• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft CEO Nadella: "Our entire goal is to bring more options for gamers to be able to play, and for publishers to have more competition."

SSfox

So much talking but when it comes to games it's another story
QCITOtw.png

Last edited:
Yeah I think I actually prefer if Phil Spencer speaks. He actually knows something about this industry. Nadella doesn't know what he is talking about. I bet he's never even held an xbox controller in his life.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yeah cos they were backed into a corner. And originally it was just honouring existing contracts IE a few years.

By the way smart ass what about all the other games like starfield etc? You're talking about one game in about 10 ips they have bought and will no longer be multiplat after the current contracts end.

Nope. They weren’t backed into a corner. Don’t be dense. The CMA or FTC or EU haven’t begun to ask for concessions, so if this wasn’t the original plan, MS wouldn’t be saying this at this point. They’d have kept it in the back pocket.

They’ve been saying this since February. MS President has gone on record to say that COD would remain on PlayStation. Phil’s said this multiple times already.

By the way smart ass what about all the other games like starfield etc?

It’s not an uncommon thing for games to go exclusive after studio purchase. None of you raised an eyebrow for Hellblade or The Outer Worlds.

You're talking about one game in about 10 ips they have bought and will no longer be multiplat after the current contracts end.

Call of Duty will remain multiplatform after Sony’s current marketing deal ends.

Sony has onlhy recently been quiet, before they used to mouth off just as much as MS does now, and MS was the one that was quite outside occasional interviews wit Phil.

I believe MS is being so loud right now to keep interest in Xbox going by always being in the news cycle, while the black Friday deals are going on.

Ozriel

M$FT
So much talking but it comes to games it's another story
QCITOtw.png

Ah yes. Nadella should be making games in his spare time instead of answering questions from journalists about the largest tech acquisition ever.
Very wise.

I believe MS is being so loud right now to keep interest in Xbox going by always being in the news cycle, while the black Friday deals are going on.

To clarify, you think Nadella’s response to interview questions on the activision deal is designed to push the public to buy Series consoles this holiday ? 😀

Lol @ ‘news cycle’ like Phil and Nadella’s comments are aired on mainstream media.

TBH, he sounds much more interested in providing AI-driven programming and development models/systems for game developers through Azure cloud, rather than Xbox or even GamePass as customer-driven entertainment business products. Which is something I've been speculating on for a few months now: MS's real growth in gaming is through getting as many big & small game developers & publishers as clients for Azure services.

And to do that, they are leveraging their position in the industry as a platform holder, with Xbox and GamePass, to work game devs & pubs into establishing contracts to be Azure clientele. This is what the strategic partnership with Sega was about earlier this year. Getting Sega to become an Azure client was the #1 goal of that whole thing; GamePass getting a suite of Sega games thrown into the service and Xbox getting certain Sega/Atlus games it maybe otherwise would not have gotten (Soul Hackers 2, for example) are just the bonus. Whether MS got those benefits for Xbox & GamePass or not wasn't the concern, it was if Sega became an Azure client that was the major goal in that deal, and they got it.

None of this means that they're going to discontinue Xbox; it's just that, IMO, Xbox remains as a legacy device that Microsoft treats more like the way the Surface devices are. As in, as a device without its own specific ecosystem, but conforms to a larger, more generic ecosystem. That's where I see Microsoft taking Xbox; in many ways they have already started that transition. But if that's what it takes for them to get as many gaming clients for Azure as possible, to significantly boost their gaming revenue through acquisitions while not essentially bleeding Sony (or Nintendo) out of the market as platform holders (which actually significantly hurts Microsoft; Sony or Nintendo going under means significantly less devices for game devs & pubs to sell their product to, which could end up meaning reduced clientele for Microsoft Azure)..then yes, that's exactly what Microsoft will do.

They'll basically relegate Xbox to just another device in their family of computing devices, start selling them for a profit (similar to their Surface devices), open them up for full Windows functionality, completely phase out XBL Gold, phase out the Xbox Store (or just expand that to a general storefront for all non-dedicated gaming devices), bring all of their 1P content to Sony & Nintendo devices (which most likely can allow them to work out a means for GamePass on Sony & Nintendo devices as well), etc. That's more or less the future of Xbox as a brand IMHO, and they'll probably reach that reality by the time 10th-gen would normally start, if not sooner.

But again, that doesn't mean Xbox goes away; MS can do what Valve tried to do (and failed) with Steam Machines, and treat Xbox as a closed PC gaming box and semi-regular hardware refreshes aimed at a wider mass market. This is what I mean when I say they will turn Xbox into a more Surface-like device in terms of certain iterations, hardware scalability and functionality with general Windows (IIRC the Surface team were even involved in the creation of Series X and S!), just focused towards gaming specs-wise (whereas the Surface devices are focused towards business and productivity).

It'll be very interesting to see how this comes about and how long it takes, but I genuinely feel that's what MS will do with Xbox going forward, and what their goals with Azure in the gaming space actually are.

Lol @ ‘news cycle’ like Phil and Nadella’s comments are aired on mainstream media.

