• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD And Super Metroid Remake Rumored For Switch

Omali

I expected this when they announced Metroid Prime 4 to be honest. When Metroid Prime 3 came out on the Wii Nintendo brought the prior two games with it. By the time they put out Metroid Prime 4 a sizable amount of the Switch's userbase won't have been alive when the prior games came out.

Ristifer

Ah yes. The monthly Prime Trilogy rumour. It's the reason I want to buy a Switch eventually, but NIntendo just won't let the cat out of the bag.

As for Super Metroid, don't even bother touching it.

Bakkus

Sounds like the user is just making a prediction and hoping it sticks. Just like Rogers and Dale were known for doing.
maxresdefault.jpg
There must have been a shitton of similar posts for other VC games aswell. Were any of them also screencapped? (I have seen the water guy, btw)

ChuyMasta

Omg why must I be turtored like this!?

Alright, alright. Yes Prime trilogy please. Again, Super Metroid remastered ot whatever can be an unlockable on the glorious trilogy....just, release something damn it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
As I've said in other thread, there's absolutely no need in making HD remakes (Samus Returs style) of SNES and GBA games cuz they're timless and will look amazing 10000 years from now. I'd much rather play completely new game or if they absolutely can't help themselves.... SNES and GBA games remastered with pixel perfect pucture and native full HD / 4K support but with the same art, same engine, same everything else. In other words - get rid of 4:3 and make original games work in 16:9 without negative effects of any kind.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt for the look of Samus Returns. They made it on trash hardware.

Cancel Prime 4 and put all that money into the Super Metroid remake. It’s about 1,000,000x more important.

Prime was great. Liked all of them really. Only thing I dislike in hindsight is all the scanning. I’ve learned to hate the Prime and Arkham overlay in games over the years, it ruins the presentation completely.

Ps - Bloodborne is the best Metroidvania since super. Yeah, better than Prime too.

PPS - Fusion was awesome.

Last edited:

Hosam6xavi

Banned
I don't know if it's old or not, but retro applications for hiring jobs right now on nintendo website is saying

" Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. "

Last edited:

Shifty

Ps - Bloodborne is the best Metroidvania since super. Yeah, better than Prime too.
And in what way is Bloodborne a Metroidvania? 🤔

I wouldn't consider gradually going crazy in order to perceive otherworldly horrors a proper analog to the long-form abilities-are-keys design that defines the genre.

Saruhashi

Banned
Metroid-prime-trilogy.jpg

According to LeakyPandy, there’s not just one game planned before Prime 4 but actually two. They say that over the next two fiscal years Nintendo will finally release a HD version of Metroid Prime Trilogy as well as a remake of Super Metroid in the style and scope of Samus Returns.

LeakyPanda is a hit and miss. Got stuff right before and wrong too. Hopefully this time its right

To be fair here, Metroid Prime Trilogy has been rumored for so long that Nintendo would literally have time to respond to the first rumors by actually making/remastering/porting the game.

It's the same old problem with Nintendo predictions where they only have a few big franchises anyway so you can throw out predictions with a decent chance of being right. I hear there are rumors of a new Mario game and a new Zelda...

Even Samus Returns was over 2 years ago now so it's kind of not that much of a huge prediction to say they will do another 2D Metroid remake.

Especially with Metroid prime 4 being a known thing.

RPGCrazied

How many times are we going to hear rumors about Metroid Prime Trilogy HD? At this point if it doesn't happen we should all be mad at Nintendo. I do have the Wii version so doesn't bother me as much but would love to see these in high def and widescreen.

IKSTUGA

It's a crime against humanity that there are no Metroid games on the Switch (nes, snes online don't count...). I'm very much hoping that these rumors are true. Super Metroid doesn't really need a remake, but I'll certainly take it, if they've chosen to make one.

VertigoOA

Banned
And in what way is Bloodborne a Metroidvania? 🤔

I wouldn't consider gradually going crazy in order to perceive otherworldly horrors a proper analog to the long-form abilities-are-keys design that defines the genre.

Interconnected level design. Shorcuts. Optional boss. It’s very much a Metroidvania with how it feels. People call them souls-games because of the meaty combat but Bloodborne is 100% the best modern day Metroidvania.

I don't know if it's old or not, but retro applications for hiring jobs right now on nintendo website is saying

I wouldnt be surprised if Metroid Prime 4 skipped the switch altogether. I’m fine with it... I’d only come back to a Nintendo machine for Prime 4 or the super remake.

The original announcement was shit from the beginning. Giving it to some amateur hour trash developer at Bandai Namco was the dumbest idea ever. Namco is one of the shittiest game companies today aside from ace combat and tekken... they make throwaway anime adaptation garbage.

“From the makers of One Piece! Metroid Prime 4!” - fuck outta here

Last edited:
If we get a Super Metroid remake, the one thing I hope they wouldn't change are the jump physics and the way the wall jumps work. The fusion/zero mission/samus returns style jumping feels too cookie cutter. It never felt right to me.

If Mercury Steam were to make it I would be cool with it. I think Samus Returns was overall a damn good game. The main thing (other than the jumping) that bothered me is the over reliance on the counter attack. Almost every enemy encounter started to feel like a super shallow version of punch out. The original Metroid 2 is easily my least favorite of the mainline series so I give them props for what they did with a mediocre game to start with.

MP trilogy, ya we all know it's coming. My guess is it drops early summer/late spring 2020 to fill a gap. Hopefully they modify MP3 to where it can be played in handheld mode

Personally, I would rather see Metroid 5.

I'm surprised we haven't yet seen a Super Mario 64 remake for the Switch. I thought the Nintendo DS version was pretty decent but I just can't see it being the only remake and it's already pretty old.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Personally, I would rather see Metroid 5.

I'm surprised we haven't yet seen a Super Mario 64 remake for the Switch. I thought the Nintendo DS version was pretty decent but I just can't see it being the only remake and it's already pretty old.

Mario 64 DS is now almost twice as old as Mario 64 was when Mario 64 DS came out...man.

Smasher89

Wouldnt be suprised at all if ut comes true.
This year had a drought of first party aaa games(especially first 5-6 months)and not too much info about late q1 next year unless animal crossing is supposed to take that big title spot.

Links awakening made to fill time until botw 2. I could see any of the titles being remade for creating space for prime 4.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
Of course there will be. Nintendos cocaine bucket is getting low so they will shit out yet another game from one of their franchises they have been milking for decades with very little that's actually new. And since they can't seem to figure out how to make a new metroid they will just redo the old ones.

I mean I like Nintendo but jesus all they do is make gimmicks, license products, and keep reusing the same old stuff over and over and over again. The rare time they do something new it is quickly abandoned and forgotten.

If they did this I think I'd be excited at first and want it. But then realize I already played them, look at my backlog of new games I need to play and then not get it. My switch is ok but the only things I'd played much is Mario odyssey and links awakening since I never did play it before.

Samus Returns was awful. I hope they do better.

The controls were dogshit. Especially having to hold one button down to aim and another to fire a split second before a timed jump during a boss fight on that God awful 3ds button layout. I quit that shit at the 2nd boss and never touched it again. It was terrible for me to play.

Hairball

Neo Member
Hey given the trend to remake everything on the Switch, it wouldn't be too bad as long as MP4 is still coming.

VertigoOA

Banned
Its nice to be on a forum where users don’t try to pretend as if gyro and motion controls aren’t garbage gimmicks — that are rightfully dead now. The IR sensor worked tho, won’t hate on that but only really Prime 3 used it right from Nintendo themselves.

Yes, all that shit sucked. Thankfully that’s not much an issue with the switch anymore.

Nintendo needs to port and remaster games. The switch doesn’t have the software. Nor does it even have the Nintendo software aside from the usual suspects each generation.

It’s still the best platform they’ve put out since the GameCube even if I couldn’t give a shit about it post BotW.

I will always come back for Metroid tho. I even enjoyed Other M a good deal. I checked out at Samus Returns tho. Never liked Metroid II to begin with.

Super Metroid however will always be in the discussion for greatest game of all time.

I remember in probably late 90s or early 2000s EGM had put out a list of the best games of all time and Super Metroid was rightfully in the number one spot, which was ironic because they even pointed out they originally reviewed it around 80% or whatever their metric was.

I still want to see Sakamoto as director. I still like that there’s two Metroid universes. Prime only keeps the first game canon ... it’s kinda like Godzilla. I don’t want to see that change.

and that’s dangerous in itself as well... because Other M was great until the Zero Suit Samus End sequence. Also shame on him for not making hard difficulty unlocked from the beginning if not the default setting because that definitely improved the game. The original Metroid was dark souls before dark souls... except you memorized the map.

Fusion was a worthy sequel. It was different And still was Metroid.

Last edited:

CuNi

Going to be really hard to go back to regular single stick Gamecube controls after the Wii re-release with pointer controls.

Either way, insta-buy.

I actually loved the GC Controls way more than the Wii ones.
Only reason I skipped MP3 WERE the Wii-Controls.
I wonder how they would incorporate that into Pad-Controls though.
Didn't Prime 3 have some heavy Motion-Elements in it?

VertigoOA

Banned
The ir sensor in Prime trilogy for Wii U and Prime 3 were great. It was reliable. The motion controls in Prime 3 were not. They were definitely just tacked on for switches and nothing of note.

The c-stick in the first two being beam swaps could be changed to an item wheel. I totally expect the ports to have proper dual analog shooter controls.

Developers were mostly confused on which way to go with shooter controls early in that gen.

Last edited:

Doom85

UcO1SGZ.jpg

But seriously, it would be super cool, and Link's Awakening's remake came out of nowhere so it could be possible. But yeah, Nintendo would have to be ultra idiotic to not make it a priority to get the Trilogy on Switch before 4 arrives. Same thing with No More Heroes 1 and 2 before 3 arrives.

Maestr0

Stop, STOP !!!! I'm already drooling to the thought that MPT HD may be true so a remake a Super Metroid will just be the end of me xD

BTW I see your lol iconmaster. Scoff all you want, but holding down the shoulder button IMO became super annoying when holding onto rails, having to rely on the d-pad for diagonals because the shoulder button was no longer dedicated to easy diagonal aiming. Double whammy.

VertigoOA

Banned
I really hope the Switch 2 model enhances older games. Metroid Prime Trilogy HD at 720p would be... lies.

Its bullshit China has the best version:messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

OrochiJR

That rumor is too good to be true. Nintendo first would have to remember that Samus is not a character they created for Smash.

noqtic

I would honestly rather have a REMAKE of Metroid Prime on a more powerful console.

Nothing has managed to take my breath away like stepping out onto Tallon IV for the first time.

mcjmetroid

I would honestly rather have a REMAKE of Metroid Prime on a more powerful console.

Nothing has managed to take my breath away like stepping out onto Tallon IV for the first time.

I think the game is perfect as it is especially the first one all I want is for it to be 1080P with a few texture cleanups here and there, perhaps more control setup choices for those that want it.
The game still looks amazing in the Dolphin emulator to me.

JimboJones

hEbqhX4.jpg

Some Orange lighting on the DS4 to match the mood, would be cool if you could get it to change depending on weapon lol

vwTGXEe.jpg

Top Bottom