• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

METAL GEAR SOLID in Unreal Engine 5

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Metal Gear Solid is one of the most important games of my life. It changed the way I see video games, and even my way of being in many things. So in a replay of the original game a while ago I was curious how the game would look like with current graphics in Unreal Engine 5 with Nanite and Lumen. And that's what I did.

Dunno why IbizaPocholo IbizaPocholo keeps promoting these fan made stuff. Just pointless and will never amount to anything except maybe a copyright strike or cease and desist or whatever.

Instead of doing stuff that gets deleted maybe they should focus on making new stuff if they have the talent.

Last edited:
cUyoaoW.png

Dr.D00p

These type of demos serve no other purpose than the authors touting their talents to developers who may be looking to hire...which is fair enough, I suppose.

These render test "remakes" are so fucking annoying. They never truly look good or keep consistent with the art style the originals were going for. It's just some young punk trying to break into the dev scene by exploiting people's nostalgia for clicks. Build a proper resume and do it the right way you little scammers.

Star-Lord

Y’all crazy. I doubt the guy was going to remake the game fully, I think he just wanted to showcase his talent, which he clearly has. Developers will see this and see what he’s capable of. I see no harm in that.

VN1X

Banned
I am so tired of these.
No. It doesn't look good
Yeah I hate to say this but "kids these days" (ie: graphicswhores) have no clue why you can't just transplant some assets into a new engine, turn up all the bells and whistles to 11 and call it a day lol. Half the work is the art itself and refinement in visual details such as post-processing techniques and what not.

No amount of depth of field, ray-tracing and volumetric lighting can save your "X Game in Unreal Engine" from looking like an Asylum ripoff from the original.

Sybrix

Every generation there are these 'remake' vids in the next Unreal engine, hardly any of them look good.

Also, why is he walking like an ape?

Last edited:

Soodanim

Obviously it's amateur quality, but it's fine in a "Here's a proof of concept" type of way as a slight glance into what a proper remake could possibly look like if Konami weren't Konami.

I still think a modern MGS remake would need to be reworked unless the guards are as OP as Snake, because there's so few of them in total.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Looks bad for what it is supposed to do.
What is even the point of such videos? “I can make videogames, look at me!”?

Rat Rage

PS1 original looks way better to me. "Realism" and and ugly ass realistic lighting doesn't automatically make graphics look "better". "Better" is subjective. The appeal of graphics lies in the overall look and sometimes their imperfections. Those impferfections often help immerse people because not only do they help with the suspension of disbelief, but also leave room for your own imagination.

PS1 graphics in particular still look great to me because of these very reasons.

MiguelItUp

It's always cool to get a glimpse of what could've been or what could be. But this one, and that Silent Hill one, were pretty rough. Sure, some neat looking things compared to the original. But a lot of things stick out like a sore thumb that just kind of ruin the experience. Like the stock animations, camera placement/FOV, etc.

I still applaud them for what they're doing, but yeah, reading this title and the previous Silent Hill thread, I was expecting a bit more, lol.

Teslerum

I don't have anything against the concept like some of here do, but...

That charachter model is horribad. Completely the wrong way to invoke nostalgia.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

This is a remake of the opening sequence from Metal Gear Solid (PSX - 1998). Thanks to Unreal Engine 5 and the Lumen technology, I've been able to recreate the iconic heliport scene where Solid Snake gets to see for the first time Liquid Snake while he flies an Hind-D.

This cutscene took me one month to complete, while the Heliport itself took a good 75% of this time window. I really pushed Unreal Engine 5 to the limit while working on this project, with graphics and post processing that would be suitable for next-gen like PlayStation 5.

I wanted to keep the mood similar to the original game but also incorporating camera shots from Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, since they feel more adequate for a cinematic feel.

Let's hope Konami keeps going with the Silent Hill route they took and remake the Metal Gear franchise as well in 2023!

CGNoire

Looks shit.

Whats the point of Nanite if your still gonna go with low poly geometry? Who gives a fuck then?

And whats up with this lumen implementation. The bounce light is barely even showing up and the enviroments still look flat?

Why goto all the trouble and use such character models to bute?

People have such low standards now a days. These people are more like craftsman under the disguise of being an artist.

Top Bottom