• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread is 15 years in the making, and MercurySteam's big second chance after they bombed the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Trilogy

tassletine

After playing Super Metroid for the first time in my 34 years of life just recently, I look at the Dread videos and they feel like something is missing. I can't describe what it is, maybe it's because it's 3D instead of 2D but it just feels off.
One you have played, one you haven't. That tends to have a pretty big impact on how a game feels.

martino

FUCK Beat me to it!! ahahah

And Lords of Shadow 1 was a legitimately great game. The worst you can say about it is perhaps it is a GOW clone.
Clearly
the DA and music give us an ambiance highly rated for me and the gameplay was good enough.
But then there is the sequel....the incomprehension was complete...how can you go from this jewel to this mediocrity even where the strength were.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Loving this game. Shame so many people just hate on Mercury Steam because the internet tells them too
No the INTERNET didn’t tell me shit.
I didn’t like their stuff at all. It was mediocre at best.

i didn’t want them to touch metroid or anything nintendo related after samus returns.

then “they” (made dread) and actual good game.

i would love to know who joined them after Returns..Because it makes no sense at all.🤣

Senhua Senhua Dread’s pacing is basically perfection. The way they guide you through dread’s map is clever. How and when and what they try to learn the player without text boxes only happens in the very best nintendo titles.. It’s a great example of good gamedesign. And on top of that the bossfights are such a joy. A lot better then most indies. And easily worth the money.

Last edited:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
i would love to know who joined them after Returns..Because it makes no sense at all.🤣
It's the same creative director (José Luis Márquez), the same programming director (Alfonso Valladolid Ferrández), the same level design lead (Arturo Sánchez Eiras). Many of the artists, designers, and programmers are the same too.

Apologize to each one and tell them they did a great job now.
samuel l jackson gun GIF by The Good Films

SantaC

I dont get it guys. Metroid Dread turned out to be a GREAT game, widely recognised as an outstanding Metroid by reviewers and olayers, and still, I don't see people here coming back to this thread and saying "oooops, I was wrong".

Qhy the hell would Mercury Steam deserve to be treated so badly? They clearly don't, at least not this time.
Nah it is still shit imo. A 6/10 at best.

Spukc

It's the same creative director (José Luis Márquez), the same programming director (Alfonso Valladolid Ferrández), the same level design lead (Arturo Sánchez Eiras). Many of the artists, designers, and programmers are the same too.

Apologize to each one and tell them they did a great job now.
samuel l jackson gun GIF by The Good Films
play both samus returns and dread.

bullshit they didn't get fresh talent.

BULL SHIT

Spukc

Debatable. AM2R feels really amateurish at times. Neither remake managed to recapture the original game’s feeling and atmosphere, anyway.

Now that’s one mediocre, derivative game.
Nope it can stand next to his other work. The only thing that might annoy some people is the artstyle. I love my metroidvania's and i 100% this game 3 times and bought it on 3 platforms.
To nobody's surprise they are working on a sequel.

AM2R flat out plays better, Even if you don't actually like 2.

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
play both samus returns and dread.

bullshit they didn't get fresh talent.

BULL SHIT
Of course they had fresh talent, but they didn't hold any lead roles. (don't mean to discredit them)

I'm just pointing out that the same people who disappointed you with Returns managed to win you over with Dread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Of course they had fresh talent, but they didn't hold any lead roles. (don't mean to discredit them)

I'm just pointing out that the same people who disappointed you with Returns managed to win you over with Dread. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Clearly they learned their lessons and Nintendo likely worked with them in a far closer way than previous games. It paid off.

Only found out Mercury Steam made this when the reviews came out. Lord knows we can't trust first party Nintendo reviews. Still waiting on unbiased impression. Hopefully it's good. If I can pry the Switch away from my wife I'll give it a shot.

Bragr

Banned
Only found out Mercury Steam made this when the reviews came out. Lord knows we can't trust first party Nintendo reviews. Still waiting on unbiased impression. Hopefully it's good. If I can pry the Switch away from my wife I'll give it a shot.
Let me guess, she's into Animal Crossing?

No the INTERNET didn’t tell me shit.
I didn’t like their stuff at all. It was mediocre at best.

i didn’t want them to touch metroid or anything nintendo related after samus returns.

then “they” (made dread) and actual good game.

Senhua Senhua Dread’s pacing is basically perfection. The way they guide you through dread’s map is clever. How and when and what they try to learn the player without text boxes only happens in the very best nintendo titles.. It’s a great example of good gamedesign. And on top of that the bossfights are such a joy. A lot better then most indies. And easily worth the money.
It's like the developer learn from their mistakes the last game and improved the new one, you know like most developers don't learn.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Also, when you’re under financial limitations from the publisher, there’s maybe only so much you can do, even if the team is capable of more. I highly doubt Nintendo had a big allowance for Samus returns comparatively to Dread. It’s the same reason Platinum games has a few chinks in their armour from the movie franchise games, get something made, for cheap.

It’s almost always a question of money, talent can only get you so far.

I mean imagine working as a developer for the clusterfuck called Konami and then have your reputation tarnished for it? Even Kojima the god had to divert money away from them for his projects and this is why the relationship ended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom