• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox Elite 2 controller arrives on November 4th for $179.99

No, you didn't. Nowhere did you justify buying a $179 controller.

can you post a link to this 179$ controller.. i cant find any on ms store.

All what i can find is a 179$ BUNDLE:
elite 2 controller + case + loadstation + usb c + accessories

elite 2 is cheaper then elite 1

elite 2 bundle = 179$

elite 1 bundle + loadstation+ AA batteries = 190$

when you buy good quality loadstation + good accu battery you pay ca. 40$. [i have buying both for my elite 1]

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'll be getting one for Christmas for sure. Working with scarlet sold me it will get years of use. Where everyone get there's Amazon looks like sold out and best buy is in store only so that is pure hit and miss.

Ulysses 31

I'll be getting one for Christmas for sure. Working with scarlet sold me it will get years of use. Where everyone get there's Amazon looks like sold out and best buy is in store only so that is pure hit and miss.
Don't trust to buy from M$ themselves via xbox.com? :lollipop_confounded: :lollipop_confounded: :lollipop_confounded:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
So somehow I didn't notice that the new ones panels on top are shorter than the original as well and not just the bottom.

Something felt off and figured out that was it. Maybe it's because I have smaller hands but those shorties on top just wasn't allowing me to grip the controller like I wanted.

Threw the og tops on and I'm in love with the combo. OG shorties on top and new shorties on bottom.

Absolutely yes.
you are not buying a naked controller for 180€
its a bundle

look:

180€

- 30€- load station

- 20€- case

- 20€- 40 hour accu battery [you cant buy any AA battery with 40 hour playtime]

-10€- 3m usb c cable

+ accessories

180-30-20-20-10= 100€

Scuf controller which is not better cost >150€

elite 2 is great value for the money
I know what the Elite Series 2 comes with, it's sitting in front of me. I love the thing so far.

It's still not a good deal though, it's a terrible deal. It's a $180 controller in a market that has $30 controllers. No specialty item is a good deal, it's part of being a specialty item, they are priced to offset R&D and manufacturing on a high-end limited volume product and still make a profit.

That doesn't mean I don't think it's worth $180 or that it's not priced accordingly, but being priced accordingly is not the same as being a good deal.

It's a $230 controller up here in Canada. I didn't hesitate to buy one because I've been excited about it for over a year and after using it for a couple days I have no regrets yet. But random people will see it in a store next to $60 and even $30 controllers and then see the console on the shelf below it has a $250 CDN price including a controller. Those people sure won't think it's a good deal. They won't care that it comes in a case or has a fancy cord. They'll look at the price, say "my wife will kick my balls straight out the top of my skull if I buy this", then buy a $60 S controller which will probably be on sale for $50.

JLB

Banned
I know what the Elite Series 2 comes with, it's sitting in front of me. I love the thing so far.

It's still not a good deal though, it's a terrible deal. It's a $180 controller in a market that has $30 controllers. No specialty item is a good deal, it's part of being a specialty item, they are priced to offset R&D and manufacturing on a high-end limited volume product and still make a profit.

That doesn't mean I don't think it's worth $180 or that it's not priced accordingly, but being priced accordingly is not the same as being a good deal.

It's a $230 controller up here in Canada. I didn't hesitate to buy one because I've been excited about it for over a year and after using it for a couple days I have no regrets yet. But random people will see it in a store next to $60 and even $30 controllers and then see the console on the shelf below it has a $250 CDN price including a controller. Those people sure won't think it's a good deal. They won't care that it comes in a case or has a fancy cord. They'll look at the price, say "my wife will kick my balls straight out the top of my skull if I buy this", then buy a $60 S controller which will probably be on sale for $50.

Its like buying a Ferrari. Sure, it costs 350k when you have a market where you can get cars for 2k or less. But still a Ferrari is a Ferrari.

hollams

Gold Member
So far I'm really liking it better than the V1. I like the tactile feeling of the button presses, it just feels good. I was afraid I wouldn't like the shorter paddles but I've adjusted without any issue and I do like the "click" of them when pressed.

Waiting on Rewasd to support the V2 as of now it just sees it as a regular xbox controller. I talked to them and they said it would be a couple of weeks.

Mine is being given as a "surprise" birthday present before the end of the year. What makes this interesting, is I have no idea when the party will be other than it will be before the end of the year, as my family always picks a date at random because my birthday is close to Christmas and gets missed.

My scuff is wearing out (The leftmost paddle, which I use most, is barely working), and I need this thing in my hand already. :messenger_beaming:

Kagey K

Banned
We have a rule in the family (that I made, stupidly) that after Nov 1 we can’t buy anything for ourselves, so it looks like I’m stuck using the v1 until Dec. So jealous of you guys playing with your new toys.

nemiroff

Gold Member
People on reddit complaining there buttons are sticking.

Mine did that for the first day or so, especially diagonal presses. I decided to wait and see instead of report it, and sure enough it went away after using it for a while (I mostly use paddles..) and It's no longer "an issue" . I don't know but I would guess it may be the same for others.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Not a bad analogy, considering....

The reliability still sucks.

Yeap, definitely thats something to be worried. Ill be going to US next month and theres no support / option to return if it fails once back at home. A hit or miss situation...

Gerdav

This is a bit of PSA for anyone else who does not keep their Xbox in instant on mode and have been sleepwalking along in a total brain fart for however long, take a USB cable and run it from you TV to the charging pad, boom so bloody obvious it’s painfully embarrassing it took me four days to do it.

I'm hearing that the Elite 2 helps a lot with regulating tempo better in The Golf Club 2019, which is the most critical parameter to control in that game. That news alone ought to sell a couple dozen of them! :goog_cool:

This is a bit of PSA for anyone else who does not keep their Xbox in instant on mode and have been sleepwalking along in a total brain fart for however long, take a USB cable and run it from you TV to the charging pad, boom so bloody obvious it’s painfully embarrassing it took me four days to do it.

That nugget will be of benefit to me when I ultimately score an Elite 2. Thanks for posting it!

Loving he adjustable tension on the sticks. High tension coupled with the taller stick makes it much better for racing games and anything requiring a light touch. Being able to assign a shift key is the smartest move Microsoft has done since adding paddles to the Xbone controller.

I've always been a fan of the Eneloop swap system I've had going since the X360 days, but the charging dock built into the case was a really good idea. I primarily game on my PC and the case is sitting right there always plugged into my tower. I kept the felt flap in place so I can put it away without charging each time. I'll charge it every Tuesday and Friday and I should never run out of juice unexpectedly that way. Being USB-C is nice too, should be a lot less fragile than the Micro-USB port was.

Now I'm curious to see how long it goes before I have to fix something. It's pretty easy to get apart with the proper tools from what I've seen. Just run a parts separator and pull the face. I had my V1 Elite since launch and it was my sole controller for both PC and Xbox. I must have put over 4000 hours on that poor controller. The rubber had started expanding on one of the grips in the last six months and my stick hats had become loose early on because of the metal on plastic design. I also damaged the Micro-USB slot and had to re-solder it but that was my own fault. That's actually pretty good considering the complexity of modern controllers. I had a new controller about every year on my X360 due to drift or wear, I also hate how controllers feel when the plastic texture wears smooth. The old Elite's coating still looks brand new.

For reference, the 15 year old Skid-Steer at work only has 3000 hours on it and the control stick handles have had several failures on the toggles and triggers, those handles cost about $300 to replace each time despite being big hollow pieces of plastic with about 20 parts inside.

Hostile_18

Banned
Loving he adjustable tension on the sticks. High tension coupled with the taller stick makes it much better for racing games and anything requiring a light touch. Being able to assign a shift key is the smartest move Microsoft has done since adding paddles to the Xbone controller.

I've always been a fan of the Eneloop swap system I've had going since the X360 days, but the charging dock built into the case was a really good idea. I primarily game on my PC and the case is sitting right there always plugged into my tower. I kept the felt flap in place so I can put it away without charging each time. I'll charge it every Tuesday and Friday and I should never run out of juice unexpectedly that way. Being USB-C is nice too, should be a lot less fragile than the Micro-USB port was.

Now I'm curious to see how long it goes before I have to fix something. It's pretty easy to get apart with the proper tools from what I've seen. Just run a parts separator and pull the face. I had my V1 Elite since launch and it was my sole controller for both PC and Xbox. I must have put over 4000 hours on that poor controller. The rubber had started expanding on one of the grips in the last six months and my stick hats had become loose early on because of the metal on plastic design. I also damaged the Micro-USB slot and had to re-solder it but that was my own fault. That's actually pretty good considering the complexity of modern controllers. I had a new controller about every year on my X360 due to drift or wear, I also hate how controllers feel when the plastic texture wears smooth. The old Elite's coating still looks brand new.

For reference, the 15 year old Skid-Steer at work only has 3000 hours on it and the control stick handles have had several failures on the toggles and triggers, those handles cost about $300 to replace each time despite being big hollow pieces of plastic with about 20 parts inside.

A new controller every year 🤯. That's some heavy use lol.

I'm still rocking my day 1 PS4 controller and day 1 PS PRO controller. The battery on the PS4 controller is only lasting about 2 hours now however. If the PS5 wasnt around the corner I'd defo be looking to upgrade/replace that one.

How do you map the paddles in windows 10? Problem with pc games, is that the majority of them won't let you fully configure them like you could with kb/m. Only games like fallout and TES you can fully customize when using a controller.

Last edited:

hollams

Gold Member
How do you map the paddles in windows 10? Problem with pc games, is that the majority of them won't let you fully configure them like you could with kb/m. Only games like fallout and TES you can fully customize when using a controller.

I use a program called Rewasd it works perfect for the V1 Elite, but they don't have support for V2 yet. I asked and they mentioned within a week or so.

You can use that program to map the paddles to any kb/m button or combo. They do charge for each feature so it can be a bit expensive but they do have sales sometimes.

Xbox Accessories App

You can set all the buttons as any button, change analog curves, assign a button or paddle as a "shift" button almost doubling the amount of commands you can perform through the controller. It's meant I can stop using the keyboard for shortcuts. For example I use the M key to open the map in Horizon 4, but now I should be able to use a shift+button for the same thing.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
A new controller every year 🤯. That's some heavy use lol.

I'm still rocking my day 1 PS4 controller and day 1 PS PRO controller. The battery on the PS4 controller is only lasting about 2 hours now however. If the PS5 wasnt around the corner I'd defo be looking to upgrade/replace that one.
Lots of people I know buy thier controller from GameStop/EBgames and buy the insurance. Then they go trade their controller every year even if it’s not broken just to always have a new one. Pay for the insurance on the trade and do it again.

Its actually a decent deal when you think about it.

buizel

Banned
Is funny when my controller broke I bought a $20 third party wired one, and it's got all the features the Elite has like back-triggers and programmable buttons. Feels just as good as the official one and looks the same.

Kagey K

Banned
Is funny when my controller broke I bought a $20 third party wired one, and it's got all the features the Elite has like back-triggers and programmable buttons. Feels just as good as the official one and looks the same.
But you are on a leash, and I’m sure it doesn’t feel the same in the hand.

The old pad was crap, i bought one and sold it, the paddles just get in the way. The only good thing is tightening sticks, and that was stolen from the old razer onza pad.
I thought it was awesome......I can understand not liking the price point but to me it makes gaming a lot easier

buizel

Banned
But you are on a leash, and I’m sure it doesn’t feel the same in the hand.

well yeah obviously theres going to be quality differences theres $150 between them.

i like the cable because i can now use it with my ps3/pc/wii u etc, and has a nice feel. suprised. used to buy horrendous looking 3rd party n64 controllers.

kingwingin

After tearing up this controller for the last week, it's impossible for me to go back to a regular controller.

I thought I'd end up getting frustrated with the paddles but they were so easy to get used to. Mapped A B X and L3 to the back and I I'm sprinting, vaulting, sliding and reloading in modern warfare without missing a beat.

Also charged it once when it first came in and I'm still at one notch below full.

Top Bottom