They are aired in Social Media which is also where Mainstream media goes because it's where a substantial amount of people get their news.

I also didn't say anything about Activision, you added that in, I said they keep putting XBOX in the NEWS CYCLE as the holiday deals are going on.

There is no other reason why they would be constantly doing interviews or going to outlets giving the usual PR each time if it wasn't for that purpose. Especially for Nadella who gains nothing from this because he's basically just repeating something we already heard, but made it more controversial by rewording his PR to cause the reactions we are seeing in news, in social media, and on message boards.

Xbox being in the news also gives outlets and websites (and ad platforms) reason to push Xbox commercials, ads, and marketing to take advantage of the fact Xbox is trending. So now along with this you also have Xbox deals trending, and every time Phil, Booty, Satya, or anyone else opens there mouth there's new deals or partnerships popping up around the same time every single time.

i don't think I'm too far out the ball park here.

Ozriel

M$FT
They'll basically relegate Xbox to just another device in their family of computing devices, start selling them for a profit (similar to their Surface devices), open them up for full Windows functionality, completely phase out XBL Gold, phase out the Xbox Store (or just expand that to a general storefront for all non-dedicated gaming devices), bring all of their 1P content to Sony & Nintendo devices (which most likely can allow them to work out a means for GamePass on Sony & Nintendo devices as well), etc. That's more or less the future of Xbox as a brand IMHO, and they'll probably reach that reality by the time 10th-gen would normally start, if not sooner.

But again, that doesn't mean Xbox goes away; MS can do what Valve tried to do (and failed) with Steam Machines, and treat Xbox as a closed PC gaming box and semi-regular hardware refreshes aimed at a wider mass market. This is what I mean when I say they will turn Xbox into a more Surface-like device in terms of certain iterations, hardware scalability and functionality with general Windows (IIRC the Surface team were even involved in the creation of Series X and S!), just focused towards gaming specs-wise (whereas the Surface devices are focused towards business and productivity).

I’ll tell you for free: None of this will happen.

They aren’t going to make Xbox a windows box. It’ll continue to sell with the console model. They aren’t going to become a third party developer.

This is just extremely implausible conjecture.

Ozriel

M$FT
They are aired in Social Media which is also where Mainstream media goes because it's where a substantial amount of people get their news.

People do not buy game consoles or software because a CEO was in the news.

I also didn't say anything about Activision, you added that in, I said they keep putting XBOX in the NEWS CYCLE as the holiday deals are going on.

There is no other reason why they would be constantly doing interviews or going to outlets giving the usual PR each time if it wasn't for that purpose. Especially for Nadella who gains nothing from this because he's basically just repeating something we already heard, but made it more controversial by rewording his PR to cause the reactions we are seeing in news, in social media, and on message boards.

The Activision acquisition is the biggest tech deal ever. It’s of significant interest to business news, and CNBC is interviewing Nadella for that purpose. Nothing strange about that.

Spencer makes himself available for commentary. It’s not a bad thing, either, and the number of interviews are overstated. Half the time, we get up to 5 threads here from the content of just one interview. At last count, we had three from the recent interview with TheVerge.

They don’t need CEO interviews to sell consoles. There’s adverts for that.

Xbox being in the news also gives outlets and websites (and ad platforms) reason to push Xbox commercials, ads, and marketing to take advantage of the fact Xbox is trending. So now along with this you also have Xbox deals trending, and every time Phil, Booty, Satya, or anyone else opens there mouth there's new deals or partnerships popping up around the same time every single time.

That’s not how it works. Either MS pays for ad spots or retailers heavily advertise discounts designed to bring purchasers to their websites. Target for one is heavily advertising the $249 Series S holiday deal. They certainly didn’t need a Spencer interview to kick off their ad campaign.

People do not buy game consoles or software because a CEO was in the news.

Don't be disingenuous you know exactly what I said and what i wrote.

That’s not how it works. Either MS pays for ad spots

Ad platforms change ads based on what trackers know you saw or your interests, you know this so pretending you don't doesn't make sense here. This also happens on social media platforms, or sponsored news posts.

Flutta

Banned
How does buying Bethesda and having them cancel work on the PS versions of Starfield (which Beth themselves said was well under way) give MORE options for gamers? That’s a flat out lie.

Makes me wonder how truthful they are being about the long term future of Gamepass or it’s intent.

That’s the biggest key here. Just added a bit 😅.
If a company has a history of deception and lies can you really blame people for doubting anything they do or say? Of course not, that’s called common sense but is now labeled as ”console warring”.
bitch pls….

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
If a company have a history of deception and lies can you really blame people for doubting anything they do or say? Of course not, that’s called common sense but is now labled as ”console warring”.
bitch pls….

I suspect the labels come from folks familiar with your xbox related posts.

I think it’s been clarified more than enough times that COD will remain Multiplatform. Emphatically so.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Another day, another hypocrisies statement from Microsoft/Xbox guys, not Phil today for once but the day is not over.

So, if you want to "bring more options for GAMERS", why are you buying in mass in order to make all your titles exclusive to Xbox ?

