• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid 25th anniversary Thread: Gaf does what Nintendon't

What happen to this gameboy color metroid game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojaNBuEeJt4

Did nintendo cancel it?

Looks like it was a rather early version of Fusion (even says so in the text). It's even running on a GBA, there.

Frankly, I want them to just say eff it and give us Prime Trilogy as a Nintendo Selects (mmm, chicken...) title or something. Unless, maybe they're planning some sort of re-release for the Wii-U..? Scanning with the tablet would be kinda cool.

SomeDude

Banned
Looks like it was a rather early version of Fusion (even says so in the text). It's even running on a GBA, there.

Frankly, I want them to just say eff it and give us Prime Trilogy as a Nintendo Selects (mmm, chicken...) title or something. Unless, maybe they're planning some sort of re-release for the Wii-U..? Scanning with the tablet would be kinda cool.

After playing retros new donkey kong I would of really liked to seen retro do a 2.5d metroid game.

IrishNinja

i hope no one minds me bumping this thread to talk about Metroid. it's one of my favorites on GAF.

i bought Prime 1 at launch, and like some, i enjoyed it but put it to the side later (prolly for any number of games going on back then), and sat on the opinion that it didn't carry enough from the 2D classics to please me, etc. I finally got Trilogy a while back & committed to seeing it through, and i was quite wrong...but there's lots of threads here about what a masterpiece that game is. I wanna talk about 2.

Prime 2 - speaking generally - gets kinda spoken of as the bastard child, and even here (as ever) it comes off as a love/hate thing. i myself had to be convinced by a few of Metroid-GAF to not skip it and go right to 3, and 24 hours later (92%!), boy am i glad i did - what i find kinda interesting is that on paper, it should be quite loved (assuming you dug Prime 1): it tries some new things, and gets way more complex/intricate with puzzles and level layout in general, while still maintaining high value with the art direction. the trade-off might be the limited # of areas, but again, those 4 main ones are massive and have tons of things strung about them. Knocking the idea of backtracking in a Metroid is also weird for me (it's like saying you don't want to explore in a zelda game...), but i guess i can see where some may've thought making the same map in light/dark felt like recycling. I didn't notice as much due to enemies, puzzles, and what they did to make said environment interesting/oppressive by its very nature, while still giving you a great sense of progression as you can venture further into it...this might sound weird, but there's enough parallels here that, in my mind, Prime 2 is the Twilight Princess of its series. Some didn't like the deviations it made, others didn't seem to get far enough to see the great ones it did (i admit to the game's opening being kinda weak/off-putting for me), some didn't care for the "dark world" bits and the art direction there (emphasis on "oppressive by nature" here), but i think those that stuck with it found a depth the series doesn't always enjoy.

which is to say: it was fantastic, endgame dragging its nuts be damned
man fuck your "THESE NINE KEYS COULD BE ANYWHERE, HERE'S A HINT: ONES IN WATER" also goddamn i forgot how much this gen got me used to checkpoints when final bosses have like 5 phases haha
. I'm amazed this dropped in '04: Torvus and Sky Sanctuary had some areas iconic enough to be remembered next to Brinstar, for me.

Prolly gonna take a break and run through Other M (shut up, i need to see it for myself) then come back and tie up the series. Really looking forward to Corruption now, as well as whenever AM2R finishes.

Top Bottom