• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft announced the formation of an Age of Empires studio, headed by Shannon Loftis

CyberPanda

Banned
I don't recall MS even showing this during their press conference, and I didn't see it posted. Really strange! Anyway, I thought I would just share.

With the addition of Double Fine, there will be a total of 15 unique, standalone studios that comprise Xbox Game Studios, including our newly-created Age of Empires studio headed by Shannon Loftis and our Publishing group headed by Peter Wyse. We are committing more resources and dedicated leadership to the Age of Empires franchise to ensure that its legacy on PC continues in service of the passionate community of faithful fans.

Double Fine Productions Joins Xbox Game Studios - Xbox Wire

XGSFamilyHERO-hero.jpg

Reactions: TLZ

Dontero

Banned
Well if their goal is to have Age of Empires go to console then they can as well just shut down it already.
The whole point of RTS is to have nice control over your units which consoles can't do which means you either will have to ship effectively broken game or change game for consoles which means game will be shit for PC players.

FranXico

This is good. I find forming brand new studios much better than buying out third party studios. Should have been announced at XO19.

TLZ

Banned
Well if their goal is to have Age of Empires go to console then they can as well just shut down it already.
The whole point of RTS is to have nice control over your units which consoles can't do which means you either will have to ship effectively broken game or change game for consoles which means game will be shit for PC players.
Why not though? Adding keyboard and mouse support for consoles would solve it easily.

Dontero

Banned
Why not though? Adding keyboard and mouse support for consoles would solve it easily.

Would, but you still didn't solve anything for gamepad users which will be 99% of players.
That is like asking people who want to play racing games to buy wheel.

TLZ

Banned
Would, but you still didn't solve anything for gamepad users which will be 99% of players.
That is like asking people who want to play racing games to buy wheel.
Not really. The wheel costs 100s of dollars, while keyboard and mouse cost almost nothing.

But I know what you're trying to say.

This is going to suck hard. A formerly hardcore RTS game developed with a dude-bro Big Brother presence hanging over it with one eye on making it all console-friendly. No thanks.

Dontero

Banned
Not really. The wheel costs 100s of dollars, while keyboard and mouse cost almost nothing.

But I know what you're trying to say.

And how are they going to sit on floor with keyboard and mouse with their 50tv ? because that is how usually people play their console games.

Switching controls for completely different input is not an answer and won't ever be. Game needs to play well with default controler if not you shouldn't bother bringing it to system.

Top Bottom