• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Voice Director Teases “New Exciting Stuff”, Hayter and Downes Possibly Involved.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://gamingbolt.com/metal-gear-s...ing-stuff-hayter-and-downes-possibly-involved

Kris Zimmerman (who has been the voice director on all Metal Gear Solid games), Robin Atkin Downes (the voice of Kazuhira Miller), and David Hayter (the voice of Solid Snake and Big Boss), are teasing something “new” and “exciting”, and it’s getting a lot of Metal Gear Solid fans excited.

Downes has been quite active on social media, where he seems to be dropping a number of hints about the thing we all want to believe but won’t allow ourselves to. In one of his tweets, Downes cryptically says, “missions take time to plan”, which is followed by “#StayTuned”. In another tweet, Downes linked to an article on Escapist written by David Hayter about his journey as Solid Snake, with Downes asking, “So what happens to us now?”

Which is where it gets even more interesting. Hayter responded to this tweet, saying “message received”. Along with this, he attached a gif of Michael Corleone’s famous “every time I think I’m out, they pull me back in” from The Godfather Part III. Which definitely seems to be hinting at something

Hayter may have teased something through other avenues as well. While speaking with Escapist during a livestream (around the 57:20 mark), Hayter talked about all the teasing being done by Downes and himself on Twitter, and how Twitter has been “exploding” as a result, before going on to say, “we’ll leave it a mystery for now”.

Another tweet by Downes also might be hinting about stuff related to this announcement (if there even is an announcement). Responding to a tweet by the official account of The Game Awards about which announcements people are hoping to see at the event, Downes said: “Perhaps some of my tweet mates can answer this question for me…” So an announcement in December is on the cards (or maybe, again, I’m reading too much into it).

Additionally, Zimmerman recently put up a tweet that promises “new exciting stuff on the horizon”, asking everyone to stay tuned. By itself, that could mean anything, and doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with Metal Gear, but Downes also recently put up a post on Instagram, a short video clip in which he’s with Zimmerman. Most of it is silly stuff with quotes from Metal Gear games, but it’s accompanied by the “#keptyouwaitinghuh” and “#metalgearsolid”.

Individually, none of these “teases” much all that much, but again, put together, it definitely looks like they’re hinting at something. It’s also worth noting that the 20th North American anniversary of Metal Gear Solid is on October 21. Perhaps it’s nothing at all, but then again, the eternal optimist in me wants to believe it’s Metal Gear Solid 6. Or maybe a Fox Engine remake of Metal Gear Solid 1. Or maybe Chapter 3 of Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (never give up).

tweets

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Is it a teaser for the inevitably shitty, Marvel-ized movie from the director who seriously rubbed me the wrong way talking about the possibility?

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Option 1 - New Smash codecs since Hayter said they didn't take long to do.
Option 2 - Metal Gear 1 and 2 remakes due to Konami shutting down that fan project so they can do their own. (Master Miller was in 2 not 1 however)
Option 3 - Yet another Metal Gear Solid remake

1 and 2 would be good for me.

VulcanRaven

I would like to see Metal Gear (1987) remake or MGS3 remake. Also they could make a game set between MGS1 and MGS2. Hayter needs to come back.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Also they could make a game set between MGS1 and MGS2. Hayter needs to come back.
"With the goal of eradicating all Metal Gear technology, Snake participated in investigating its development across the world, often by illegal means, which Philanthropy then exposed to the public via the Internet. His missions and activities in the group included data collection and various sabotage missions, and were also extremist in nature. During one of these operations in a facility, Snake, along with Otacon, also stole Liquid Snake's corpse, which was kept in cold storage."

Seems a bit silly to end a game with stealing a dead body and have no Metal Gear to fight at the moment. Then again 4 was two old guys beating up and injecting each other so whatever. Your idea is possible but the Metal Gear 1 and 2 remakes are more important to have at the moment. Or something that will explain Big Boss after V and before Metal Gear 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hudo

I don't think that Konami will do a full remake of any Metal Gear Solid game. Maybe a remaster but nothing that would require substantial effort. Konami themselves said that they don't really do "big/AAA projects" anymore.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Option 1 - New Smash codecs since Hayter said they didn't take long to do.
Option 2 - Metal Gear 1 and 2 remakes due to Konami shutting down that fan project so they can do their own. (Master Miller was in 2 not 1 however)
Option 3 - Yet another Metal Gear Solid remake

1 and 2 would be good for me.
I think it’s 1. Whatever it is, it has to include Robin Atkins And Paul Eiding according to the video. I doubt it’s a new game because I don’t see Konami asking Hayter on twitter (via Atkins) to be their way of hiring him. They already got him to do 2 Bomberman characters. Speaking of, I wonder why Quinton didn’t reprise his role as Raiden.

Last edited:

Raynes

It's probably not a new game. Metal Gear movie related or some fan project.

I think it’s 1. Whatever it is, it has to include Robin Atkins And Paul Eiding according to the video. I doubt it’s a new game because I don’t see Konami asking Hayter on twitter (via Atkins) to be their way of hiring him. They already got him to do 2 Bomberman characters. Speaking of, I wonder why Quinton didn’t reprise his role as Raiden.

Snake sounds good, Hayter did a surprisingly good voice. Why did they even bother including Raiden if they can't get his voice. It now sounds like someone completely different? I wonder who the Japanese voices are, considering Japanese Snake is now working for Kojima.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
It's probably not a new game. Metal Gear movie related or some fan project.

Snake sounds good, Hayter did a surprisingly good voice. Why did they even bother including Raiden if they can't get his voice. It now sounds like someone completely different? I wonder who the Japanese voices are, considering Japanese Snake is now working for Kojima.
But it’s not as if he’s exclusive to Kojima Productions. He’s a professional VA that gets hired for numerous roles/gigs.

Raynes

But it’s not as if he’s exclusive to Kojima Productions. He’s a professional VA that gets hired for numerous roles/gigs.

It's not about being exclusive to Kojima. You really think he'd be in Kojima's good books after working on a character that Konami stole off him? Sure work for Konami, but don't help them steal from your current boss. It's better to turn down the pennies Konami throws at you for the pounds Kojima will give you if you stay in his good books.

Edit: Looks like they did manage to get Snakes Japanese voice actor.

Last edited:

Paracelsus

If Sony was smart and Konami liked money, they would sell the rights to make MGS games to Sony. Not the IP entirely so they can still make their godawful pachinko machines and arcade "games", I mean proper console efforts. I don't expect Sony to be smart and Konami to like money.

If Sony was smart and Konami liked money, they would sell the rights to make MGS games to Sony. Not the IP entirely so they can still make their godawful pachinko machines and arcade "games", I mean proper console efforts. I don't expect Sony to be smart and Konami to like money.

Not just MGS but Silent Hill and Castlevania as well.

Sony grafting those in as first party Playstation titles, even if they don't own the IPs outright, would make a lot of sense.

nowhat

Bluepoint is working on "their largest project yet", that is not an original game, and looking at their open positions, many are art/animation related, suggesting a full remake instead of just a remaster (although in the case of Bluepoint, even those receive far more attention than some of the low-effort cash grabs we've seen this gen). So...?

(seriously though, I just want to know what Bluepoint is up to, they've been very tight-lipped about whatever they are doing)

VulcanRaven

"With the goal of eradicating all Metal Gear technology, Snake participated in investigating its development across the world, often by illegal means, which Philanthropy then exposed to the public via the Internet. His missions and activities in the group included data collection and various sabotage missions, and were also extremist in nature. During one of these operations in a facility, Snake, along with Otacon, also stole Liquid Snake's corpse, which was kept in cold storage."

Seems a bit silly to end a game with stealing a dead body and have no Metal Gear to fight at the moment. Then again 4 was two old guys beating up and injecting each other so whatever. Your idea is possible but the Metal Gear 1 and 2 remakes are more important to have at the moment. Or something that will explain Big Boss after V and before Metal Gear 1.
They could just retcon the story a bit like Kojima always did. Maybe the targets of some of those sabotage missions were Metal Gears that we haven't heard about.

Last edited:
I think a good direction to take the series in would be to make a "Ghost Babel" type game.

What I mean by that is that Ghost Babel was an alternate continuity sequel to the original Metal Gear, what if they did a sequel like that to.... Metal Gear Solid?

As much as I love the craziness of Sons of Liberty it was a missed opportunity not to make a more down to Earth sequel where we just play as Snake.

They've already done something like that with Survive, so why not a non-crap game this time?

Last edited:

Paracelsus

Not just MGS but Silent Hill and Castlevania as well.

Sony grafting those in as first party Playstation titles, even if they don't own the IPs outright, would make a lot of sense.

One would argue "yes but multi brings more monies" but it doesn't when you stop making games altogether.

One would argue "yes but multi brings more monies" but it doesn't when you stop making games altogether.

Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill are two brands heavily associated with Playstation anyway, so I could see why Sony would want them.

Not so much Castlevania, although SOTN was PS1 and now the re-release is a PS4 exclusive, so it's gt enough of a Playstation connection.

I wouldn't be too shocked if something like that is in the works tbh.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Bluepoint is working on "their largest project yet", that is not an original game, and looking at their open positions, many are art/animation related, suggesting a full remake instead of just a remaster (although in the case of Bluepoint, even those receive far more attention than some of the low-effort cash grabs we've seen this gen). So...?

(seriously though, I just want to know what Bluepoint is up to, they've been very tight-lipped about whatever they are doing)
I was hoping for a Bluepoint metal gear game remake when the rumors started. But then they put up a job description, asking for artists with experience with armor and weapons. It sounds more Souls than Metal Gear I’m afraid.

So I’m reading these comments below mine and... Konami is not giving up their IPs that make them money in video games. They may not develop games under these franchises, but they will always publish them. No one stole anything from Kojima. Solid Snake and Metal Gear are properties of Konami. It’s as if saying, “Marvel stole Spider-Man from Steve Ditko” (even though Jack Kirby designed the character). And most importantly, Kojima Productions can always develop a new Metal Gear, with Konami publishing it. That is, if both parties agree. It’s no different than when Platinum developed Revengeance and Konami published it.

Last edited:
I always expected at the least that if Konami likes money and wants to get more out of their MGS V investment, they'd have the sense to make a Phantom Pain sequel that mostly focused on the general open world free roam of building Mother Base -- perhaps this time in 2 new countries, with Venom sending resources to South Africa to help build Outer Heaven. Very MGS V and Peace Walker esque, maybe even mostly MGS V Chapter 2 esque. Very free roam and FOB grind-y.

I'm not saying that's optimal, mind you, but that I would have thought Konami would at least do that. Then again, they did make MG Survive. Which I guess technically does 'hit' the same notes I expected of them.

Always had some doubt tho... if it was Ubi, then sure, seems a done deal. With Konami though, I always thought they would but AFAIK they could have just bailed too cuz I never really understand WTH corporate is thinking there.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well he linked The Game Awards and they said World Premiers are a big part of the game awards.
Metal Gear Remake or Metal Gear Solid Remake
One can dream

Raynes

No one stole anything from Kojima. Solid Snake and Metal Gear are properties of Konami. It’s as if saying, “Marvel stole Spider-Man from Steve Ditko” (even though Jack Kirby designed the character). And most importantly, Kojima Productions can always develop a new Metal Gear, with Konami publishing it. That is, if both parties agree. It’s no different than when Platinum developed Revengeance and Konami published it.

No ones saying it's legally stealing, but morally it is. Using someones work (especially built up over 28 fucking years) without consent is stealing. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is moral. Why do you think there was such a backlash towards towards Metal Gear Survive? Why was it seen as dishonourable? Fans will always see it as stealing his work for money. Something that was developed with passion being turned into something developed for greed. If they release a remake or remaster, the fans that play it will get it with guilt.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
No ones saying it's legally stealing, but morally it is. Using someones work (especially built up over 28 fucking years) without consent is stealing. Just because something is legal doesn't mean it is moral. Why do you think there was such a backlash towards towards Metal Gear Survive? Why was it seen as dishonourable? Fans will always see it as stealing his work for money. Something that was developed with passion being turned into something developed for greed. If they release a remake or remaster, the fans that play it will get it with guilt.
People hate on Survive because people love Kojima. And when Konami and Kojima split, he got the fans in the divorce. And I get that. It was hard to root for a cooperation that let their IPs die, dissolved Team Silent, removed Koji Igarashi, treated employees poorly, and now got rid of everyone’s favorite auteur (Kojima). People had enough. That’s not the case for everyone, but that was the majority of people. There wasn’t this much backlash when Acid came out. That’s because Kojima was still a Konami employee. So it became cool to hate Survive. Even people who have never played it just threw shit at it. And when I say “played”, I’m not talking about rushing through the game so people can rush to their favorite forum just to be part of the shit-talking team. The only authentic negative review imo was from Jeff Gerstmann because he did play the game. That’s why people hate Survive. It has nothing to do with “stealing”. You can’t steal work that you own.
Kojima didn’t make metal gear alone either. He fired people along the way that helped make the franchise as popular as it is.

nowhat

I wish Sony and Konami would share Metal Gear and Snake like how Sony and Marvel Studios are sharing Spiderman.
They're not sharing, really. Sony Pictures has owned the rights to Spider-Man (respect the hyphen!) since like forever, but IMHO only recently that has started to pay off. I watched the Raimi Spider-Man 2 recently and... I don't think it has aged well. The bit where Spidey stops a train and has his mask removed and people are like "oh no worries, we'll tell no one" - it was cringy when I first saw it, it remains very cringy still. However, I think "Homecoming" was not only the best Spider-Man movie ever, but also one of the best MCU movies. So they hit the right note there, hopefully it continues.

When it comes to games, up until 2014 (or thereabouts) the rights were owned by Activision. After that contract expired, I guess Sony bought the rights, and sure enough, Marvel studios helped Insomniac in creating the game. But it's still not sharing. I wonder if Marvel/Disney will consider founding game studios of their own. They have the $$$s for it, but it would be a gamble still.

Last edited:

Toe-Knee

I was hoping for a Bluepoint metal gear game remake when the rumors started. But then they put up a job description, asking for artists with experience with armor and weapons. It sounds more Souls than Metal Gear I’m afraid.

So I’m reading these comments below mine and... Konami is not giving up their IPs that make them money in video games. They may not develop games under these franchises, but they will always publish them. No one stole anything from Kojima. Solid Snake and Metal Gear are properties of Konami. It’s as if saying, “Marvel stole Spider-Man from Steve Ditko” (even though Jack Kirby designed the character). And most importantly, Kojima Productions can always develop a new Metal Gear, with Konami publishing it. That is, if both parties agree. It’s no different than when Platinum developed Revengeance and Konami published it.
But metal gear has both body armour and weapons.

Did they specifically state plate armour and non ballistic weapons?

thelastword

Banned
I don't usually get into this buy this buy this phase, but If I was Sony I'd buy Konami.......There are lots of IP's that's just idle they could probably make great again....Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid would be good pickups....Then we're looking at Silent Hill, Contra, Zone of the Enders, Policenauts, Suikoden etc.....It would a solid buy to say the least....Notwithstanding, they've had a good relationship with Konami over the years, the SOTN/ROB pack + ZOE2 MARS indicates as such.....

Last edited:
I don't usually get into this buy this buy this phase, but If I was Sony I'd buy Konami.......There are lots of IP's that's just idle they could probably make great again....Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid would be good pickups....Then we're looking at Silent Hill, Contra, Zone of the Enders, Policenauts, Suikoden etc.....It would a solid buy to say the least....We can see, that they've had a good relationship with Konami over the years, the SOTN/ROB pack + ZOE2 MARS indicates as such.....

Looking at that list, they'd be profiting off the work created by pretty much every single creative person that they've screwed over the years. No thanks. I don't want to buy their games or see a buyout if it means Konami sees a cent.

Raynes

People hate on Survive because people love Kojima. And when Konami and Kojima split, he got the fans in the divorce. And I get that. It was hard to root for a cooperation that let their IPs die, dissolved Team Silent, removed Koji Igarashi, treated employees poorly, and now got rid of everyone’s favorite auteur (Kojima). People had enough. That’s not the case for everyone, but that was the majority of people. There wasn’t this much backlash when Acid came out. That’s because Kojima was still a Konami employee. So it became cool to hate Survive. Even people who have never played it just threw shit at it. And when I say “played”, I’m not talking about rushing through the game so people can rush to their favorite forum just to be part of the shit-talking team. The only authentic negative review imo was from Jeff Gerstmann because he did play the game. That’s why people hate Survive. It has nothing to do with “stealing”. You can’t steal work that you own.
Kojima didn’t make metal gear alone either. He fired people along the way that helped make the franchise as popular as it is.

Yes and why was Kojima still an employee? He approved of Acid. Your argument doesn't make sense. The fans can dislike Konami for bad split and dislike them for using his work for without consent. There is even a post right above mine that doesn't believe it's right. You are dancing around the idea of rejecting that it is morally stealing. Are you disagreeing with the fact that using someones 28 years of work for profit without their consent is stealing?

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yes and why was Kojima still an employee? He approved of Acid. Your argument doesn't make sense. The fans can dislike Konami for bad split and dislike them for using his work for without consent. There is even a post right above mine that doesn't believe it's right. You are dancing around the idea of rejecting that it is morally stealing. Are you disagreeing with the fact that using someones 28 years of work for profit without their consent is stealing?
The work belongs to Konami. The engine belongs to Konami. I’m not dancing around anything. This is why we have Might no9 and Bloodstained. Like it or not, that’s business. And I don’t see how Survive “belongs’ to Kojima. By your logic, PES belongs to Kojima too since it uses the FOX engine. They don’t need his consent. DC comics doesn’t need anyone’s approval of what they do with Batman or Superman. It’s not morally stealing, this is business.

KOMANI

KOMANI
But metal gear has both body armour and weapons.

Did they specifically state plate armour and non ballistic weapons?
“Character/Armor/weapon game assests”
I don't usually get into this buy this buy this phase, but If I was Sony I'd buy Konami.......There are lots of IP's that's just idle they could probably make great again....Castlevania, Metal Gear Solid would be good pickups....Then we're looking at Silent Hill, Contra, Zone of the Enders, Policenauts, Suikoden etc.....It would a solid buy to say the least....We can see, that they've had a good relationship with Konami over the years, the SOTN/ROB pack + ZOE2 MARS indicates as such.....
don’t forget the hudson soft properties as well since Konami acquired it. I don’t see Konami being bought. They are much healthier financially than Capcom sadly.

Raynes

The work belongs to Konami. The engine belongs to Konami. I’m not dancing around anything. This is why we have Might no9 and Bloodstained. Like it or not, that’s business. And I don’t see how Survive “belongs’ to Kojima. By your logic, PES belongs to Kojima too since it uses the FOX engine. They don’t need his consent. DC comics doesn’t need anyone’s approval of what they do with Batman or Superman. It’s not morally stealing, this is business.

The engine belongs to Konami.

Whilst Kojima and his team were making the engine, I'm pretty fucking sure he was smart enough to know and be happy for the engine to be used for other games.

Like it or not, that’s business.

Nice, you're dancing around the point again after I called you out for it. I don't care whether it's a good business decision or legal. It's about whether it was moral and whether others see it as such.

And I don’t see how Survive “belongs’ to Kojima.

Beautiful strawman. Do you work for Konami's PR team? I didn't say Survive belongs to Kojima. That doesn't believe I think Survive belongs to Kojima. I said The Metal Gear series morally belongs to Kojima Productions, since Kojima and his team invented it, built it for 28 years and ended it, so slapping Metal Gear on to any old shit for profit is gross. The only association Survive has to Kojima Production's work, is the Metal Gear name, that is what belongs to them and it would be moral to get their consent.

Just because you lack the moral fibre to realize this, doesn't mean everyone else does. If the extent of your moral compass is whether something is legal or good bussiness as you have implied, get help.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Whilst Kojima and his team were making the engine, I'm pretty fucking sure he was smart enough to know and be happy for the engine to be used for other games.

Nice, you're dancing around the point again after I called you out for it. I don't care whether it's a good business decision or legal. It's about whether it was moral and whether others see it as such.

Beautiful strawman. Do you work for Konami's PR team? I didn't say Survive belongs to Kojima. That doesn't believe I think Survive belongs to Kojima. I said The Metal Gear series morally belongs to Kojima Productions, since Kojima and his team invented it, built it for 28 years and ended it, so slapping Metal Gear on to any old shit for profit is gross. The only association Survive has to Kojima Production's work, is the Metal Gear name, that is what belongs to them and it would be moral to get their consent.

Just because you lack the moral fibre to realize this, doesn't mean everyone else does. If the extent of your moral compass is whether something is legal or good bussiness as you have implied, get help.
So I am dancing around the issue, I have no morals, and I’m a shill for Konami. Well, this is where I cease to try and converse with you. Perhaps we can begin again when you’re no longer hypnotized by the power of words; a Hideo Kojima Game.

TGO

They're not sharing, really. Sony Pictures has owned the rights to Spider-Man (respect the hyphen!) since like forever, but IMHO only recently that has started to pay off. I watched the Raimi Spider-Man 2 recently and... I don't think it has aged well. The bit where Spidey stops a train and has his mask removed and people are like "oh no worries, we'll tell no one" - it was cringy when I first saw it, it remains very cringy still. However, I think "Homecoming" was not only the best Spi
You can not be serious, its not even on par with TAS movies let alone the original trilogy and is far and far away anywhere near the top 5 MCU films

Last edited:

nowhat

Homecoming was shit, its not even on par with TAS movies let alone the original trilogy and is far and far away anywhere near the top 5 MCU films
It's as if... people can hold different opinions? Generally I seem to not be the only one that liked it, as is evident by both critical reception and box office. And I found the "new Spidey" to be good in Infinity War too. Civil War, meh, but that whole movie was pretty much meh.

TGO

It's as if... people can hold different opinions? Generally I seem to not be the only one that liked it, as is evident by both critical reception and box office. And I found the "new Spidey" to be good in Infinity War too. Civil War, meh, but that whole movie was pretty much meh.
Interesting, prefer him in Civil War tbh. Anything after has been a wasted opportunity imo

Top Bottom