• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Exodus next Gen Announced PC-SeriesX-PS5 FIGHT!!!

silent head

5Y2lQsa.jpg

i would be wary of the term, "targets 60 fps" which could mean dips to 40 :messenger_grimmacing_

My super uneducated, totally amateur, pulling shit out my ass guess is:

PS5 and XsX will render at around 1200p-1440p and reconstruct from there to 4k for RT/60
XsS will render around 720p and reconstruct from there to 1080p for 4k/RT

Regardless, I am sure it will look amazing on all platforms. PC vs XsX/PS5 comparison will be interesting.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
My super uneducated, totally amateur, pulling shit out my ass guess is:

PS5 and XsX will render at around 1200p-1440p and upscale to 4k for RT/60
XsS will render around 720p and upscale to 1080p for 4k/RT

Regardless, I am sure it will look amazing on all platforms. PC vs XsX/PS5 comparison will be interesting.
the Analyse is going to be a bloodbath.

Shai-Tan

Banned
just happy about dlss 2.0. dlss 1.0 in that game looks horrible. if you want to play with ultra ray tracing in 4k it often dropped into 20s with 2080ti. didn't play through Sam's Story dlc because it performs worse than the base game

vrs in other games gained like less than 10% performance

Some games more, some games less. Dependson the VRS implementation. I believe DF demonstrated that Wolfenstein: Youngblood makes great use of VRS (decent performance gain, no real impact to visuals) while other games (Gears Tactics) had less than stellar VRS.

I believe these devs will squeeze everything they can to make it look and perform as best as possible

Md Ray

Hold up... 🤔

If Series S with RT can do 60fps then PCs with RTX 2080S/3060 Ti/3070 should comfortably be able to do 120+fps at identical settings + RT WITHOUT even needing DLSS. 🤯

Mister Wolf

I don't understand how they can use lower resolution rt gi like they do with reflections. Lighting is lighting. Can you have 1080p lighting in a 1440p game? What?

Maybe not lower the resolution but they can certainly control how my light/color bounces the GI does.

assurdum

Banned
I don't understand how they can use lower resolution rt gi like they do with reflections. Lighting is lighting. Can you have 1080p lighting in a 1440p game? What?
Uh how what? Lighting on console mostly runs at low buffer (1/4 of resolution) from...always?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Finally raytracing lighting. I really want to see it on console .

Out the gate 4A Games and Remedy were the only ones who saw the true potential of the raytracing. Shadow Of The Tomb Raider and Battlefield half assed it with worthless implementations.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Looks like my gpu will need to get upgraded alot sooner. It was outdated when I got it, I just wanted something cheap to get my PC running after I built it.

I have an RX 550.

Let's hope they fix the low resolution textures. They really stick out like a sore thumb to me and drag the overall quality down a lot. More polish and attention to detail!

Kenpachii

Reconstructing 4k from 1080p renderer and using all low details like Control. This is a game that maxed out at Real 4k barelly reaches 60 on a 3090. It runs significantly worse on AMD hardware like a 6800XT. The new consoles being so weak for what they want to achieve (RT and 4k), there no chance for what they say

Metro devs aren't afraid to downgrade there game to make them hit those targets. they did it before with metro 2033 which couldn't run at the same quality as the PC version no gpu performance for that.

Riky

$MSFT
Some games more, some games less. Dependson the VRS implementation. I believe DF demonstrated that Wolfenstein: Youngblood makes great use of VRS (decent performance gain, no real impact to visuals) while other games (Gears Tactics) had less than stellar VRS.

I believe these devs will squeeze everything they can to make it look and perform as best as possible

I think Gears Tactics originally used Tier 1 VRS but was moved to Tier 2 with the Xbox release.
Will be good to see these RDNA2 features coming to fruition on 3rd party games, especially for Series S, 60fps and Ray Tracing on a 4tflop machine is pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Let's hope they fix the low resolution textures. They really stick out like a sore thumb to me and drag the overall quality down a lot. More polish and attention to detail!

They do mention 4k texture pack being added, so hopefully it delivers there

Hold up... 🤔

If Series S with RT can do 60fps then PCs with RTX 2080S/3060 Ti/3070 should comfortably be able to do 120+fps at identical settings + RT WITHOUT even needing DLSS. 🤯

Yeah, kinda makes you wonder. I am very curious to see how it pans out. Perhaps we are looking at another case of "lower than low" settings?

Last edited:
I hope there's no negative changes just to get performance up. See : Metro 2033 vs. Redux.

At least, leave the PC version alone + add the 4k textures, dlss 2 and rt reflections and butcher the consoles if you must lol.

4A games are some of the few that I absolutely only want to play on PC, because they really focus on that platform.

regawdless

Banned
Great news! Just played the first two hours so far. Can't wait to play more, especially with more RT, my 3080 is ready.

Also, curious about the console versions. The game is heavy. The face off will be brutal.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

But reflections are just light bouncing off surfaces?
If they can be lower resolution obviously the global illumination can be lower resolution.
You do know full GI would fire literally unlimited number of rays and they would bounce until all the light lost its energy to be calculated "correctly" because how much light per second do you think hits a surface...........not even offline renderers use unlimited samples.

The number of rays and bounces would control the resolution of the GI.

Two different levels of GI.
Quality_1.jpg

Quality_4.jpg

Rikkori

Consider this: On my 6800 Metro Exodus holds 60 fps at 1080p (Extreme + RTGI at Ultra), but it will be closer to 40ish fps at 1440p. And that's even in base game where it didn't have all the extra emissive properties they added in the DLC. So how are they going to do it while at the same time adding a whole bunch of MORE RT effects? It makes no sense.

There's absolutely no way this game will be above 1080p render res without also nuking other settings to low, like Control did, and going to a lower than possible RT setting on PC.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though, hearing 'next-gen temp. recon. technique' + VRS bodes very well for the overall performance of the game while maintaining a good look.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But reflections are just light bouncing off surfaces?
If they can be lower resolution obviously the global illumination can be lower resolution.
You do know full GI would fire literally unlimited number of rays and they would bounce until all the light lost its energy to be calculated "correctly" because how much light per second do you think hits a surface...........not even offline renderers use unlimited samples.

The number of rays and bounces would control the resolution of the GI.

Two different levels of GI.
Quality_1.jpg

Quality_4.jpg
Right. I expected them to limit the light bounce but the way Alex talked about it, it sounded like they would be doing far more than that.
Uh how what? Lighting on console mostly runs at low buffer (1/4 of resolution) from...always?
Wait, are you telling me lighting on consoles runs at a lower resolution than on PC games? Genuinely curious. I had no idea. Lighting in PC games looks identical to me.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I mean, the RT GI that they have now was already a look inside the future (It looks so natural) so seeing a fully enhanced edition that takes advantage of the hardware? Well yes, go for it. This game is already the next Crysis on PC, so boosting that even further will be worthwhile.

4A is highly skilled in this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

assurdum

Banned
Right. I expected them to limit the light bounce but the way Alex talked about it, it sounded like they would be doing far more than that.

Wait, are you telling me lighting on consoles runs at a lower resolution than on PC games? Genuinely curious. I had no idea. Lighting in PC games looks identical to me.
Yes. Most of times as other graphic effects. Well on pc depending, you can chose in the graphic setting. If I'm not wrong however raytracing GI hardly is full framebuffer even on pc. I'm quite surprised about your shock. That's notorious.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
No reflections though?
I don't get it neither. If it's fully GI raytraced what's the problem? Reflections surface are quite sporadic compared the lighting; what exactly change in perfomance use the same raytracing also for some reflections?

Last edited:

sncvsrtoip

good interview on wccftech
What I can say for sure now is PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X currently run our code at about the same performance and resolution.
As for the NV 3000-series, they are not comparable, they are in different leagues in regards to RT performance. AMD’s hybrid raytracing approach is inherently different in capability, particularly for divergent rays. On the plus side, it is more flexible, and there are myriad (probably not discovered yet) approaches to tailor it to specific needs, which is always a good thing for consoles and ultimately console gamers. At 4A Games, we already do custom traversal, ray-caching, and use direct access to BLAS leaf triangles which would not be possible on PC.
Not sure if we’d go for mesh shaders in the future as we are not that dependent on traditional vertex/primitive/raster processing anymore on recent architectures. Our current frames are only about 10% raster and 90% compute on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. And raster pairs well with async compute.

Last edited:
I'm excited to see this in action. Even with the reconstruction I'm sure it will look amazing. I

I'm sure the comparisons will get some people going but I play games not stare at them 6 inches from my display or zoom 400% into details I'll never notice normally.

Top Bottom