Just say you believe in exclusives instead of lying.

sexy the walking dead GIF

Last edited:

zzill3

Banned
Another day, another hypocrisies statement from Microsoft/Xbox guys, not Phil today for once but the day is not over.

So, if you want to "bring more options for GAMERS", why are you buying in mass in order to make all your titles exclusive to Xbox ?

Just say you believe in exclusives instead of lying.

sexy the walking dead GIF
Not exclusive to xbox, they’re exclusive to the xbox ecosystem.

Right now, you can play ABK games on playstation, xbox and gaming PCs.
After this, you can play on xbox, gaming PC, and any device with an internet browser - your phone, tablet, non-gaming laptops & PCs, even Samsung TVs that have the xcloud app.

Far more options for people to play games when all the games are on game pass and xcloud.

zzill3

Banned
How is that options for people who dont give a shit about those services?

Not giving a shit about the service doesn’t mean you can’t use it.
If you can get on gaf, you can play on xcloud, and ABK games post acquisition are available to you if you want them.

The number of internet connected devices with a browser far outstrips the number of playstation 4 and 5’s out there added together, hence more options for consumers.

Last edited:

pasterpl

If a company has a history of deception and lies can you really blame people for doubting anything they do or say? Of course not, that’s called common sense but is now labeled as ”console warring”.
bitch pls….
Just like Sony with multiple pricing cartel acquisitions and fines to name few. I could never trust company like this. All stuff they say is pure garbage. They are all criminals at Sony. ….Am I doing this right?

SLB1904

Banned
If you can get on gaf, you can play on xcloud, and ABK games post acquisition are available to you if you want them.

The number of internet connected devices with a browser far outstrips the number of playstation 4 and 5’s out there added together, hence more options for consumers.
Lmfao this dude is serious 😂

Flutta

Banned
I suspect the labels come from folks familiar with your xbox related posts.

I think it’s been clarified more than enough times that COD will remain Multiplatform. Emphatically so.
Lol. Those ”folks” your talking about are fanboys themselves. Ofcourse they won’t like what i say, doesn’t automatically means it’s warring.

There’s a reason why it’s been
”clarified” multiple times that’s because they’ve been lying before with the Bethesda acquisition. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Flutta

Banned
Just like Sony with multiple pricing cartel acquisitions and fines to name few. I could never trust company like this. All stuff they say is pure garbage. They are all criminals at Sony. ….Am I doing this right?

Lmao, i mean i’m not your dad. You can believe what you want to believe kid. 🤣

dotnotbot

Wider availability but inferior quality over native Playstation version. And first and foremost, streaming "traditional" games to your phone is nowhere near as popular as playing them on a home console. So the fact that there is so many phones in hands of billions of people doesn't mean they want to play those games on mobile phones, hence it's only an illusion of a better availability until streaming becomes mainstream. Will Microsoft make that happen? Maybe they will or maybe not. But until then, you can't call an "option" something that people potentially don't want to use.

The fact that mobile games like Fruit ninja or Candy crush are so popular on mobile doesn't mean that the same people would play "heavy" title like Starfield on a phone.

Last edited:

Xcloud might be semi decent for some games and it's still not ideal yet, but as a playstation owner if cod does eventually go exclusive it definitely wouldn't be ideal playing a twitch shooter through a browser so tell me what are my options then ? .

zzill3

Banned
Xcloud might be semi decent for some games and it's still not ideal yet, but as a playstation owner if cod does eventually go exclusive it definitely wouldn't be ideal playing a twitch shooter through a browser so tell me what are my options then ? .
Xcloud is your option. The option not being ideal for you doesn’t mean it’s not available.

If ABK games mean that much to you, you could just buy an xbox? The series S is the cheapest current gen console and regularly has discounts below MSRP so it won’t even set you back that much

Xcloud is your option. The option not being ideal for you doesn’t mean it’s not available.

If ABK games mean that much to you, you could just buy an xbox? The series S is the cheapest current gen console and regularly has discounts below MSRP so it won’t even set you back that much
Xcloud isn't an ideal option for twitch shooters for anyone , if they buy abk that's ok but don't turn around saying your doing it to give people more options to play when the option for people outside of the Xbox ecosystem is far inferior than playing through a console .

Xcloud isn't an ideal option for twitch shooters for anyone , if they buy abk that's ok but don't turn around saying your doing it to give people more options to play when the option for people outside of the Xbox ecosystem is far inferior than playing through a console .
It's more options to people who don't have consoles at all which outnumber people who do. MS games business is bigger than just consoles. Also MS plans on putting games like CoD on Switch as well and that is also giving more people options to play. I don't think there is anything wrong with the statement.

Markio128

It's more options to people who don't have consoles at all which outnumber people who do. MS games business is bigger than just consoles. Also MS plans on putting games like CoD on Switch as well and that is also giving more people options to play. I don't think there is anything wrong with the statement.
I think you’re missing the point. Taking games away from PS is giving gamers less options, not more. Full stop.

Top Bottom