• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Double Fine Productions | Publishing rights signed to Microsoft

Mista

Banned
fb5e2de4b6fd45f71a0045c70353c41b.jpg

Microsoft has acquired Double Fine Productions, the company announced during the Microsoft E3 2019 press conference.

Publisher Starbreeze announced that it has signed over all publishing rights to the game to Microsoft, which today announced its acquisition of Double Fine Productions. Here is the press release from Starbreeze:
Starbreeze acquired the publishing rights for Double Fine’s Psychonauts 2 in 2017 with a commitment to invest 8 MUSD for the development of the title.

As previously announced, Starbreeze will focus on its core business of games development and publishing.

“As we continue the work of securing long-term financing for Starbreeze, it’s extremely important that we find the best possible structure for the company in the long run. Although we see the Publishing unit as part of the core business, it is a cash intense business and requires continuous investments to enable the products to be launched successfully. We definitely want to continue being a best in class Publishing partner for external studios in the future, but our main focus right now is to secure the continued operations of the internal games development and self-publishing units”, said Mikael Nermark, acting Starbreeze CEO.

Last edited:

JoshieB

Neo Member
I'm kind of shocked this is the only acquisition announcement. Double Fine has some nice games, but I am not a fan of their new stuff.

Damn. I knew Double Fine has been struggling for a very long time but I never imagined they'd go back to Microsoft, which nearly bankrupt them by canceling the first Psychonauts IIRC I imagine this was born out of desperation, especially considering Starbreeze's recent troubles, who are (or were?) publishing Psychonauts 2.

HeresJohnny

Never to be heard from again lol. In all seriousness, it's a good get for MS, but I wonder how the Xbox crowd is going to react to DF's game output. It's a bit of an odd fit in that regard.

Fox Mulder

I assume Psychonauts 2 is still coming out everywhere like with Outer Worlds.

Nice for DF to just get back to making Schafer games without having to worry about kickstarting shit or scraping by for money.

bitbydeath

This studio would fit the bill for a studio that has had close ties with Sony as they made the PS4 (console exclusives) Lucas Arts remasters..

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
I'm wondering if Moon & MHDR don't want to sell out to Microsoft. Or they are about to and we'll find out at XO19.

I think it's only a matter of time more like Playground. They would then have the 2 best 2d platformer studios under their roof. Even if they already get the games exclusively.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

At 0:35 he puts John Romero, Hideo Kojima and Notch(even throwing a shade at him for being sellout) in 'No' and Miyamoto and CliffyB in 'Maybe'.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

0:00 - Intro
0:33 - Before Double Fine
2:38 - Psychonauts
8:25 - Brütal Legend
14:25 - Costume Quest
17:07 - Stacking
18:19 - Iron Brigade
20:27 - Once Upon a Monster
21:55 - Happy Action Theater
23:56 - Kinect Party
24:27 - The Cave
25:55 - Dropchord
27:54 - Broken Age
34:25 - Lucas Arts Remasters
40:24 - Headlander
41:38 - Rhombus of Ruin
42:42 - Rad
43:30 - Psychonauts 2
45:02 - Double Fine Presents
47:36 - Microsoft Aquistion
50:02 - Credits

Last edited:

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

Does not mention any PS5 version.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect anything other than what it was originally promised on. There'll probably be XSX/XSS versions, but after the initial deals have been made... Microsoft will take it back over in working more similarly as an exclusive.

Top Bottom