• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft—now trying to get its $75 billion deal for Activision approved—has taken a friendly role with regulators. (WSJ)

graywolf323

Gold Member
Anything is possible when it comes to the FTC.
spanish time GIF

John Wick

Again, proving my point. No rebuttal after being slapped with facts, so you resort to lame retorts like a petulant child and then put the icing on the cake by linking an article that's completely unrelated to anything I'm saying in a desperate attempt to say "mIcRoSoFt bAd!" Just like earlier "bu-but...Bing!" Your obsession with MS is hilarious.

Spin harder.
Sheesh are you still barking for MS? Obsessed? Look in the mirror.
MS doing what they always done but now treading carefully.

John Wick

Yeah with Sony being the market leader am sure they look into the deals but who knows at this point. I do expect the activision deal to go through tbh
They won't look into the deal for various reasons. One Sony isn't a massive tech giant like those four other companies. Second Sony isn't using their massive cash on hand from other divisions to assume a dominant position. Third Bungie will stay multiplatform and self publish.
Fourth the most important MS are known well known for anti competitive practices. Even now they do it but far more cleverly. Like some would have you believe MS are the good guys now taking the fight to evil corporation's like Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook.
Also the deal is half of what was Bethesda so not even in the Same ballpark.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
They won't look into the deal for various reasons. One Sony isn't a massive tech giant like those four other companies. Second Sony isn't using their massive cash on hand from other divisions to assume a dominant position. Third Bungie will stay multiplatform and self publish.
Fourth the most important MS are known well known for anti competitive practices. Even now they do it but far more cleverly. Like some would have you believe MS are the good guys now taking the fight to evil corporation's like Apple, Google, Amazon and Facebook.
Also the deal is half of what was Bethesda so not even in the Same ballpark.

microsoft also said that Activision would continue to stay multiple platforms to, even adding call of duty to switch.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Anything is possible when it comes to the FTC.

Or as per what's more common with these merger investigations, some fluff and fanfare before it goes through as almost everyone expects it to.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
microsoft also said that Activision would continue to stay multiple platforms to, even adding call of duty to switch.
They are contractually obligated to. That is why they said, "some not all" ... "some" meaning the multi-year marketing deals that are still in place.

Don't fall for the "good will" PR spin too much.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Sheesh are you still barking for MS? Obsessed? Look in the mirror.
MS doing what they always done but now treading carefully.

Not only are you obsessed with MS like the raving Sony shill you are, but now it seems like I also live rent free on your head. You leave a like reaction to my post while ignoring it and continuing to post on GAF as normal, then 24 hours later go back and reply to the post you left the reaction on. Lmfao.

#rentfree

MS has been doing what they've always done since the 90s. You're just extra salty that this time it involves ABK. Stay mad 😂

John Wick

Not only are you obsessed with MS like the raving Sony shill you are, but now it seems like I also live rent free on your head. You leave a like reaction to my post while ignoring it and continuing to post on GAF as normal, then 24 hours later go back and reply to the post you left the reaction on. Lmfao.

#rentfree

MS has been doing what they've always done since the 90s. You're just extra salty that this time it involves ABK. Stay mad 😂
You still barking? 😂😂😂

Lognor

Banned
Well Sony had zero choice as this was Bungie's stipulation in the first place, one that we knew they wanted since last October (Independence, ""One Bungie"). Don't pretend like Sony wouldn't lock down Bungie as well if they had the choice, as has always been their modus operandi.
Kind of wild that Sony still made that acquisition when all of Bungie's games will be on Xbox day one. Maybe Sony can force Bungie to make exclusive content for PS5, but I don't know. It sounds like Sony bent over to all of Bungie's demands. Crazy.

Jimmy_liv

I don't really get the fan boy stuff tbh. I mean, a console is £350 for PS5 digital and £250 for series s.
Over an 8 year period it really isn't a huge investment to ensure you can play the best games.

I get it when you're a kid and you parents buy you one machine but as you mature then surely it isn't as much as a big deal.

