• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox Elite 2 controller arrives on November 4th for $179.99

D

Deleted member 740922

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Microsoft is launching a new version of its popular Xbox Elite controller today at E3 2019. It’s the Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, and it has been totally reengineered according to Microsoft. There are new adjustable tension thumbsticks that can be adjusted using a tool to improve precision. The trigger grips have also been updated, alongside redesigned bumpers and shorter hair locks so you can fire faster. Even the paddles and thumbsticks have been overhauled for more customization.

Microsoft has even included USB-C support and Bluetooth, and a rechargable battery that lasts for up to 40 hours per charge. It looks like the controller design has been updated to include a wrap-around rubberized grip, too

Iorv3th

I was interested but not at that price. Might get it if I can find it on sale for a good price. I don't understand why they didn't just keep it at 149.99. Are they going to keep the old one in production and sell it for cheaper?

It'll be $230 CDN for me. If they have the QC issues worked out I'm on board. $230 for a controller is insane, but I spent more than three times that on a plastic Millennium Falcon model and the materials required to assemble and paint it that just sits on a shelf. I've been using my current Elite since launch and it's held up other than the grips coming apart. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

I was interested but not at that price. Might get it if I can find it on sale for a good price. I don't understand why they didn't just keep it at 149.99. Are they going to keep the old one in production and sell it for cheaper?

The old one isn't Bluetooth, was based on the old controller frame and has QC issues (it uses the same internal mechanism for the analog sticks as the regular controller, the Switch Pro, and Dualshock 4 controllers which are all prone to drift. This new mechanism may be a bit more well designed. This new one wll also have a built in battery good for 40 hours. It appears to have received some significant upgrades inside and out accounting for the price.

Im a cheap arse gamer. I dont buy games day one, in fact I only play games on live or gamepass. But!!! The og elite was worth every penny (£100) I paid for it.

Hands down, far and away the greatest controller ever made or designed.

I'm in day one. This time im going to preorder three because of how the price shot up with the elite v1

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
that price is kinda fucky
but i will def get one when it goes on sale for 100

Iorv3th

The old one isn't Bluetooth, was based on the old controller frame and has QC issues (it uses the same internal mechanism for the analog sticks as the regular controller, the Switch Pro, and Dualshock 4 controllers which are all prone to drift. This new mechanism may be a bit more well designed. This new one wll also have a built in battery good for 40 hours. It appears to have received some significant upgrades inside and out accounting for the price.

QC issues shouldn't be a thing on any 150$ controller though. Them fixing it doesn't mean they should be able to charge extra. You see stuff phased out and replaced by better products all the time and they keep the same pricing structure. The inclusion of bluetooth shouldn't be an added cost as they added that to all the regular xbox one controllers and didn't increase the price on those. They just replaced the old ones.

I got my current elite controller used and also traded in a bunch of stuff to get it for even cheaper. Love the controller, but the rubber gripping on one side of the controller is starting to come off. Wish I could afford this new version, but that is not likely to happen.

jakinov

I buy everything and money is no object but that price is completely ridiculous
I dunno people pay that much for keyboards with some LEDs. There's probably a lot special engineering involved in designing a compact modular controller than what they do with keyboards. Though keyboards have an alternative (primary) use for the user.

angelic

Banned
The old pad was crap, i bought one and sold it, the paddles just get in the way. The only good thing is tightening sticks, and that was stolen from the old razer onza pad.

Hinedorf

Banned
The sell here is for the PC gamer not the console gamer. I just subscribed today to Gamepass for 1$, I'd probably have bought this if it was available now.

The old pad was crap, i bought one and sold it, the paddles just get in the way. The only good thing is tightening sticks, and that was stolen from the old razer onza pad.
I only use 2 paddles and swap sides so the flat edge against my hand. Frees up a little room. Works really well. If I use all 4 paddles though i accidentally press them too often.

HeresJohnny

That feeling when you're in last place and you're releasing 200 dollar controllers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge anyone who has the coin and wants to get one, it just tells me Microsoft clearly has their priorities all fucked up.

Mihos

Gold Member
On my original Elite controller, the analog sticks would 'bounce' and move the opposite way when released.

Also, the right shoulder button spring broke playing Dark Souls.

I liked the weight of it, though. I won't buy another without a hands on test.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Stupidly overpriced for a controller, but not too expensive for a frivolous purchase by any salaryman. Bet it prints cash for msft no more than $30 to produce, hence they keep making them. I rather they trickle down the stronger designs into their every day controller.

Last edited:

nikolino840

Did they just ignore what everyone has been telling them and put a non-exchangeable battery in there - fuck that.

I want a controller that takes a pair of these

I saw a lot of war about batteries in past in controllers threads(ps vs Xbox)...

I thought won internal batteries like dual shock

angelic

Banned
I only use 2 paddles and swap sides so the flat edge against my hand. Frees up a little room. Works really well. If I use all 4 paddles though i accidentally press them too often.

More power too you. Im a claw gripper so i dont need paddles.
20161231-221018.jpg

MayauMiao

I really wonder if this kind of controller is really worth the price.

Have any of you seen those gamers at tournaments using the Xbox Elite controller?

angelic

Banned
Nope nope nope lol. I never could claw, but am impressed by people who can.

Its only really moving your digits down one notch. Pinkie does nothing, next two fingers for triggers 2 and 1, last finger and thumb do face button and right stick. I find it essential, most games need 2 face buttons pressed at once.

Oh and the face button finger can press 2 buttons at once. I guess im a freak.

Last edited:

ViolentP

Its only really moving your digits down one notch. Pinkie does nothing, next two fingers for triggers 2 and 1, last finger and thumb do face button and right stick. I find it essential, most games need 2 face buttons pressed at once.

Oh and the face button finger can press 2 buttons at once. I guess im a freak.

I'm too old a dog to learn such tricks. This looks like black magic to me.

angelic

Banned
I'm too old a dog to learn such tricks. This looks like black magic to me.

I've done it for 20 years, and i really tried to use paddles on the elite, but i couldnt do it. My pinkie doesn't feel strong enough for them, you cant hold under the pad without pushing paddles, oh and the whole elite pad is really heavy compared to normal pads. It feels like a brick, youre always conscious of holding a heavy thing. The whole concept is flawed.

Roni

Gold Member
The BT capabilities alone make me want this. So hard to find wireless controllers with BT USB capabilities. If this comes out of the box on the controller, I may never need a new controller again.

Gonna use this on PC, while streaming to TV, mobile.... Whatever.

QC issues shouldn't be a thing on any 150$ controller though. Them fixing it doesn't mean they should be able to charge extra. You see stuff phased out and replaced by better products all the time and they keep the same pricing structure. The inclusion of bluetooth shouldn't be an added cost as they added that to all the regular xbox one controllers and didn't increase the price on those. They just replaced the old ones.

You stated " I don't understand why they didn't just keep it at 149.99. Are they going to keep the old one in production and sell it for cheaper? "

I answered that the controller was based on the old non-Bluetooth design and had QC issues as the reason they don't keep selling the old one. I don't have input on Xbox controller pricing, just gave you the reasoning Microsoft will give for the price increase.

To put it plainly they're charging more because people were more than happy to shell out $150 for the old one and Microsoft figures people will shell out $170 for this one. When the last one was announced for $150 people scoffed that nobody would buy it for that much which was followed by it selling out and becoming hard to find for months. I'm betting plenty of people will be forking $170 over for this version too.

Top Bottom