• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s Xbox backward compatibility program returns with 76 new games

intbal

I think Gunvalkyrie's controls have actually gotten worse with this BC enhancement. I last played it about three years ago on my OG Xbox and I don't recall it being this touchy.

I think Gunvalkyrie's controls have actually gotten worse with this BC enhancement. I last played it about three years ago on my OG Xbox and I don't recall it being this touchy.
Just keep playing and it clicks. Im loving it. The aiming is just pointing in the vague direction and the rest is auto lock on. The fun part is the jet boost controls. Feels like a Virtua On action campaign or something.

Last edited:

Gunvalkyrie has multiple hidden moves too. The quick turn is sick. Instead of just a 180 you can quick turn in 4 different directions. And this can also be done in the air while chaining multiple air dashes.

Last edited:
Wait, so none of these games are res boosted? Cause if not what's even the point? These old games look so awful on a 4k screen without at least a res boost. Max Payne 3? That would be a travesty if not...

Banned
Wait, so none of these games are res boosted? Cause if not what's even the point? These old games look so awful on a 4k screen without at least a res boost. Max Payne 3? That would be a travesty if not...

every og Xbox game gets res boosted, 360 games no

FOR THE UNINITIATED
(because I saw that question more than once now)
Xbox 360 games do not get a resolution boost without a special enhanced patch.
this means every 360 title that newly came to the BC program today will run at the same resolution they ran at on 360.
Because none of them got a resolution boost
(called One X enhaced Patch in the past, but that doesn't really fit anymore now that the new consoles are out)

original Xbox games all get resolution boost as a default feature:
Xbox One + One S = 4x boost (480p becomes 960p)
Xbox Series S = 9x boost (480p becomes 1440p)
Xbox One X + Series X = 16x boost (480p becomes 1920p)

Xbox 360 titles that get a resolution boost:
Xbox One + One S = NO BOOST
Xbox Series S = 4x boost (720p becomes 1440p)
Xbox One X + Series X = 9x Boost (720p becomes 2160p)

an Xbox 360 game that got an FPS boost today, Sonic Generations, already had a resolution boost to 2160p and therefore now runs at 4K 60fps

I hope this helps

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
I finally pulled up the store pages for back compat games by searching for them directly. I see a lot of the games are like 15-25 CAD each. God damn, I remember the OG games being usually 10-15 CAD.

Like, 20 bucks plus tax for Max Payne 1? Meh. Fuck that.

Lone Wolf

I finally pulled up the store pages for back compat games by searching for them directly. I see a lot of the games are like 15-25 CAD each. God damn, I remember the OG games being usually 10-15 CAD.

Big sales coming soon. Just wait a bit.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Yeah Payne 3 is not enhanced at all. Kinda a bummer. Maybe it'll come down the line. OG two will get some enhancements though.

intbal

Max Payne 2 had an unlocked framerate on original Xbox? I didn't realize that.
It's running at 60fps now on my One X. Sweet.

Edit: It's also 16:9 full screen, when the original didn't support that mode. It's almost like they have patched it.

Last edited:
DOA1-DOA3 definitely got a resolution boost. Doesn’t seem like DOA4 got one though. It still looks very good though. Guess the up-rez’ing and frame rate boosts applies to certain games?

nush

Gold Member

They put them up high so the inevitable discount looks great. They always do this.

Max Payne 3 has probably the best graphics on 360, it's such a shame it's not 4k boosted. With them saying this is the last bc drop, that means we're likely never going to get to play this at a good resolution.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Sonic Unleashed FPS Boost is a dream come true

I might even give Generations another chance even tho that game bores the hell outta me

Glad I kept my DOA 1-2-3 disks Get ready....FIGHT!

Got caught up in the Halo beta re-learning Gun-Val controls tomorrow I forgot everything haha

Otogi 1&2 at 20 a pop is a bit steep waiting for a sale

Can't wait to re-play the F.E.A.R series so underrated! mann I haven't had this much fun on a console since Titanfall 2

intbal

Max Payne 3 has probably the best graphics on 360, it's such a shame it's not 4k boosted. With them saying this is the last bc drop, that means we're likely never going to get to play this at a good resolution.
X Enhancement isn't the only way to increase resolution. Microsoft showed off AI Upsampling to Digital Foundry through the ML hardware inside Series consoles. It's not as good as an increase in native resolution, but it's certainly better than upscaling. We'll just have to wait and see if they ever actually add it as a feature.

xion4360

having issues with DOA4

Got DOA2 Ultimate and 3 (Ultimate says I own but also has a buy to own button like wtf...3 is fine)

DOA4 simply says oops there was an error when you try to buy and Ive tried to buy it like 12 times...problem is im getting charged for each of those attempts even though im not actually buying anything, or getting emails or anything in order history...support at least said she sees the failed attempts so Ill see what happens tomorrow if i can get all the charges removed.

Loving BC on Series X

ELFevlr.jpg

YMj8tL1.jpg

jpd8ySQ.jpg

8Wr6wia.jpg

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Sonic Racing Transformed plays really nice now at 60fps, really feels like a fun old school Arcade game now,
Sonic Generations looks amazing 4k 60fps. If you had told me it was a remade for current gen (I suppose in kind of has) I'd believe if I didn't know.

lachesis

I bought Gun Valkyrie and it really looks damn amazing for nearly 20 year old game.
Control, at least is much more comfortable than using the Duke controller back then. :)

Only issue that I have with the game is how skimpy the options are. You don't even have an option to toggle Y axis... nor the subtltles for the cut scenes.

I truly miss Smilebit and Overworks. IMHO, they were the best Sega internal devs who actually knew how to develop good console games, not arcade ports....

Top Bottom