• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake Announced - Master Collection coming in Autumn 2023 | PlayStation Showcase

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Cool. Hard to get excited with zero gameplay shown and no idea whos making the damn game.

Who is the dev studio?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Have you seen the direct feed shots of the game? Game looks like a high res mod by a fan group. They are using the original recording for sure.

I sincerely hope they're not just using the same 1 : 1 recording and at least have it re-recorded ala Twin Snakes.

And the screens don't scream UE5 but they look very nice. The vegetation etc is pretty good.

Noxxera

I sincerely hope they're not just using the same 1 : 1 recording and at least have it re-recorded ala Twin Snakes.

And the screens don't scream UE5 but they look very nice. The vegetation etc is pretty good.

You're stupid af if you think they're gonna re-record the lines. Lmao.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Man that was a TERRIBLE trailer. What a lame reveal.

I'm a massive MGS fan and I gotta agree.

Kojima crafted those trailers so well, anyone who thinks having someone actually design and edit those trailers now knows why that was a big deal back then, you could very much feel it was done by someone lessor. I'd argue the only thing they got right was the fucking theme song lol

There are lots of ways to use that short amount of time to convey the idea of MGS3 to increase hype and make a trailer fit to respect how legendary the game is, instead you get this fucking anaconda esk thing, person walking in the jungle revealed to be naked snake, title lol This could have been done much better.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Bet on using 1:1.

I’m warming up to the idea of exactly the same game with PS4 era graphics.

Noxxera

Kojima crafted those trailers so well, anyone who thinks having someone actually design and edit those trailers now knows why that was a big deal back then, you could very much feel it was done by someone lessor. I'd argue the only thing they got right was the fucking theme song lol

There are lots of ways to use that short amount of time to convey the idea of MGS3 to increase hype and make a trailer fit to respect how legendary the game is, instead you get this fucking anaconda esk thing, person walking in the jungle revealed to be naked snake, title lol This could have been done much better.
I think the purpose was to caught everyone off guard, and it did. Personally I'm not too hyped for it, can might as well be a half-assed remake/remaster. First I thought when we saw the ants it was that survival game where you're as tiny as the ants.

Gimme twin sneks too
when-you-offer-your-dog-food-funny-animals.gif

dotnotbot

I like the teaser, dont know why theres so much negativity. It focuses on the survival aspect of this game. The only thing I didn't like was snake having a squint.

Last edited:

Well this was more of a teaser. If you remember Kojima also put out shit trailers in his days. Like the reveal for MGS3.....Raiden and Snake playing musical chairs to see who stays as a main character. Judging how little we were given and that the whole collection is coming out this year, Id say this has a looooong way to go. They should of at least have Snake say a one liner in the trailer.

Although it's not my favorite, I suppose it's the one that makes the most sense to remake. Hopefully the camo system gets streamlined to a degree.

RaduN

So, as i correctly assumed, they are remaking (well...re-texturing) MGS3 and not 1, simply because everything is already done, so it's done with minimal effort and money. All the voices are the same, the cutscenes are the same (thank god for that), all levels are done.

Remaking 1 would have meant building all from zero.

The way it looks, they probably could have squeezed it on ps4 as well...probably.

GeNoMe

I’m reserving all opinions and judgement until I see it in action, some real gameplay. But I gotta say, seeing my boy really hyped me up. Metal Gear is finally back.

67Frxbe.png

efef.png

Will Ferrell Lol GIF by NBA
What a ripoff..whats stopping people from just playing these games on backwards compat/xbox...emulators..or from one of the many re-releases before

I bought this back in 2013 and got all those games plus more lol:
MGL_cover_art.jpg

They honestly should have just put these titles up on PS+ and Gamepass for the free download, because this is pointless.

I'm surprised how much faith people seem to have in Konami with regards to handling MGS after you know who is no longer involved....wasn't the last thing they did with the series an MGS Co-Op zombie killer game lol?

Everyone here has so much faith but I can't put this thing out of my memory:
Metal_Gear_Survive_cover_art.jpg

its my fave franchise...but iunnnnno bro

Last edited:

GenericUser

The geometry of the levels seem to be mostly untouched, so this seems more like a remaster/remake hybrid to me. I'm not that interested in such a thing, to be honest. Unless it's obviously drenched in soul like the RE4 remake, I'm more or less done with remakes anyway.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Interesting that it says "Vol. 1" on the cover, we can probably expect a second volume at some point that will likely include Peace Walker, MGS4, and MGS5. Although I'm secretly hoping for TTS to be included in that second volume because remastering or re-releasing MGS5 for that package doesn't make a lot of sense. It's still a fairly current-gen game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Visuals aside, I can't say I'm excited - it can turn out to be shit just cuz of who's making it. I mean, it's not Bluepoint which are the masters of visual remakes. We have to wait and see, but again, my expectations are very low.

As for the Master Colletion, I can't help but think that it's just going to be PS3 verions with as little effort put into them as possible, even 4K won't change a thing and especially for the very first game due to its age and tech. PS3 HD Collection also had way more games than just MGS2-PW, even though PW in terms of gameplay wasn't very good. I wonder what'll be in the Vol.2. I don't think I wan't to play AC!D games or Portable Ops, no thank you.

Obviously the actual game every MGS fan wants to see on modern platforms is MGS4, but I guess we'll have to wait longer for that one. I hope it'll be a modern visual remaster though with an option to play original game.

GooseMan69

Excited to play all the classic Metal Gears again, but this has half assed rush job written all over it. We don’t even know who’s making it. I figure it’s just gonna be vanilla MGS 3 with fancy cutscenes and environments. A glorified remaster in other words. And that’s fine with me honestly.

Anybody expecting the Resident Evil remake treatment is gonna be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Remake? You know I bought snake eater way back when I just started seriously gaming in my twenties. I never gave it a fair shake. To be honest, I never made psst the first level.
I'll gladly invest in this on day one - as long as it's not as pretentious as mgs5 (which I should give a fairer shake to as well.)

Sounds cool.

It's been 20 years since MGS3 no? People voices change. Actors die or leave the industry.

This is why remakes don't interest me much. Can't recapture the lightning.

Nankatsu

Being Snake Eater and not MGS1 feels weird, but most likely they are targeting the narrative to newscomers.

Nostalgic people will always buy the game anyway.

Just look at the Yakuza series. It's boom started with Yakuza 0 and that's where most of newcomers start when they come in contact with the series, they don't play the games on their chronologic release order.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Maybe I'm going insane but hear me out...
Hear Me Out Elon Musk GIF by Saturday Night Live

Does Microsoft/Xbox have the real marketing deal with Konami for Metal Gear Solid 3 Remake?

Check out the Playstation Blog.
Does anyone else find it odd that Metal Gear Solid 3 hasn't got its own dedicated blog post?

Games that are pretty "meh" in comparison even got their own blogposts.

Konami has already released screens for the game (which look a bit fucking shit IMO), which suggests there might be some gameplay footage waiting to be revealed.

Alternatively,
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

it's just coming at the Summer Game Fest main event..?

skit_data

The trailer was really wierd but I'm really happy the collection was announced because I've only played the first MGS and it's always been one of those franchises I wanted to deep dive into

DelireMan7

Just saw that the official name is "Metal Gear Solid Triangle : Snake Eater" ?! Triangle ?! What were they smoking ?! xD

Just add "Remake" below the original title is it's good.

EDIT : My bad it's just a website that said it's "Triangle" no official pronunciation yet. Still I stand on the "just add Remake after the title" stance xD

Last edited:
So, its not a ground up remake from scratch, like Resident Evil 2, its reskinned/retextured like Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 in the Master Chief Collection?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So, its not a ground up remake from scratch, like Resident Evil 2, its reskinned/retextured like Halo Combat Evolved and Halo 2 in the Master Chief Collection?

Somewhere in between. Levels look to have nearly identical geometry but it will likely have a control overhaul and other qol features such as the crouch-walk from the 3DS version. Voice acting is also being re-recorded unlike the master chief collection, and I would expect a new rendition of the soundtrack too.

DelireMan7

I would say, since there is the remaster in the collection, that it's a Remake from scratch. At least I hope.

Top Bottom