• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Sega Form Strategic Partnership (Azure)

Exactly like Sega and Microsoft.

“We are very pleased to announce today that we are considering a strategic alliance with Microsoft to help develop SEGA’s new 'Super Game' initiative as well as build a next-generation game development environment. By considering a strategic partnership with Microsoft, we seek to further advance our game development so that our titles can be enjoyed by fans all over the world; in this regard, we aim to build an alliance that utilizes both SEGA’s powerful game development capabilities and Microsoft’s cutting-edge technology and development environment.”

Yakuza support of Game Pass? Yakuza already supports game pass. I think every Yakuza game is already on the service.
Differences are that Sega is pursuing that in full right now; Sony are still in talks/deliberations/planning stages. Also, Sony are a platform holder and their intent of partnership is clearly focused on backend services for PS+/PS Now leveraging Azure; Sega is a games software developer/publisher only and have similarly leverage Microsoft technologies in the past resulting in content specifically for Microsoft gaming platforms (e.g Dreamcast, OG Xbox funding leading to several Sega exclusives for that system, etc.).

So people speculating that this could also entail the possibility of new gaming content for Microsoft gaming platforms from Sega are not only within right to do so, but are speculating on a likely outcome given past historical precedent between the two companies. It's very different from the Microsoft/Sony agreement even if Azure factors into both.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Happy Wednesday Morning GIF

Topher

Gold Member
Differences are that Sega is pursuing that in full right now; Sony are still in talks/deliberations/planning stages. Also, Sony are a platform holder and their intent of partnership is clearly focused on backend services for PS+/PS Now leveraging Azure; Sega is a games software developer/publisher only and have similarly leverage Microsoft technologies in the past resulting in content specifically for Microsoft gaming platforms (e.g Dreamcast, OG Xbox funding leading to several Sega exclusives for that system, etc.).

So people speculating that this could also entail the possibility of new gaming content for Microsoft gaming platforms from Sega are not only within right to do so, but are speculating on a likely outcome given past historical precedent between the two companies. It's very different from the Microsoft/Sony agreement even if Azure factors into both.

The only thing Sega is "pursuing" is the consideration of a partnership with Microsoft. Exactly as Sony did. Sony updated us last year with news that their partnership was "deepening" so how would you know the status of their partnership beyond that?

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...osoft-is-deepening-following-cloud-tech-deal/

In both cases, you are making a lot of assumptions.

Little Chicken

Gold Member
So far Flight Sim has proven that the tech is there and it works flawlessly.

I wonder if SE are considering jumping on Azure for the next online FF.

The only thing Sega is "pursuing" is the consideration of a partnership with Microsoft. Exactly as Sony did. Sony updated us last year with news that their partnership was "deepening" so how would you know the status of their partnership beyond that?

https://www.videogameschronicle.com...osoft-is-deepening-following-cloud-tech-deal/

I did get a chance to look into some of the statements before and yes it does appear this is a statement of intent between the two companies, so I'll admit the gun was jumped a bit there. However the agreements of intent are still custom to each client as Sony have a different set of needs to be answered compared to a company such as Sega.

However there is still more in common here between the Microsoft/Sega partnership with the rumored KojiPro one versus say the Microsoft/Sony one, given the types of companies involved, their size and specific business segments to address. And I think, just speaking in terms of circumstantial other happenings between the two companies over the last few years, there is no where to rule out the possibility that this intent of partnership develops into a tangible working relationship insofar as Sega leveraging Azure technologies, nor does this invite easy dismissal that software content from Sega with funding/tech/etc. assistance from Microsoft as part of this agreement is possible, or would be unprecedented once a person considers prior partnerships between the two companies and the fact such content did in fact bear out from it.

That's actually moreso the part I'm scratching my head against: the folks who seem almost vehemently against the idea of this leading to new (potentially exclusive) gaming content from Sega on the Xbox ecosystem, as if it is impossible or a very slim chance of happening, when they've done just that in years past. And I'm just wanting to know the psychological reason some of those people are so staunchly against entertaining the idea.

