• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael B. Jordan is developing a black Superman project about Val-Zod for HBO Max

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Collider is reporting that Michael B. Jordan is producing his own Superman project for HBO Max through his Outlier Society production company.
Whereas Ta-Nehisi Coates and J.J. Abrams' movie is expected to feature a Black Kal-El in a period setting, this one - likely a lower budgeted project like Batgirl - will put the spotlight on Val-Zod.

An unknown writer is currently hard at work on the screenplay, but Jordan is producing and could even take on the lead role (which would finally mean he suits up as Superman).

The actor previously laughed off claims he'll play Kal-El in the Abrams-produced feature, saying "I’m flattered that people have me in that conversation. It’s definitely a compliment, but I’m just watching on this one."
Many fans were surprised by how dismissive he was at the time, though some context might be found in a recent piece from Black Girl Nerds' Jamie Broadnax.

Her sources revealed that, "Jordan has not wanted to engage in conversations about racebending Kal-El for the same reasons many of the fans are pushing back on the current Warner Bros. re-imagined version of Clark Kent, but that he would be interested in engaging on a Black Superman project centering on the Val-Zod storyline."

Her belief is that it's tone-deaf of Warner Bros. and DC to "racebend a white character and erase Black characters that already exist in the DC universe under the Superman banner - Calvin Ellis and Val-Zod."

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm curious, we already have a very good Superman with Tyler Hoechlin but why not.

Just need to cancel that JJ movie now.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Why is it that race nowadays is the first piece of marketing for movies. Oooof.
Probably because they are out of ideas or not willing to risk introducing new characters, and it is easy to market this to gullible young people who think this movie will be completely different from all the other Superman movies they have done in the past.

If you are young and have a craving for Superman there is already more than 6 movies, but WB will easily sell you on this one being somehow better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dude could definitely play a good Val-Zod and I think he's made it clear that he can build the physique for the role, too.

Banned
"racebend a white character and erase Black characters that already exist in the DC universe under the Superman banner - Calvin Ellis and Val-Zod."

you don't say... the fact that this has to be stated is ridiculous... someone tell JJ

200.gif

Dacon

Banned
I like Val Zod and if this is set on the backdrop of Earth 2 then it could be pretty damn cool.

The other project can take a fucking hike.

Give me a Henry superman turned evil vs a Michael superman becoming the good guy. Beefcake vs beefcake.

Last edited:
WB really tryin to have kids grow up thinking superman is black huh? I was a black kid who grew up loving superman and having superman birthday parties. Collected the comics, watched the movies, the shows, still love the character. Had no problem with any of that even though he didn't look like me.

Dacon

Banned
There’s already a white spawn. Als been dead for over 10 years, he’s the king of hell.

Al has been leading an army of Spawns in a transdimensional war now. James Corrigan hasn't been a Spawn since 2015 and he was never meant to be a "white version" of Al. In fact, in the original storyline, when Al used his powers to shapeshift into a human form, he took James's appearance instead of his old human one. This is because James' soul was a part of the Legion of Lost Souls contained inside Spawn's suit, and when Al committed suicide in defiance he released his soul and it returned to James' comatose body.

James is a completely different Spawn from AL, and if you know anything about Spawn there's been hundreds of Hellspawn throughout history(most notably among the fanbase, the Gunslinger Spawn). White, black, male female. He merely kept AL's seat warm while he was in limbo for 6 years.

Al was in fact, very briefly King of hell, from January 2002 to September 2002. It wasn't anywhere near 10 years.
Dude got exposed for not reading the comics. 🙈

This is the content MBJ should be going for. The race swapping is weak regarding Superman.

More like this dude exposed himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom