• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft calls for Xbox drifting lawsuit to be taken out of court

Bryank75

Banned
The suit alleges that the drifting issues are caused by a design flaw in Xbox controllers, which it claims Microsoft is aware of and failed to disclose to customers.

In October, an amended complaint was filed, adding an additional seven plaintiffs and demanding a jury trial to address the allegations against Microsoft.

Now a new motion by Microsoft has called on the Washington Court to compel arbitration, which the corporation argues is in accordance with the Services Agreement the plaintiffs agreed to when they purchased their Xbox controllers.

The case really highlights the dangers of moving gaming from products to services and the related agreements, allowing corporations to circumvent consumer rights.

tichamac

Banned
Now a new motion by Microsoft has called on the Washington Court to compel arbitration, which the corporation argues is in accordance with the Services Agreement the plaintiffs agreed to when they purchased their Xbox controllers.
Terms of service don't supersede the US constitution.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Just to show to see, that normal customers of MS, are not like Sony, Nintendo Simps. Because their products are always perfect, even if they are not. Imagine buying Switch Lite or private jet of the name of PS4.

Anyway.

Also not sure what is this entails for people, is that wrong to get to court when they were sued, class action lawsuit is settle in court, is it not?
Somebody please explain. And also MS obviously should get fucked for this, when they are selling 180 USD controller with 90 days of warranty. Fuck them. At least glorious EU, demands 2 years.

Oh taken out of the court, they can do that?! Scummy...

Last edited:

Kenpachii

From what i read every single controller has drift as every console owner from nintendo / sony / microsoft complains about it. is it even possible technology wise to not have it?

theclaw135

Banned
From what i read every single controller has drift as every console owner from nintendo / sony / microsoft complains about it. is it even possible technology wise to not have it?

I haven't really looked into old systems. Did the Saturn or Dreamcast have drift?
N64's analog stick degrades differently from modern kinds.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's definitely odd that aggressive repetitive motions with a small piece of plastic as part of a complicated device utilizing many small intricate pieces may result in malfunction over time.

Trimesh

Banned
I haven't really looked into old systems. Did the Saturn or Dreamcast have drift?
N64's analog stick degrades differently from modern kinds.
I'm sure some of them broke, but there is no actual wear mechanism in the joysticks for the Saturn 3D pad and the Dreamcast - they use a non-contact system based on magnets and hall sensors.

Skifi28

It's definitely odd that aggressive repetitive motions with a small piece of plastic as part of a complicated device utilizing many small intricate pieces may result in malfunction over time.

It's so odd that I find it impossible for such usage to be taken into account during the design face. When designing controllers, it's always safe to assume that the end user won't be planning on playing any games on them.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I am sure they could engineer it if you got rid of the R3 and L3 that cause so many issues. Start with out the clicks and I don't see why it would not be possible.

Concern

the joker applause GIF

Not surprised who the op and first two posts are from. Concern trolling from the usual individuals lol.

OT: Shitty move but at least there's even a lawsuit. Other fanboys allow corporations to screw them over left and right. Dualshock 4 with its shit quality or Switch lite drifting for example.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I've played waaaaaay too much Fortnite... honestly an embarrassing amount. That game is HARD on controllers because you're frequently using every button on the controller in tense situations and I've gone through 6 or 7 DS4s.

Every single DS4 gets a right stick drift issue after 6 or so months.

R3 is my switch to build button.

Hoping MS and Sony have this ironed out for SX + PS5 controllers.

Banned
I am sure they could engineer it if you got rid of the R3 and L3 that cause so many issues. Start with out the clicks and I don't see why it would not be possible.

that would basically necessitate peddles on the back to replace them.
and the general public doesn't like change... I would prefer a third shouldee button or peddle instead of those buttons, but who knows how the mainstream would think about this.

a third shoulder button that is place where you normally have your middle finger would be perfect, but I found basically every peddle controller I've used so far to be absolutely annoying when it comes to the placement of them and the shape.

quest

Not Banned from OT
that would basically necessitate peddles on the back to replace them.
and the general public doesn't like change... I would prefer a third shouldee button or peddle instead of those buttons, but who knows how the mainstream would think about this.

a third shoulder button that is place where you normally have your middle finger would be perfect, but I found basically every peddle controller I've used so far to be absolutely annoying when it comes to the placement of them and the shape.
I would be fine with that also anything that gets rid of the horrible R3 and L3 clicks.

