• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus |OT| Epic Game!

bati

You do it at a workbench. Select your gas mask and hold 'F' (I think) to repair it.

The game however gets bonus points for randomly preventing you from using workbenches for no reason (can persist for an entire level/chapter lol) and doesn't keep track of its own keybindings, so if you reassigned the use key to something else you'll still see the default keybind but will have to press the new key you assigned).

Aces&Eights

so, anyone find a work-around for the Hamir glitch in Caspian Sea? I've spent more time here jumping and shit than I have playing the entire 1st part of the game. So frustrating to want to keep going only to be held back by some dumb as shit AI standing there looking at me like I'm the idiot.

Flyinmunky

Just completed this. Thought it was fantastic. Was worried as heard about multiple endings and didn't want to look at guide but thankfully i got the good ending. Missed one or two things but did most of the side story and got all upgrades , weapons it seems.

Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the chance to go off and explore a bit.

Impressive Graphics as well (PC 1080ti)

Spoiler Side note... if
Anne had died i think i would have stopped playing:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Ywap

For me personally this game have raised the bar for first person shooters. Playing on PC, ranger difficulty, this is simply the best fps i've ever played.

bati

I gave up on the game once I reached Taiga. The gameplay is so outdated it's not even funny and whoever came up with the stealth sections in this game needs to be barred from ever designing a game again.

Fwiw I played on ranger hardcore and had no problems with difficulty but when I realized I was literally forcing myself to play and try to finish the game I just uninstalled immediately and read up on the ending online. Judging from what I read I saved myself a few hour of standing around and watching the NPC's go on and on and on and fucking on.

The game badly needs an editor (person, not a tool) to fix the pacing and NPC monologues.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I gave up on the game once I reached Taiga. The gameplay is so outdated it's not even funny and whoever came up with the stealth sections in this game needs to be barred from ever designing a game again.

What was so wrong with it? I didn't mind the stealth sections so much.

bati

What was so wrong with it? I didn't mind the stealth sections so much.

Everything. Apart from well done animations the game plays like something from 2003. Completely linear paths through missions, contextual actions for everything instead of leveraging the natural movement of the character, having to wait for NPC's to stop yapping before the next script trigger, having to wait for the NPC's to open the fucking door for you or simply get the fuck out of the doorway, minimal interaction with the environment - besides looting chests and activating contextual actions to traverse the levels there's really nothing else; simplistic AI, binary nature of stealth/enemy alertness, janky movement, etc.

There are some things that game does right too, like injured or surrendering enemies, or the need to take illumination and cleanliness of scopes into account, but that's all on the player end, AI is still tied to a very simple ruleset that ignores most of these mechanics.

The series does its best to present a story to you and they're going to great lengths to hamstring the player at every turn so he doesn't get in the way of that mission.

The fact that their English writing and voice actors make the story seem idiotic is another matter entirely of course. If the game had a proper journal or task tracking or even subtitles for all sections where enemies talk I'd happily use russian voice overs, alas it does not so I'm forced to listen to some random Boris speak in thick unnatural accent that literally makes me want to shoot the fucking character whose mouth this sheer horror is coming from.

Good game, but miles poorer than 2033 and Last Light. Open world doesn't work on a Metro game, could have worked but the unbelievably bland story and forgettable NPCs on each map killed it.

Great graphics, weapon customization was a neat touch that didn't feel too tryhard and the final chapter was super nostalgia.

kizito

Good game, but miles poorer than 2033 and Last Light. Open world doesn't work on a Metro game, could have worked but the unbelievably bland story and forgettable NPCs on each map killed it.

Great graphics, weapon customization was a neat touch that didn't feel too tryhard and the final chapter was super nostalgia.
I wouldn't be as harsh as you with the game, but definitely yes, the game worked better when linear. The semi open world definitely felt useless and the choice in daytime was a bad idea, I played the whole game on day time and would have hoped the devs forced me to play by night. Game is good, but a little bit disappointing after the last episodes. I also couldn't relate to a mute character.

I wouldn't be as harsh as you with the game, but definitely yes, the game worked better when linear. The semi open world definitely felt useless and the choice in daytime was a bad idea, I played the whole game on day time and would have hoped the devs forced me to play by night. Game is good, but a little bit disappointing after the last episodes. I also couldn't relate to a mute character.

I agree with your points as well, particularly on a useless open world. By the time I was about 15 minutes into the desert chapter I decided to play it straight linear style.

I'm super harsh on Metro because it was a series that I went in blind when 2033 came out and was like DAAAAAAMN this is bomb and really started spreading the word of Metro. It's mostly disappointment that has led to some mild rage for Exodus. I actually thought that if anyone could do Metro open world, it would be these devs but turns out, sometimes its better to stick to your bread and butter.

Last edited:

kizito

Just finished the game so I am going to post here my Steam review. Two things mainly made me hate some aspects of the game.

- Big design flaws, like the boss battles which are highly annoying (first bear encounter doesn't make it clear you shouldn't unload everything on him [no spoil, it's in the trailers]), open world had no benefits in this game, muted character feels stupid in most discussions, etc...

- The path to good or bad ending is poorly designed, it's baffling and killed my enjoyment of the game. The game expects you to judge who deserves to live or die based on who the devs thought deserved to live, stripping all your experience from free will or judgement. You want to play your way ? Get punished with the bad ending if they don't like it. I didn't want to play a game that teaches me what it is to be good or bad with such stupid sense of morality : fish cultists are harmless the game said, but they trapped a woman and her kid, their leader is supposedly a rapist or some degenerated pervert, they send everyone they dislike to their death,etc.... Let me goddamn think by myself and don't punish me with bad ending because I think some characters are evil and deserve to die. Some games like Dishonored will offer you two paths that are equally fun, problem is, being stealthy in Metro Exodus is not fun at all, so requiring you to be stealthy in some areas where it is obviously way more fun to go all action is counter-intuitive. I enjoyed my time with this game as an action shooter, but hated it in the same time for its stupid game design decisions.

Denton

The fact that their English writing and voice actors make the story seem idiotic is another matter entirely of course. If the game had a proper journal or task tracking or even subtitles for all sections where enemies talk I'd happily use russian voice overs, alas it does not so I'm forced to listen to some random Boris speak in thick unnatural accent that literally makes me want to shoot the fucking character whose mouth this sheer horror is coming from.

I played with russian VO and czech subtitles and I would say 99.9% of all dialogue in game incl. ambient dialogue was subtitled (after I enabled it in the menu). Russian VO is great, particularly Anna sounds infinitely better and less annoying, and czech translation was brilliant and fitting as well, so I actually ended up really liking the characters significantly more than in previous games.
The diary (accessible on Aurora) was also well written, although I have no idea why it could not be accessed outside Aurora, stupid design decision.
Artyom being mute was also dumb decision obviously.

Last edited:
Installed the game through the new Xbox Gamepass for PC and it looks insanely blurry? It almost looks like DLSS is being forced on, I have the game running at 1440p which is my native resolution but everything has that telltale super blurry look of not being rendered at native resolution. I'm running in DX12 and verified that DLSS is off, but everything is looking extremely blurry. Is this a known bug with the PC version?

Running the game on an RTX 2070 with a Dell 1440p Gsync monitor.

Also, can't seem to find the .cfg file, I guess I have no idea where Microsoft Store games get stored.

So I’m finally playing the game, thanks to PC Game Pass, and it’s great so far. I’ve played for a out 12 hours. The visuals are outstanding.

Only issue I have isn’t with the game itself, but the PC GP version forces DX12. Not a huge deal but I typically always get smoother performance on DX11. Also doesn’t have the in-game benchmark like the EGS version has, not sure why.

Kenpachii

Bought the game as i wanted to push my new setup 9900k and 1080 ti. ( mostly visual talks )

Visuals:

Really demanding game for hardware:

Videocard:

Extremely taxing, i play only on 1080p and even with everything turned on without raytracing i hit dips of low 60's at 0.1% and 80 at 1%. With average of 100 fps. with spikes up to 190 fps.

It eats my GPU for sure as it sits at 99% always.

CPU:

The same goes for the CPU, all cores are used and threads up towards 70%. It's by far the most taxing CPU game out there from what i found out.

Framepacing:

Zero issue's here, framepacing freels extremely smooth and has low ms in general. Really well done on this part.

How the game looks:

All with all, the game looks like a mixed bag tho.

I really felt like i booted up metro 2033 at certain times. The start for example the overview of the area, looks terrible outdated on geometric and holded back big time.

Metro+Exodus+Screenshot+2019.02.15+-+16.23.10.17.png

A good example, just look at the objects, it all looks extremely bad and that comes with ~80 fps on my setup at that scenario. It really feels like this metro 2033 at this point as it hits the same FPS at the start in the closed area with the attacks.

Metro 2033 screenshot of objects:

metro-last-light-1.jpg

Also the character model looks extremely bad for todays age. They should have done some work on those.

The lightning and smoke is something metro always shined big on tho the original 2033 is still drop dead gorgeous because of this ( redux version not so much ). In combination with good animation this time around, the game feels pretty much like a next generation title even while the base of it is nothing more then old metro visuals revamped.

exodus:

giphy.gif

metro 2033:

917466-metro-2033-redux-windows-screenshot-a-light-at-the-end-of.png

1471646571-2195755211.jpg

The game looks absolutely amazing in these instances, however the moment lightning and animations aren't on the screen the game jumps straight back a gen again something what killed metro's visuals with the redux version.

1595109.jpg

The monsters however got a massive upgrade on detail which is surely appriciated as they got a bit of a hit in last light and redux versions in general. The original metro also had really high quality and detail visuals on this front.

However i can't seem to unsee the metro 2033 engine basically with a open world solution. While at times it looks fantastic at other times i got the feeling i am playing something last generation.

Visual settings:

Down right unacceptable.

Barely any visual settings to tune other then stock presets which is really bad. But the most offensive part is that metro in this day of age doesn't have borderless fullscreen windowed setting, makes the game a extremely hard thing to play. I cannot do stuff next towards it which makes my playtimes really short because of it. For devs that originated from PC section. its really disappointed to see this.

Also motion blur not being able to disable completely without ini tweaks is also something that is not really acceptable in any day of age on PC department. It's clear the game is designed for consoles.

Conclusion on visuals:

It's clear its a current gen game, it has the same geometric and holded back by nvidia + consoles as result. The game in my opinion should not have been launched on consoles and should have been pushed PC gear even harder and actually a generation jump forwards. Or wait until the next generation consoles come out and push a more visual jump forwards.

The lightning is all the game is atm with good animations on the visual department. So raytracing isn't helping the PC version as it's not going to push more aggresive detail worlds forwards through performance hit. I was kinda surprised that a 1080 ti would still rock this game at the start of the game at 150 fps on extreme settings. I remember my 580 gtx wouldn't hold even 30 fps in the same area's when it was out and focused on pc with dips as low as 8 fps.

Gameplay:

Really well done here, nothing to complain about. It's great. and the low ms without any frametime spikes makes the game really smooth specially with gsync going on.

Releasing today 5pm UTC. Looks like it will be a larger experience than 2 Colonels which was disappointingly short, about ~3 hrs.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Top Bottom