If I had to put my guesses out, it's probably a combination in part or totality of: fear of Microsoft strengthening relations with Japanese game companies, fear of Microsoft acquiring more Japanese gaming content (particularly if it's exclusive), fear of Microsoft moneyhatting established brands like Persona or SMT away from PlayStation/Nintendo platforms (almost certain that would not happen), Microsoft purchasing/acquiring Sega (even if that were to happen, it's many years away and nothing in the statement suggests that. However, some people are still clingy to the idea it's "impossible" for a non-Japanese company to purchase a Japanese company when it's in fact happened a decent number of times over the years. Microsoft even acquired Tango recently who are a Japanese developer, and it was in actuality the EU who provided the most hold-up over the Zenimax acquisition, not Japan).

Sega acquisition is unlikely, but reviving old Sega IPs as Xbox/PC exclusives might be what Microsoft is aiming for

Speaking of classic JRPGs, I should play this and Legend of Dragoon at some point in the near future. Skies seems the more intriguing of the two though so I aught to play that first...

...though they'll both have to wait until I finish Panzer Dragoon Saga :)

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
You do understand that Sarah Bond is simply the closest contact between Microsoft and Sega, which means that she likely worked on mediating this? I understand that you likely don't understand how companies work, but it should be pretty obvious. Sarah Bond's own comment doesn't make a single hint to Xbox, Game Pass, or anything of the sort. It's all about Sega and Azure.

This is about Sega developing games, and acquiring tools to do so from a company that sells them (and has been selling them to a large bunch of people, as mentioned by Satya Nadella three days ago).

Again, why do I even bother... 😂
we know that you are angry....in fact don't bother to spin it to make it look in a way that "hurt less" or is less exciting.
it's so boring over the years to see ... always the same people downplay with presumed superiority of knowing something more or understand things more about anything related to Microsoft or Xbox ... and it's even more ridiculous that you waste time doing it seen over the years it has become evident that you don't give a damn about anything Microsoft does with Xbox

war never change
ps. on topic: this is about games not about some techshow for azure like was (that shitty) crackdown ...and we know that also flight simulator is using azure ;) can't wait to know more about it

Last edited:
I totally forgot a Sega owned developer, Relic Entertainment, worked on Age of Empires IV. And people were saying it had nothing at all to do with Xbox. Jez is as hooked into Xbox as it gets, and he seems to be implying otherwise.

MonarchJT

Banned

there is nothing similar between this and what Sony did with Ms. Like zero ..lol

cireza

Banned
There has been plenty of evidence in recent years of how SEGA and Microsoft have been building a strong and trusted relationship.
- great support of Xbox BC from SEGA
- Halo Wars 2 given to a SEGA studio
- All Yakuza games coming to GamePass
- PSO2 and PSO2NG existing in the West because MS stepped in offering Azure infrastructure and services
- Age of Empires IV given to a SEGA studio
- and now, MS offering Azure services to help build and develop future projects at SEGA

It is written all over the place that both companies have been working together with success. This is simply another step confirming it, and of course, it will lead to SEGA content on Xbox and PC (and you will take note that this does NOT imply less content on other platforms). This is common sense.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
Zero, huh? You mean they are not both exploring a partnership to use Microsoft's Azure cloud tech?

200.gif
Sony is basically having access to azure server from Ms ..and they are probably giving back to Ms something where they are experts or technology in the field of image sensors.

"As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences."

in fact in 2020 we have this :

"Sony to use Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in new smart camera sensors."

Now I'll give you an hint to the only thing that Sega can give in this mid/long term collab back to Ms. Games.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
I did get a chance to look into some of the statements before and yes it does appear this is a statement of intent between the two companies, so I'll admit the gun was jumped a bit there. However the agreements of intent are still custom to each client as Sony have a different set of needs to be answered compared to a company such as Sega.

