• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus Rated For PS5 and Xbox Series, Runs at 4K/60 FPS With Ray-Tracing

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Cool stuff! Perhaps the 60fps makes this more playable! I bought it on sale but had difficulty with idk, the overall feel of movement and aiming which was very offputting. Tried it again some time later but yeah, couldn't get over it. Shame.

I played the first and second back to back while drinking Wodka, for you know, immersion lol. Love the vibe of the games, jank and all <3

I have it on console but ended up getting the PC version too as the aiming was too sluggish and awkward to manage on console. Hopefully 60fps helps.

The RT isn’t bombastic but makes things look much more realistic.

True, but the differences in quality are very minuet compared to image reconstruction. Especially if you run at Quality settings in DLSS.
That's subjective. Some say DLSS has plenty of visible artefacts. Anyways it's not native, period. And I'd say some others (non DLSS) reconstructions tech are starting to be very good, like what Capcom are doing in RE8.

Besides DLSS needs enough dedicated silicon the consoles completey lack. So they still trade power for performance. The tech is not free.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's subjective. Some say DLSS has plenty of visible artefacts. Anyways it's not native, period. And I'd say some others (non DLSS) reconstructions tech are starting to be very good, like what Capcom are doing in RE8.

Besides DLSS needs enough dedicated silicon the consoles completey lack. So they still trade power for performance. The tech is not free.
Of course.

I just wouldn't put image reconstruction on the same playing field as DLSS. We know there is a remarked difference in quality of samples and totally different approaches.

rofif

Banned

To me dlss products the cleanest shimmer free and anti aliased image I've ever seen.
Even compared to taa in death stranding. No pixel crawling, no vegetation shimmering.
And it looks about as sharp or better as native in quality mode... And better performance!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So for clarity - this is a separate game and not a “free update” for owners of previous gen versions?

Not necessarily arguing it should/shouldn’t be free, just curious. The wording in the article seemed fairly ambiguous.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
I'm definitely picking this up for the PS5, I intentionally avoided the game on the PS4 to play it on a more powerful hardware later.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I've been holding off on this game for this update, it's gonna be a wild ride.

More games are doing 4k 60fps with RT, interesting..

Skifi28

I think the devs made the aiming feel like that on purpose, just like aiming in RDR 2, so the game doesn't feel too easy and more "realisic".
Considering it played normaly with a mouse on PC and it wasn't too easy, I don't think there was any intent. They just failed at tuning the controls which combined with 30fps just wasn't pleasant.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So for clarity - this is a separate game and not a “free update” for owners of previous gen versions?

Not necessarily arguing it should/shouldn’t be free, just curious. The wording in the article seemed fairly ambiguous.
its free if you own the game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
How does it compare to the first two IYO
I don’t think it’s as good. But I played the sub-30FPS version of the game on console, so that may have affected things quite substantially.

If you end up playing it, just switch to Russian with English subtitles; English voice acting is horrific

tfw I own the game on Playstation but not on Xbox

Sad GIF

Md Ray

They essentially rewrote the RT code with lots of optimizations on all platforms AND added specific console optimizations on top of that. So comparing console to PC perf (especially the PC perf of the older implementation) is not applicable.

That said we'll have to see how the final version looks in terms of IQ and how it compares to the original PC RT release.
Most likely they rewrote the RT code to add support & optimize for PC users with AMD RT GPUs as well. Win-win.

Kill two birds with one stone.

I'm interested in seeing how AMD vs NVIDIA RT GPUs now perform with this patch.

Last edited:

sendit

Now THAT"S impressive!

I have got to see a comparison on the RT differences between the consoles and the PC and why they needed to do DLSS on the PC.

Why? The outcome will blatantly be obvious on a capable PC.

What i'm interested in is the performance diff between a 12 TF console versus a 10 TF console.

Last edited:

Neys

Neo Member
NextGen-PCEnhanced-EN-Website.png

So based on the image above, no raytraced reflections on consoles ? or maybe some of it under "next-gen raytracing" ? I wish they did raytraced shadows and ambient occlusion too on PC at least.

I've reread their blog and they don't say that 4k on console is reconstructed, but I think it's still is because they talk about temporal reconstruction (next-gen temportal reconstruction technology), so my point is, they could still do a 4k/30 fps mode with at least some reflections for the water where basic ssr implementations do not look good, I get it it's an fps game and playing it @30fps is not ideal, but having the option would be nice.​

Last edited:

Jack Uzi

Banned

What i'm interested in is the performance diff between a 12 TF console versus a 10 TF console.
Look who it is, they want to see if their PC is still more capable than consoles.

VFX after DF analysis:

200.gif

VFXVeteran

Banned

Yea, I'm interested in that as well for sure. Can't wait for the DF analysis on benchmarks.

4A is pretty much a top dog in graphics features because they are always first with the latest achievements. Having said that, I'd like to see what optimization differences they used to keep a 60FPS target on consoles vs. what they are using with the PC.

Last edited:
Considering it played normaly with a mouse on PC and it wasn't too easy, I don't think there was any intent. They just failed at tuning the controls which combined with 30fps just wasn't pleasant.
It definitely played better on PC but it still had weight to it which is on purpose. It's the same with the Killzone games. 60FPS will help with this as the 30 fps combined with the weighty feel compound.

In addition to the PS5 and Xbox Series X support, Xbox Series S will also benefit from 1080p at 60 FPS with ray-tracing just like the other current-generation consoles.
Wow another XSS game with raytracing support. If this keeps up its going to be tough to maintain the narrative that it and the Switch are in the same power category.

dcmk7

Banned
Wow another XSS game with raytracing support. If this keeps up its going to be tough to maintain the narrative that it and the Switch are in the same power category.
Has anyone even said this? :messenger_smirking:

Or are you inventing stuff up again?

Aside from that.. they are a talented studio, did a good job with the Series S version, let's see how it runs.

Has anyone even said this? :messenger_smirking:

Or are you inventing stuff up again?

Aside from that.. they are a talented studio, did a good job with the Series S version, let's see how it runs.
I can't claim the credit for the original comparison. As far as inventing stuff I wasn't the one talking about the system getting worse performance as the generation goes on or that it's holding back gaming blah blah blah. People say such silly things :messenger_winking: . Glad to see the games speak for themselves. I'll leave the alternate reality stuff to you.

dcmk7

Banned
I can't claim the credit for the original comparison. As far as inventing stuff I wasn't the one talking about the system getting worse performance as the generation goes on or that it's holding back gaming blah blah blah. People say such silly things :messenger_winking: . Glad to see the games speak for themselves. I'll leave the alternate reality stuff to you.

Actually, the people who developed this very game were the ones who said that :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

“The RAM is not an issue for us (currently), but GPU performance presents challenges for future titles".

Said by the Chief Technical Officer of 4a studios.

So despite them putting a good version out on Series S, he still thinks it's not going to be good for future games going forward.

Again to clarify, I didn't say it will be worse, an expert of a talented studio said this.

Isn't it about time you stopped making stuff up.. your post kind of backfired huh?

Last edited:
Actually, the people who developed this very game were the ones who said that :messenger_tears_of_joy: .

“The RAM is not an issue for us (currently), but GPU performance presents challenges for future titles".

Said by the Chief Technical Officer of 4a studios.

So despite them putting a good version out on Series S, he still thinks it's not going to be good for future games going forward.

Again to clarify, I didn't say it will be worse, an expert of a talented studio said this.

Isn't it about time you stopped making stuff up.. your post kind of backfired huh?
People here shit on the S constantly.

Top Bottom