• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Changes 'Xbox Live' to 'Xbox online service' in their Services Agreement

ManaByte

In the Xbox section and throughout the Terms, we’ve updated the Xbox heading, changed Xbox Live to refer to Xbox online service, and refer to Xbox consoles, rather than Xbox One and Xbox 360 consoles. We’ve updated “Xbox Services” to include the Xbox online service, Xbox Game Studios games (including Mojang Games), applications, subscriptions, services and content provided by Microsoft. We’ve clarified what Microsoft can do if you sign in to your Xbox Services account to access a non-Microsoft Service (for example, a non-Microsoft game publisher of Third-Party Apps and Services). We’ve also clarified that you must be at least 13 years old to use the Mixer Service and, if you are under the age of majority where you live, you represent that your use is supervised by a parent or legal guardian.

Still think XBL Gold isn't going away?

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
ConsciousImportantBullfrog-size_restricted.gif

RookX22

All this talk about gold leaving I am wondering if something is going to take it's place. Like maybe have to have gamepass for online except for free to play games kinda like Sony? I mean free online play would be awesome but I like to cautiously optimistic about these things, I mean remember games for windows live.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It seems odd, but I think they see it at a necessary step to ensure GamePass has a shot at world domination.

Its not odd when your competition is outselling you at every avenue. You need more users. Gates to getting them into your eco system doesnt get your more users.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
All this talk about gold leaving I am wondering if something is going to take it's place. Like maybe have to have gamepass for online except for free to play games kinda like Sony? I mean free online play would be awesome but I like to cautiously optimistic about these things, I mean remember games for windows live.

It seems odd, but I think they see it at a necessary step to ensure GamePass has a shot at world domination.
Its not odd when your competition is outselling you at every avenue. You need more users. Gates to getting them into your eco system doesnt get your more users.

It would be a pretty big drop in revenue if they don't manage to increase their user base.

It is risky.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It would be a pretty big drop in revenue if they don't manage to increase their user base.

It is risky.

They have at most 15 million subbed to XBLG but that number is likely closer to 10.

The net they get from that is only going to continue to go down as more people play on other platforms. It's a shrinking source of revenue that already is netting less as they have added things like GWG.

Maybe for FTP games but not for every game. That's a huge loss in revenue and I doubt Microsoft will do it unless they make it back somehow.

Back in the day you had silver and gold. Gold was paid for, silver was free.
Then came gamepass, so you had silver, gold and gamepass.
Get rid of gold and have silver and gamepass.
Gold users upgrade to gamepass, because why wouldn't you? Microsoft get to brag about 45 million GP users as a metric

Maybe they are going to rename it Xbox Dead.

Xbox Vita?

They have at most 15 million subbed to XBLG but that number is likely closer to 10.

The net they get from that is only going to continue to go down as more people play on other platforms. It's a shrinking source of revenue that already is netting less as they have added things like GWG.

Dang you make it sound like it's the death of Xbox or something.

I guess it makes sense that Microsoft needs to do whatever it takes to get people into their ecosystem to prevent a real disaster from happening.

Dropping Xbox Live Gold and the Lockhart I believe could help with this.

But the competition is extremely strong right now and their gen on a high note. It will not be easy for them.

And I know there were comments on how Sony isn't a competitor to them but I still believe that they are.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Dang you make it sound like it's the death of Xbox or something.

I guess it makes sense that Microsoft needs to do whatever it takes to get people into their ecosystem to prevent a real disaster from happening.

Dropping Xbox Live Gold and the Lockhart I believe could help with this.

But the competition is extremely strong right now and their gen on a high note. It will not be easy for them.

And I know there were comments on how Sony isn't a competitor to them but I still believe that they are.

Not sure how I make it sound like the death of Xbox.

Gold is simply just not as profitable as they have made it easier for people to share and have half the amount of people they used to have combined with adding benefits that aren't free like GWG. They did increase the price at one point, believe it was 360 days, but it was only a $10 increase meaning they were likely not netting much to begin with.

Times have changed and a gate to stuff like Fortnite is only going to hurt you. Why would you play fortnite on Xbox when literally every other platform has it for free?

Could this turn into simply FTP no longer requires gold? Definitely. But it's a bit too late to make a big deal about that policy going away. But who knows? Microsoft isn't the best at PR sometimes.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned

So, you'll pay at least for something. IMO, just like this guy said

M7ckNTX.jpg

Yeah, a slap in the face. Not huge, but still slap.

Times have changed and a gate to stuff like Fortnite is only going to hurt you. Why would you play fortnite on Xbox when literally every other platform has it for free?

Could this turn into simply FTP no longer requires gold? Definitely. But it's a bit too late to make a big deal about that policy going away. But who knows? Microsoft isn't the best at PR sometimes.

