• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft are going to announce The Acquisition of SEGA next Wednesday (Believe!)

I wish MS could use their wallet to persuade Nintendo to let them release Breath Of The Wild on the series X. Imagine how amazing that game would look on a decent system (pls dont mention 'get a PC' as I really dislike PC gaming)

But I'd rather have Link's ReAwakening for my wife. She loves the Zelda games, but I think she'd struggle with BOTW

Njocky

Banned
I think we can put a fork in this. It wouldn't have made sense strategically for Microsoft anyway. They have Tango and that makes more sense in terms of acquisition.

lock2k

Banned

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is there a good Sega franchise with decent PC ports? (genuine question)

Sega owns Relic (Halo Wars, Company of Heroes, etc.), Amplitude (Endless Legend/Space), Football Manager, and Creative Assembly (Total War).

Bayonetta, Vanquish, Yakuza, Sonic Racing, all have excellent PC versions. They're actually one of the best PC publishers out there.

Last edited:
Its by their own hands that Banjo and Conker are forgotten and still aren't seeing the light of receiving their own games.
Sorry but I don't buy that idea at all. The fact that Rare wasn't much of a deal before don't justify them letting those franchises die. To believe in that its a very silly take.

You don't buy it because you simply don't want to, but it makes the most logical sense. The industry at the time was shifting away from 3D platformers being the marquee genre, although in terms of volume there were arguably more 3D platformers in 6th gen than 5th gen.

Also it's debatable to what degree it was on MS to not have a new true Banjo or Conker (how would a sequel to Conker have worked? The first game was a parody of the late '80s/'90s zeitgeist), and how much of that was down to Rare not wanting to do one. I think there's probably a bit on both ends to play into that.

Yeah, people are holding onto antiquated viewpoints when it comes to these kinds of business deals xD

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
tenor.gif

Batiman

Banned
I’m almost convinced at this point something is happening. Probably just a gamepass deal like the EA thing. As other publishers look to their own subscriptions, maybe sega will just hop on board gamepass with MS

Last edited:
I’m almost convinced at this point something is happening. Probably just a gamepass deal like the EA thing. As other publishers look to their own subscriptions, maybe sega will just hop on board games with MS
Sega already release yakuza games day 1 on gamepass, I'm not sure how much more "on board" they can be while being external.

Tarin02543

What we have to remember is that Sega was originally an American company in the beginning.

In 1940, Bromberg, Bromley, and family friend James Humpert formed Standard Games in Honolulu, Hawaii, to provide coin-operated amusement machines to military bases. In May 1945, Bromberg, Bromley, and Humpert established a second Hawaiian coin-op distributor called "California Games", and they subsequently dissolved Standard Games that August. California Games was likewise terminated the next year, after which the trio established "Service Games" to replace it on September 1, 1946.

Closer

I wish MS could use their wallet to persuade Nintendo to let them release Breath Of The Wild on the series X. Imagine how amazing that game would look on a decent system (pls dont mention 'get a PC' as I really dislike PC gaming)

It would look exactly the same. Have you seen Super Mario 64 on Switch?

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
You comparing a budding dev studio like Tango Gameworks to a household name like SEGA?
Don't care. Japanese company acquired by American company. Not impossible at all. Such a stupid myth.

Plus, Sega was born in Hawaii. They're like a foreign exchange student weaboo that developed roots in Japan and never left. lol

Zannegan

Cross your fingers that the 4K Switch Pro is real. =P

I don't understand the Sega purchase. Why Sega, aren't there other "better" studio they could buy? No offense to Sega. Also, they'd have to buy Sega Sammy Holdings. IDK if they'd be able to just purchase Sega. Buying Sega Sammy Holdings would also mean that they're inheriting a Pachinko business and amusement business. If it does go down, I'd imagine that the other parts of the business they don't want to keep would be liquidated or sold to someone else.

I don't understand the Sega purchase. Why Sega, aren't there other "better" studio they could buy? No offense to Sega. Also, they'd have to buy Sega Sammy Holdings. IDK if they'd be able to just purchase Sega. Buying Sega Sammy Holdings would also mean that they're inheriting a Pachinko business and amusement business. If it does go down, I'd imagine that the other parts of the business they don't want to keep would be liquidated or sold to someone else.

Probably not an outright acquisition, but I think it is hard to deny at this point that some kind of arrangement has been made. It could just be Sega catalog on Game Pass permanently.

thelastword

Banned
If MS acquires Sega tomorrow, Sony might as well give up.
I've heard several times when Sony should have given up, that "it was over for Sony", but here they are....>For some reason I think this will be the biggest generation for Sony bar none......These "it's over for Sony" type posts are such a precursor to overwhelming success for Sony, if history is a teacher......

Probably not an outright acquisition, but I think it is hard to deny at this point that some kind of arrangement has been made. It could just be Sega catalog on Game Pass permanently.
I could definitely see something like that. It would mean the least amount of work for Xbox. The least about of hassle as well. That controller sure was BLUE! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tschumi

At what point, if this happens, are even xbox fans going to think Microsoft is killing diversity in the game industry? I mean, any other time in history people would almost certainly be railing against this monopolising (EA, for example)

Top Bottom