• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch Release Date Leaked By Retailer

lachesis

I haven't bought the Prime Trilogy collection on Nintendo E-shop for my Wii U just because of this thread. Well, waited this long... crossing fingers.

Devonshire

Banned
Godammit...I’ve been desperate to see Wind Waker on Switch next.

Still, this is great news if it ever happens.

Last edited:

Barakov

Hd Waiting GIF by MOODMAN
x4EFEzj.png

clem84

Gold Member
If this happens, I wonder what they'll do with prime3's motion controls. Will they leave it all in, or rework them to be played with sticks and buttons, to make the game playable in portable mode.

JaseMath

In a few days it's going to be 2 years since the re-start of MP4's development..

Surely something was done during that time. I'm hoping that the work from the previous team brought something to the table. What not to do, or whatever it is.

So, in a perfect world we should be getting a teaser sooner rather than later...

Because if not this project is likely jinxed.
Rare recently posted a job listing for a boss AI programmer—this was within the last two weeks. Expect Metroid Prime 4 holiday 2023 or later.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Can we perma ban this necro bumper for getting everyone excited? FFS. :(
the office bj novak GIF

In my defence I didn’t check the Date of last post. Also I think this thread was in my recommendation of threads below another thread I was browsing (Nintendo threads). So ehh... sorry. But the message is the same. I’m waiting for it. We’re waiting for it.... forgive me who ever you are. I was only doing it for the GIF bants...

Last edited:
Idc how long MP4 takes, as long as it is good and is able to revive the series. I don’t see why porting the trilogy onto the switch would hurt either.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Rare recently posted a job listing for a boss AI programmer—this was within the last two weeks. Expect Metroid Prime 4 holiday 2023 or later.
You mean Retro, right?

Yeah, all indicates that the development is going slowwwly. There is an air of negativity around this project. Not only was the previous team's work ditched, but also Retro went 5 solid years silent. Which likely means they were in development hell.

Doesn't bode well for Metroid Prime 4.

As far as the Trilogy goes, if they can get Corruption working on a Switch controller, I guess it would make sense to save it for Metroid's 35th anniversary next year.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Same. Waiting for Nintendo to pull its finger out and give us:

Winder Waker HD
Twilight Princess HD
SKyward Sword
OOT and Majoras Mask not less than 30fps or 3DS ports

Pikmin 1 and 2
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Luigi’s Mansion 1 HD
Are your expectations only a bunch of ports ? Did Nintendo set such a low standard on Switch that people don't even wish for new games anymore ? :messenger_neutral:

Here are some real expectations, for example :
- a new 2D Mario game that offers a new, long awaited art direction for the series
- Metroid Prime 4 ! We might get this someday, incredible !
- a new Golden Sun game that looks and play as well as the old ones or Shining Force, and looks fantastic (means game has a real budget and time, but no shitty cinematic story-telling, we want proper games)
- a new F-Zero game that runs at least at 1080p@60fps made by SEGA
- new games that I don't even know I want, and that will be awesome !
- a new Earthbound in full 3D
- a Kirby 3D platformer with worlds to explore and many secrets
- an HD Zelda game with textures and dungeons !

Last edited:

Fredrik

all indicates that the development is going slowwwly. There is an air of negativity around this project. Not only was the previous team's work ditched, but also Retro went 5 solid years silent. Which likely means they were in development hell.

Doesn't bode well for Metroid Prime 4.
Yeah this has been a weird project from day 1. Announced 2017, restarted for not reaching Nintendo standards in 2019, and now it sounds like they’re just doing the ground work based on job listings.

I wanted a Super Metroid Returns, I thought that was what Retro was doing, would’ve been the perfect fit. But apparently not, otherwise we would’ve seen that by now. It’s weird that nobody knows what they’ve been doing since Tropical Freeze.

Last edited:
Yeah this has been a weird project from day 1. Announced 2017, restarted for not reaching Nintendo standards in 2019, and now it sounds like they’re just doing the ground work based on job listings.

I wanted a Super Metroid Returns, I thought that was what Retro was doing, would’ve been the perfect fit. But apparently not, otherwise we would’ve seen that by now. It’s weird that nobody knows what they’ve been doing since Tropical Freeze.
They must have had at least 2 projects canned during the time. Of course there was the rumored Star Fox racing game, but who knows if that was for real. Pretty sad to see such a talented.studio sidelined for so long.

I'm assuming at this point MP4 is still at least 2 years off, probably 3. On one hand I'm glad Nintendo had the nuts to cancel a game that had been in development for years, but damn,how long was the original version in development before cutting it? At least 2 years. Between this and the incredibly lackluster first party offerings from Nintendo this year it makes me wonder if their project magement just sucks

Kokoloko85

Are your expectations only a bunch of ports ? Did Nintendo set such a low standard on Switch that people don't even wish for new games anymore ? :messenger_neutral:

- a new 2D Mario game that offers a new, long awaited art direction for the series
- a new Golden Sun game that looks and play as well as the old ones or Shining Force, and looks fantastic (means game has a real budget and time, but no shitty cinematic story-telling, we want proper games)

No thats just the start lol And so I can retire my Gamecube and Wii U.

Id love a new AAA Nintendo IP game not called Mario, Zelda or Metroid and all the things you’ve mentioned.

Shining force 3 is my favourite game of all time so its a crime to keep that team and Hiroyuki Takahashi
making Mario sports games.....
I loved Golden Sun 1 and 2 so a sequel would be amazing.
Same with Earthbound
Id like a 3D Donkey Kong and Kirby too

Oh I forgot one of my dream titles is a huuuge Pikmin 4 game. Make it open galaxy metroidvania or whatever you wanna call it, just give me loads of it Lol
Id like to see Eternal Darkness and Hybrid heaven type games too from Nintendo or even sequels

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife

You just made me realize how disappointed I am with my Switch.

The catalog on offer itselft it's nice, lot's of great games that play great like Zelda, Mario, Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveler and a lot of lesser but really fun indie titles.

The sad thing is that it could and should be much better, just if Nintendo made some new games for once like the ones you listed.

Not to mention all the games at 540p/30fps with frame dips. Holy fuck.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

The catalog on offer itselft it's nice, lot's of great games that play great like Zelda, Mario, Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveler and a lot of lesser but really fun indie titles.

The sad thing is that it could and should be much better, just if Nintendo made some new games for once like the ones you listed.

Bro SMT5 will change everything. (I hope)

Fredrik

I'm assuming at this point MP4 is still at least 2 years off, probably 3. On one hand I'm glad Nintendo had the nuts to cancel a game that had been in development for years, but damn,how long was the original version in development before cutting it? At least 2 years. Between this and the incredibly lackluster first party offerings from Nintendo this year it makes me wonder if their project magement just sucks
To be honest I’m guessing they’re ramping up everything for Switch 2. A first person shooter on original Switch will look like crap compared to everything else in 2 years. At that time it should be a good time to have pulled the plug already and be way off building for the future, imo.

Woopah

To be honest I’m guessing they’re ramping up everything for Switch 2. A first person shooter on original Switch will look like crap compared to everything else in 2 years. At that time it should be a good time to have pulled the plug already and be way off building for the future, imo.
They'll be a revision next year but I don't think it'll be a Switch 2, or at least it won't have any meaningful exclusives that can't run on the original Switch.

I'd expect Nintendo to focus on the Switch for at least another three years.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It's inevitable. Nintendo barely releases any new games, since they know they don't really need to put in any effort, and instead has been releasing all these previous gen "remasters".
The internal teams are still working on something. I don't think they're on vacation all year long.. So, I highly doubt all of their developers have only been working on remasters all this time.

We will see the fruits of their labor some day. Something is being done.

Unless there is some serious problems with the teams, which I assume is the case with Retro..

Last edited:

Royal-Slime

Banned
Great news! I wish Other M would get a port, too but oh well.

I hope Nintendo will port most of their important games, especially those that utilize nunchucks and Wii U gamepad.

Moogle11

Banned
They'll be a revision next year but I don't think it'll be a Switch 2, or at least it won't have any meaningful exclusives that can't run on the original Switch.

I'd expect Nintendo to focus on the Switch for at least another three years.
Agreed. But also agree with the person you quoted that Metroid Prime 4 will likely be a launch window title for it at that point as I think it’s that far off. I think an enhanced version of BOTW2 will be the big launch game for the Switch Pro or whatever it’s called next year and they can have stuff like a new Mario, Fire Emblem etc for the other years in between.

Shaqazooloo

I kinda don't want to play this now since Nintendo has been slow cranking this game for years.
Its barely been 2 years since they restarted development..

Edit: Just realized you're talking about the trilogy which is even sillier since that's just been an unconfirmed rumor.

Last edited:

Woopah

It's inevitable. Nintendo barely releases any new games, since they know they don't really need to put in any effort, and instead has been releasing all these previous gen "remasters".
2020 has been pretty shit from Nintendo but 2021 is looking a lot better. Right now they seem to be alternating between one really really strong year (2017 and 2019) and one mediocre year (2018 and 2020).

One good sign is that we're seeing third party support from Japan get stronger and stronger, so hopefully in future they will be able to fill in the gaps when Nintendo has a mediocre year.
Agreed. But also agree with the person you quoted that Metroid Prime 4 will likely be a launch window title for it at that point as I think it’s that far off. I think an enhanced version of BOTW2 will be the big launch game for the Switch Pro or whatever it’s called next year and they can have stuff like a new Mario, Fire Emblem etc for the other years in between.
Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think it will come holiday 2022, so at least a few months before the successor

kiphalfton

2020 has been pretty shit from Nintendo but 2021 is looking a lot better. Right now they seem to be alternating between one really really strong year (2017 and 2019) and one mediocre year (2018 and 2020).

One good sign is that we're seeing third party support from Japan get stronger and stronger, so hopefully in future they will be able to fill in the gaps when Nintendo has a mediocre year.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I think it will come holiday 2022, so at least a few months before the successor

I would buy a switch, however, only if Nintendo were to release it as a home console with no mobile functionality. I really think going mobile has held it back, power wise, and besides for somebody like me I really couldn't care less about mobility in the first place.

On a side note, if Nintendo were to release a home console with a pro controller, I wonder if that would be about on par cost wise with the regular switch? You wouldn't need the dock or the tablet, as all the components would be housed in an enclosure.

fart town usa

Gold Member
If you really think that Nintendo will take the time to bring the Prime Trilogy over the Switch.....have you played the Mario 3D All-Stars collection?? lol

Woopah

I would buy a switch, however, only if Nintendo were to release it as a home console with no mobile functionality. I really think going mobile has held it back, power wise, and besides for somebody like me I really couldn't care less about mobility in the first place.

On a side note, if Nintendo were to release a home console with a pro controller, I wonder if that would be about on par cost wise with the regular switch? You wouldn't need the dock or the tablet, as all the components would be housed in an enclosure.

I can see that coming much later, but not anytime soon. The flexibility and portability of the Switch is one of it's biggest selling points, though with that flexibility comes an inevitable lack of power.

What is it about the lack of power that bothers you? Games will still be made with the base Switch in mind so the general graphics won't improve that much, but the revision coming next year is rumoured to be more powerful and offer DLSS, so framerates and resolutions should be much better.

TexMex

If you really think that Nintendo will take the time to bring the Prime Trilogy over the Switch.....have you played the Mario 3D All-Stars collection?? lol

I don't think anyone is under the delusion that this would be a full blown remake. Just asking for the Trilogy that already exists to be on Switch.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I don't think anyone is under the delusion that this would be a full blown remake. Just asking for the Trilogy that already exists to be on Switch.
I should have elaborated.

The Prime Trilogy were never huge sellers. The Mario games are big sellers and Nintendo couldn't be bothered to release something with the quality that those games deserved. I just don't see them putting the time/money into MP Trilogy for Switch when it likely wouldn't hit the numbers that Nintendo wants.

Which is exactly why I plan on buying the Prime Trilogy for the Wii U next week, ha. I saw this thread yesterday, didn't realize it was old, and I thought "SHIT, Nintendo is gonna pull the Prime Trilogy from the Wii U eShop!" lol.

kiphalfton

I can see that coming much later, but not anytime soon. The flexibility and portability of the Switch is one of it's biggest selling points, though with that flexibility comes an inevitable lack of power.

What is it about the lack of power that bothers you? Games will still be made with the base Switch in mind so the general graphics won't improve that much, but the revision coming next year is rumoured to be more powerful and offer DLSS, so framerates and resolutions should be much better.

I can play most the games using Dolphin or CEMU (since most switch games are Gamecube, Wii, or Wii U ports), and have them run better and at higher resolution. The biggest drawback with that is the process involved (it's not super difficult but still more work than booting a console up and inserting the cartridge), so unless a new Nintendo home console (i.e. Switch Pro) comes out that would allow me to play the games with similar performance as on PC it's a hard sell to get me to get a regular switch.

Last edited:

Woopah

I can play most the games using Dolphin or CEMU (since most switch games are Gamecube, Wii, or Wii U ports), and have them run better and at higher resolution. The biggest drawback with that is the process involved (it's not super difficult but still more work than booting a console up and inserting the cartridge), so unless a new Nintendo home console (i.e. Switch Pro) comes out that would allow me to play the games with similar performance as on PC it's a hard sell to get me to get a regular switch.
Switch Pro will be more powerful than the regular one but how much more powerful we don't know. I do expect it to be a hybrid, so I don't see you getting a Nintendo dedicated home console anytime soon I'm afraid.

Kamina

Golden Boy
I have no hope for this game for 2021 either.
Lets at least hope a Trilogy HD for Switch will come out,

Top Bottom