• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Keaton to Play Batman in ‘Batgirl’

ManaByte

Michael Keaton is dusting off his cape and cowl for “Batgirl,” the upcoming HBO Max superhero film.

The actor is expected to reprise his role as Bruce Wayne a.k.a. Batman, the character he originated in Tim Burton’s 1989 film. He will star alongside Leslie Grace, who has been cast as Barbara Gordon, the daughter of Gotham police commissioner Jim Gordon.

For anyone doubting that Keaton, not Affleck, is the DCEU Batman following The Flash; here’s more proof.

plushyp

05TJJ7n.jpg

FunkMiller

Nobody is going to give a shit about this second rate, desperate DCEU multiverse bullshit once The Batman comes out.

Last edited:

GymWolf

So Batman is 70 years old.

The Big Lebowski What GIF by MOODMAN

Seriously WB it is time you get your shit together, you already had a fuckin great Batman

1316834-ben-affleck-dans-la-peau-de-batman.jpeg
Yep, for the level of acting that you see in batgirl, affleck would be the perfect batman, keaton is wasted for that crap.

ManaByte

Why not use him for Batman Beyond...

That's probably what they're building to.

After Batfleck is erased in The Flash, Keaton's Bruce Wayne becomes like Nick Fury to the DCEU bankrolling the Justice League (and forming a new team). Kind of inspired by the Kingdom Come version of Bruce. That's why he's in Batgirl, the idea is for him to show up in a bunch of movies like Nick Fury did in the MCU movies.

SEGA_2012

Yeah ! Best Batman ! Now we just need Devito as Penguin and Jack as Joker !
I HATE Super-Hero movies, but i LOVE Batman 1 and 2!

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I'd actually be excited for this if the show wasn't complete shit. The quality difference between DC and the MCU is just insane. One has taken the world by storm and makes billions upon billions in merchandise and movies basically every 6 months. Meanwhile the other does the industry equivalent of licking windows and drinking glue.

DC should start do ritual sacrifices to see if any of the chaos gods will give them a Kevin Feige of their own.

Last edited:

Doom85

DC simultaneously having 14 different people playing the same character and then wondering why people are more invested in Marvel

Spider Man GIF

Andrew Garfield GIF

Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

Hell, could also add in terms of animated movies:

Spider-Man Movie GIF by Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

And this is regardless if Keaton is meant to be a separate universe Bruce from Affleck’s Bruce, or just him older. General audiences don’t mind, they’re just excited to see a beloved actor in one of their iconic roles again. Same thing happened with Halloween 2018 (and earlier with Halloween H20), most people just wanted to see Laurie fight Michael again, not questioning where it fit in the convoluted continuity.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
uhm...
it's not the first time an old Bruce Wayne is a thing.
Oh I'm totally fine with Keaton playing an older Bruce especially as a mentor, I love that idea !
BUT replacing Batfleck as the main Batman is a terrible mistake imo, he is perfect and I really want to see his story continue

Doom85 Doom85 Are we supposed to act like these Spider-Man are not from movies from 2002 and 2012 respectively? And Marvel isn't putting Tom Holland aside as opposed to WB, they respected them even if I didn't liked NWH I can give this to Marvel.
Meanwhile, Warner Bros is using Keaton to bait people into their new thing, and the worst part is it's working.

Last edited:

Banned
Oh I'm totally fine with Keaton playing an older Bruce especially as a mentor, I love that idea !
BUT replacing Batfleck as the main Batman is a terrible mistake imo, he is perfect and I really want to see his story continue

he isn't replacing anyone I think. these MCU movies often have no real cohesion it seems. Just another movie with yet another new Batman... I mean the new Batman movie isn't even out yet which also has YET ANOTHER different batman actor lol

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
BatGIRL, not Batwoman. The OP even says this is a HBO film, not an already existing CW show.
I knew that. I was just joking Jesus.

Narrator: He did not know that.

Spider Man GIF

Andrew Garfield GIF

Spider-Man Marvel GIF by Nerdist.com

Hell, could also add in terms of animated movies:

Spider-Man Movie GIF by Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

And this is regardless if Keaton is meant to be a separate universe Bruce from Affleck’s Bruce, or just him older. General audiences don’t mind, they’re just excited to see a beloved actor in one of their iconic roles again. Same thing happened with Halloween 2018 (and earlier with Halloween H20), most people just wanted to see Laurie fight Michael again, not questioning where it fit in the convoluted continuity.
That is a very very very bad example. Especially in the face the most recent movie. Also how many years ago did the first Spider-Man movie with Tobey Maguire come out vs the most recent one with Tom Holland?

Now compare that to how many different actors have played characters like The Joker or Batman in just the last handful of years.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Seriously? Wow...

The World GIF
Let's put a bit more fuel: Only Batman Returns is good with Keaton, Batman 89 is so-so and Batman Forever is awful. Clooney's Batman are all bad and have terribly aged and TDKR is a big let down
Batman Begins and TDK are masterpiece and Bale stared into 2 movies for me, I erased TDKR from my memory. I still remember leaving the theater with my sister, both very confused with how bad it was.

fight me lets go GIF

GeekyDad

Let's put a bit more fuel: Only Batman Returns is good with Keaton, Batman 89 is so-so and Batman Forever is awful. Clooney's Batman are all bad and have terribly aged and TDKR is a big let down
Batman Begins and TDK are masterpiece and Bale stared into 2 movies for me, I erased TDKR from my memory. I still remember leaving the theater with my sister, both very confused with how bad it was. ...
I agree with you...mostly. I still love a lot about TDKR, but yeah, there's some cringe as well, and it's too long for my taste. There are moments in it, though, I feel are some of the most moving of the trilogy. Either way, Bale is my favorite Dark Knight to date. I couldn't even bring myself to sit through Affleck as Batman. For starters, it was waaay too soon. And secondly, it was Affleck.

celebrate college football GIF

But back on topic, I still think it's fitting if they bring Keaton back as a mature Wayne.

ManaByte

he isn't replacing anyone I think. these MCU movies often have no real cohesion it seems. Just another movie with yet another new Batman... I mean the new Batman movie isn't even out yet which also has YET ANOTHER different batman actor lol
No he‘s replacing Affleck. The Flash is basically a Flashpoint movie where Barry’s time travelling messes with the multiverse. He ends up I’m the Burtonverse for a while. Affleck is in the beginning of the movie, but at the end Keaton is the Bruce Wayne in the main DCEU universe.

jason10mm

Gold Member
No he‘s replacing Affleck. The Flash is basically a Flashpoint movie where Barry’s time travelling messes with the multiverse. He ends up I’m the Burtonverse for a while. Affleck is in the beginning of the movie, but at the end Keaton is the Bruce Wayne in the main DCEU universe.
What are the odds Keaton is actually Thomas Wayne then rather than '89 batman?

jason10mm

Gold Member
He‘s the 89 Batman. They even have the 89 Batmobile in the trailer.
I dunno, he could be the Flashpoint TW batman, just stylized after Keaton run. That would be pretty genius I think. Plus then we might glimpse a MW joker which would be AMAZE-BALLS!!!

And OMG they get Kim Basinger to play her! Goddamn, I think I just nerdgasamed myself to death :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom