• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was released 20 years ago

VulcanRaven

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty was released on November 13, 2001. One of the best PS2 games and far ahead of its time. I think it has aged well and is still as good as it was 20 years ago. I hope the rumors are true and Konami will remaster the games for current consoles.

Kojima has been tweeting about it today:

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

The chills I had when Snake landed on that rain lashed deck will never be topped.
The inner monologues were fun too.
Memories not too good but iirc you could press L3/R3 to hear the thoughts of the Characters whilst talking on the Codec.
Raiden thinking "Why don't you do it?!!" made me belly laugh.
Too many great things to mention about this Masterpiece 👍👍👍👍👍👍

bender

What time is it?
It's a brilliant narrative and the twist will never be accomplished again. I still think, outside of the Tanker level which is a brilliant sandbox, it is the weakest entry in the series in terms of levels (big shell) and bosses.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
One of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.

MGS2 takes on the idea of conspiracy theories, and runs with them. Back when I played it I hadn't been exposed to any of these theories yet. So, the story was mind blowing.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Aging Matt Damon GIF

protonion

The hype was unreal back then.

The reveal trailer felt that it came from the future. Even developers were blown away.

I remember I didn't have internet and I visited a friend to see the trailer. Then we split some small clips of it in floppy discs to share it! What a period that was!

My random memories:

- playing the demo one million times and uploading my score on the konami site. I was in the top 10 for a while!

- the epic intro music when jumping off the bridge

- the particle effects during the Fortune fight

- the harrier fight

- the parrot scene and Snake/Otacon hug. I cried...

- Ocelot/Liquid stealing Ray

- Fortune deflecting the missiles before dying. Chills every time

- Colonel's famous final codec call

-the dog tag in the end

A timeless classic.

In my heart the first mgs remains the best though.

Dr. Suchong

News of this turning 20 and a new series of Gamesmaster starting without Dominic diamond, Dave Perry, and a plethora of classic UK games magazine reviewers made my stomach lurch twice today.
Phew.. my head and heart 🥲

Orta

Banned
After the brilliance of the tanker level came the biggest gaming disappointment of all time for me.

Fucking Raiden.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The trailer was such a huge deal Konami released it on DVD in Japan (I had a copy)
Not my picture BUT I do own this
g399762976.1.jpg

Probably the greatest game experience I ever had, probably followed by Silent Hill 2
Yes Konami you have fucked up big time.

Chiggs

I don’t think it holds up well at all, but there’s no denying how incredible it’s presentation was.

Business

The hype was unreal back then.

The reveal trailer felt that it came from the future. Even developers were blown away.

I remember I didn't have internet and I visited a friend to see the trailer. Then we split some small clips of it in floppy discs to share it! What a period that was!

My random memories:

- playing the demo one million times and uploading my score on the konami site. I was in the top 10 for a while!

- the epic intro music when jumping off the bridge

- the particle effects during the Fortune fight

- the harrier fight

- the parrot scene and Snake/Otacon hug. I cried...

- Ocelot/Liquid stealing Ray

- Fortune deflecting the missiles before dying. Chills every time

- Colonel's famous final codec call

-the dog tag in the end

A timeless classic.

In my heart the first mgs remains the best though.

You said it, this thing looked like it came from the future, impossible. A bit like Gran Turismo 3. These things were so ahead of anything else.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Incredible memories of the first and this instalment. Truly groundbreaking at the time, guess you had to be there. I know they don’t really hold up today in terms of controls but I can just remember loving every second as a young lad. Simpler times.

The hype levels for this game were through the roof for me personally as MGS is my all time favorite.

Replaying MGS2 on 360 BC recently for nostalgias sake and it was shocking how well Kojima predicted the rise of misinformation and the bubbles social media places you in.

Hugare

Feel blessed to have experienced the 2000's in gaming while growing up

So many gems. I was 8 when MGS 2 launched, and I was absolutely in shock watching those graphics at the tank mission.

ethomaz

Banned
It is the worst game in the main franchise in gameplay, characters and story.
Even so it is good to see how low quality Kojima can go.

Edit - Fixed… it is the worst game in the mainline franchise… it is still way better than Rising.

Last edited:

GametimeUK

I remember staying up way past my bedtime to finish this game before I had to go school the next day. My favourite entry to the series and always has been. This game was never unappreciated in its time for me, I fully loved it. Crazy to think it was 20 years ago. The way they pulled the bait and switch with Snake in pre release material was just fucking amazing looking back at it. We'll never get anything like that ever again considering everything leaks these days.

I honestly never understood what was so confusing about the story. It was wild for sure, and had a ton of layers, but I never thought it was confusing at all. In this day and age specifically, it makes more sense than ever.

PhaseJump

Banned
This headline must then mean that 20 years ago, I was glue sticking Santa hats and snowflake ornaments to a drawing of Snoopy laying on his dog house; so I could get a high school diploma.

VulcanRaven

The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 disc was great. You could see many things cut from the game like early character models and enviroments. It was released with Substance here in Europe.
51odaIFhdsL.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom