• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announces free Xbox Series X cross-buy upgrades Smart Delivery.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Microsoft announced a new Xbox Series X feature, Smart Delivery, that sounds like a user-friendly way of supporting cross-generation Xbox One/Series X games. Smart Delivery “empowers you to buy a game once and know that — whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X — you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on,” said Microsoft.

The point of Smart Delivery is that users can “purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on.” In other words, if you buy Halo Infinite — which is coming to both the current- and next-gen consoles — the Xbox One in your bedroom will download the Xbox One version, while the Xbox Series X in your living room will download the Xbox Series X version. And of course, this also means that cross-generation first-party games will be cross-buy: You can buy a game once and play it on either console, and if you already own it on Xbox One, you’ll get the Xbox Series X version at no additional cost.

Smart Delivery will apply for all first-party games, and third-party developers and publishers can “choose to use [Smart Delivery] for titles that will be [released] on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.”

Update: Asked about whether Smart Delivery will be available for disc-based Xbox games as well as downloadable copies, a Microsoft representative told Polygon, “Physical discs of Xbox games can support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement the technology.” This suggests that a person who buys a physical copy of Halo Infinite on Xbox One would also be able to download the Xbox Series X version for free — assuming that Microsoft itself “decides to implement” Smart Delivery for these customers.

The spokesperson did not provide any clarification when asked whether Smart Delivery will apply for customers who have purchased the Windows PC versions of Xbox Play Anywhere games on Xbox One that get Xbox Series X upgrades, only saying, “We look forward to sharing more specifics in the future.”

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The thing that bothers me is the implementation part. This can easily be another "Play Anywhere" or "Smartglass" or "Fast Start" situation where it doesn't get major support from publishers. It should be a requirement if you launch cross gen games on Xbox.

Last edited:

vkbest

Update: Asked about whether Smart Delivery will be available for disc-based Xbox games as well as downloadable copies, a Microsoft representative told Polygon, “Physical discs of Xbox games can support Smart Delivery if the developer or publisher decides to implement the technology.” This suggests that a person who buys a physical copy of Halo Infinite on Xbox One would also be able to download the Xbox Series X version for free — assuming that Microsoft itself “decides to implement” Smart Delivery for these customers.

First XBOX can't read UHD Blu Ray, I wonder how they will do this with "UHD" Blu ray games from XSEX.

Anyway, this is marketing, we know MS games will be cross buy, but don't think every third parties will adopt this.

Last edited:

Stuart360

The thing that bothers me is the implementation part. This can easily be another "Play Anywhere" or "Smartglass" or "Fast Start" situation where it doesn't get major support from publishers. It should be a requirement if you launch cross gen games on Xbox.
Yep some will do it, some wont. CDPR have already announced that they will be doing it with Cyberpunk. The likes of EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Activision, 2k etc, probably not.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
First XBOX can't read UHD Blu Ray, I wonder how they will do this with "UHD" Blu ray games from XSEX.

Anyway, this is marketing, we know MS games will be cross buy, but don't think every third parties will adopt this.
Who says next gen Xbox games will come on UHD BDs? I am pretty sure that they will still be normal BDs. Gotta make it even more cumbersome to use physical games to entice digital sales.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
True, but it seems Ubisoft was also planning in following. So I guess if Ubisoft, Microsoft, probably Sony themselves too with their own games, and CD Project already want to do this now. Others will follow.

VertigoOA

Banned
This is the best news of next gen so far. Was hoping this would happen. Fortnite, Rainbow Six, Destiny 2 ... nearly even one of the top 10 most played games of the generation currently, will still be the most popular games on the market when next gen launches. No need to repurchase bullshit enhanced ports.

Like take the newly announced Outriders... it would makes less sense than ever that PS4 and XBone purchase of the game to not be shared across their ecosystems.

Cross-gen double releases are dead.

I doubt Sony will do this tho. I can see them repackaging Last of Us 2 for PS5... fuck em.

Last edited:
Doesn't the X already do this with enhanced titles?

I guess the big question will be how many publishers support it. If they are aiming to make a lot of cross gen games I can't see that many supporting this. I remember at the start of this gen there were a lot of bundle packs that included both versions of a game or "upgrade for $10" promotions.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Good, they need this, and speaking as someone who'll buy a PS5, I doubt Sony will do it. Far too much money to be made from TLOU2 Remastered in 2021, and the like.

