• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Slug; the OG game that launched a franchise

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metal Slug (also known as Metal Slug: Super Vehicle - 001) is an arcade run-and-gun action platformer developed and released by Nazca (released by SNK in Japan) for the Neo Geo on May 24, 1996. Known for its fluid animation and sense of humor, Metal Slug would eventually spawn a franchise, as well as ports for the Neo Geo CD, Saturn (only in Japan on April 4, 1997), and PlayStation (only in Japan on August 7, 1997).

Metal Slug PS1 Review

Despite the annoying loading times Super Vehicle-001: Metal Slug is an enjoyable run 'n' gun title with solid gameplay and a good range of weapons. It's more strategic and slower-paced than some other games in the genre and while I wish it had more variety it's still a fun shooter, especially with two-players.

Metal Slug Saturn Review

SNK didn't fool the world by bringing Metal Slug to the Saturn: the differences with the Neo Geo CD version are almost unnoticeable, and the game is still enjoyable to play despite the fact that it is slightly less fluid. A very good opportunity to discover this excellent title.

Veredict

The Saturn version is an arcade perfect port, which is simply not missing sprites/frames as a result of that added 1MB of memory you need to run it on the system. Playstation version is missing those graphics, as it was not designed to allow for that memory expanding fad from the 90s.

00:00 Intro
00:13 Title Screen Comparison (PSX vs Saturn)
00:32 Attract Mode Comparison (PSX vs Saturn)
01:05 Select Screen Comparison (PSX vs Saturn)
01:14 Loading Screen Comparison (PSX vs Saturn)
01:23 Gameplay Comparison (PSX vs Saturn)
04:08 Outro

Games Featured

Metal Slug (Playstation 1997) Nazca Corporation | Ported by Ukiyotei Company | JP Version
Metal Slug (Sega Saturn 1997) SNK Corporation | JP Version

Clips Featured

メタルスラッグ Stage 1 PSX (ROM Emulated in Retroarch
メタルスラッグ Stage 1 Saturn (ROM Emulated in Retroarch)

I had it on the PS1, really one of the most iconic games here in Morocco. Metal Slug 2 and X were famous for featuring a stage in an Arab setting. I still replay it occasionally on the Neo Geo Mini.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I had the Saturn version and played that, absolutely wonderful game, one of the best ever IMO. I did not like the others as much, although they had their charms and expanded the formula, something is just very soulful about that original one.

Top Bottom