• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft’s CEO Satya Nadella says the company is ‘very, very much focused on gaming’

Oh gee I'm glad they said this about the Series X, afterall they never ever said anything like that about the Xbox one back in the day 🙄

I have said this before, actions not words, the 360 era was so fantastic because Microsoft where really trying hard to get solid unique games into the hands of consumers, and it was that wide push that made it a console for everyone.

Xbox one was just a focus on pushing hardware and having multiplatforms do the heavy lifting, which dousent work... People need a reason to buy your console, and until I see some solid physical on store shelve examples that Microsoft has changed since the barren one era, PR statements like this simply won't cut it.
So what do they have over 20 studios for again? Were you simply expecting 20+ exclusives day one?

Oh gee I'm glad they said this about the Series X, afterall they never ever said anything like that about the Xbox one back in the day 🙄

I have said this before, actions not words, the 360 era was so fantastic because Microsoft where really trying hard to get solid unique games into the hands of consumers, and it was that wide push that made it a console for everyone.

Xbox one was just a focus on pushing hardware and having multiplatforms do the heavy lifting, which dousent work... People need a reason to buy your console, and until I see some solid physical on store shelve examples that Microsoft has changed since the barren one era, PR statements like this simply won't cut it.

Lol that's what I thought.

First thing that came to mind, "haven't I heard this before?"

NeatoB1

During the firm’s annual shareholder meeting, Satya Nadella was asked what efforts Microsoft is making to “win the console war” with PS5, and to provide an overview of its gaming strategy.

“First thing, we’re very excited about the new console launches in the market,” he said of Xbox Series X/S, which debuted in November and broke Microsoft’s 24-hour launch record of over one million sales, according to the company.

“We always have sort of focused on ensuring that our gamer community that counts on us to produce the best consoles has a new generation of consoles, which are powerful and really great for gameplay. And we are supporting it with the best content with the best community.

“But the broader vision we have is to ensure that the three billion gamers out there are able to play their games, anywhere they want with all the content they want and with whom they want to,” Nadella continued (transcribed by Seeking Alpha). “And that’s really what we are building our strategy around.

“You’ve seen us double our content portfolio with ZeniMax acquisition, you see us make advances in our community efforts and our subscription offers with Game Pass. And that’s what you can expect from us.

“We are absolutely very, very much focused on gaming, and ensuring that all the three billion gamers around the world get the best content, best community and the best cloud services to power their gaming experiences going forward,” Nadella said.
I read this as Nadal's never firing phil

NickFire

“We always have sort of focused on ensuring that our gamer community that counts on us to produce the best consoles has a new generation of consoles, which are powerful and really great for gameplay. And we are supporting it with the best content with the best community.
In my opinion, the bolded part sums it all up.

Blond

Banned
Do you remember what happened when Microsoft spent $7 billion on Nokia?

I don’t think people really realize how much money Apple and Microsoft have to be spending billions like it’s nothing when by the time you read this post they’ve made it all back lol.

I doubt Bethesda has even made 7 Billion in the companies history, they aren’t worth that much but Zenimax knew there could get it.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So what do they have over 20 studios for again? Were you simply expecting 20+ exclusives day one?

No but.... 5 years, now more to develop a new Halo? When was the last Forza released? (not horizon) Microsoft have studios, they have had them before the buyout of a huge third party publisher. So why is there not a single first party exclusive... the closest is gears tactics but iv been through that one on PC.

I like how you threw out a huge number like 20 in attempt to make me sound insane to exspect anything, one or two solid never before seen exclusives would of been great. Instead what? At least the xbox one on launch came with Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 4 and Forza. Pretending jack shit is normal and huffing Microsoft's hot air as it wafts slowly our of the CEO'S anus gets you the exact same, nothing.

Il buy an xbox series x when it gets some actual games worth playing, that I can't just buy on PS5 with better preformance, they fucked up too much good will by promising this for years on the one and only delivering Forza Horizon 4 at the tail end.

Last edited:
No but.... 5 years, now more to develop a new Halo? When was the last Forza released? (not horizon) Microsoft have studios, they have had them before the buyout of a huge third party publisher. So why is there not a single first party exclusive... the closest is gears tactics but iv been through that one on PC.

I like how you threw out a huge number like 20 in attempt to make me sound insane to exspect anything, one or two solid never before seen exclusives would of been great. Instead what? At least the xbox one on launch came with Sunset Overdrive, Dead Rising 4 and Forza. Pretending jack shit is normal and huffing Microsoft's hot air as it wafts slowly our of the CEO'S anus gets you the exact same, nothing.

Il buy an xbox series x when it gets some actual games worth playing, that I can't just buy on PS5 with better preformance, they fucked up too much good will by promising this for years on the one and only delivering Forza Horizon 4 at the tail end.
Most of the studios they bought were within less time as it takes to make a next-gen game. Halo is a special case, honestly. They were on track but the reception was awful.

reinking

Gold Member
I don't think there has ever been a question if Microsoft was focused on gaming. Expanding back into PC gaming should have been the biggest clue. The question is how focused are they on the console vs the "the broader vision?" I believe it has already been stated that part of the design around the Series X is because it will also provide servers for xCloud. I hope that is not come into play in regards to what we are seeing in early performance vs competition. Before the Team Green Defense Force get their panties in bunch. I specifically said "early" meaning I expect XB to have their wins too.

kuncol02

Banned
When was the last Forza released?
When was last numbered Gran Turismo released? Real one, not shitty spin off.

Most of the studios they bought were within less time as it takes to make a next-gen game. Halo is a special case, honestly. They were on track but the reception was awful.

And many of them still had games to finish for other publishers (Outer Worlds, Wastelands 3, Psychonauts 2, Frostpoint VR)

Last edited:

Jerm411

Yes because those previous years they had 23 studios and the backing of the CEO. I guess those 1000s of employees are getting high all day and will never produce a game lol.

Oh yes, because before this year they had nothing and 2020 was when they rose from the ashes like a Phoenix....

Uh huh. 🙄

quest

Not Banned from OT
Oh yes, because before this year they had nothing and 2020 was when they rose from the ashes like a Phoenix....

Uh huh. 🙄
Before 2018 they had little when budgets were slashed after Don's failure. You want to compare what Sony has with pre 2018 Microsoft. A shell of its former self rare, 343 lol and then 3 good studios in turn 10, playground and the coalition. Thats really it not like there was this huge deep pool lol. Basically in 2018 the studios were being rebuilt from the ground up with small financially struggling studios who need time to staff up. It takes time you just don't turn it around in 1 year. It was going to take 4 years for those new studios to staff up and start releasing AAA games. It was not until the zenimax deal they are getting fully staffed studios ready to go and they won't get the keys until 2021.

Top Bottom