JLB

Banned

probably limited to digital. In any case, how many games out there work from the shipped version on disc? day one patches are the norm nowadays, with the alight exception of nintendo. maybe.

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
I for one welcome the PS5. Sony is very brave to release a console that can finally compete directly with the Xbox One X. 🕊
When Xbox goes 6TF Playstation goes 9!
🧙🏻‍♂️<-Sony Wizard

Last edited:
Are these games made for a single platform that's backward and forward compatible? Or is it another scheme where a game needs to be recompiled to work with the bew hardware?

JAMMA

Last warning for console wars
Are these games made for a single platform that's backward and forward compatible? Or is it another scheme where a game needs to be recompiled to work with the bew hardware?

You really need rest. You’re going to make yourself sick if you continue this panicked mode until console release.

We’ll all be here tomorrow.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They had to do this since the 3X won't have exclusives for like a year or two.
You mean 1st aprty exlusives and at that point, who gives a fuck, it's not like their 1st is something amazing, aside from Forza Horizon.

ZywyPL

Banned
It was pretty much granted, no? Play Anywhere is a thing for how many years now? You buy a game and you can play it... anywhere, as the name suggests, be it XB1, X1X or PC, and as far as I'm concerned they aren't dropping the idea anytime soon, especially with backwards/future compatibility in mind. And they have been doing this kind of stuff already with X1X that downloads additional 4K assets, or boosts BC titles, so it's really nothing new here TBH. I personally didn't expect anything less from MS given how they already handle X1X support and their attitude in the recent years. Especially after they officially announced they will support Xbox One hardware for at least first year or two.

TheShocker

This is pretty awesome. I plan on keeping my X and S when I upgrade this fall. My son will use the X and my daughter will use the S. In theory, we would all be able to play off one copy of a game like Halo.

The Alien

Banned
Came here to read about a consumer friendly offering.

Yet also expected more than 50% of the responses to have some tiny reason of 'concern' to shit on it cuz Microsoft bad.

Oh GAF. 🥰

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Came here to read about a consumer friendly offering.

Yet also expected more than 50% of the responses to have some tiny reason of 'concern' to shit on it cuz Microsoft bad.

Oh GAF. 🥰
Completely agree. This is why they were saying games were cross gen for the first couple of years and people were saying that was bad. Now they have said how they are doing it, it very consumer friendly.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You mean 1st aprty exlusives and at that point, who gives a fuck, it's not like their 1st is something amazing, aside from Forza Horizon.

Please spare me the console warrioring.

I'm just saying that since the big first party exclusives won't be there, it makes a lot of sense to tell people that they're taken care of if they stay with their existing systems.

Essentially they're giving people a reason to delay their purchase at a time when they won't have the big flashy first parties like Sony will.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Please spare me the console warrioring.

I'm just saying that since the big first party exclusives won't be there, it makes a lot of sense to tell people that they're taken care of if they stay with their existing systems.

Essentially they're giving people a reason to delay their purchase at a time when they won't have the big flashy first parties like Sony will.
What "big flashy" exlusives Sony has with PS4? It was terrible box to own like a year after launch, I had Killzone: Shadow Fall which was great, inFamous: Second Son and then well, not much else. I've been in the begining with PS4 and I hope for PS5 there is going to be BC day 1 with zero hurdles. So you can actually play something.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Look this is just a fancy way of saying business as usual.

The fact that MS has already stated that there will be no SX exclusive titles for at least the first couple of years makes anything on that hardware functionally equivalent to upgrading from a One S to One X build. Which of course is something neither they, nor Sony have ever charged for.

Its just continuity.

Also, lets face it, most old games are going to get nothing more than a simple performance hike and res upscale because that's all you can do without heavily rewriting for the capabilities of the new platform (be it a mid gen refresh, or this new gen that supports legacy software).

Doing more work than that, and then not charging for it is simply unlikely to happen because that labor cost needs to covered somehow. Obviously its a whole different situation for a first party versus a third party dev, where in the first instance the platform holder can/will underwrite the costs based on expected ecosystem benefits, but generally...

VertigoOA

Banned
Vast majority of early new gen games are cross gen.

MGSV was cross gen and Fox Engine was still more capable than Decima.

These consoles aren’t going to have some secret sauce to drastically change how scalability works when all games are designed to run on PC of various capabilities to begin with.

Last edited:
Top Bottom