• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft and Activision Blizzard: The FTC could approve the acquisition in August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasto

Blizzard-and-Microsoft-Deal.png

The green light from the Federal Trade Commission for Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard could come next month. A few hours ago the Redmond giant confirmed that it had responded to the second request for sending documentation by the FTC and now the US government agency has 30 days to request further information, otherwise it will have to automatically approve the operation.

Consequently, the agreement between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard could materialize as early as August, with numerous IPs, including those of Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch and Crash Bandicoot, which would officially become part of the already rich verdecrociato catalog.

https://www.realmicentral.com/2022/...-could-approve-the-acquisition-in-august/amp/

Stuart360

Did anyone actually think this wouldnt happen? lol.

I kind of wished it would get denied though. Not my money though so.

BeardGawd

Banned
I think thw UK would be the only hold up at that point?

I'm drawing a blank why this would be investigated at all. The Switch sells gang busters without a single Call of Duty.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Consequently, the agreement between Microsoft and Activision Blizzard could materialize as early as August, with numerous IPs, including those of Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch and Crash Bandicoot, which would officially become part of the already rich verdecrociato catalog.
Get those games on Gamepass which is already the best deal in gaming

captain phillips GIF

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Given both Microsoft and Activision are American companies, why does Europe and China have anything to say about this?

Funny we still spitting out about monopoly when Sony, which is the market leader, could scrap up Bungie after being declined by Microsoft.

I wonder what impact it will have on world of Warcraft,if any at all.

Given both Microsoft and Activision are American companies, why does Europe and China have anything to say about this?

Funny we still spitting out about monopoly when Sony, which is the market leader, could scrap up Bungie after being declined by Microsoft.

I wonder what impact it will have on world of Warcraft,if any at all.

Because they're both multinational companies regardless of where the homebase is located.

Kagey K

Banned
We always new June '23 was a worst case scenario. It's likely to close much earlier than that once this is concluded.

Last edited:

intbal

rlDirpG.png
Hey, Microsoft. My personal attorney for a decade now runs the FTC. I was the one who got her the job.

hZcEuGG.png
That was very nice of you.

rlDirpG.png
Anyway, she thinks it sure would be swell if you invested heavily in my state's gaming industry.

hZcEuGG.png
Senator Schumer, are you threatening me?

rlDirpG.png
And she thinks you're probably not the right fit for Activision-Blizzard if you can't see the enormous opportunities here.

et cetera

The_Mike

Uh, yes you can. Just tie the monthly WoW sub into the Gamepass account. Allow people to link their Bnet and MS accounts, and it's simple.
Yeah but they wont.

They'd rather hold them separated and you will have to pay for each service.

ESO plus is not included in game pass, why would wow?
Because they're both multinational companies regardless of where the homebase is located.
I still fail to understand why some other trash zones has to decide what happens inside USA.

I don't remember anyone being called in every time big spender tescent decides to buy some shit even though they are the biggest fish.

Yeah but they wont.

They'd rather hold them separated and you will have to pay for each service.

ESO plus is not included in game pass, why would wow?

I still fail to understand why some other trash zones has to decide what happens inside USA.

I don't remember anyone being called in every time big spender tescent decides to buy some shit even though they are the biggest fish.

Because they can have far reaching repercussions.

If Tencent decides to make a $68 billion aquisition they'll need regulatory approval too.

Ozriel

M$FT
Do a search, more than a few people didn't think this would go through in the beginning.

As soon as they confirmed they’d keep COD multiplatform, the approval became a formality. Especially considering their position in the industry

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Just get it through and make gamepass even more the best deal in gaming...I'm stacked until mid 2025 and looking forward to playing some diablo and casual cod campaigns.

fermcr

Microsoft hasn't got the monopoly on the console gaming business. Why wouldn't this aquisition get approved?

I still think Microsoft are way overpaying for this deal. Activision/Blizzard aren't worth that much money.

The_Mike

Microsoft added all Riot Games characters that's worth over $400 onto Game Pass for PC and Mobile just by linking your account to Riot Games client.

riot-games-adds-to-xbox-game-pass.jpg
Have they already implemented it? Wouldn't it be at a later date?

They don't really advertise it as a benefit unless you know about it.

Edit: says its coming this winter.

But still, I would believe it more that wow would came to gamepass if eso plus was there, as its a type of game you can compare wow to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom