• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ‘wants its own Genshin Impact-like game’ for Xbox

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Avowed is based on Pillars of Eternity, an obsidian IP from 2015 so I'm not sure that counts. I was a kickstarter backer I guess I should get credit too? 😁
That's like saying Cyberpunk 2077 is based on Cyberpunk tabletop RPG and hence not a new IP.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Microsoft need to create something new for the industry instead of copying what Sony has.
A lot of there recent offerings(Sea of Theives, Flight Simulator, AoE 4) have nothing to do with their competition, neither are their upcoming titles which range Startegy games to wRPGs. Atleast there has not been much "copying" involved that justifies this concern trolling.

Redfall and Starfield were already in production way before MS got them. Anything Bethesda is not MS showing their creativity 🤣

Avowed is based on Pillars of Eternity, an obsidian IP from 2015 so I'm not sure that counts. I was a kickstarter backer I guess I should get credit too? 😁
Season 3 What GIF by On My Block

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Redfall and Starfield were already in production way before MS got them. Anything Bethesda is not MS showing their creativity 🤣

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Of course
Who doesn't?
As far as the suits are concerned they're just looking at the huge RoI. No further than that

Should have been the first post.

Last edited:

Banned
I feel like those who think this may ever come to Switch simply never played the game, or just don't know anything about tech. As you said the game is already a bit heavy for PS4, so for Switch... (but if they do a Cloud version that's another story)

the game ran on my old Galaxy S7... so which is faster the Tegra X1 inside the Switch or the Exynos 8890?

according to Wikipedia:

Exynos 8890: 265.2 GFLOPS
Switch Handheld Mode: 236 GFLOPS
Switch Docked: 393 GFLOPS

note that Android always had some overhead that the Switch's OS doesn't have and Mobile chips almost never stay at their top rated performance as thermal throttling is a constant issue with mobile SOCs that are in these passively cooled flat rectangles.
additionally Android is an open platform with hundreds of configurations while the Switch is a single piece of hardware with low level APIs available.

so Genshin should absolutely be doable on Switch.

Last edited:

SSfox

the game ran on my old Galaxy S7... so which is faster the Tegra X1 inside the Switch or the Exynos 8890?

according to Wikipedia:

Exynos 8890: 265.2 GFLOPS
Switch Handheld Mode: 236 GFLOPS
Switch Docked: 393 GFLOPS

note that Android always had some overhead that the Switch's OS doesn't have and Mobile chips almost never stay at their top rated performance as thermal throttling is a constant issue with mobile SOCs that are in these passively cooled flat rectangles.
additionally Android is an open platform with hundreds of configurations while the Switch is a single piece of hardware with low level APIs available.

so Genshin should absolutely be doable on Switch.
I would like to see that. Game already feels heavy for PS4, specially with the last contents, sometimes stuffs take some time to load on PS4.

If they really will make a Switch version, i expect something super awful that make the game downgraded to death ala TW3.

Banned
I would like to see that. Game already feels heavy for PS4, specially with the last contents, sometimes stuffs take some time to load on PS4.

If they really will make a Switch version, i expect something super awful that make the game downgraded to death ala TW3.

the ps4 version is trash, I mean they fucking ran the Pro version at near native 4k... and if you set it to 1080p it ran at 1080p but with bad framepacing all of a sudden 🤷

the PS5 version was pretty shit as well at first, only after a patch did it run as expected from the hardware.
and the unlocked the PS4 version at first for PS5, like the early PS5 support basically, that ran like shit as well!

don't forget that this runs on Unity... and we all know what to expect from Unity engine games.

but the Switch's close relationship with mobile hardware (being ARM based and all + supporting OpenGL and Vulkan) might make a Switch port relatively straightforward

edit: in fact I found this👇👇 running on a modded Switch with Android 10 installed

Last edited:

SSfox

the ps4 version is trash, I mean they fucking ran the Pro version at near native 4k... and if you set it to 1080p it ran at 1080p but with bad framepacing all of a sudden 🤷

the PS5 version was pretty shit as well at first, only after a patch did it run as expected from the hardware.
and the unlocked the PS4 version at first for PS5, like the early PS5 support basically, that ran like shit as well!
Heu the game looks awesome on PS4 graphics wise, it just has the loading stuffs thing, obvious as the game is very demanding when it comes to loading, but graphics are clean AF.

Banned
Heu the game looks awesome on PS4 graphics wise, it just has the loading stuffs thing, obvious as the game is very demanding when it comes to loading, but graphics are clean AF.

yeah but as you can see in the video I linked above, it runs on Switch by modding it and installing Android on it, which is a highly unoptimised way to run the game due to a multitude of reasons, yet it's already somewhat playable like this.

and honestly for a mobile game you'd expect better performance on PS4

Last edited:
Redfall, starfield, avowed, fable....none of these are anything like what sony is doing...
I said new games(these dont even have dates). You're proving my point by listing games like Starfield that were in development for playstation as well, before Microsoft paid to restrict access to playstation by buying the publisher.

That's not creating something new for the industry. Those games were already coming to Xbox, pc and ps5. They have the biggest piggy bank but take the least amount of risk in creating new IPs.

I said new games(these dont even have dates). You're proving my point by listing games like Starfield that were in development for playstation as well, before Microsoft paid to restrict access to playstation by buying the publisher.

That's not creating something new for the industry. Those games were already coming to Xbox, pc and ps5. They have the biggest piggy bank but take the least amount of risk in creating new IPs.
So a studio that MS owns, is making a game, but it doesn't count because...reasons? Silly.

LMFAO
You have to be some fat fuck living in moms basement to unironically think genshin is good. That game was always shit, one of my friends used to play it daily, then he woke up, saw what he was playing and went to a better game. To praise it like this is a joke

There are better games Xbox could ask for
I don’t appreciate you calling out the old fat fucks in here.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This thread took a turn I wasn't expecting......or rather it went exactly how I expected, just hoped GAF was finally beyond this shit.

You can interpret this as, "we too need a predatory gotcha that somehow sells on our console without damaging backlash."

What that would look like on Xbox, idk... probably isn't a waifu simulator.
Waifu simulator is a big part of F2P lootbox games. I am not sure what you could use to substitute for it.

Tams

Gold Member
Genshin is incredible and really took me by surprise, looks super great, incredible anime style art direction (my favorite with Dragon Quest), very innovative and one of the best combat system in the genre, and one of the best OST of all time.
The cooking is literally a copy of Breath of the Wild. The climbing might as well be the same. Hell, the art style too, just Genshin has boobs and, well, more boobs as the people who pay for it.

Aion002

LMFAO
You have to be some fat fuck living in moms basement to unironically think genshin is good. That game was always shit, one of my friends used to play it daily, then he woke up, saw what he was playing and went to a better game. To praise it like this is a joke

There are better games Xbox could ask for.

Unless you think that MS hates money...

Genshin made 3.7 billions usd in 2 years.

2.5 billions made outside of China

Average of 400 millions made per quarter.

I guess there's a lot of fat fucks living in their moms basements... With a lot of cash.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/gensh...m_medium=CopyLink&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Just like fast food or soda, you might hate it, but people just loves it and calling them tasteless fat fucks won't make your favorite food/drink more popular.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The cooking is literally a copy of Breath of the Wild. The climbing might as well be the same. Hell, the art style too, just Genshin has boobs and, well, more boobs as the people who pay for it.
The cooking?

The climbing is climb anything.

The artstyle isnt the same either unless all cell shader games look the same to you.
Genshin is much more anime than BOTW

Combat and RPG elements are completely different.

CeeJay

How about Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon, Flight Simulator, Age Of Empires to name just a few

The post you replied to was stating that most Xbox Studio games are not just following the numbers and copying anyone. Xbox has a way more diverse lineup than Sony or Nintendo for that matter. It's a good business plan to have variety and Microsoft have seen a gap in their lineup that they would like to fill. Sony are currently positioning to chase the GAAS trend and no one is suggesting they are creatively bankrupt for doing that are they?

Bernkastel

With a bunch of trans and ugly characters I bet .

Western dev could never make a gacha game even if their life depend on it.
The rumour is about Microsoft funding some Chinese studio in Shanghai to build a new anime MMORPG. But they will soon own Activision Shanghai amyway, so maybe that's what the rumour is about.

Swift_Star

Banned
They already have PSO2:NG. This franchise has always been on Xbox since the beginning. Also one of Activision's studios is in Shanghai.

The argument that Xbox users won't play these games is so wrong. Phantasy Star Universe on Xbox 360 had more users than PS2 and PC combined. Final Fantasy XI had a huge following on Xbox 360. Yakuza franchise got so many fans in Xbox.
every time a japanese (adjacent) game comes to gamepass and does well this excuse it always used. If persona 5 is doing well on gamepass so would genshin.
Animated GIF

The delusion is amazing LMFAO

Bernkastel

Animated GIF

The delusion is amazing LMFAO
What was the delusion in my post? Due to low activity the PC/PS2 servers of PSU were shut down in 2010.
And you said Xbox users will never care about a game like that.

So a studio that MS owns, is making a game, but it doesn't count because...reasons? Silly.
Ok, so since Sony bought Bungie, are we going to give Sony credit for building the spritual successor to Halo? Exactly! My point is Microsoft doesnt bring new games to the industry like Sony does, rather they buy exclusivity to existing 3rd party IPs. Like for example what this tweet alludes to what they wish to do, or you yourself even suggest they should do, given their past history.

Microsoft is just going after what ever content Sony provides. Let Genshin impact......be Genshin Impact. We have enough clone Tlou, Soulsborne, COD/BF and No man Sky games in development.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
If only it didn't have the terrible resin system
This is THE LEAST of its problems.

It's actually a GOOD thing, so you're not compelled to farm hours upon hours for artifact stats that will never drop.

Resin may be a symptom, but it's not the illness.

I really like the game but I'm at the point where I don't pull for new characters anymore because I can't stand these random artifact upgrades anymore.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Ok, so since Sony bought Bungie, are we going to give Sony credit for building the spritual successor to Halo? Exactly! My point is Microsoft doesnt bring new games to the industry like Sony does, rather they buy exclusivity to existing 3rd party IPs. Like for example what this tweet alludes to what they wish to do, or you yourself even suggest they should do, given their past history.

Microsoft is just going after what ever content Sony provides. Let Genshin impact......be Genshin Impact. We have enough clone Tlou, Soulsborne, COD/BF and No man Sky games in development.

Your posts in this thread so far have made no sense for a number of reasons ...

- Genshin is a third party game, Sony did not create it.
- What does bringing Redfall, Starfield even Bungie have to do with anything.
- Microsoft saw a successful chinese game that isn't on their platform and wants to do something similar and invest in chinese developers. How is that 'going after what ever content sony provides'

This was the least console-war news item and yet somehow you've successfully turned it into one with asinine comments.

Last edited:

Jinzo Prime

Xbox/Microsoft Gaming needs some serious shake-ups at the top if they want to achieve their ambitions.

Matt Booty and the rest are not sharp enough or connected enough to get it done.

Top Bottom