However there is still more in common here between the Microsoft/Sega partnership with the rumored KojiPro one versus say the Microsoft/Sony one, given the types of companies involved, their size and specific business segments to address. And I think, just speaking in terms of circumstantial other happenings between the two companies over the last few years, there is no where to rule out the possibility that this intent of partnership develops into a tangible working relationship insofar as Sega leveraging Azure technologies, nor does this invite easy dismissal that software content from Sega with funding/tech/etc. assistance from Microsoft as part of this agreement is possible, or would be unprecedented once a person considers prior partnerships between the two companies and the fact such content did in fact bear out from it.

That's actually moreso the part I'm scratching my head against: the folks who seem almost vehemently against the idea of this leading to new (potentially exclusive) gaming content from Sega on the Xbox ecosystem, as if it is impossible or a very slim chance of happening, when they've done just that in years past. And I'm just wanting to know the psychological reason some of those people are so staunchly against entertaining the idea.

If I had to put my guesses out, it's probably a combination in part or totality of: fear of Microsoft strengthening relations with Japanese game companies, fear of Microsoft acquiring more Japanese gaming content (particularly if it's exclusive), fear of Microsoft moneyhatting established brands like Persona or SMT away from PlayStation/Nintendo platforms (almost certain that would not happen), Microsoft purchasing/acquiring Sega (even if that were to happen, it's many years away and nothing in the statement suggests that. However, some people are still clingy to the idea it's "impossible" for a non-Japanese company to purchase a Japanese company when it's in fact happened a decent number of times over the years. Microsoft even acquired Tango recently who are a Japanese developer, and it was in actuality the EU who provided the most hold-up over the Zenimax acquisition, not Japan).

Speaking of classic JRPGs, I should play this and Legend of Dragoon at some point in the near future. Skies seems the more intriguing of the two though so I aught to play that first...

...though they'll both have to wait until I finish Panzer Dragoon Saga :)

Nobody is fearing anything. Oh please. MS has tried to best Sony at Japanese games since the 360. It always amounted to nothing. There’s nothing to fear when PlayStation has always gotten Japanese games by default. It’s MS who has to keep taking trips to Japan to try and get games.

There’s a whole lot of assumptions and speculation in your post. You want to know the difference with what you guys are posting compared to the people who are saying exactly what this is? Our information comes directly from the announcement. Leaving no need to speculate and overhype everything little thing leading to disappointment. Which is typical of the Xbox fanbase.

MonarchJT

Banned
Nobody is fearing anything. Oh please. MS has tried to best Sony at Japanese games since the 360. It always amounted to nothing. There’s nothing to fear when PlayStation has always gotten Japanese games by default. It’s MS who has to keep taking trips to Japan to try and get games.

There’s a whole lot of assumptions and speculation in your post. You want to know the difference with what you guys are posting compared to the people who are saying exactly what this is? Our information comes directly from the announcement. Leaving no need to speculate and overhype everything little thing leading to disappointment. Which is typical of the Xbox fanbase.
I'll save this post. i have the feeling that will age very badly

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Sony is basically having access to azure server from Ms ..and they are probably giving back to Ms something where they are experts or technology in the field of image sensors.

"As part of the memorandum of understanding, Sony and Microsoft will also explore collaboration in the areas of semiconductors and AI. For semiconductors, this includes potential joint development of new intelligent image sensor solutions. By integrating Sony’s cutting-edge image sensors with Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in a hybrid manner across cloud and edge, as well as solutions that leverage Sony’s semiconductors and Microsoft cloud technology, the companies aim to provide enhanced capabilities for enterprise customers. In terms of AI, the parties will explore incorporation of Microsoft’s advanced AI platform and tools in Sony consumer products, to provide highly intuitive and user-friendly AI experiences."

in fact in 2020 we have this :

"Sony to use Microsoft’s Azure AI technology in new smart camera sensors."

Now I'll give you an hint to the only thing that Sega can give in this mid/long term collab back to Ms. Games.

You mean besides money? But suddenly you are showing similarities for something you said had none? lol....ok. There very well may be arrangements between Sega and Microsoft that they have decided not to share but that is just supposition at this point.

SirTerry-T

Okay now I need that! No MMO, just single player and co-op. The original characters and designs, the modern audience will cry but they don’t know what the IP is anyway so who cares. Dragon mounts. UE5. Do it SEGA! ⭐
Oh God yeah, full on Frank Frazetta inspired high fantasy just like the original games, none of that gritty "Beast Riders" crap they tried and failed with back in the XB360 days

MonarchJT

Banned
You mean besides money? But suddenly you are showing similarities for something you said had none? lol....ok. There very well may be arrangements between Sega and Microsoft that they have decided not to share but that is just supposition at this point.
when you using a tech ..and you paying for it....you don't have PR announcement of collaboration. But you will see in the credits a logo that you are using that tech as it already happens in hundreds of video games.especially when Sega does nothing but produce video games . Have you an idea of how many videogame studios are using azure in a way or another ? This is a collaboration and it is almost obvious what are Ms interests from Sega , it would be really naïve not to figure it out on your own.

Last edited:

chonga

Curious as to why Sarah Bond is involved in this? Seems outside her purview of Xbox specifically.
She's been pushed publicly because she is a female in places you wouldn't normally expect a person with those responsibilities to turn up, so I forgive you for assuming what her purview is, but read this article if you want to know why it is exactly in her purview.

Guess I'm an Xbox fanboy again, guess I redeemed myself after being critical of GamePass and Xbox's non-commitment to VR the week or so prior. Hallelujah!

Or...maybe I'm not dumb enough to shut out a possibility of further content that could be specifically curated for the Xbox ecosystem by Sega pursuing such a partnership (considering prior statements MS have already made WRT wanting to expand their presence in Japanese/Asian markets and getting more content for their ecosystem from Japanese devs/pubs) nearly as vehemently as a few other posters seem quick to? Yeah, I think that's more of what's at play here.

It's funny because we've been had plenty of people take other companies making minority investments in publishing firms and assuming that said investments must certainly mean new exclusives for those particular platforms, even if such investments don't have too much historical precedent to play off of, but I doubt yourself or certain other posters were trying to downplay that speculation when news helping those ideas flourish got around...nor should you have. But you're very keen to do so here, I wonder if one of the companies involved here is a factor into that in any way?

I even said that I jumped the gun a tad on thinking this was a full-on thing i.e Sega already committing to active dev with Azure tech, but I'm also not in here saying potential gaming content exclusive to Xbox ecosystem from Sega via cofunding/codevelopment opportunities arising from this Azure partnership is an impossibility or would be some freakishly unprecedented event the way some other posters are trying to frame it as.

As, again, it's not like it would be the first time between Sega and Microsoft. But some posters seem awfully quick to de-emphasize any potential ties of Xbox or GamePass being benefactors of this partnership somewhere down the line, and I honestly do think part of that is because of, either in part of full, some of those fears I mentioned earlier (all of which are rather unfounded from a rational POV).

Of course none exhibiting those fears would admit to them, they probably don't even realize they have them. 'Tis the way, sometimes.

elliot5

She's been pushed publicly because she is a female in places you wouldn't normally expect a person with those responsibilities to turn up, so I forgive you for assuming what her purview is, but read this article if you want to know why it is exactly in her purview.

Yeah it's you know... her job..

unknown.png

Topher

Gold Member
when you using a tech ..and you paying for it....you don't have PR announcement of collaboration. But you will see in the credits a logo that you are using that tech as it already happens in hundreds of video games.especially when Sega does nothing but produce video games.. This is a collaboration and it is almost obvious what are Ms interests from Sega , it would be really naïve not to figure it out on your own.

Of course you have a PR announcement. It is great PR for both Sega's "super game" and for Microsoft's Azure. That doesn't mean no money is changing hands. If you believe that you there isn't anything else to say.

MonarchJT

Banned
Of course you have a PR announcement. It is great PR for both Sega's "super game" and for Microsoft's Azure. That doesn't mean no money is changing hands. If you believe that you there isn't anything else to say.
I'll tell you here and we can do a bet about it....the only thing that Ms is interested in this collaboration is game/s from Sega for their platform and gamepass ...a special treatment from the developers or very likely an exclusive treatment, which will never be so exclusive since collaborating with ms, unlike sony or ninty, would mean for Sega releasing the game on PC, console and cloud. You did read first here

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I'll tell you here and we can do a bet about it....the only thing that Ms is interested in this collaboration is game/s from Sega for their platform and gamepass ...a special treatment from the developers or very likely an exclusive treatment, which will never be so exclusive since collaborating with ms, unlike sony or ninty, would mean releasing the game on PC, console and cloud. You did read first here

There is nothing to bet on as we are never going to see the details of the arrangement between Sega and Microsoft just like we are never going to see the details of the arrangement with Sony and Microsoft. Azure is Microsoft's prime business. Gaming is not. Azure is the reason why Microsoft is still among the richest companies in the world and competing with Google and Amazon. You really think Microsoft is going to just give away Azure resources for some games from Sega? Really? I mean....ok, if you want to believe that then that's up to you.

MonarchJT

Banned
There is nothing to bet on as we are never going to see the details of the arrangement between Sega and Microsoft just like we are never going to see the details of the arrangement with Sony and Microsoft. Azure is Microsoft's prime business. Gaming is not. Azure is the reason why Microsoft is still among the richest companies in the world and competing with Google and Amazon. You really think Microsoft is going to just give away Azure resources for some games from Sega? Really? I mean....ok, if you want to believe that then that's up to you.
yes ...give access to azure (and probably also money to sega) for some games that highlight the platform, that incentivize access to gamepass (imagine an mmo or an GP exclusive online game where users are forced to keep paying the sub to play) and raises the MAU of azure . This is exactly what I think and very likely what going to happen.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
yes ...give access to azure (and probably also money to sega) for some games that highlight the platform, that incentivize access to gamepass (imagine an mmo or an GP exclusive online game where users are forced to keep paying the sub to play) and raises the MAU of azure . This is exactly what I think and very likely what going to happen.

Wait......you think Microsoft is going to hand over Azure resources and give Sega money as well?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

lol....ok, man. Believe what ya gotta believe....

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yea, because that really was lit, right?

Who knows, something failing doesn't mean they want try again. For all we know they feel this time they have it right and having a better online infrastructure can make it better or something. As in, BFV wasn't "lit" yet BF2042 exist...

So something not doing as well as a business thought, doesn't always 100% mean no sequel is happening.

ok so looking it up, it doesn't seem like Sega is upset over how it did, just the opposite

So who knows, maybe they like where this is going with Phantasy Star and they are currently making another online entry.

From what I see on Steam, its mostly positive so...who knows. I feel Sega might be just fine with how its doing and wants to continue to invest in that IP

zaanan

Banned
“We are pleased to announce today that we are considering”

When did “considering” something become worthy of an announcement?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Wonder what this mean in terms of what platforms sega wants to target.
With this being a partnership it means Microsoft are getting something out of it or have some kind of influence over sega.
Im guessing it will mean day1 sega gamea to gamepass but they will still be multiplatform.
My guess is the IP they weren’t planning on using again due to AAA risk has now just gotten blank cheques. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Sonic, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi and Streets of Rage etc would all make great “filler” GP content.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
My guess is the IP they weren’t planning on using again due to AAA risk has now just gotten blank cheques. Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, Sonic, Golden Axe, Virtua Fighter, Crazy Taxi and Streets of Rage etc would all make great “filler” GP content.
Those would not be "filler" imo, but are u quoting something, did they say that?

Swift_Star

Banned
Not always.

Look, all im saying is we dont know what this "partnership" entails.

Anyone claiming an absolute certainty on what this deal entails is factually incorrect unless they have some kind of insider information.
Yes, always. There's thing beyond being client in this news. But you do you.

Top Bottom