• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy Switch Release Date Leaked By Retailer

GamerEDM

Banned
An online Swedish retailer leaks what is the potential release date for the long-rumored Metroid Prime Trilogy Nintendo Switch port.
Dalton CooperMay 24, 2020
8IELUE0.jpg

Metroid Prime Trilogy leaked for the Nintendo Switch years ago through the online Swedish retailer Inet. Fast-forward to 2020, and Inet has leaked Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch yet again, this time with a release date.

According to Inet, the Metroid Prime Trilogy release date is June 19. On one hand, that seems way too soon, but on the other, it's not completely out of the question. June 19 is a Friday (video games tend to launch on Tuesdays and Fridays), and it's possible that Nintendo is only planning on a digital release for the game. It's also worth pointing out that Nintendo was rumored to be hosting a big Nintendo Direct presentation in June in place of E3, so maybe Metroid Prime Trilogy was set to be one of the show's reveals.

RELATED: Paper Mario: The Origami King Trailer References Other Nintendo Franchises

It's also worth pointing out that Nintendo has long been rumored to be porting Metroid Prime Trilogy to the Switch. The game would help fill the gap while players wait for the long-in-development Metroid Prime 4 from Retro Studios, and also give Switch owners something to play during the normally dry summer months. Of course, it's also possible that Nintendo had intended on releasing Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch on June 19, but those plans were pushed back along with its June Nintendo Direct.

All of this is just speculation at this time and it's entirely possible that Nintendo doesn't plan on bringing Metroid Prime Trilogy to Switch at all. However, that would be surprising, as Nintendo has been porting all kinds of classic games to the Switch to bolster its library, and while it's true that this effort has mainly included Wii U games, there's no reason why Nintendo couldn't do the same for Wii games as well.

In fact, one of Wii's most celebrated games, Xenoblade Chronicles, is getting an enhanced Switch port soon. It's unclear if Metroid Prime Trilogy on Switchwould be a straight port or also have some enhancements, but if the June 19 release date is real, then fans shouldn't have to wait too much longer to find out.

In the meantime, there's also rumors about a new 2D Metroid game for Switch, so fans of Nintendo's science-fiction franchise may have a lot to look forward to this year.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is available now for Wii and is rumored to be in development for Switch.
fWR7vcc.jpg

Last edited:

The Shepard

I only ever played and completed the first one and it was excellent so been eager for this remaster. Hopefully they add a more modern control system along with the lock on.

Wonder what they'll do with the 3rd one as I'm sure it's a wii mote game, will it be tv only using the joycons, hopefully not.

jaysius

Banned
Include Other M or it's not even worth talking about. /s

My Switch is gathering dust, this could possibly bring me back. Providing Nintendo isn't super fucking greedy and ask $80 Canadian($60 USD) for 3 older games, that probably haven't aged as great as nostalgia tricks me into remembering.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
I only ever played and completed the first one and it was excellent so been eager for this remaster. Hopefully they add a more modern control system along with the lock on.

Wonder what they'll do with the 3rd one as I'm sure it's a wii mote game, will it be tv only using the joycons, hopefully not.
Does it play differently than 1 and 2? When I first played the Wii Trilogy release, I didn't enjoy the game that much until I made the game play more like the Gamecube version. Never got round to 3, though.

Last edited:

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
It's the same placeholder as before (published December 4th 2018). It also states it's only a rumor, and the item is unlisted. And why would they list it at all if it's digital only?

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'll buy a Switch for this.

Bring me back into the fold Nintendo. Take my money.

etroid Prime Trilogy is available now for Wii and is rumored to be in development for Switch.

The game is already done according to multiple sources. It just sits there, waiting for something to be done with it. Why Nintendo hasn't released it yet is anyone's guess, but the lack of Metroid on Switch is unsettling.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The Wii U Wii VC port was a perfect price. I wonder what they’ll price it at. $59.99 USD seems a bit high.

All three amazing games? With texture work and general upgrades for HD? I know this isn’t what you want to hear, lol, but I’d be surprised if Nintendo let it go for less than $60.

LnWQxIW.jpg

Amusingly enough, you seem to need an other m there, E EightBit Man

Do I really need to replay these games for a 4th time?

Yes. Yes I do.

There's too many awesome games hitting Switch this year though.

There's no way I'll have finished the XC remaster by then if this is true, and it's only a month after that Ghosts of Tsushima and Paper Mario release.

The Shepard

Does it play differently than 1 and 2? When I first played the Wii Trilogy release, I didn't enjoy the game that much until I made the game play more like the Gamecube version. Never got round to 3, though.

3 used motion controls as it was a wii game, don't think you can use standard controls. Not a fan of motion controls and I'm hoping you can use the sticks instead.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
3 used motion controls as it was a wii game, don't think you can use standard controls. Not a fan of motion controls and I'm hoping you can use the sticks instead.
As long as you can fully lock on and not have to lock and then also free aim a locked but moving target it will be fine. If the motion controls in 3 are just button presses replaced with motion for the sake of using motion, I'm sure changing that won't be much fuss.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
If anyone is hoping for a remaster then I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that's never been hinted at that being the case with this long rumoured port.

If it does exist it'll be a basic upres and nothing more.

Kuranghi

As long as you can fully lock on and not have to lock and then also free aim a locked but moving target it will be fine. If the motion controls in 3 are just button presses replaced with motion for the sake of using motion, I'm sure changing that won't be much fuss.

Maybe I misunderstand your post but in MP3 on Wii you could choose between having it be a hard aim lock and a camera lock with free aim in the settings. So I think both were there, the latter was called Pro controls I think. Hopefully that makes it easier to have both motion and stick controls, as I think I prefer sticks overall. They had to de-emphasize side-hopping as a tactic in MP3 because of the way the controls were changed over MP1 & MP2... and I liked doing that!

Kuranghi

If anyone is hoping for a remaster then I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that's never been hinted at that being the case with this long rumoured port.

If it does exist it'll be a basic upres and nothing more.
honestly would just be happy with straight ports.

I hope they at least restore the screen effects that were missing in the MP Trilogy versions of 1 & 2 over the original releases on gamecube. Plus fix the aspect ratio of the elevator cutscenes.

Some of the things that make me love that game were missing such as reflections and steam-fogging [condensation] on the visor + the ice beam frosting-over effect when you charge it. Maybe some of these made it in but I know a lot are missing :( Here's hoping they restore them in the Switch version🤞

Obviously first time players don't miss something they never knew was there but I really think those things add to the world/character in a great way.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Maybe I misunderstand your post but in MP3 on Wii you could choose between having it be a hard aim lock and a camera lock with free aim in the settings. So I think both were there, the latter was called Pro controls I think. Hopefully that makes it easier to have both motion and stick controls, as I think I prefer sticks overall. They had to de-emphasize side-hopping as a tactic in MP3 because of the way the controls were changed over MP1 & MP2... and I liked doing that!
Sounds about right, I think they just retrofitted 3's controls into 1 and 2 on Wii. That'll be fine on stick.

Honest question, are these games any good? I never owned a Wii, had friends that did but I know they all talk about this. I just saw another motion controlled FPS so i have no clue what type of game it is.

Matsuchezz

I just got to play the first one and it was really good, and I always wanted to play the rest of the trilogy and the game that was produced by Tecmo with Itagaki, are the rest of the trilogy as good as the first one?

Last edited:
I just got to play the first one and it was really good, and I always wanted to play the rest of the trilogy and the game that was produced by Tecmo with Itagaki, are the rest of the trilogy as good as the first one?

The first one is IMO the best, but the others are REALLY good as well. The second one in particular there are days I like it more than the first.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No it wasn't.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
yeah i only ever played the first one. it's really incredible how they nailed the feeling of Super Metroid in a 3D space.

would absolutely love a chance to play a remaster

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
All I want to know is if they put in the work to make it feel right and look better.

Proper widescreen support is a must. As well as the controls tweaked and 3 needs to be completely reworked.

I want to believe but I feel like they are going to do the work.

Top Bottom