• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiraly

Or take a shot every time the usual Sony clique respond with gifs slapping hi-fives at each other without actually arguing anything.
See something you don't like or don't agree with? Accuse them of being a shill on Microsoft's payroll.

napoleon-dynamite-yes.gif

I didn't really want to start another thread so I'm jamming this here. Below is the growth YoY comparison for top 10 gaming companies from 2020-21. I find it utterly stupid when you at this level of competition and Sony being the standout opposition to ActiBliz, what well spent government money, yet again.

This idea that Sony are the market leader isn't factual in the wider gaming industry, if you focus on just consoles it's taking on water rapidly to sink that idea as well. Tencent are double their size, and every other gaming company is growing faster than Sony with 2-4 solid competitors rising. I'm a little curious if supply lines and tent pole games have pushed Sony's YoY growth from 2021-2022 further than this blip but we'll have to wait and see, comparatively speaking.'

Also have no idea why companies like Valve/Steam or Epic are not in these statistics? Any ideas why? I think Valve/Steam was like $10B 2020 and $8B for 2021, they shrunk, I guess leaving them well out of the top 10 growth gaming companies for this period. I assume similar is true for Epic?

Top-Game-Companies-by-Revenues-2020.png

Topher

Gold Member
I didn't really want to start another thread so I'm jamming this here. Below is the growth YoY comparison for top 10 gaming companies from 2020-21. I find it utterly stupid when you at this level of competition and Sony being the standout opposition to ActiBliz, what well spent government money, yet again.

This idea that Sony are the market leader isn't factual in the wider gaming industry, if you focus on just consoles it's taking on water rapidly to sink that idea as well. Tencent are double their size, and every other gaming company is growing faster than Sony with 2-4 solid competitors rising. I'm a little curious if supply lines and tent pole games have pushed Sony's YoY growth from 2021-2022 further than this blip but we'll have to wait and see, comparatively speaking.'

Also have no idea why companies like Valve/Steam or Epic are not in these statistics? Any ideas why? I think Valve/Steam was like $10B 2020 and $8B for 2021, they shrunk, I guess leaving them well out of the top 10 growth gaming companies for this period. I assume similar is true for Epic?

I believe Valve and Epic are probably left out because they are privately owned companies (or not publicly traded anyway) and are not required to report financials. So these numbers are probably based on hard numbers from publicly traded companies. That's my guess anyway.

As far as market leaders, I'm assuming that is being determined from the leading platform holder in gaming in overall revenue.

Last edited:
I believe Valve and Epic are probably left out because they are privately owned companies (or not publicly traded anyway) and are not required to report financials. So these numbers are probably based on hard numbers from publicly traded companies. That's my guess anyway.
That makes sense. Valve/Steam would probably fall aruond Google then I think, reckon PC gaming has been growing.

Topher

Gold Member
That makes sense. Valve/Steam would probably fall aruond Google then I think, reckon PC gaming has been growing.

Yeah, I could see that. Hard to put a finger on those numbers. I remember when I was trying to find numbers on Bethesda, which was also private, prior to their acquisition, I was seeing estimates all over the place.

Take a shot every time DarkMage619 DarkMage619 says ‘breaks the law’.

If you want to give your liver a good kicking, take a shot everytime SenjutsuSage SenjutsuSage makes a post with over 500 words in it.

passed out GIF by Party Down South
Enjoy your drinks because acquisitions shouldn't be decided by feelings. Excuse my preference for actual legal reasoning over pure nonsense for these type of transactions. 😁

Or take a shot every time the usual Sony clique respond with gifs slapping hi-fives at each other without actually arguing anything.
Diversity of thought is not appreciated in certain circles. Coming up with arguments outside of screaming 'shill' at a person is hard.

feynoob

Banned
Since you guys are starving for some news, here is a leak of the meeting between MS and Sony.
Proceed at your own discretion.
Some leaks from the Sony and MS deal:

Sony guaranteed Playstation Advantage for 10 years for AKB games. After 10 years, MS negotiates with Sony for parity on a case by case basis.
AKB titles day and date with PS Plus. Gamepass day and date too but 23 hours and 58 minutes after PS Plus.
Sony gets 50% reduction from market rate for AKB on PS plus and 50% of AKB DLC proceeds on Xbox.
All Xcloud button prompts to be replaced with Playstation button prompts.
Jim Ryan get first dibs on Phil's lunch. Jim eats first. Then Phil eats after Jim leaves the building. Phil cannot eat while Jim is in the building.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Is this accurate, Microsoft is only a third behind Sony? I thought they would be around double.

Interesting.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Enjoy your drinks because acquisitions shouldn't be decided by feelings. Excuse my preference for actual legal reasoning over pure nonsense for these type of transactions. 😁

Diversity of thought is not appreciated in certain circles. Coming up with arguments outside of screaming 'shill' at a person is hard.
Just trying to inject some levity in to proceedings ;) there’s only one circle I’m a part of:

Love-Circle.png

reksveks

Not sure the cause, they do highlight that they are only looking at public companies so maybe the thought process is that they aren't able to estimate the revenue of private companies to a good enough accuracy.

I havent actually seen their methodology of getting gaming revenue from public companies like Google/Apple.

HoofHearted

Busy. They are enjoying their recent hit sales.
Bugs Bunny Money GIF by Looney Tunes
Since Sony keeps noting and championing in their public communications that all of this this hoopla is "for the gamers" - you'd think any concessions being actively discussed would be for the good of the general public...

If what you posted earlier holds true... then clearly this is nothing more than a money grab all along.. gamers be damned...

Just sayin' 🤷‍♂️

feynoob

Banned
Since Sony keeps noting and championing in their public communications that all of this this hoopla is "for the gamers" - you'd think any concessions being actively discussed would be for the good of the general public...

If what you posted earlier holds true... then clearly this is nothing more than a money grab all along.. gamers be damned...

Just sayin' 🤷‍♂️
These companies dont really care about gamers. Its just PR to gain some pointers with their userbase.
They are afraid of losing their pocket line. Especially the boards of these companies, who get fat money from bonuses.

These companies dont really care about gamers. Its just PR to gain some pointers with their userbase.
They are afraid of losing their pocket line. Especially the boards of these companies, who get fat money from bonuses.
This is certainly true on a personal level. The companies aren't our friends. Still just because a company isn't a personal friend that doesn't stop them from offering good value and consumer friendly policies. Saving me money and respecting my time and investment is good enough.

feynoob

Banned
This is certainly true on a personal level. The companies aren't our friends. Still just because a company isn't a personal friend that doesn't stop them from offering good value and consumer friendly policies. Saving me money and respecting my time and investment is good enough.
No, companies don't care about you period.
You are the product. They want your money.
Whatever they offer you, is for them to make you spend more money.

It's called customer service, and giving you a good service experience.

Don't fall for these tricks.

kuncol02

Banned

Valve is not public company.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Just sayin' 🤷‍♂️
Sony is saying it's for the gamers because they don't want regulators to think their opposition is self-serving. Unless regulators are morons they're going to know that it's self-serving. But that's ok. They're trying to protect their position in the market.

feynoob

Banned
What risky game are they playing? I mean, it's not like they can do anything other than voice strong concerns with the acquisition.
Right now, they have a chance to get 10 years of Activision games.
If they keep ignoring that, and bet their odds on regulators, they might not get that chance again.

MS is ready for concessions. Sony refusal could work on their favor, and say "they tried to work with Sony, but Sony isn't interested working with us".

If they keep ignoring that, and bet their odds on regulators, they might not get that chance again.

MS is ready for concessions. Sony refusal could work on their favor, and say "they tried to work with Sony, but Sony isn't interested working with us".

How would it look to the regulators if MS offers 10 years and then backs out of that offer? Terrible, and may play into future acquisition discussions.

I think it's a case that whatever MS offers is what they will extend at a minimum going forward, and won't regress.

splattered

10 years of Activision games or 10 years of Call of Duty?

How would it look to the regulators if MS offers 10 years and then backs out of that offer? Terrible, and may play into future acquisition discussions.

I think it's a case that whatever MS offers is what they will extend at a minimum going forward, and won't regress.
It is not about MS backing out. It is Sony saying they NEED CoD to survive as a company and then turn their back on an offer of ten years to get the thing they say they need. It looks like they aren't really being serious and this is more about them trying to deceive regulators over the acquisition truly being an anti-trust violation of law. I'd say them playing up the fear of pricing going up shows how serious they are but this wouldn't help either.

feynoob

Banned
As long as MS rights that offer on the table, they will agree to it.
It was the main part of their concern.

I dont think MS would extend beyond this.
10 years is alot. More than that isn't guaranteed, due to the nature of gaming business.

For all we know, consoles might not exist after 10 years.

jm89

As long as MS rights that offer on the table, they will agree to it.
It was the main part of their concern.
Nobody knows what will be agreed on. We don't know the exact details of what ms is offering and if regulators will be happy with it, especially if regulators are looking at more at the possible future of gaming like cloud and subscription.

Topher

Gold Member

Well if there is a 10 year contract then there isn't any backing out. I'm still not sure what the purpose of the contract is though. Microsoft will give Sony 10 years of Call of Duty for what? For Sony to shut up and back the acquisition? Why would Sony do that? Phil Spencer has repeatedly publicly committed Call of Duty to PlayStation indefinitely. What is there to negotiate? Phil Spencer's integrity is already on the hook.

Well if there is a 10 year contract then there isn't any backing out. I'm still not sure what the purpose of the contract is though. Microsoft will give Sony 10 years of Call of Duty for what? For Sony to shut up and back the acquisition? Why would Sony do that? Phil Spencer has repeatedly publicly committed Call of Duty to PlayStation indefinitely. What is there to negotiate? Phil Spencer's integrity is already on the hook.

I think that's exactly what the contract would be - an acknowledgement from Sony that they are OK with the acquisition, which increases the likelihood of FTC approval.

But the reality is, there's no concession terms that make sense to Sony. If Microsoft gets Activision, that's going to hurt them significantly in terms of PS store revenue in the future, EVEN if CoD remains on their platform. It's in Sony's best interest to see this deal collapse.

Topher

Gold Member
I think that's exactly what the contract would be - an acknowledgement from Sony that they are OK with the acquisition, which increases the likelihood of FTC approval.

But the reality is, there's no concession terms that make sense to Sony. If Microsoft gets Activision, that's going to hurt them significantly in terms of PS store revenue in the future, EVEN if CoD remains on their platform. It's in Sony's best interest to see this deal collapse.

I agree. I don't see a scenario where Sony wouldn't fight this deal tooth and nail.

I agree. I don't see a scenario where Sony wouldn't fight this deal tooth and nail.
Then regulators should realize that Sony isn't arguing from a position of what is good for the industry as a whole or consumers either but their own personal interests. Regulators and Sony aren't looking for the same things and should be mindful of that if they are asking Sony for their input.

zzill3

Banned

The risk for Sony there, if the deal goes through without that signed agreement, MS could take COD away whenever they like (after the existing contract is up, that is)?

Would Sony risk having COD on PS be dependant on the whims of MS after 3 years rather than having a guaranteed 10 years with the option to renew?
Not saying Microsoft would, but if Sony don’t agree then they could at any point - right?

Topher

Gold Member
Then regulators should realize that Sony isn't arguing from a position of what is good for the industry as a whole or consumers either but their own personal interests. Regulators and Sony aren't looking for the same things and should be mindful of that if they are asking Sony for their input.

I'm pretty sure the regulators understand quite well that neither Sony or Microsoft are arguing from a position of what is good for the industry or consumers. They are both arguing from a position of what is good for their own multi-billion/trillion dollar corporations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom