• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread is 15 years in the making, and MercurySteam's big second chance after they bombed the Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Trilogy

Bragr

Banned
Metroid Dread was planned as Metroid Fusion's sequel 15 years ago and was destined as the end to the main Metroid arch that concerns Samus versus Metroids.

The Metroid head kingpin, Yoshio Sakamoto, tried to get the game off the ground, but the Nintendo DS struggled to support his vision. Development was canceled several times as the prototypes for Metroid Dread never became what they needed to be, it never become what Sakamoto wanted. Over the following years, rumors of Metroid Dread flew around, speculating that it was either canceled or about to release very soon, folks were jonesing for a new 2D Metroid but it never came to be. Eventually, the name died out and it became just another title that never came to pass.

Fast forward to 2014, MercurySteam, a Spanish developer tasked with making a new Castlevania trilogy for Konami had just released Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, the third game in the Lords of Shadow trilogy. The game was mediocre at best and sold like fucking shit. It bombed like hell. It was especially disappointing considering the first two games were well received and liked by fans.

After the failure of Lords of Shadow 2, MercurySteam somehow got into talks with Nintendo to remake Metroid Fusion. However, it didn't fly, Nintendo didn't buy it and they were rejected. But Sakamoto saw their love and passion for Metroid and gave them a chance to work together with Nintendo to develop a remake of Samus returns. In 2017, Samus Returns comes out, it's a big success, people love it. Nintendo's trust in MercurySteam grows, MercurySteam gets the go-ahead to develop the infamous Metroid Dread, the game Nintendo tried to make so many years ago.

And here we are, a few days away from MercurySteam's biggest console title since the original Lords of Shadow, and finally, for Metroid Dread to see the light of day.

Mr Hyde

Metroid Dread is going to be a huge hit, mark my words. Nintendo is flexing it left and right, even promoting it with new OLED model. Maybe Ninty is picking up MercurySteam as a first party developer similar to Next Level Games, given the big success of Luigi's Mansion 3?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Metroid Dread is going to be a huge hit, mark my words. Nintendo is flexing it left and right, even promoting it with new OLED model. Maybe Ninty is picking up MercurySteam as a first party developer similar to Next Level Games, given the big success of Luigi's Mansion 3?
The game is obviously gonna be a success yeah, but people are worried by the quality.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I’d take an educated guess that Nintendo followed the development of Dread a bit more closely than Konami followed that of the Lords of Shadow game. Remember what the devs at Retro Studios said about the development of the Prime games - Nintendo would chime in to tell them to move a single crate in a room, stuff like that.

Then again, Federation Force was released knowing very well it wouldn’t go down well with fans, and Samus Returns felt pretty formulaic. It was a good game, but with a few hiccups and too much recycled stuff (like, Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns music again? Really?). So everything is possible.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
After playing Super Metroid for the first time in my 34 years of life just recently, I look at the Dread videos and they feel like something is missing. I can't describe what it is, maybe it's because it's 3D instead of 2D but it just feels off.
Mario is missing.
Super Mario Nintendo GIF

catvonpee

I they they did the best they could when having to deal with Konami. I wouldn't say that the people calling the shots at Konami are hardcore gamers or even rational by any stretch of the imagination. They just wanted to make as much money as possible while spending as little resources as possible.

SantaC

Metroid Dread was planned as Metroid Fusion's sequel 15 years ago and was destined as the end to the main Metroid arch that concerns Samus versus Metroids.

The Metroid head kingpin, Yoshio Sakamoto, tried to get the game off the ground, but the Nintendo DS struggled to support his vision. Development was canceled several times as the prototypes for Metroid Dread never became what they needed to be, it never become what Sakamoto wanted. Over the following years, rumors of Metroid Dread flew around, speculating that it was either canceled or about to release very soon, folks were jonesing for a new 2D Metroid but it never came to be. Eventually, the name died out and it became just another title that never came to pass.

Fast forward to 2014, MercurySteam, a Spanish developer tasked with making a new Castlevania trilogy for Konami had just released Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, the third game in the Lords of Shadow trilogy. The game was mediocre at best and sold like fucking shit. It bombed like hell. It was especially disappointing considering the first two games were well received and liked by fans.

After the failure of Lords of Shadow 2, MercurySteam somehow got into talks with Nintendo to remake Metroid Fusion. However, it didn't fly, Nintendo didn't buy it and they were rejected. But Sakamoto saw their love and passion for Metroid and gave them a chance to work together with Nintendo to develop a remake of Samus returns. In 2017, Samus Returns comes out, it's a big success, people love it. Nintendo's trust in MercurySteam grows, MercurySteam gets the go-ahead to develop the infamous Metroid Dread, the game Nintendo tried to make so many years ago.

And here we are, a few days away from MercurySteam's biggest console title since the original Lords of Shadow, and finally, for Metroid Dread to see the light of day.
Too bad nintendo didnt reject them.

Astral Dog

The game is obviously gonna be a success yeah, but people are worried by the quality.
No doubt Dread IS gonna be high quality, the difference with Castlevania is that MS had zero direction, Konami simply let them do as they pleased even with the first game, managment problems made LoS2 what it was. Samus Returns, while far from perfect was a big step in the right direction making a traditional Metroid game on the limited 3DS(and a remake of the weakest 2d Metroid) and they learned a ton working with Nintendo's supervision. Its really a joint effort.

Dread already adresses most of the issues Samus Returns had, lack of enemy variety, graphics, 60fps framerate, an actual story, new soundtrack etc. We just need to play the actual result but it looks fantastic 👌 the team has alot of talent

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Another difference is the Mercury Steam is co developing with freakin Nintendo EPD.
Yep, some guys will bring Other M, but that was another project with very different goals. basically an awkward attempt to get casual gamers on the Wii, Dread is gonna be awesome and the first traditional 2D Metroid since Fusion(but also a sequel to Samus Returns) .its in good hands.

But anyways, we don't have to wait long now, reviews are coming soon and i think Gaffers will be surprised 😁

S0ULZB0URNE

PSA

Rare sucked without Nintendo

When you take an already talented dev like Mercury Steam and pair them with Nintendo EPD, you're destined to have a great game.

Nintendo magic rubs off on those they they work with.
Konami and them put out a excellent game.
Microsoft and them put out excellent games.

That "magic" Konami is known for as well.

Last edited:

Xellos

Their Castlevania games had the disadvantage of being nothing like previous Castlevania games. They're sticking close to the template with Metroid and Samus Returns was a good first effort.

Nintendo is probably giving them much better direction/support than Konami did.

Astral Dog

I’d take an educated guess that Nintendo followed the development of Dread a bit more closely than Konami followed that of the Lords of Shadow game. Remember what the devs at Retro Studios said about the development of the Prime games - Nintendo would chime in to tell them to move a single crate in a room, stuff like that.

Then again, Federation Force was released knowing very well it wouldn’t go down well with fans, and Samus Returns felt pretty formulaic. It was a good game, but with a few hiccups and too much recycled stuff (like, Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns music again? Really?). So everything is possible.
Samus Returns was still well recieved and a success for what it was, a low budget late 3DS release to prepare MercurySteam for Metroid Dread.

And nobody gives a shit about Federation Force that was another team entirely with no relation to Samus Returns and Dread

Little Mac

Gold Member
Some of you actually think Nintendo is going to let Mercury Steam fuck this up? Remember when Metroid Prime was announced and people shit a brick because Retro was at the helm and it was first person perspective? Everyone said it would suck and it ended up being one of my top 3 games of all times!!!!

Believe Jason Sudeikis GIF by Apple TV

Now all i need is a switch.

Last edited:

yurinka

Nintendo hired Mercury Steam because they made the best selling ever Castlevania game.
Nintendo got happy with that first Metroid, so gave them this second Metroid which will become the best selling ever Metroid game.

Last edited:

fersnake

After playing Super Metroid for the first time in my 34 years of life just recently, I look at the Dread videos and they feel like something is missing. I can't describe what it is, maybe it's because it's 3D instead of 2D but it just feels off.
yep probably but this is the closest we're gonna get from Nintendo. if you play super metroid u got chils everytime.

S0ULZB0URNE

I wonder if it scores better than MS best offering?

Shut0wen

Mercurysteam has been proven they are great developers, jericho at its time was an ok budget shooter and castlevania LOS was unreal, even with kojima name on it he literally did nothing but pick how bellmont looked but even to this day it was great game, the 2nd game i havnt played but from reading what went on behind the scenes was that dave cox become cocky as fuck believing he was amazing at his job and plus the development splitting into 2 teams, i quite liked mirrors of fate tbh would of been amazing if it was given more time, also the metroid 2 remaster was amazing as well, especially with the added ripley fight

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Retro made 2D Donkey Kong but Ninty didnt deem them good enough for 2D Metroid apparently. We'll see if their faith in MS has paid off or not.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Lords of Shadow was sick as hell. They didn't bomb. Reviewers and SOTN fanboys have made their lives hell from the start though. They deserved better.

Is the rumour that you created a Metroid prototype for Wii U and 3DS also bullshit?

Enric Alvarez:
That's more bullshit.

Really?
Enric Alvarez: People have a lot of imagination and time to think about stuff, but that's not necessarily the truth.

So you're saying, categorically, you did not work on a new Metroid prototype for Wii U and 3DS?

Enric Alvarez:
This is exactly what I'm saying.

sudden realization oh i see GIF

Nautilus

Banned
Oh, never thought about it.Yeah, makes sense.It's not like they are doing anything else(as far as we know), and the last time they got this much attention was with Castlevania, and that was a decade ago.

And given how much Nintendo is pushing this, it seems Nintendo has a lot of faith in its quality.

Astral Dog

Retro made 2D Donkey Kong but Ninty didnt deem them good enough for 2D Metroid apparently. We'll see if their faith in MS has paid off or not.
A 2D Metroid by Retro would be pretty awesome, but its NOT because Nintendo thinks Retro Studios (and Tanabe) aren't 'good' enough, Sakamoto and EPD are in charge of the 2D Metroid series and Retro Studios has been busy with Donkey Kong Country, Metroid Prime 4 and god knows what else(Prime 1 remake?).

This schedule lets them work on multiple Metroid projects at a time and generally works well for them. Retro's time is reserved for other games.

Again right now we have a new Metroid because Sakamoto has been working hard with MercurySteam since 2015, and Tanabe had trouble with Prime 4 until they restarted development in 2018

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
"When you deal with them at a close distance, you understand why they are who they are. I'm not going to lie to you; they are extremely demanding. They require the very best constantly, all the time, and beyond. But it's been a great experience. We've worked in the past with other publishers, with Codemasters, with Konami, and they were very different experiences. We had a great experience with Konami, but Nintendo is another thing. There are many, many Nintendo fans who don't like any other games except for their games. Now I fully understand why that is." - Enric Alvarez

From an interview when they made Samus Returns, on how it is working with Nintendo.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Mercury Steam always struck me as such a curious choice for a partner for Nintendo - I haven’t seen a great output of quality from them, honestly. I really hope Nintendo HEAVILY supervised this and had input from EAD, etc. Unlikely but I still hope this game is great.

Nautilus

Banned
It's just a forum troll meme. Returns was very well received in user scores and the press.
Yeah, never understood the hate either.Metroid has a very weird fanbase that is very hard to please. Its specially weird that they are so defensive when not all metroid games are all that great, when they usually treat like they are. Played Fusion lately and I mean, its a good game, but the compliments stop there. Returns feels like a natural evolution of the franchise that was (mostly) being held back by being a remake/reimagening.

Last edited:
Top Bottom