• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metacritic Users Vote The Last Of Us Part II as Best Game Of The Year - **It Wasnt Even Close**

ethomaz

Banned
Meanwhile the current user ratings are around 150k with 76k reviews vs 10 194
joH1T7P.jpg

It is not possible to currently read the reviews except the 8 of them.
gNWXrbF.jpg

Still congrats with the 10k votes with 50% off bargain bin price.

Lol never knew they also deleted a big amount of negative reviews. So much for these Metacritic users.
That shows how many fake user scores were done at launch lol

People really work hard about the hate.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Nobody has said that.

The game was going to be loved by a huge chunk of people no matter what, just with the woke crowd and the Sony fanboys, you have already millions of fans of the game pretty much guaranteed.

But is one of the most divisive games ever because it's an absolute clusterfuck from a narrative point and because of the SJW obsession of preaching politics within videogames.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/g...d.&text=At the end of all,II to win the honor.

Literally in the most relevant poll, GoT beated TLOU2.

I'm sure there are dozens of little polls like this one of Metacritic that nobody heard about in which TLOU2 wins, but that hardly represents gamers when at the same time Metacritic erased thousands of bad reviews of the game in a silly attempt at trying to control the narrative.

And still, the game has a 5'7 average.

And yes, this year has been incredibly weak when it comes to GOTY material. GoT shouldn't even be in a GOTY list at all, but it's the closest competitor of TLOU2.
The game is loved because it is really great.

Why try to find excuse to deny the quality of the game? It is weird.

Last edited:
over 700 hours in a furry minigame collecting bugs and branches, but wouldn't give GOTY for minor annoyances

then they vote for The Lesbo of Us 2

and we are supposed to take this seriously :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You're one of those people who think they're funny when they aren't. Yeah best game doesn't equal the game you've put the most hours into. Most people play more hours of COD than anything else but they wouldn't vote it as GOTY. You people are incredibly stupid here.

Jon Neu

Banned
The game is loved because it is really great.

Why try to find excuse to deny the quality of the game? It is weird.

I think the game, outside of the absolutely horrible amateurish script, it's great.

But you can't ignore the script in a game like this, so it's pretty understandable that a lot of people gave the game a super bad score.

Warablo

It nailed everything you need in a single player game: story, world, environment, gameplay and graphics.

It is really hard to find a low point in TLOU2... even it weakness is still top in the industry.
The low point hits the middle part of the game, then you flashback and do it all again. With even flashbacks within flashbacks. I have no problem with Abby, I thought she was badass. Just pacing was awful.

Umm, no ... Ghost of Tsushima, Half Life Alyx, Animal Crossing, Doom Eternal, Ori, MSFS, FF7 Remake, Hades: there was plenty of competition.\
Ah, a VR game no one played. A Switch exclusive top down farm game. A no story demon slayer shooter. A 2d platformer. Another niche vr game. Another Sony remake. A top down rogue like.

Ghost of Tsushima only legit contender there.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I think the game, outside of the absolutely horrible amateurish script, it's great.

But you can't ignore the script in a game like this, so it's pretty understandable that a lot of people gave the game a super bad score.
But you said only Sony fanboys and woke can love the game...

When the game qualities are ahead most of the games released this generation.

I found the script good for example.

Which games launched this year has better script than TLOU2? You will find one or two and that is all.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Umm, no ... Ghost of Tsushima, Half Life Alyx, Animal Crossing, Doom Eternal, Ori, MSFS, FF7 Remake, Hades: there was plenty of competition.
Nice picks, but what about Yakuza 7? Game has a great story and gameplay, and I think more people should try it.

A no story demon slayer shooter
I can't see how that could be a bad thing. :messenger_sunglasses:

ethomaz

Banned
The low point hits the middle part of the game, then you flashback and do it all again. With even flashbacks within flashbacks. I have no problem with Abby, I thought she was badass. Just pacing was awful.
Pacing is probably the only complain I read that I can agree... I’m a JRPG lover so pace in games were never a issue to me... the opposite my playtime is always bigger than most people because I keep doing exploration and things others don’t.

But which game nowadays doesn’t have pacing issues?

I mean in the past games have way bigger pace issues and nobody cared... from last gen critics and gamers started to create the pacing narrative.

Seems like games are becoming bored of playing games lol

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
not surprised with how hard their fanbase tried to get the user score up and bullied anyone that didnt adore it

people who didnt like it moved on where as fanboys keep lingering waiting for anyone to call homophobe
The opposite.
A lot of gamers tried everything to make the game have low scores even before play it lol

I mean there is people in this own thread quoting his own hate post because others didn’t share the same view of the game... so he had to make his hate “louder”.

We are really into the Trump age.

Last edited:

Warablo

No. A VR game that you haven’t played.

It’s absolutely fucking incredible. There are a number of moments in the game that will stay with me for the rest of my life.
I am not criticizing the game, I am saying no one played the game because hardly anyone has a VR. It could be game of the year quality, still doesn't change the fact that hardly anyone played it.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I am not criticizing the game, I am saying no one played the game because hardly anyone has a VR. It could be game of the year quality, still doesn't change the fact that hardly anyone played it.
The game broke records of concurrent players, almost 50000 at the same time. I think that's a lot of people, and while I can't find the numbers of total players I'm sure they are quite high too.

Stop pretending VR is not a thing.

The game broke records of concurrent players, almost 50000 at the same time. I think that's a lot of people, and while I can't find the numbers of total players I'm sure they are quite high too.

Stop pretending VR is not a thing.
Dude all he is saying is that barely anyone played it which is the truth. It's a great game but you even saying 50,000 at the same time just further proves the point. Until the game comes to more platforms no one out there will hardly know how great it is.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Dude all he is saying is that barely anyone played it which is the truth. It's a great game but you even saying 50,000 at the same time just further proves the point. Until the game comes to more platforms no one out there will hardly know how great it is.
Game has surpassed 2 million owners on steam, how is that barely anyone?

Last edited:
You're one of those people who think they're funny when they aren't. Yeah best game doesn't equal the game you've put the most hours into. Most people play more hours of COD than anything else but they wouldn't vote it as GOTY. You people are incredibly stupid here.
you eat crap and I'm the one stupid? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Guilty_AI

That's better than I thought it was then. Still low compared to some of the other big games of last year but that's pretty good.
Of course its low compared to some others AAA, VR is still growing if compared to conventional platforms.
What these numbers show is that theres definitely a mainstream appeal for it, its not a just some niche market a handful of people play in, as some think.

Last edited:

Eternal21

At this point it's fair to say that tlou2 has just as many passionate fans that love it, if not more, than those that truly legitimately have valid reasons to not like it.

Just as many? The vast majority of players loved the game. The undeserved hate is coming from a very vocal minority. I'd venture to guess the percentage is probably 90% people with good taste to 10% haters. TLOU2 has one of the highest completion rates among Playstation titles, and has won more awards than other contenders combined (that also applies to readers' choice awards).

I read the prerelease stuff and expected to hate TLOU2. But I had it preordered and had already been charged when I read the prerelease stuff so tried it anyway.

I ended up loving it, and it was up there for my favorite game of the year.

Most of the time when I read "better scripts" it reads like a teenage fanfic that would have been much much worse than the actual game.

My only real complaint is pacing, but that's not enough for me to reduce the game down that far, especially as I also really didn't like the pacing of Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake, or Animal Crossing either.

It's not TLOU1, but the only game I'd consistently put above TLOU1 in my all time list is Spelunky HD so that's not saying much.

I read the prerelease stuff and expected to hate TLOU2. But I had it preordered and had already been charged when I read the prerelease stuff so tried it anyway.

Most of the time when I read "better scripts" it reads like a teenage fanfic that would have been much much worse than the actual game.

My only real complaint is pacing, but that's not enough for me to reduce the game down that far, especially as I also really didn't like the pacing of Ghost of Tsushima, FF7 Remake, or Animal Crossing either.

It's not TLOU1, but the only game I'd consistently put above TLOU1 in my all time list is Spelunky HD so that's not saying much.
Yeah all the people who say that the script was terrible wouldn't have any idea on how to write a better one. It's just another baseless thing that comes out of the haters mouths.

I've been playing games since the mid eighties and I think it has the best story ever told in video games. If you've ever suffered a personal loss of someone close to you too early you can relate to all 3 playable characters and the difficulty or perhaps impossibility of ever coming to terms with it and what it can do to your mind and entire life.
The first time I saw someone die was when I was 8 years old. By the time I was 18, I’d lost my mother, several cousins, two uncles and my grandparents. I’ve lost friends, family members, often in horrific ways. And I’m gonna say this games story did not resonate with me on that level at all - it in fact felt patronizing in that way. The story imo was just in general pretty unnecessarily convoluted - especially if the intended response was to get people like me to feel something relatable. You had a different experience - that’s great. The story just really didn’t hit me that way - felt like it tried really hard to hit that mark and missed. Gameplay-wise was great tho.

Guilty_AI

The first time I saw someone die was when I was 8 years old. By the time I was 18, I’d lost my mother, several cousins, two uncles and my grandparents. I’ve lost friends, family members, often in horrific ways. And I’m gonna say this games story did not resonate with me on that level at all - it in fact felt patronizing in that way. The story imo was just in general pretty unnecessarily convoluted - especially if the intended response was to get people like me to feel something relatable. You had a different experience - that’s great. The story just really didn’t hit me that way - felt like it tried really hard to hit that mark and missed. Gameplay-wise was great tho.
Holy shit, where do you live? If you don't mind me asking...

Of course its low compared to some others AAA, VR is still growing if compared to conventional platforms.
What these numbers show is that theres definitely a mainstream appeal for it, its not a just some niche market a handful of people play in, as some think.
It’s growing for sure but you can’t expect people to recognize Alyx unfortunately. So many people I know just haven’t had the chance to play it. It’s understandable. Was it the best game that came out last year? By far in my opinion. It’s one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. But the barrier for entry is pretty damn high.

ethomaz

Banned

The “script” posts are weird because 99% of the games releases have worst script than TLOU2.

When you ask which game has better script they try to say one or two game and after fall silent.

Last edited:
The “script” posts are weird because 99% of the games releases have worst script than TLOU2.

When you ask which game has better script they try to say one or two game and after fall silent.
Probably because the expectation set after last of us 1 and the way it was advertised - it is being held to a different standard than most games. As many would argue the story is the main draw of the first.

Guilty_AI

It’s growing for sure but you can’t expect people to recognize Alyx unfortunately. So many people I know just haven’t had the chance to play it. It’s understandable. Was it the best game that came out last year? By far in my opinion. It’s one of the greatest games I’ve ever played. But the barrier for entry is pretty damn high.
Well, its how it always is with new stuff. I do believe it'll become more and more mainstream with time, but it'll still take a while.
My current guess is 10 years until it becomes common enough to be treated as a "normal" platform.

Umbral

Perhaps they are considering scripts outside of games as the bar for quality. Other game scripts being bad doesn’t excuse The Last of Us: Part II from being bad. “Great for a game” isn’t a compliment.

Well, its how it always is with new stuff. I do believe it'll become more and more mainstream with time, but it'll still take a while.
My current guess is 10 years until it becomes common enough to be treated as a "normal" platform.
Hope so. It’s one of the best game experiences available. I’m hoping they port it to PsVR 2 or something so it gets a wider audience

Guilty_AI

Take any famous VN out there and chances are it has a better story.

Metacritic users? LOL. The total number of votes is as many user ratings as a lesser known indie game would get. More like pre-approved users voted for TLOU2.

They're pulling out the same exact methods they always do when it comes to underperforming products that went woke. Ignore sales/ratings, except for the first week or two before they dropped, and just talk about how the critics and fans that they agree with liked it. Then, label everyone who has legit criticisms of the product as man babies, blind haters, and bigots. Hmm, seems like that's the strategy going on in this thread too.

Still waiting on that sales update that's months overdue.

Last edited:

Mozza

10,000 votes out of 17,000 or so sounds good, but come on guys this is a niche of a group as you could find.

In other news, my house of four people, three of them think Animal crossing new horizons is game of the year, now come on this is a much bigger overall percentage. ;)

Last edited:

ZehDon

I'm a little confused. I thought none of Metacritic's user numbers could be trusted because there was no verification that the individuals even played the game. What's changed?

I thought Metacritic was open to brigading, and as such, we had to ignore its numbers. This was demonstrated easily enough - when you see the review numbers the average big title gets versus the title in question be out by hundreds of percent, it means online groups must have straight up organised and callused to ensure their agenda was being pushed. I thought that the user review score was taken as clear evidence of this, and as such, the user review score was dismissed. Did I misunderstand that shit-show, which resulted in Metacritic altering its policies?

So, casting an eye back to last year, the winner was Resident Evil 2 with just 2,088 votes, with Sekiro landing in second place with 1,813. This year, TLOUII apparently wins with 500% that number - 10,194 - with second place being only 2,079 and third 1,691... numbers that are much more inline with the numbers from previous year. I'm not saying brigading happened - but if the user reviewers were considered the result of online group organising to push an agenda because of aberrant amount of user interactions, that same reasoning would tell us that online groups organised to push an agenda with this list, too.

Looks like GoT actually won game of the year, and second place was Cyberpunk, but online groups organised to push their agenda - going by just the numbers, I mean.

Last edited:

ShadowLag

The entire art and visuals team, audio team, accessibility team, and overall tech/engine teams are 10/10 legends.

The story and gameplay teams need to step back from games for a little bit, go take a walk on a sunny day, and think about how things went this badly wrong.

Congrats to 70% of ND.

Last edited:
Metacritic users? LOL. The total number of votes is as many user ratings as a lesser known indie game would get. More like pre-approved users voted for TLOU2.

They're pulling out the same exact methods they always do when it comes to underperforming products that went woke. Ignore sales/ratings, except for the first week or two before they dropped, and just talk about how the critics and fans that they agree with liked it. Then, label everyone who has legit criticisms of the product as man babies, blind haters, and bigots. Hmm, seems like that's the strategy going on in this thread too.

Still waiting on that sales update that's months overdue.
Sony doesn't usually put out regular sales updates like Nintendo does. Dumbasses like you who think the game stopped selling after the first two weeks clearly haven't paid attention. It has still been appearing on sales charts as recent as last month and it ended the year as one of the best selling games of 2020. It didn't do that based on the first week or two of sales alone. You really can't teach stupid.

ZehDon

Sony doesn't usually put out regular sales updates like Nintendo does. Dumbasses like you who think the game stopped selling after the first two weeks clearly haven't paid attention. It has still been appearing on sales charts as recent as last month and it ended the year as one of the best selling games of 2020. It didn't do that based on the first week or two of sales alone. You really can't teach stupid.
Actually, it probably did. In 2019, Anthem launched in February, and was a complete and utter disaster. It failed to meet EA's sales projections, was mocked for low sales numbers, and was dropped by everyone who played it. And yet, it still placed in the top 10 "best selling games of the year", despite a lack of complete digital sales data. It did it mostly on its opening two weeks, before word of mouth killed it. TLOUII launched to record-setting numbers in June of 2020, but dropped hard in its second week. It's been quiet on the sales numbers front - despite Sony being happy to talk about Ghost of Tsushima's sales, which broke the records TLOUII set when it launched. With nothing further to go on, it looks like TLOUII didn't have the same legs as other Sony games, like TLOUR, U4 or GOW.

Last edited:
Actually, it probably did. In 2019, Anthem launched in February, and was a complete and utter disaster. It failed to meet EA's sales projections, was mocked for low sales numbers, and was dropped by everyone who played it. And yet, it still placed in the top 10 "best selling games of the year", despite a lack of complete digital sales data. It did it mostly on its opening two weeks, before word of mouth killed it. TLOUII launched to record-setting numbers in June of 2020, but dropped hard in its second week. It's been quiet on the sales numbers front - despite Sony being happy to talk about Ghost of Tsushima's sales, which broke the records TLOUII set when it launched. With nothing further to go on, it looks like TLOUII didn't have the same legs as other Sony games, like TLOUR, U4 or GOW.
Oh look someone who is spreading false information again. I like how you ignored the fact that TLOU2 has still been in the top sales charts as recently as the November ones. THAT is why it is still among the best selling games of the year. Anthem dropped out of them entirely and never came back. Your statement about it's second week drop is based on the UK only where pretty much every game has a similar drop. Ghost of Tsushima also hasn't broken any record set by TLOU2. Your linked article is from November and is talking about Ghost's total sales. It didn't break the 4+ million in one week that TLOU2 set. All Ghost did was become the fastest selling new IP on PS4 for Sony which means it sold more than the 2 million that Horizon Zero Dawn did at launch. Expected given the bigger install base 3 years later. So yeah TLOU2 has done just fine in sales don't worry your stupid little head over it.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I'm a little confused. I thought none of Metacritic's user numbers could be trusted because there was no verification that the individuals even played the game. What's changed?

I thought Metacritic was open to brigading, and as such, we had to ignore its numbers. This was demonstrated easily enough - when you see the review numbers the average big title gets versus the title in question be out by hundreds of percent, it means online groups must have straight up organised and callused to ensure their agenda was being pushed. I thought that the user review score was taken as clear evidence of this, and as such, the user review score was dismissed. Did I misunderstand that shit-show, which resulted in Metacritic altering its policies?

There shouldn't be any confusion.

It's very simple.

As soon as the review embargo lifted for users, you get fanboys from both sides posting reviews on Metacritic. Typically, an Xbox fanboys would rate the game 3 or below on Metacritic and PlayStation fans would rate the game 9 or above on metacritic. This happens all the time on Metacritic. This is why people don't take their user reviews seriously.

The Last of Us Part II was review bombed for the sole purpose of giving the game a bad score. There was no way over 10K people played the game at 12:01 AM. This is obvious.

Months have passed since the release of The Last of Us Part II. It has been more than enough time for people to buy it, play it and give their opinion about it. The haters have moved on and they're no longer focusing on review bombing The Last of Us Part II.

If the user reviews reflected people opinions, then why didn't they return to vote for games other than The Last of Us Part II? Many other the haters used Ghost of Tsushima against The Last of Us Part II, and if they were still around, then maybe Ghost would've received more votes than The Last of Us Part II. The fact that they didn't tells you what you should already know: The majority don't really care about either game, they just voted just to give TLOU a poor rating.

So, casting an eye back to last year, the winner was Resident Evil 2 with just 2,088 votes, with Sekiro landing in second place with 1,813. This year, TLOUII apparently wins with 500% that number - 10,194 - with second place being only 2,079 and third 1,691... numbers that are much more inline with the numbers from previous year. I'm not saying brigading happened - but if the user reviewers were considered the result of online group organising to push an agenda because of aberrant amount of user interactions, that same reasoning would tell us that online groups organised to push an agenda with this list, too.

Looks like GoT actually won game of the year, and second place was Cyberpunk, but online groups organised to push their agenda - going by just the numbers, I mean.

This doesn't make any sense.

Resident Evil 2 and Sekiro two of the most popular games last year, but they're far less popular than games like The Last of Us Part II. This means you're likely going to get more votes from one of the best selling games of the generation versus a game that sold 3-6 million copies within a year.

Top Bottom