That's what I think is going to happen because thats what the competition is doing. Having FTP games not be locked behind gold should have been a thing a while ago.

I would be shocked if they dropped the requirement for all games though.

M7ckNTX.jpg

That would be a huge disappointment. Forced gamepass is not good, even if its the same price and a good deal ultimately. People generally want to "choose" gamepass, they dont want it shoved down their throats.

I sincerely hope this isnt the case.

M7ckNTX.jpg

Currently Gold costs 10$ a month if I'm not mistaken. So that's only going to add more value to Gold with the inclusion of gamepass.

It's not like they are combining the two and charging you double the price or anything.

.Pennywise

Banned
Xbox Live is so stupid as it is right now.

PC people don't pay an extra fee to play online the same games.

Android (xCloud) players don't pay an extra fee to play online the same games.

People who support the company by buying the console: pay and extra fee to play online.

The fuck!?

DaGwaphics

Currently Gold costs 10$ a month if I'm not mistaken. So that's only going to add more value to Gold with the inclusion of gamepass.

It's not like they are combining the two and charging you double the price or anything.

Keeping it 100%, it would absolutely equate to doubling the price. As does eliminating the yearly option and forcing the three month option.

DaGwaphics

Tbh. The above would stay in place until there was an official announcement. There's a lot of confusion about this online, they should just reiterate what their plans are in the way of online services for the next gen console.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's $5 a month.

And it's not like they are... doing anything...

All of this is rumors based on nothing lol

Last edited:
Gold is $10 month to month.

I'm guessing it might be a Trojan Horse. Basically with the new policy everyone with gold have access to gamepass. And through gamepass there's other ways that Microsoft can receive income from them. Like microtransactions or dlc. Essentially getting proper to play games on a GaaS model could get them to spend more in the future.

M16

Actual Gold subscribers is around 10 million. The 60 million number you hear is for active Xbox Live users.
your numbers are a decade old pal.
90 million xbox live monthly active users
they just got 10 million gamepass subscribers, and you guys still think they only have 10 million xbox live gold subscribers? LOL

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Gold is $10 month to month.
Huh.. never realized that.

So you can own Gamepass without Gold?

For some reason I thought GP came with Gold.. but I guess it's separate, and then $14.99 all combined? (and you get PC Gamepass)

$10 / month is such a ripoff lol.. guess I'm remembering the $60 / 12 month price.. but I don't think I ever paid more than $50 for a year of Live in the past.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I'm guessing it might be a Trojan Horse. Basically with the new policy everyone with gold have access to gamepass. And through gamepass there's other ways that Microsoft can receive income from them. Like microtransactions or dlc. Essentially getting proper to play games on a GaaS model could get them to spend more in the future.
Well that's what I was suggesting when this first got brought up.

- Cancel Xbox Live Gold
- Convert all existing Gold subs and their time remaining into Gamepass Ultimate subs for free (to get past the fact that people have pre-paid for something you are cancelling)

The goal being that once their "free" time runs out tons of people continue their Gamepass Ultimate memberships (or downgrade to Xbox Gamepass) after becoming used to having access.

But I still don't believe it. I think it's more likely MS is just trying to make more money off of XBL Gold members by removing the 12 month option.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Huh.. never realized that.

So you can own Gamepass without Gold?

For some reason I thought GP came with Gold.. but I guess it's separate, and then $14.99 all combined? (and you get PC Gamepass)

$10 / month is such a ripoff lol.. guess I'm remembering the $60 / 12 month price.. but I don't think I ever paid more than $50 for a year of Live in the past.

Gold always had a cheaper price if you bought a year vs month to month. So $60 was the price of you bought a year.

GP is $10
GP PC will be $10 (currently $5 for beta)
GPU has both plus gold for $15.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well that's what I was suggesting when this first got brought up.

- Cancel Xbox Live Gold
- Convert all existing Gold subs and their time remaining into Gamepass Ultimate subs for free (to get past the fact that people have pre-paid for something you are cancelling)

The goal being that once their "free" time runs out tons of people continue their Gamepass Ultimate memberships (or downgrade to Xbox Gamepass) after becoming used to having access.

But I still don't believe it. I think it's more likely MS is just trying to make more money off of XBL Gold members by removing the 12 month option.

This would be suicide to new comers. They get a game pass subs subscription then find out they gotta spend more to play something online. Kiss the GP subscription potential bye along with that person leaving the ecosystem.

Not saying that's not their thinking but that would be one of the biggest bone headed moves I've ever seen.

DavJay

Dream on. MS is not going to let people play for free when people are willing to pay. They are forcing you to get game pass to play online. I think..

Top Bottom