Banned
I would be fine with that also anything that gets rid of the horrible R3 and L3 clicks.

well R3 as a crouch button works really well for me in shooters, but yeah, an ergonomically well placed and shaped third shoulder button/grip button that you use with your middle finger would be better

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Since Nintendo wasn't able to get their drifting case dismissed, im assuming this will go to court and then, a settlement will be reached. It will be funny when every plaintiff wins $5 each. lmao. Their lawyers will get more money then they will.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
They can get omega fucked as i returned 4 elite v2 controllers that are faulty.

also 2 series x controllers.. because of driver issues in pc.
Srsly as much as i love the xbox one controller that came with the xbox one x..

the QC of it has been pretty bad.
thankfully MS can get fucked by europe laws 🤣🤌

theclaw135

Banned
Since Nintendo wasn't able to get their drifting case dismissed, im assuming this will go to court and then, a settlement will be reached. It will be funny when every plaintiff wins $5 each. lmao. Their lawyers will get more money then they will.

Settlements are overused lately. With tens of millions of units sold, methinks we deserve a final conclusion whether or not Nintendo was aware of the faulty design.

Codes 208

well R3 as a crouch button works really well for me in shooters, but yeah, an ergonomically well placed and shaped third shoulder button/grip button that you use with your middle finger would be better
R3 to crouch? For me it’s usually B or L3 as R3 is usually melee

Banned
R3 to crouch? For me it’s usually B or L3 as R3 is usually melee

r3 is slowly being adopted by more games as the standard crouch button, and I like it actually.
the first game I know of that did it was Battlefield Bad company way back in the day. nowadays Fortnite has it set on R3 as the standard for example

if you have no paddles on your controller and you want to have the crouch button ready at all times, R3 is perfect.
I nowadays use it in every shooter that lets me do it (it's sad that there are still shooters coming out that won't let you remap buttons)
can't let any of the sticks go while you're in a shootout, and you have to constantly dodge and weave during fights in games like Apex Legends.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

it's not even really a flaw in the normal sense.

all the controllers from xbox 360, xbox one, xbox series, ps3, ps4, ps5, switch pro all use alps analog switches. standard switch joycons uses a different module which have even worse drift issues.
they're a mechanical part so they of course they will wear down after usage. the only thing they could do is increase the deadzones or increase the spring tension, both which have a negative impact to the responsiveness of the controller.

4-Colors-Original-ALPS-Right-Left-Joystick-3D-Analog-Stick-Sensor-for-PS4-PS3-Xbox-one.jpg_Q90.jpg

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Settlements are overused lately. With tens of millions of units sold, methinks we deserve a final conclusion whether or not Nintendo was aware of the faulty design.
Perhaps but settlements are usually reached because going to trial, most people aren't going to vote in their favor so they just take the settlement which is what law firms are usually looking for anyway in these kinds of cases. They make a profit, people get a little money and that's pretty much it.

Maybe. It said 7 new plaintiffs were added to a group of "several".

Depending on what "several" means... We could be talking about 20 people about to make out like bandits. 🤣

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
People bind crouch to l3/r3?

I’ve always done melee as r3 jump as l3

cireza

Banned
It was before companies start designing shitty sticks in all of our controllers. You don't get drift on Dreamcast or on the original Xbox.

cormack12

Gold Member
It was before companies start designing shitty sticks in all of our controllers. You don't get drift on Dreamcast or on the original Xbox.

Yeah the joycons started it all off, then we have the xbox controller and dualsense having drift issues. Either the software is not great or the parts are cheap and nasty

Top Bottom