• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Keaton on Returning as Batman: ‘I bet I could go back and nail that mf'r'

ManaByte

The Flash, directed by Andy Muschietti (It), will feature Ezra Miller’s lightning-fast protagonist breaking the rules of physics to crash into various parallel universes, where he’ll encounter different versions of DC heroes, including Keaton’s Batman, as well as Ben Affleck’s.

Keaton was impressed by the script by Birds of Prey writer Christina Hodson, and by Muschietti’s vision, and he was intrigued by the possibility of returning to the character he had helped shape in the public imagination. “Frankly, in the back of my head, I always thought, ‘I bet I could go back and nail that motherfucker,’ ” Keaton says of Batman, a role he walked away from when he didn’t like the script for the 1995 Joel Schumacher movie Batman Forever, which ultimately starred Val Kilmer.

“And so I thought, ‘Well, now that they’re asking me, let me see if I can pull that off.’ ” It took him some time to wrap his head around the parallel-universe concept, however. “I had to read it more than three times to go, ‘Wait, how does this work?’ ” Keaton says. “They had to explain that to me several times. By the way, I’m not being arrogant, I hope, about this. I don’t say it like, ‘I’m too groovy.’ I’m stupid. There’s a lot of things I don’t know about. And so, I don’t know, I just kind of figured it out, but this was different. What’s really interesting is how much more I got [Batman] when I went back and did him. I get this on a whole other level now. I totally respect it. I respect what people are trying to make. I never looked at it like, ‘Oh, this is just a silly thing.’ It was not a silly thing when I did Batman. But it has become a giant thing, culturally. It’s iconic. So I have even more respect for it because what do I know? This is a big deal in the world to people. You’ve got to honor that and be respectful of that. Even I go, ‘Jesus, this is huge.’ “

There will be THREE Batmen in theaters next year.

The Batman with Battison in March and then The Flash, with Batfleck in the beginning and Keaton through most of it in November.

mansoor1980

PjaF.gif

dude is for real

Last edited:

ManaByte

I must be out of the loop. I thought Robert Pattinson would be the new Batman?

Different Earths. Battison is Batman on Earth 2. Separate from the main DCEU continuity (like Joker).

The Flash is the same Ezra Miller Flash and it's loosely based on Flashpoint. Affleck is in the beginning of the movie, but then when Flash tries to go back through time the whole parallel universe thing comes into play and he meets Keaton.

Set photos of them filming the end of the movie leaked out and at the end Keaton is there (with Flash and Supergirl), but Affleck isn't.

Last edited:

Keihart

I find his batman (him as batman, not the whole movies) the funniest version after the actual comedic one.
It's so funny seeing batman as this small dude with plastic abs and no real fitness...on second thought, George Clooney had plastic nipples....

On topic, cool interview, very self aware, wouldn't have guessed that tone from the thread tittle.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
They should've made Batman Beyond with Keaton as the old Bruce Wayne and Pattinson as the new young Batman. God I loved the series as a kid, would love to see it on a big screen.

Romulus

I find his batman (him as batman, not the whole movies) the funniest version after the actual comedic one.
It's so funny seeing batman as this small dude with plastic abs and no real fitness...on second thought, George Clooney had plastic nipples....

On topic, cool interview, very self aware, wouldn't have guessed that tone from the thread tittle.

Some of toughest mma fighters on the planet have normal looking bodies or outright dad bods. I get what you're saying though.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Hes like 5'7 isnt he ?

Sorry but for todays cinema he is way too short to be Batman

Ive seen kids taller than his batman

If Morgan Freeman reprise his role it will be funny to see him looking down at batman and says "hi shorty" in freeman voice

Last edited:

ManaByte

Do you know if Keaton will actually be kicking ass in the suit or if it will be more of a Batman Beyond type role?

Well they're using a stunt double in the suit.

But after this movie he's supposed to be like the Kingdom Come Batman assembling a new Justice League.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
God damn, I love this onslaught of Batman in film.
I don't know. Really all of the films were only good due to the co-stars. Nicholson (Joker), Devito (Penguin), Carrey (Riddler), Pfeiffer (Catwoman), Hardy (Bane), Ledger (Joker). And the movies constantly recycled the origin and was basically sort of boring. He has no powers, just a rich guy with gadgets.

Excess

Best Batman: Michael Keaton

Had the best "bat voice". Got the demeanor right by talking very little and appearing stoic. Had the best car (Burton Batmobile).

Best Bruce Wayne: Christian Bale

Had the looks. Played the playboy well. Showed the vulnerable side of Bruce.

I would take Keaton again any day, especially if he could play an old and cynical Batman like from the Dark Knight graphic novel.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I don't know. Really all of the films were only good due to the co-stars. Nicholson (Joker), Devito (Penguin), Carrey (Riddler), Pfeiffer (Catwoman), Hardy (Bane), Ledger (Joker). And the movies constantly recycled the origin and was basically sort of boring. He has no powers, just a rich guy with gadgets.
I think the villains are half the fun of Batman stories, so if they outshine Batman, that’s sort of okay with me. I think “Begins” gave him a great spotlight though.

The movies actually don’t constantly rexycle the origin, it’s only been done twice, other then short flashbacks, which are prudent.
And I like that he is a rich guy with no powers.

That said, I can understand how some people would be tired of him by now. Especially general audiences who don’t connect with the character. Must seem weird.
I just find Batman & Gotham to be endlessly fascinating.

squallheart

Different Earths. Battison is Batman on Earth 2. Separate from the main DCEU continuity (like Joker).

The Flash is the same Ezra Miller Flash and it's loosely based on Flashpoint. Affleck is in the beginning of the movie, but then when Flash tries to go back through time the whole parallel universe thing comes into play and he meets Keaton.

Set photos of them filming the end of the movie leaked out and at the end Keaton is there (with Flash and Supergirl), but Affleck isn't.
Wait that's supergirl wth o.o

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Origin was done in Burton's, Batman Begins, and Batman V Superman. They redo the origin every fucking time.
- Batman Returns
- Batman Forever
- Batman and Robin
- The Dark Knight
- The Dark Knight Rises
- BvS
- Lego Batman
- Justice League
- and Batman 66, if I am feeing cheeky.

every foofin time? Nuh uhhhh :p

(Now, I’m not going to argue for the quality of all those, because that’s a different arguement, but it’s safe to say that every Batman film is not an origin rehash.)

Nah, they don’t constantly cycle the origin. They’ve done it twice, other then some flashbacks.That’s the category BvS would fall into - flashback. It played over the intro credits, my man. Not the hill to die on.
I don’t think covering the origin to that extent is the issue for people who complain about the origin being rehashed. They mean they don’t want to sit though the same story all over. You can take a piss during Batman’s origin in that one.

The other two you named were the two I was referring to in my post above. Bravo.

I’ll also give you Mask of the Phantasm. Though, that movie wasn’t even intended for theaters until very late in the game.
And if you complain about that movie, you have no soul! ;)

Seriously, If anyone haven’t seen Mask of Phantasm, go check it out. One of the best Batman movies, animated or not.

Last edited:
he is much more manly than the vampire kid, that makes more sense to have him as Batman... even if he must be around 150 years old by now.

I think he would be great in a live action Batman Beyond movie as an old and broken down Bruce Wayne mentoring Terry McGinnis to be the next Batman.

I really hope it's still going to be set in a surreal Tim Burton esque world, I miss when mainstream Hollywood would have those type of visuals in a movie, what would that type of world look like in the present day?

Top Bottom