• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 Now Backward Compatible on XB1

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You can sneak past guards and stop convoluted global conspiracies on Xbox One now, with the addition of two more Metal Gear Solid games. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater have just been added to the platform's backwards compatibility list. They're available combined as part of the Metal Gear Solid HD Edition, originally released on Xbox 360, for $20 / £15.

Metal Gear Solid 2 was the radical follow-up to the original, but divided fans at the time. Whereas its marketing focused heavily on the return of protagonist Solid Snake, some fans were disappointed that a significant amount of the game starred a new character, Raiden. (He's gone on to more prominent parts in later games, as well as his own game, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.) Metal Gear Solid 3 took the series back in time, starring a younger Big Boss as Naked Snake and introducing more complex camouflage and survival systems. Both are critically acclaimed classics in their genre.

As always, if you have the original Metal Gear Solid HD Edition Xbox 360 disc you can just pop it into your Xbox One system and play it right away. If you own it digitally, it will already be a part of your downloadable library, so you can grab it from your purchased games.

Microsoft has been regularly releasing new backwards compatible games since introducing the feature in November 2015. The list is now pretty sizable and getting longer all the time, so if you have some Xbox or Xbox 360 discs, don't get rid of them just yet. They might join the line-up sometime soon.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-one-backwards-compatibility-brings-two-classi/1100-6462385/
Starting to get embarrassing now Sony

Zimmy68

Finally installed it yesterday and played through the start of one of my favorite games of all time, MGS3.
Good news: It runs great, getting the exact same experience as you would on the 360.
Which is kind of the bad news also. I would have loved the Red Dead treatment but you can't have everything.

I was very happy to see my cloud saves where still there. I had a completed save with everything unlocked including the EZ Gun.

Now to try MGS2.

Last edited:

Thiagosc777

What is ironic is that Metal Gear Solid has always been associated to Playstation . I really love this feature and have spent hundreds of hours playing 360 games on the X1.

Now that some classics are being remade, Resident Evil 2, I wouldn't mind the first MGS remade with modern graphics and mechanics.

Zimmy68

What is ironic is that Metal Gear Solid has always been associated to Playstation . I really love this feature and have spent hundreds of hours playing 360 games on the X1.

Now that some classics are being remade, Resident Evil 2, I wouldn't mind the first MGS remade with modern graphics and mechanics.

Which will never happen because it would mean that Konami and Hideo would have to work together approving things.

VulcanRaven

Now I'm sad that I don't have Xbox One. I hope Sony has something planned. There are many PS2 game available for PS4 so I wonder why Konami doesn't release these games?

Finally installed it yesterday and played through the start of one of my favorite games of all time, MGS3.
Good news: It runs great, getting the exact same experience as you would on the 360.
Which is kind of the bad news also. I would have loved the Red Dead treatment but you can't have everything.

I was very happy to see my cloud saves where still there. I had a completed save with everything unlocked including the EZ Gun.

Now to try MGS2.

Do they run better than on Xbox 360? It ran 60fps most of the time but there are some drops. I remember it getting really bad when I destroyed the helicopter before Ocelot fight.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I wouldn't mind the first MGS remade with modern graphics and mechanics.

Hahaha, good luck with that one. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind it either, but Konami.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
first MGS was already remade for the Gamecube and then soft remade with modern graphics in MGS4. Shadow Moses is there and the bosses through the entire game are all ripoffs of the MGS bosses. i really don't get the desire to keep remaking this game over and over.

the original is fine as it is. besides, a remake with modern controls could be beatable in about an hour. unless they keep all the "walk across a room, hear a 5 minute codec, walk across the next room, sit through another codec" stuff, which just wouldn't work in a modern context. "surprise you have to backtrack to find the sniper rifle!" this type of game structure worked in the original but not for modern games. it would have to be a complete re-imagining, at which point, it's basically an entirely new game.

love MGS2/3 tho. i replayed 3 recently and to me it still stands out as the most playable after MGSV.

Last edited:

Zimmy68

Peacewalker is included in the physical version as a separate disc.
That was previously BC.

I'm not sure how it ran on the 360 but the YouTube videos of the Xbox One X say 1080p and 60fps (I think)

Thiagosc777

first MGS was already remade for the Gamecube and then soft remade with modern graphics in MGS4. Shadow Moses is there and the bosses through the entire game are all ripoffs of the MGS bosses. i really don't get the desire to keep remaking this game over and over.

the original is fine as it is. besides, a remake with modern controls could be beatable in about an hour. unless they keep all the "walk across a room, hear a 5 minute codec, walk across the next room, sit through another codec" stuff, which just wouldn't work in a modern context. "surprise you have to backtrack to find the sniper rifle!" this type of game structure worked in the original but not for modern games. it would have to be a complete re-imagining, at which point, it's basically an entirely new game.

love MGS2/3 tho. i replayed 3 recently and to me it still stands out as the most playable after MGSV.

I would agree with relatively modern games. But PS1 games are so old and look so date that a remake wouldn't be too bad. And yes, they would have to change things in the level design in order to accomodate a new camera and controls. Capcom is doing similar with Resident Evil 2.

VulcanRaven

I think they should just remaster The Twin Snakes in HD and include the original game too.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
This is good news.

I would rather play the original mgs2/3 ps2 versions. Hopefully this rumor about ps5 being BC with past playstation catalogues comes true. But now that I think about it, if that rumor does come true, the ds5 would need analog/pressure sensative buttons. I doubt that would happen.
I guess this is our only option for the foreseeable future. Still not a fan of playing mgs2/3 on current controllers.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I ordered a copy from Amazon on Tuesday. It should be here today. I haven’t played either game since they first released, so I’m looking forward to replaying them.

RAIDEN1

For me MGS 1-4 is where its at....I just could not get into MGS5....despite its gameplay revolutions...just didn't have that draw for me...

Woffls

Hell yeeahhh. Don't need to replay these any time soon, but I did actually play a bit of MGS2 yesterday to see what Euro Extreme was like... I got as far as the first boss and fucking noooope.

Now get me some PGR and render it at 4k so I can actually see the corners in time!

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
For me MGS 1-4 is where its at....I just could not get into MGS5....despite its gameplay revolutions...just didn't have that draw for me...
I'm the same way. To me it's the best the series has ever played, but it lacks what I loved about the series and that's a major focus on story. Regardless of how convoluted it go, I was always interested and compelled to keep going and find out what happens next. With MGSV, I honestly couldn't care less about whatever bits of story there are. One of the biggest disappointments in gaming.

RAIDEN1

I'm the same way. To me it's the best the series has ever played, but it lacks what I loved about the series and that's a major focus on story. Regardless of how convoluted it go, I was always interested and compelled to keep going and find out what happens next. With MGSV, I honestly couldn't care less about whatever bits of story there are. One of the biggest disappointments in gaming.
Exactly all that hype and years they were working on the project yet at the end of the day it was the least immersive of the lot....

nani17

are in a big trouble
:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: better than new exclusives

TGO TGO Embarrassing how? What's worse buying a 500 dollar system that lacks exclusives and only focuses on BC or a system that's constantly feeding triple A first party titles. Look at the recent articles MS are preparing for next-gen already this gen for me has been a flop

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I was thinking of pulling out the old PS3 and doing a let's play.
Sadly PS4 only owners can't join in, the irony

You know we're in some dark timeline when the current Xbox console can play more Metal Gear Solid games than the current Playstation console.

TLZ

Banned
I wish I could have the same treatment in my PS4, just inset my PS2 MGS 2 and play.

Please make this a reality on ps5 Sony.

TheWatcher

Banned
This is what pisses me off about Sony. I would love to play Shadow of Rome and the Onimusha Series on my Playstation 4.

Top Bottom