• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD And Super Metroid Remake Rumored For Switch

Mista

Banned
Metroid-prime-trilogy.jpg

According to LeakyPandy, there’s not just one game planned before Prime 4 but actually two. They say that over the next two fiscal years Nintendo will finally release a HD version of Metroid Prime Trilogy as well as a remake of Super Metroid in the style and scope of Samus Returns.

LeakyPanda is a hit and miss. Got stuff right before and wrong too. Hopefully this time its right

Davey Cakes

Super Metroid HD would be incredible. As long as it’s mostly completely unchanged. No updated mechanics. Don’t touch the fucking gameplay with modern handholding bullshit
To be honest you're probably asking too much.

HD Remakes like that aren't just made to appease the existing fanbase. They're also there to bring in new audiences. If Super Metroid HD exists then it will definitely add in some "QoL" elements, such as optional tutorials/hints.

Last edited:

DerFuggler

Wasn't Metroid Prime packed in with the Nvidia Shield in China? Isn't the Switch's hardware very similar to the Shield? Have they been sitting on this port for over a year now?

VertigoOA

Banned
Wall-jumping was fine. They oversimplified it with the remake of the first game and fusion. Same thing with Mario games post 64...

If they butcher it with the toy artstyle they’ve been using ...

please don’t butcher it

Last edited:

garballax

sounds far too good to be true. i'll believe it when i see it. on the optimistic side, it'd be a great reveal at TGAs.

JimboJones

Wall jumping is one of those things that should be simple though.
I'm not playing Metroid for the obtuse controls it's the atmosphere, back tracking with upgrades and exploring .

iconmaster

Banned
No updated mechanics.

I would not be against the Zero Mission mechanic of holding down a shoulder button to temporarily activate missiles.

If there is a Super Metroid remake in the works, I just hope like hell they keep Mercury Steam away from it. What a piece of garbage the Return of Samus remake was.

Wow. I love that game. Played through it three times, would buy it again for Switch.

Samus Returns was awful. I hope they do better.

giphy.gif

if it's the same peeps behind Samus Returns it should be in safe hands

giphy.gif

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Level design was bad, with enemies poping at the last moment right in your face, and precision aiming never was the focus of Metroid to begin with. They obviously missed the core elements of what makes Metroid good. I have zero confidence in Mercury Steam for such game.

And I am tired of remakes all year long. Can't they fund a proper new entry like Fusion, that actually adds to the lore, adds power-ups, takes some risks ? No they can't, because Nintendon't.

Last edited:
Samus Returns was a good game, but the reason why it got so many changes and tweaks was because it was such a primitive game, a given being that it was a GameBoy game. Super Metroid on the other hand? Wouldn't change a thing when it comes to gameplay. Here's hoping they don't add TOO much extra shit.

Last edited:

Paltheos

If there is a Super Metroid remake in the works, I just hope like hell they keep Mercury Steam away from it. What a piece of garbage the Return of Samus remake was.

Garbage is too strong but it's weaker than the fan remake AM2R imo. Mid-low range title in the series imo.

JimiNutz

Banned
Awesome news if true but I have doubts.

If true then I hope they don't do a lazy job porting Prime Trilogy to Switch. I'd like to see significant graphical upgrades and maybe even changes to the control scheme. Do it right.

Last edited:

Mato

I'm not sure if I want to see an SM remake with 3d graphics similar to Samus Returns. I'd rather they used high quality sprites. But I doubt that will happen. But they absolutely need to update some of the mechanics. The moving sand in Maridia is terrible. I always get frustrated and drop the game every time I try to replay it from start.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Awesome news if true but I have doubts.

If true then I hope they don't do a lazy job porting Prime Trilogy to Switch. I'd like to see significant graphical upgrades and maybe even changes to the control scheme.

Weapon swap would need a rework for the first two games. Weapons upgrades stacked like Metroid proper in Prime 3 I believe, don’t remember too well.

I see no reason to not have a modern dual analog setup this time. They can still keep the lock-on regardless.

a pixel art version is out of the question but with the right visual style they could recreate the original look.

Super Metroid is the best game that ever had the Nintendo label on it. You dont need to update a thing.

Only game I’d like to see remastered In some form. Easily played it close to 100x

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
As long as that doesn't mean Prime (4) got into more dev trouble and further delays...

Playing old games is nice and all, I was just doing Prime in RetroArch, but yeah, new stuff pls. Don't have a Switch, just saying, it will be cool to see too.

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Metroid Prime Trillogy HD has been rumored since forever. Nintendo tends to sit on ports like these for a rainy day. NSMB U Deluxe had been done since mid-2018, but they didn't bother releasing it until this year.

JCK75

I really hope it's true this time, I really don't want to go back to the Wii/WiiU to play my trilogy set again.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Hey bro we’ve also been talking about this since yesterday in our Nintendo rumor thread if you want to join us there too!

SuperGooey

Why would Super Metroid need a remake? Did anyone ask for this?

An HD collection of the Prime games on the other hand would be wonderful.

The first game I bought on the Wii U eShop was Metroid Prime Trilogy, that is a classic and if they can do a great job porting it to the Switch, they'll have a winner.

chaseroni

I would pay a pretty penny to see Metroid Prime trilogy on switch. Native resolution and proper widescreen while maintaining 60fps, maybe even updating for traditional fps controls somehow. I feel like it will fall short on one of those but damn, what a dream come true if that happens.

Barakov

Never played Metroid Prime 3 because I don't like waggle. I'd also like to revisit the first two games so I'm in for that. Super Metroid is the one I'm skeptical of. I feel that one is an all time classic and shouldn't touched. But if they can do a remake akin to Zero Mission then I'd be interested.

I enjoyed Return of Samus for what it was but I'd rather Nintendo do the remake in house.

ROMhack

Would love to see the SNES one remastered and given the chibi Link's Awakening graphics :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
Remaking Super Metroid’s soundtrack is going to be ... oh boy.

it has to be one of the all time most coveted game soundtracks. The amount of fanmixes is endless.

The best thing would be to play it “safe” and do orchestrated reworks.

Still best game ever. I almost don’t want to see them even try... because whoever it is.... they will fail.

Last edited:

nkarafo

Remaking Super Metroid’s soundtrack is going to be ... oh boy.

it has to be one of the all time most coveted game soundtracks. The amount of fanmixes is endless.
If they are going to remake the soundtrack i hope they only improve sound quality (which is bad in the original). Fanmixes suck 99% of the time.

A high fidelity version of the original soundtrack is something i always wanted ever since i played the game first time in 1994.

A reimagining of Super Metroid would have to, at the very least, be on the level of a REmake to be taken positively by Metroid fans. Even that may not be enough. There are a ton of things that make it what it is, and changing or "modernizing" any of it would be seen as catastrophic to them, I feel. Being a huge Super Metroid Stan myself, I just can't see how they get this done while still getting it to be accepted. This has nothing to do with the rest of the planet, who will just see a great game and jump in as they should.

Of course, we will all still play it, even if we complain about the minutiae.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Ehh, considering the source, I have my doubts about a Super Metroid remake. And MP Trilogy on Switch is basically the worst kept secret in the games industry, so it's too safe of a bet to give LeakyPussy or whatever their name is any benefit of the doubt.

RScrewed

Going to be really hard to go back to regular single stick Gamecube controls after the Wii re-release with pointer controls.

Either way, insta-buy.

ExpandKong

Banned
I think Mercury Steam did an okay enough job with Samus Returns. Would rather they continue the story that Fusion got going but lol

Here's hoping they don't add TOO much extra shit.

Get ready for 50 new Ridley boss fights!

• Metal Ridley
  • Meta Ridley
  • Perfect Ridley
  • SSGSS Ridley
  • Goo-idley
  • Absolut Ridley
  • Ridley ZERO
  • Baby Ridley
  • The controversial Nazi Ridley
  • Notorious RID
  • and dozens more

Top Bottom