3liteDragon

Kind of wild that Sony still made that acquisition when all of Bungie's games will be on Xbox day one. Maybe Sony can force Bungie to make exclusive content for PS5, but I don't know. It sounds like Sony bent over to all of Bungie's demands. Crazy.
They can’t force Bungie to make it exclusive as long as they have publishing rights to their current & future IPs, like Bethesda or Activision (if their publishing arm Activision Publishing still exists after the acquisition), Sony already said they find Bungie’s tech useful for their own studios when it comes to multiplayer/GaaS IP. That was the main reason behind the acquisition, that they were willing to let Bungie keep their publishing rights & publish games on competitor platforms.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
They can’t force Bungie to make it exclusive as long as they have publishing rights to their current & future IPs, like Bethesda or Activision (if their publishing arm Activision Publishing still exists after the acquisition), Sony already said they find Bungie’s tech useful for their own studios when it comes to multiplayer/GaaS IP. That was the main reason behind the acquisition, that they were willing to let Bungie keep their publishing rights & publish games on competitor platforms.

It's also a deal that will allow Bungie to expand the reach of their IP beyond gaming.

Don't expect the simpletons to understand though, they've had enough time as it is to wrap their heads around it.

yurinka

Yes, they can. Sony owns 100% of Bungie, which includes everything like their existing and future IPs, publishing rights, everything. They decided to keep the Bungie as a separate publishing multiplatform label with creative freedom.

If some day their owner (SIE/Jim Ryan) changes his mind, he can put them to do a PS Vita exclusive Knack 3 published by PS Studios and shut down the publishing part of Bungie. Or to fire anyone who doesn't agree with his new plans.

But at least for now (and I don't expect it to change, for at least many years) Bungie will continue publishing using "Bungie" as publisher instead of PS Studios, and continue releasing their games and DLC on all platforms day one. I assume Jimbo wants that money from the other consoles but wants to avoid dumb controversies like "PS Studios went 3rd party and now will publish all their games day one in the other consoles, PS is doomed blabla".

The main reason behind the acquisition was to end making more money than before. First via Bungie games, second via the GaaS/MP/FPS knowledge, expertise and tech that Bungie will provide to the PS Studios team, so will help them be more successful, third because PlayStation will use Bungie IPs to make movies or tv shows and fourth because all these moves will help them reach new fans in new markets (like rival consoles or movies/tv shows) resulting on indirect extra revenue.

Making them exclusive would have meant to piss off millions of fans Bungie has in other platforms and to leave a lot of money on the table because of potatoes, which pretty likely wouldn't have been compensated by marginal extra game sales on their console and extra hardware sales (specially now while being heavily supply constrained). I also assume that in Bungie's side they also prefered to keep working as they did until now and to don't piss off their fans.

I assume that if they ever keep something exclusive I assume won't be games or DLC. They could get exclusivity for console bundles, demos, betas or inclusion in game subs, a special collectors edition with figurines or stuff like that. Or who knows, maybe a very small timed exclusivity for some (probably cosmetic only) DLCs. But I assume their focus will be to go as much as day one multiplatform as they can, to recoup asap the billions they invested on Bungie.

Last edited:
Yes, they can. Sony owns 100% of Bungie, which includes everything like their existing and future IPs, publishing rights, everything. They decided to keep the Bungie as a separate publishing multiplatform label with creative freedom.

If some day their owner (SIE/Jim Ryan) changes his mind, he can put them to do a PS Vita exclusive Knack 3 published by PS Studios and shut down the publishing part of Bungie. Or to fire anyone who doesn't agree with his new plans.

But at least for now (and I don't expect it to change, for at least many years) Bungie will continue publishing using "Bungie" as publisher instead of PS Studios, and continue releasing their games and DLC on all platforms day one. I assume Jimbo wants that money from the other consoles but wants to avoid dumb controversies like "PS Studios went 3rd party and now will publish all their games day one in the other consoles, PS is doomed blabla".

The main reason behind the acquisition was to end making more money than before. First via Bungie games, second via the GaaS/MP/FPS knowledge, expertise and tech that Bungie will provide to the PS Studios team, so will help them be more successful, third because PlayStation will use Bungie IPs to make movies or tv shows and fourth because all these moves will help them reach new fans in new markets (like rival consoles or movies/tv shows) resulting on indirect extra revenue.

Making them exclusive would have meant to piss off millions of fans Bungie has in other platforms and to leave a lot of money on the table because of potatoes, which pretty likely wouldn't have been compensated by marginal extra game sales on their console and extra hardware sales (specially now while being heavily supply constrained). I also assume that in Bungie's side they also prefered to keep working as they did until now and to don't piss off their fans.

I assume that if they ever keep something exclusive I assume won't be games or DLC. They could get exclusivity for console bundles, demos, betas or inclusion in game subs, a special collectors edition with figurines or stuff like that. Or who knows, maybe a very small timed exclusivity for some (probably cosmetic only) DLCs. But I assume their focus will be to go as much as day one multiplatform as they can, to recoup asap the billions they invested on Bungie.
Actually, you really don't know the answer and are just guessing. Unless you're actually privy to the actual contract signed between Sony and Bungie, how would you know what you state as fact?

There's been a few legal experts weigh in on the deal, and the consensus is that while typically Sony would be able to alter any agreements and just faithlessly do a U-turn should they see fit. That this doesn't seem to be the case with the Sony/Bungie deal. Sony had to convince Bungie that it had complete control and authority over what games it made, what went into making them, and where said games would be released. From the legal analysis I've seen. It's almost a certainty that in order to get Bungie to sign on the dotted line, Sony had to legally agree for Bungie to have complete authority over the games it worked on.

They largely agree with you as to the reasons why Sony would do such a deal. The tech, talent, and experience that is Bungie, is completely unique in the gaming industry. If you wanted to find a developer/publisher with a comparable pedigree as far as live service games goes. You'd have to spend exponentially more to do so. Fortnite, Apex, Warzone, Minecraft, and maybe a couple others are the comparables here. While Destiny isn't quite on the same level as those, it's closer than just about anything else is. Sony wants that level of expertise to learn from in order to successfully integrate live service games into their portfolio.

Swift_Star

Banned
Sure, pretty wild to make a relatively cheap acquisition that will bring them more tech, revenue and reach over time.
It’s 2022 and some people are still living in the 90s bubble of “MuH eXcLuSiVeS” 🤦🏻

Last edited:

yurinka

Actually, you really don't know the answer and are just guessing. Unless you're actually privy to the actual contract signed between Sony and Bungie, how would you know what you state as fact?
I'm just explaining a fact: SIE bought 100% of Bungie. They completely own Bungie, so can do whatever they want with it.

There's been a few legal experts weigh in on the deal, and the consensus is that while typically Sony would be able to alter any agreements and just faithlessly do a U-turn should they see fit. That this doesn't seem to be the case with the Sony/Bungie deal. Sony had to convince Bungie that it had complete control and authority over what games it made, what went into making them, and where said games would be released. From the legal analysis I've seen. It's almost a certainty that in order to get Bungie to sign on the dotted line, Sony had to legally agree for Bungie to have complete authority over the games it worked on.

They largely agree with you as to the reasons why Sony would do such a deal. The tech, talent, and experience that is Bungie, is completely unique in the gaming industry. If you wanted to find a developer/publisher with a comparable pedigree as far as live service games goes. You'd have to spend exponentially more to do so. Fortnite, Apex, Warzone, Minecraft, and maybe a couple others are the comparables here. While Destiny isn't quite on the same level as those, it's closer than just about anything else is. Sony wants that level of expertise to learn from in order to successfully integrate live service games into their portfolio.

All these things are public, I'm not guessing them.

Sony bought 100% of the company, meaning Sony has complete control and authority over Bungie, about their future games and where they will be released. Bungie are now simple Sony employees, workers from another Sony subsidiary company, and like any employee in any company, your boss doesn't have to 'convince' you. If you don't do whatever your boss tells you to do, you get fired. And SIE/Jim Ryan is now the owner and boss of Bungie.

Activision was only the publisher of Bungie, so had to convince them. Sony now acquired the totality of Bungie.

Bungie said their future games will be full multiplatform, meaning they didn't even have signed a timed exclusive with anyone else. So aren't legally tied to anything with other platforms so Sony and Bungie can do whatever they want for future projects. Specifically they will continue supporting Destiny 2, will bring it to Switch via cloud and plan to release at least one new IP before 2025.

Bungie plans to continue publishing multiplatform games using their publishing label and to bring their IPs to movies, tv shows and so on. It aligns well with SIE's and Sony's known plans, so jim Ryan decided to help them achieve these projects under the SIE umbrella, securing their support and getting money from Bungie's results. Bungie is super successful and doesn't make sense to tell them how they have to make their games, so Sony will give them creative freedom as they give creative freedom to their other teams.

Bungie created the top tier IPs Halo and Destiny (so future new IPs may be top tier too), two of the most successful and influential in console FPS and console MP, and in tthe case of Destiny, it was a game changing GaaS hit. Sony needed to improve in these areas, and Bungie will help Sony on these areas directly, plus also helping the PS Studios to improve there specially on GaaS with their knowledge, expertise, data and tools. Jim Ryan also said before buying Bungie that wanted to reach players beyond their own console. And in that idea I think (this part is a personal guess) would fit very well for Sony to have publishers like Bungie under SIE but as a separate publisher instead of putting them under PS Studios: Sony would be able tto sell games in other console but keeping PS Studios games and brand console exclusive. For that same reason I think Sony may buy another 3rd party multiplatform publisher and follow the same strategy: to put them under SIE but not under PS Studios but instead under their own publishing label and continuing as multiplattform (but avoiding to give ccnsole exclusives to the competition).

Explain it then. It sounds like to me that Bungie games going forward will be on Xbox. Is that not true? That's essentially what Bungie said. But no, why don't you explain it to us?

Because your sayin that it’s Bungies decision to make multiplatform games. That’s why I said you don’t understand the nature of the deal. And DarkMage619 DarkMage619 also doesn’t understand it either from the looks of it.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Because your sayin that it’s Bungies decision to make multiplatform games. That’s why I said you don’t understand the nature of the deal. And DarkMage619 DarkMage619 also doesn’t understand it either from the looks of it.
Well yeah it is. Sony came to them with an offer and Bungie said yes only if we can stay multiplatform. How are you thinking this played out? That Sony made that call? LOL, why would they?

Well yeah it is. Sony came to them with an offer and Bungie said yes only if we can stay multiplatform. How are you thinking this played out? That Sony made that call? LOL, why would they?

Because Sony are the ones that bought them. There’s a reason why they are not part of PlayStation studios. And the reason is pretty obvious if you didn’t catch on yet. Sony would make a lot more money keeping Bungies GaaS games multiplatform then making them exclusive to one system. Destiny is extremely popular in case you didn’t know.

Also you seem to have some inside information on the deal. Do you have a source?

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Because Sony are the ones that bought them. There’s a reason why they are not part of PlayStation studios. And the reason is pretty obvious if you didn’t catch on yet. Sony would make a lot more money keeping Bungies GaaS games multiplatform then making them exclusive to one system. Destiny is extremely popular in case you didn’t know.

Also you seem to have some inside information on the deal. Do you have a source?
It was not a hostile takeover, lol. Bungie did not have to take the deal. Sony offered the money. Bungie could have said no. They didn't. And now their games will continue to be multiplatform.

S0ULZB0URNE

Sony owns Bungie and all of its assets.
The employees on the other hand can leave.
This is why part of that money is going to the devs to try and make em stay.

Destiny 2 is already established on multiple platforms,has a large amount of content and content coming so it makes sense for the "current" model to still be supported.
That is what I believe Bungie meant by Destiny staying multiplatform and no way do I think Destiny 3 or other Sony owned Bungie stuff is going to be multiplatform.
Sony aint having it and Sony is the boss.

Destiny 2 is already established on multiple platforms,has a large amount of content and content coming so it makes sense for the "current" model to still be supported.
That is what I believe Bungie meant by Destiny staying multiplatform and no way do I think Destiny 3 or other Sony owned Bungie stuff is going to be multiplatform.

Well Sony could definitely make Destiny 3 available on PC as well. But I guess it depends on how much they want to make from service games.

It was not a hostile takeover, lol. Bungie did not have to take the deal. Sony offered the money. Bungie could have said no. They didn't. And now their games will continue to be multiplatform.

And your still not providing any proof that Bungie forced Sony to make them a publisher and to allow them to keep their games multiplatform.

You’re really underestimating Sony.

Last edited:

Infamy v1

Here we go with the fanfiction again from all the usual suspects.

Jim Ryan literally stated upon the acquisition that Bungie will remain an independent subsidiary publishing their own games and ALL future Bungie games will be multiplatform, to INCLUDE "competitor consoles." Unless you think he is being slick and talking about Switch, which doesn't even have Bungie games...either way you spin it you come off as delusional. Destiny 3 and all their future content will be on Xbox.

Bungie went on to elaborate in their Q&A, answering the question will future games be PS exclusive, and they answered NO, and explained they want a unified Bungie playerbase "One Bungie" and that Destiny and all their future games will not have PS exclusivity. They even repeated that they will continue to self-publish their games as they always have.
And your still not providing any proof that Bungie forced Sony to make them a publisher and to allow them to keep their games multiplatform.

We know for a fact that since last October, when multiple rumors about MS being in talks with Bungie were rampant, that talks fell through because Bungie wanted "$2B~ plus independence." This came from reputable sources such as NateDrake/NateTheHate/Jez, and it actually came true, just with another party (if you remove the retention bonuses it's even the exact same amount). And most importantly, Bungie is famously known for regaining independence from not one, but TWO megacorps, and have always been proud of their independence.

If you literally ignore the above and think Sony is the mastermind playing 4D chess, making moves that is completely unlike them and not their usual MO, then you're bending over too hard for that metaphorical Sony dick. Instead of the aforementioned facts, it's actually papaSony themselves with the masterplan to keep Bungie indepedent? LOL. The goalpost shifting, spin and damage control some of y'all display is some Olympic mental gymnastic shit.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Jim Ryan literally stated upon the acquisition that Bungie will remain an independent subsidiary publishing their own games and ALL future Bungie games will be multiplatform, to INCLUDE "competitor consoles." Unless you think he is being slick and talking about Switch, which doesn't even have Bungie games...either way you spin it you come off as delusional. Destiny 3 and all their future content will be on Xbox.

Bungie went on to elaborate in their Q&A, answering the question will future games be PS exclusive, and they answered NO, and explained they want a unified Bungie playerbase "One Bungie" and that Destiny and all their future games will not have PS exclusivity. They even repeated that they will continue to self-publish their games as they always have.

We know for a fact that since last October, when multiple rumors about MS being in talks with Bungie were rampant, that talks fell through because Bungie wanted "$2B~ plus independence." This came from reputable sources such as NateDrake/NateTheHate/Jez, and it actually came true, just with another party (if you remove the retention bonuses it's even the exact same amount). And most importantly, Bungie is famously known for regaining independence from not one, but TWO megacorps, and have always been proud of their independence.

If you literally ignore the above and think Sony is the mastermind playing 4D chess, making moves that is completely unlike them and not their usual MO, then you're bending over too hard for that metaphorical Sony dick. Instead of the aforementioned facts, it's actually papaSony themselves with the masterplan to keep Bungie indepedent? LOL. The goalpost shifting, spin and damage control some of y'all display is some Olympic mental gymnastic shit.
Bungie is owned by Sony.
SONY controls everything they own.
Sony won't put games on Xbox.
Don't waste our time mentioning MLB when there hands were tied.

John Wick

You still barking? Why are you so obsessed with Sony and dicks?

If Destiny 3 doesn't come to PC, the game will be DoA.
PC is by far the biggest platform for the game. The people won't get a PS to play the game.

Just saying it’s pretty obvious that one of the reasons why Sony acquired Bungie is to have a multiplatform publisher. It’s probably why they didn’t integrate them to PlayStation studios. However it does still mean that they own them and they certainly will have some degree of control over what they do.

Edit: One thing that I just thought of is that they are receiving funds from Sony now that they are owned by them. They mentioned it’s one of the reasons why they are hiring. With that said if Bungie were to become a PlayStation only developer in theory they could still obtain funds from Sony in order to remain operational. Not that I think it’s something that will happen but they have the financial backing of a multibillion dollar company now instead of having to rely on a publisher that doesn’t own them.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned

Can't believe I just read that. Again, it was not up to Sony whether bungie accepted that deal. YOU are really underestimating bungie. They accepted the deal under their terms

Can't believe I just read that. Again, it was not up to Sony whether bungie accepted that deal. YOU are really underestimating bungie. They accepted the deal under their terms

So where is this proof that Bungie demanded being a publisher and to continue making multiplatform games?

I went through all the press releases and didn’t find anything claiming that.

So again where’s your proof or are you just making it up?

Anyways if you truly do have some inside information you really need to get it vetted.

Last edited:

I’m not the one making homophobic references here.

Please keep that out of the discussion.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE: Bungie.

"The first thing to say unequivocally is that Bungie will stay an independent, multiplatform studio and publisher," Ryan said. "Pete [Parsons, Bungie CEO] and I have spoken about many things over recent months, and this was one of the first, and actually easiest and most straightforward, conclusions we reached together.

Unless stated otherwise, this pretty clearly reads like Bungie will continue making content for D2 and beyond in an independent multi-platform fashion like they always have been.

So make of that what you will.

Infamy v1

Bungie is owned by Sony.

You ignore my succinct points because you have no way to spin them so you start talking about...MLB? Hold that L.

I’m not the one making homophobic references here.

Please keep that out of the discussion.

How is that homophobic when I have no way of knowing your gender? That aside, I'd like to see a rational reply to my counterargument. If you have one, that is.

Infamy v1

You still barking?

It's amazing how rent-free I live in your head. You go from constantly "liking" my posts, to leaving low-effort childish retorts since you cannot counter anything I say, to now randomly replying to my other posts. 😂 🤡

Please continue your obsession 😉

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't really get the fan boy stuff tbh. I mean, a console is £350 for PS5 digital and £250 for series s.
Over an 8 year period it really isn't a huge investment to ensure you can play the best games.

I get it when you're a kid and you parents buy you one machine but as you mature then surely it isn't as much as a big deal.

Very well said!
It baffles me. People pay $1000 for flagship phones that they discard after a couple of years, but somehow it’s paying $499/$399/$299 for an 8 year investment that so insurmountable that they have to reach for console wars.

Ozriel

M$FT
Bungie is owned by Sony.

This is incorrect. Under the terms of the deal, Bungie will continue to be multiplatform for the foreseeable future. But that’s not important.

Sony has permanent marketing or branding rights for anything they make. Their games are usually multimillion seller GaaS games, so Sony will make billions in revenue from sales of expansion, retail games, MTX etc. plus Bungie expertise in ensuring the success of Sony’s new, major push for live service games.

They don’t need to get exclusivity for Bungie’s future games. It’s a very solid investment either way.

How is that homophobic when I have no way of knowing your gender? That aside, I'd like to see a rational reply to my counterargument. If you have one, that is.

Could you please redo your comment without the sexual stuff and insults please?

I don’t believe I ever showed you any disrespect and if I have I’m sorry.

Top Bottom