• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread could already be the series’ best ever seller

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

On Thursday Nintendo confirmed Dread – which released for Nintendo Switch in October – has sold 2.74 million units.

Although public sales data for the entire Metroid series is hard to come by – it is, after all, 35-years-old – no Metroid title has ever been reported to sell more than 3 million units.

The series’ previous best-seller was likely 2002’s Metroid Prime, which developer Retro Studios claimed in 2007 had sold over 2 million units.

Buggy Loop

Deserves so much more than that.

Hope all those PC players bought it like they all claim they did.

Meryl Streep Doubt GIF

They say they do just to not get banned, but really, who are they kidding.

Metroid deserves its break-out moment like Zelda BOTW

Nintendo should make Metroid a third person view shooter RPG, I think that will sell truck loads

CGiRanger

Banned
I thought I remember hearing that Metroid Prime's sales numbers were also made up of the units that were included in Gamecube hardware bundles? I'm not sure if that was ever accurate, but that's also a notable point that some fraction of its sales may have simply been due to that.

Dread of course was fully stand-alone.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I stopped playing after I reached the third map.

Will it get better? its very boring......most of the time you play hide and seek and not alot of thing to do beside running forth and back.

RCU005

I stopped playing after I reached the third map.

Will it get better? its very boring......most of the time you play hide and seek and not alot of thing to do beside running forth and back.

I believe that’s the whole point of the game. You’re supposed to explore the map while looking for new way to access new areas.

I would love a Dead Space-like Metroid. It would work very well, I guess.

lh032

I believe that’s the whole point of the game. You’re supposed to explore the map while looking for new way to access new areas.

I would love a Dead Space-like Metroid. It would work very well, I guess.
i LOVED castlevania, but i could not get into this.

Castlevania seems to be having more "content" and "variety" imo.

Wow, the Metroid games didn’t sell as well as I thought they did. 2 million for Metroid Prime? Alien Isolation sold 4 million and was considered a failure.

Jennings

I'm glad to see the series do so well. If it didn't cost the price of a AAA I'd be all over it, but after playing Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS for less than half the price of the Switch game and not findint it as fun as the Ori games and other things, I think I'll just wait for Prime 4. It's hard to get excited for a Metroidvania when there have been so many ither great ones on sale for 1/6th the price.

My main hope is that this success will blossom into greater Prime games and successes.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Some of the movement puzzles were fun but it was rather disappointing compared to Metroid, Super Metroid or Zero Mission.

Deerock71

I believe I predicted 3 million in the sales thread. Looks like I might be short. And yeah- 3+ million for a tough-as-nails platformer is great!

I'm glad to see the series do so well. If it didn't cost the price of a AAA I'd be all over it, but after playing Metroid Samus Returns on 3DS for less than half the price of the Switch game and not findint it as fun as the Ori games and other things, I think I'll just wait for Prime 4. It's hard to get excited for a Metroidvania when there have been so many ither great ones on sale for 1/6th the price.

My main hope is that this success will blossom into greater Prime games and successes.
I also had the impression that Dread would be similar to the 3DS version of Samus returns before playing it, especially when I saw both games having the same parry mechanic. But that was a mistake on my part, they're not similar.

I found Samus Returns to be good but not great and left it off my top 10 list the year it came out, but Metroid Dread is my GotY for last year.

Fredrik

Best Metroid since Super Metroid, I hope it sell more. It stumbles on one single thing. There is too much exploration hand-holding. Special blocks are shown on map, you don’t have to aim the scanner, and it’s just way too easy to get 100%. But it’s still a 10/10.

daclynk

Metroid is Back baby! all Hail the Queen. Now bring out Prime 1 remake and watch this game even sell more before Prime 4 comes out. 5mil lifetime is the dream.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Lets get real.

Overrated...non of the "retro" YooToobe personalities were able to finish it. No one liked EMMI attack dodge shit.

The game merely sold on Metroid name...

Oops edited some details
The game is hard but it have context for that.
And it's a 2D hardcore game - I saw dozens of people that instantly goes 'NO' and I cannot explain to then just how good the game is without spoiling.

UnNamed

Banned
Overrated.
Not the best Metroid.
Not the best Metroidvania.

EMMIs are fun just for people who love to hammer their balls.
Exploration is pointless 'cause the game is too linear. The game take you by hand from an enhancement to another, backtracking is just for items.
Too much action, little puzzle solving. Not a real flaw, but modern Metroidvanias are better designed.

Doom85

Wow, the Metroid games didn’t sell as well as I thought they did. 2 million for Metroid Prime? Alien Isolation sold 4 million and was considered a failure.

You have to consider the amount of people who would buy the game to begin with. GameCube did not sell many systems so thus its games‘ sales would be affected by it. Switch on the other hand has been doing crazy numbers in system sales, nearly outselling Gamecube’s lifetime sales by five times as much.

I guarantee you, if GameCube had as many buyers as Switch did, Prime 1 would be way ahead of Dread in terms of sales.

Zelda BOTW is also not your 'typical' Zelda game, look how that turned out....Zelda OoT also broke mold from 'typical' Zelda game back then, look at how that turned out
BotW is an open world game with Zelda elements. It’s a good game sure, but it’s arguably not a great Zelda game as the dungeons are overall a bit lackluster. OoT just converted the formula of LttP into 3D, the only thing drastically different is the added dimension, but that didn’t change the gameplay formula like BotW did.

A new Metroid game should have multiple planets or something, but keep the metroidvania level design. Think Prime 3 but each planet has a bigger map than that game. Or something like Jedi Fallen order. Full on open world would cheapen Metroid’s usual tight game design.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nintendo revealed on Tuesday that the Nintendo Switch game, which was released in 2021 to high critical praise, managed to sell 2.9m copies as of March 2022, which likely crowns it as the highest seller in the decades-long series.

Although public sales data for the entire Metroid series is hard to come by – it is, after all, 35-years-old – no Metroid title has ever been reported to sell more than 3 million units. Retro Studios claimed in 2007 that Prime 1 had sold over 2 million units.

Despite achieving the sales milestone, 2.9m is still a conservative sales figure compared to other recent Switch first-party titles such as Kirby: The Forgotten Land (2.1m), Mario Party Superstars (6.88m), and The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD (3.91m).

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I love the game so much I bought it three times- (Digital and Special Edition for me, and a physical copy for my friend.)

It's one of my top three Metroids for sure, and by far has my favorite antagonist and endgame! Samus has never been so awesome ❤️

139.gif

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
Let me know if you played..I got the limited edition myself.
Limited Edition (Still unopened) and three regular physical copies also (both kids wanted it) one kid liked it the other didn't (cannot for the life of me get his ass away from fortnite) I have completed it on Hard multiple times as well. Just a an aside that does not mean you cannot think its overrated just means I think its damn good. Favorite Metroid is still Super, Dread was close to being my game of the year.

lh032

one of the most overrated game I have ever played.

I stopped at map 3, is this game going to get better?
Keep playing hide and seek so far....

tommib

Good numbers for a dark sci-fi hardcore platform-action game with little hand-holding even if I wish it was selling 15 million copies.

I hope Nintendo never drops Metroid because it doesn’t do 10+ million numbers. There are no other games out there with that particular atmosphere. They went dark with Dread and I hope they keep the vibe with Prime 4. At least, don’t go Halo retarded like in Prime 3.

Top Bottom