move that competitive needle?

They’re selling every high end Xbox they make. With no major AAA first party exclusives this year. What more demand do they need to drive?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They’re selling every high end Xbox they make. With no major AAA first party exclusives this year. What more demand do they need to drive?

I see more people who are excited by the product buying in with the readily available series S than straight-up holding off until they can get an X. I mean, what are they playing on in the meantime?

We're a fair way into this gen, coming up on 2 years this holiday season, and given that there's nothing more intrinsically valuable about selling series X units overs series S units - and both offer the same all-access value proposition, like I say I'd expect more impact.

I can't wait to see some of the energy on Friday if sonys numbers aren't anything but massive.

Launched sequel to horizon, the first gran turismo in years and God of war confirmed for this year I imagine there numbers will be huge right nominedomine nominedomine ?
Yes, Sony had a great year as far as games no doubt, with God of War and TLoU Part 1 still to release.

Will they be better than a 7% shrinkage YoY? We'll find out soon.

DaGwaphics

Readily available vs better availability compared to before. My point in later conversation has been, that availability has been better now than before. Supply and demand is somewhat normalizing or beginning to, I think so anyway — based on what I have seen around me. We've obviously moved beyond the initial point, the reason I even entered the conversation — Topher shared links to Best Buy and Walmart, and adams responded saying there is no availability (based on him checking), to which I countered by pointing out there is availability (based on my own checking) and sharing a picture that I took of the XSX. Somehow that turned into a back and forth between us.

I mean, we can keep going in circles but it seems silly to me at this point. But to make it absolutely clear, I never stated that availability of the console is "normal" but if someone really wants one, they can get it easily given that Best Buy isn't stopping people from placing an order** even if they may not have one in stock right away. They know when they are going to get another batch and are willing to take the order for it. This was never the case before AT ALL.

** They may not be offering this in your area, but you can place an order now and get it by Thursday next week where I am.

Everyone has their own opinions on what constitutes what. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just letting my own frustrations creep in. LOL

At this point last-gen several good LE consoles had already been released. I had just a basic X1/PS4 last gen, and after noticing the difference in resale values I want one of those this time. So far just the Halo one, that was a great one, but it was basically impossible to get one without jumping through hoops.

Also, for anyone using a private tracker, Walmart has started using a different URL for both the all access and standard versions of the consoles, LOL.

Last edited:

onesvenus

if that isn't driving demand big-time, you have to wonder what exactly is going to move that competitive needle?
Why would Bethesda or Activision deals drive demand before a single game of those publishers has been released exclusively since the purchase?
I thought it was obvious that games, not the prospect of having them in the future, is what sells consoles

Last edited:

Fredrik

Why would Bethesda or Activision deals drive demand before a single game of those publishers has been released exclusively since the purchase?
I thought it was obvious that games, not the prospect of having them in the future, is what sells consoles
If you’re looking to buy a console today, and if your favorite games are Skyrim, Doom Eternal and Call of Duty, it seems safer to buy a Xbox Series console when you know for sure it will get future iterations of your favorite games.

Same thing will happen for PS5 through the Bungie deal.

When there is some uncertanity about which games will come and which will stay on the other console, the result is that the acquisitions are driving demand before any game is out.

Last edited:

reksveks

If you’re looking to buy a console today, and if your favorite games are Skyrim, Doom Eternal and Call of Duty, it seems safer to buy a Xbox Series console when you know for sure it will get future iterations of your favorite games.

Same thing will happen for PS5 through the Bungie deal.

When there is some uncertanity about which games will come and which will stay on the other console, the result is that the acquisitions are driving demand before any game is out.
Not sure consumers are thinking that far forward but ultimately this topic is largely subjective and we don't really have any good consumer research on this topic. At least not here.

Should probably add that when I say consumers, I mean general gaming consumers, not people on Neogaf or gaming twitter

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes, Sony had a great year as far as games no doubt, with God of War and TLoU Part 1 still to release.

Will they be better than a 7% shrinkage YoY? We'll find out soon.

And if they do shrink by 7 percent or more, what will you say then?

I don't think Sony has had a stronger year than this year in a long time. New horizon sequel, GT7, last of us remake, and God of war ragnorak....plus the megaton that is Stray :D

What will you think if they are showing any negative tracking YoY?

That goes to everyone posting their theories against MS in this thread.

Wouldn't it be even worse for Sony if their numbers are tracking any kind of negative when they have one of the strongest years for releases in the last few years? MS has had nothing for 2022 but are only 7 percent down in 2022, that's pretty damn amazing really compared to what I'm seeing from other companies vs YoY.

Last edited:

93xfan

Banned
Gaming revenue being down 7 % despite all their efforts and investments doesn't look great.

Hardware sales being down 11 % is also worrying so soon in a new generation. Still, future AAA games could turn things around.
It’s weird to see you throw in positivity for Xbox at the end.

I often see a laughing emoji from you on any pro xbox opinion (even the mild ones), or even just pro xbox news. Sometimes the laugh emoji doesn’t even make sense so I check to see who did it. Sure enough, it’s you nearly every time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom